PDA

View Full Version : Royals Look out, George Brett is pissed!

Sure-Oz
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Brett-Frustrated-by-Underachieving-Royals/Y-CJaV8tikuuLbJ5dT8Tqw.cspx

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Royals Hall-of-Famer George Brett says he and other top-level executives are “frustrated” with the way the team has been playing, and if the players aren’t as well, they won’t be around much longer.

Brett, who has served as the team's vice president of baseball operations since retiring in 1993, made the comments Tuesday on The 610 Morning Rush, on 610 Sports Radio KCSP.

“I had a long meeting with (Royals Owner) David Glass on Sunday,” Brett told show host Roger Twibell. “He’s losing his patience. He’s very very frustrated and I’m very frustrated and I’m sure (General Manager Dayton Moore) is very frustrated.”

Brett says while some players, namely Billy Butler and Willie Bloomquist, are overachieving this year, there has been a lot of underachieving on this year’s team.

“It doesn’t look pretty,” Brett said of the Royals, who as of Tuesday stood 25 games under .500 (43-68) and five games behind Cleveland for next-to-last place in the American League Central.

“Right now I think this organization has been in such a tailspin for so long, its almost like winning is not important, winning is not urgent,” Brett said.

“Hopefully Dayton and (Manager Trey Hillman) can form an opinion and get rid of some of the people that give up,” Brett said, adding he hoped the players would continue to fight hard for the rest of the season and it wouldn’t come to that.

Brett said that during his meeting with Glass on Sunday, the two stressed to each other the point that winning is important and urgent.

“We thought we had a team that was going to compete. We’re not competing and there is a sense of urgency in going out and performing in front of your fans.”

Brett says the attitude of some of the players seems like they’re content with just being in the game for seven innings.

“If (the players) aren’t frustrated, I don’t think they’ll be around next year.”

Brett has been a vocal supporter of the team and Manager Trey Hillman. In May, when asked about criticisms of Hillman dished out by local media, he responded with rather harsh words about NBC Action Sports producer Jack Harry and other area sports reporters.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
[“I had a long meeting with (Royals Owner) David Glass on Sunday,” Brett told show host Roger Twibell. “He’s losing his patience. He’s very very frustrated and I’m very frustrated and I’m sure (General Manager Dayton Moore) is very frustrated.”

Same sh*t, different year.....

KCUnited
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Ahh, little late with the outrage there, George.

Coach
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Number one, remove Trey Hillman.

Number two, tell Dayton to stop wasting $ on relievers who can't pitch worth a shit and batters who can't get on base worth a shit.

It's not fucking rocket science.

teedubya
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Fire Herm.

Hire Frank.

Mr. Krab
08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
George Brett better look out or George Brett is gonna kick his ass for talking bad about his team.

Halfcan
08-11-2009, 05:51 PM
when you go basement shopping for shit players-that is what you get

no love
08-11-2009, 06:21 PM
If George Brett actually gave a shit, he could have done something about it in '93 when he was appointed VP of Baseball Ops. George Brett is too involved with "George Brett- local hero and personality." -talk shows on 810, appearences on 610, calling people out at Golf tournaments, failed business endeavors,i.e. George Brett's plaza on the Plaza, it's been going on for years...

I don't give a shit what he says until he lifts more than the finger in Spring Training.

If he gave a shit, he should be locked at the hip with the GMDM. see Nolan Ryan and the Rangers...

Valiant
08-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Good, blow the team up except for 5-7 players..

The problem is there is not a great FA crop that would be a major upgrade with the way they are playing..

no love
08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
the problem is, you can't really blow this team up. major financial obligations to too many of the players to be exploded. guy gets cut, guy still gets paid. like unemployment.

Mecca
08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
They care so much they traded no one at the deadline saying they like their team...

Deberg_1990
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
They care so much they traded no one at the deadline saying they like their team...

Exactly.

Titty Meat
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I believe I said this a few months back, George Brett is nothing but a drunk and hearing him talk about Royals baseball is like hearing Sarah Palin talk about healthcare. Didn't the drunk say a few months ago Hillman was a good coach and the media didn't know what they were talking about?

KCTitus
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
ehhh...you get what you can pay for. A glorified minor league team..

Mr. Krab
08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
ehhh...you get what you can pay for. A glorified minor league team..
Actually the Royals payroll is close to about in the middle and at it's highest it's ever been for the Royals 70+million. They just spent the money badly.

no love
08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Actually the Royals payroll is close to about in the middle and at it's highest it's ever been for the Royals 70+million. They just spent the money badly.

bingo.

Nzoner
08-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I believe I said this a few months back, George Brett is nothing but a drunk and hearing him talk about Royals baseball is like hearing Sarah Palin talk about healthcare. Didn't the drunk say a few months ago Hillman was a good coach and the media didn't know what they were talking about?

