PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football My first Fantasy gripe!

Lono
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Ok in a league with some buddy's. We all decided to do a keeper league, 2 players, cant be same position. So i havent even logged on until recently and notice that one buddy had traded a player away for another guy's first round pick. I thought hmm, got to looking now he got to keep 2 players and still has that extra round pick. That doesn't seem right to me. If we are only keeping two players how is he trading old guys from his roster last year. Technically if he didnt pick them as his keeper they arent his. So my question is, is this normal in keeper leagues? Can you trade previous guys from the year before for draft picks who aren't one of your two keepers and still get 2 keepers and the extra picks?

If this is normal i'll keep my mouth shut, if not I'll call him the cheating dog he is.

The Bad Guy
08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
It's all about the established rules. If there aren't rules against it, you can do it.

I'm in a 1 player keeper league, and you can't make trades in the off-season. Once you declare your keeper, everyone becomes a free agent to be drafted.

The Franchise
08-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Sounds shady as fuck to me. In my league a player isn't on your team until you choose a keeper. You're not allowed to trade away players that you have deemed as your keeper.

KCChiefsMan
08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
ya, I wouldn't like that at all. I probably wouldn't join a league that had that rule.

Valiant
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Seems shady, especially if any money is involved..

So the guy has 2 keepers and a two 1st rounders now and the other guy has 3 keepers or two?? Personally if I were commish I would have both teams forfeit both of their 1st round picks or one of their keepers each for even trying it..

Or just drop out and say fuck for trying to cheat to get ahead before the season starts..

Hays
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Sounds like if he did that he should only get to keep 1 guy but then again it depends on the rules

Buck
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I would drop out if they allow it.

DJ's left nut
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I have a baseball league that's been around for about 10 years that allows trading draft picks. I like the rule.

Teams that have woeful keeper lists are at a decided disadvantage. Now if I were them I'd never trade my 1st rounder for someone, but giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get a legitimate keeper is often a far better use of that pick.

The rules are the same for everyone. If its an established practice, you have nothing to complain about. If it's not a clear rule, I'd say that it probably shouldn't be allowed as it isn't something that can be done through league software. If it requires 'off-site' maneuvers, it has to be a clear rule beforehand, IMO.

Old Dog
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
If it's not against the rules, and you think it should be, bring it up for next season. It really ALL depends on what the league rules are.

In one keeper league I'm in, all rosters lock at kickoff of the final game of week 17 (no grey area)

In another (it's an auction keeper) rosters are live until the keeper deadline and trades happen all of the time. In fact one guy for some reason dropped Felix Jones ($3 against a $200 cap) two days ago and I picked him up today. I have no intention of keeping him, but I have no intent of letting anyone else for $3 either. I also traded Devin Hester($1) and Tim Hightower ($1) to a Bears fan for Pierre Thomas ($1). The only real stipulations on trades are if any trades occur in the offseason, at least one player from the trade must be kept by each team.

Mecca
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I can see where some people would want to do this.

A couple guys I'm not keeping on my keeper league team are better than guys being kept on other teams so if I could move them for high picks it would be worth it.

Valiant
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I can see where some people would want to do this.

A couple guys I'm not keeping on my keeper league team are better than guys being kept on other teams so if I could move them for high picks it would be worth it.

I could seeing doing it also.. But it also means that the strong teams from last year remain strong and the weaker ones will have a smaller FA class to choose from to get better..

Of course he needs to explain more to what exactly is being done..

Team 1: Gets his normal 2 keepers, 1st rd pick + 1st pick
Team 2: Gets his normal keeper + the other - 1st pick
or
Team 2: Gets his normal 2 keepers + keeper?? - 1st pick

-----------

IMO unless the league STATES that you can do it, it is an illegal move..