At least he's a drunk with a World Series ring

OnTheWarpath15
08-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Who the fuck were they going to trade?

Greinke is the only guy worth trading for.

Nzoner
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Who the **** were they going to trade?

Can't you hear it now

Moore:Hey ________ it's Dayton Moore,what do you think about a trade for _______ for ___________

Other GM: ROFLROFL

doomy3
08-11-2009, 09:00 PM

:spock:

CoMoChief
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Uh how about we sign some FA's that are worth a shit.......1

And we need to draft better for sure...............2

Wasting money on relievers and bullshit DH's is just fucking stupid..........3

Pioli Zombie
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Fuck George Brett in his hemmoroid ass. I've never heard such a loudmouth former ballplayer. Either get in the game and take over a team or shut your back in my day pie hole.
I thought Curt Schilling was a pain in the ass......
Posted via Mobile Device

KCCHIEFS27
08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
We tried to sign FA's that are worth a shit..unfortunately they can see through the smoke and don't want to come play for this club.
“Hopefully Dayton and (Manager Trey Hillman) can form an opinion and get rid of some of the people that give up,” Brett said, adding he hoped the players would continue to fight hard for the rest of the season and it wouldn’t come to that.
So, if they play hard the rest of the season then everything is okay and we continue this same cycle next year? This guy really knows how to reach the players.

Goldmember
08-11-2009, 09:47 PM
“If (the players) aren’t frustrated, I don’t think they’ll be around next year.”

That's EXACTLY what the players want George....the hell out of KC!

Pioli Zombie
08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Oooooooooh. What a threat.

Hey, if you guys don't watch it, we're going trade you from this loser, suck ass organization to the Yankees or Dodgers or someplace.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Who the **** were they going to trade?

They have plenty of top minor league prospects who hold significant value: Hosmer, Moosetacos, and Hosmer top the list. On the ML club, Soria would have been (and still is) an enormous chip.

To a lesser extent, Butler, DeJesus, Teahen, and Gordon could bring something of value, and the order of my list reflects the level of return.

MadMax
08-11-2009, 11:18 PM
**** George Brett in his hemmoroid ass. I've never heard such a loudmouth former ballplayer. Either get in the game and take over a team or shut your back in my day pie hole.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are a fucking tool!!!

T-post Tom
08-12-2009, 12:10 AM
**** George Brett in his hemmoroid ass. I've never heard such a loudmouth former ballplayer. Either get in the game and take over a team or shut your back in my day pie hole.
Posted via Mobile Device

FYI: Brett is the Vice President of Baseball Operations. With that in mind, I think that his comments were well within the scope of his position. Why the hate? Did he cut you off in traffic or something?

WilliamTheIrish
08-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Brett can say anything that he pleases. Guys who played hard and won, get that latitude.

MadMax
08-12-2009, 03:26 AM

Damn I almost forgot how fuckin brilliant you are.STFU

BigRedChief
08-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Posted via Mobile Device
Not cool.:shake: George Brett played the game as it should be played with passion and grit. He has earned the right to say whatever he wants to say. He has walked the walk and he can talk the talk without coming off as pretenious. IMHO.

I think the Royals issues are in drafting, picking up tier 2 free agents and coaching.

Look at what my Cardinals are doing. We only have 5 players left from the 2006 WS winning team and are ready to compete for a title again this year. Now I realize everything is easier when you have Pujols in your line up everyday but that doesn't explain everything. The Cardinals have a $7 million larger team salary this year than the Royals. Thats a doable increase in salary for the Royals.

The Cardinals have been drafting near the bottom of the draft order for over 15 years. We were able to have enough talent in the minor leagues to trade for some very talented but possible rent a players because of that drafting. We have picked up countless pitchers off the MLB scrap heap and got some more juice out of them. We have traded low level scrubs and got production in return(this year, Duncan for Lugo).

It can be done and I think the tru blue Royal fans that I know deseve to cheer for a winner and playoff contender.

OnTheWarpath15
08-12-2009, 07:36 AM
They have plenty of top minor league prospects who hold significant value: Hosmer, Moosetacos, and Hosmer top the list. On the ML club, Soria would have been (and still is) an enormous chip.

To a lesser extent, Butler, DeJesus, Teahen, and Gordon could bring something of value, and the order of my list reflects the level of return.

Teams are looking for someone to put them over the top leading up to the deadline.

That rules the minor league players out, and a team like the Royals shouldn't be looking to pawn off minor leaguers anyway.

So that leaves the 4 guys you listed, who, I'm sorry, but aren't going to crack the lineup on a team making a playoff run.

JMO

DeezNutz
08-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Teams are looking for someone to put them over the top leading up to the deadline.

That rules the minor league players out, and a team like the Royals shouldn't be looking to pawn off minor leaguers anyway.

So that leaves the 4 guys you listed, who, I'm sorry, but aren't going to crack the lineup on a team making a playoff run.

JMO

Teahen would be a great guy off the bench. And Butler would see some ABs here and there...

But DeJesus would start for most teams. He's a solid all-around ML player. Now, you're right that he wouldn't bring a huge return, so he's more valuable to the Royals than anyone else.

It would have been Soria that brought the motherload.

doomy3
08-12-2009, 08:39 AM

JMO

A few guys that were traded to top contenders at this year's trading deadline:

Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Casey Kotchman
Tom Gorzelanny
John Grabow

Just prior to trade deadline:

Julio Lugo
Chris Duncan
Mark DeRosa

You don't see where a guy like Teahen, DeJesus, etc could fit in with these names?

CoMoChief
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM

Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Casey Kotchman
Tom Gorzelanny
John Grabow

Julio Lugo
Chris Duncan
Mark DeRosa

You don't see where a guy like Teahen, DeJesus, etc could fit in with these names?

Uhhh no.......Maybe duncan.

BigRedChief
08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
OMG! Just say no!

Baby Lee
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
FYI: Brett is the Vice President of Baseball Operations. With that in mind, I think that his comments were well within the scope of his position. Why the hate? Did he cut you off in traffic or something?

Check Brett's and Schilling's political affiliations, then check out Pioli's brilliance in DC.

doomy3
08-12-2009, 09:54 AM

You can't honestly believe this bullshit...

gblowfish
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I love George.
Except when he tells that story about pooping his pants at the Bellagio.

That's extreme.

Mecca
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
From what I heard, the Royals had offers for Cruz, Mahay, Teahen and Bannister and they "were asking for to much in return"

KCChiefsMan
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
when will everyone realize that the Royals are nothing but a farm team?

Sure-Oz
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM

That's why chris duncan is in AAA....teahen light years ahead of duncan

KCinNY
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Higher payroll or not...the Royals, talent-wise, are nothing more than a AAA team.

Look at the lineup, a team full of 4th outfielders and utility infielders.

It's a bad team that isn't gonna get better anytime soon.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
George so mad he could take a double-tapered shit!

T-post Tom
08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Check Brett's and Schilling's political affiliations, then check out Pioli's brilliance in DC.

You folks are so far ahead of me. I never would have known or looked into Brett's & Schilling's political affiliations.

OnTheWarpath15
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Teahen would be a great guy off the bench. And Butler would see some ABs here and there...

But DeJesus would start for most teams. He's a solid all-around ML player. Now, you're right that he wouldn't bring a huge return, so he's more valuable to the Royals than anyone else.

It would have been Soria that brought the motherload.

Good call on Soria. I completely forgot about him.

OnTheWarpath15
08-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Casey Kotchman
Tom Gorzelanny
John Grabow

Julio Lugo
Chris Duncan
Mark DeRosa

Not really.

DDJ maybe. But as Deez pointed out, he's worth more to KC than anyone else.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Not really.

is he though? Whats so special about him honestly?

Its time for this organization to think "outside the box" and blow this sh*t up. Im not kidding.

DeezNutz
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Its time for this organization to think "outside the box" and blow this sh*t up. Im not kidding.

Thinking outside the box doesn't mean getting one or two mid-level prospects for someone who can be a productive player on any team in the league. The return would have sucked.

I'm all for blowing this thing up, and I would have started by trading Meche, who wouldn't have been hurt b/c I would have limited his pitch count, and Soria.

OnTheWarpath15
08-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Like I said, maybe.

Personally, there's not a guy on the roster I'd have any interest in other than Soria and Greinke.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Personally, there's not a guy on the roster I'd have any interest in other than Soria and Greinke.

Yea, pretty much the same for me. Butler is finally starting to develop though, but hes probably a future DH.

I think we can all agree, the thing needs to be blown up.

DeezNutz
08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Yea, pretty much the same for me. Butler is finally starting to develop though, but hes probably a future DH.

I think we can all agree, the thing needs to be blown up.

Actually, Butler might be the single most underrated hitter in MLB.

At the plate, he's shown that he'll be a star.

Sure-Oz
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Actually, Butler might be the single most underrated hitter in MLB.

At the plate, he's shown that he'll be a star.

Him and Todd Helton have similiar #'s this year except todds avg is about 15 points higher. ill take it

doomy3
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Not really.

What do you mean "not really?" The Royals players I mentioned have pretty much outperformed most of the guys I listed. Just because they play in KC and those other guys don't doesn't mean they are better.