PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: This feud between Haley and Bowe must end

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
This feud between Haley and Bowe must end (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1385792.html)
JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

Congrats. Todd Haley put a clown suit on Dwayne Bowe, and Dwayne Bowe put a clown suit on Matt Cassel.

Unfortunately, no one inside Arrowhead Stadium was laughing Saturday night.

We were fighting tears. The preseason debut of the Kansas City Chiefs’ new leadership was painful to behold.

The Houston Texans pushed and shoved the Chiefs all around Arrowhead. Most troubling, Kansas City’s Cassel-led offense couldn’t sustain anything.

Randy Moss’ BFF completed just two of five passes for 15 yards. At least two of his throws were dropped. With Cassel at QB, the Chiefs failed to cross the 50 and recorded just two first downs in five series.

KC’s first-unit offense made me long for the good-old days: when the Herm Edwards-coached Chiefs routinely accumulated four or five first downs in a half.

I felt sorry for Cassel. Lobbing balls to Terrance Copper, Brad Cottam, Sean Ryan and Devard Darling is a lot different from playing catch with Moss and Wes Welker.

Haley’s feud with Bowe cost Cassel the luxury of throwing to Kansas City’s most talented receiver. Haley demoted Bowe to third string for Saturday’s exhibition. Bowe’s lackadaisical practice attitude won’t be tolerated by KC’s get-tough coach.

I’m all for discipline. And I’m all for embarrassing Bowe into carrying himself like a professional.

But you have to discipline Bowe in a way that makes sense for everyone, including KC’s new and unproven $60-million quarterback.

When the Bowe Show took the field late in the second quarter along with backup quarterback Brodie Croyle, Kansas City’s offense was magically energized. Croyle took full advantage of Bowe’s physical gifts.

Bowe caught two passes for 28 yards on his first series, a nine-play, 49-yard drive that led to a 47-yard field goal just before halftime. In the third quarter, Bowe tacked on three more receptions for 42 yards. In two quarters, he caught five passes for 70 yards.

The Chiefs didn’t score in the third, but their offense looked far more effective. Suddenly there were running lanes for Dantrell Savage.

Yes, Bowe and Croyle worked against Houston’s second-team defense. But there was no denying Bowe’s impact. He’s a difference maker. He stretches a defense. He’s a big target. He’s the only legitimate playmaker on Kansas City’s offense.

Without him, Cassel has no chance at success.

The Bowe-Haley feud has to end. We don’t have to declare a winner. Haley can take credit for inspiring Bowe to play hard. Bowe can satisfy himself with the knowledge that the Chiefs’ offense can’t move forward without him.

Haley wants to establish himself as a young Bill Parcells. That’s an admirable goal. Someone better remind Haley that Parcells made his no-nonsense bones in the era before players received multimillion-dollar signing bonuses.

Parcells had far more leverage. Players have plenty of leverage now. Bowe can hold this offense hostage. Cassel’s success is dependent on Bowe.

Bowe may never be a great practice player. He may never duplicate Jerry Rice’s hands.

Until the Chiefs find someone better, Haley is going to have to learn to co-exist with Bowe. Haley came up as a receivers coach. He’s known for clashing with receivers. We’ve seen him battle Terrell Owens and Anquan Boldin.

When Haley was an assistant, there was always a head coach to mediate his dispute with receivers. Now Haley is the mediator. He might be a bit heavy-handed. He might not fully appreciate the ramifications of his Joe “Lean on Me” Clark disciplinary strategy.

Cassel is still in the infancy of building the kind of confidence it takes to excel as a starting quarterback. He’s been a starting quarterback once in his last eight seasons. He had a pretty good season leading one of the NFL’s best teams.

He won’t have the luxury of quarterbacking a great team this season. He’s been elected the captain of the Titanic. Bowe is the lone working engine of the Titanic offense.

It’s not wise to clown around with Bowe.

Hammock Parties
08-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Mine was better.

Randy Moss’ BFF

Low blow. They were running a high school offense for crying out loud.

Titty Meat
08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Whitlock is just creating controversy

LaChapelle
08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Clown suit? Is this the 90s?

Coach
Actually, I gotta call bullshit on Shitlock here. I thought today, Bowe got the message loud and clear.

ArrowheadMagic
Bowe makes it end by earning his spot that his talent deserves. Plain and simple..... its Bowe's spot to earn...... earn it.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Good lord, its the first preseason game. People are acting as if this is week 8 and the Chiefs are tied for the division lead.....Unreal.

Just Passin' By
08-15-2009, 10:49 PM
JFC, so Cassel was on target with at least 4 of 5 throws. How the hell is that getting clowned in the first half of the first exhibition game?

Hammock Parties
Good lord, its the first preseason game. People are acting as if this is week 8 and the Chiefs are tied for the division lead.....Unreal.

Actually I think it's a pretty serious deal. If this goes on it won't be good for the offense.

Bowe starts next week or we're in serious trouble.

chiefs1111
He will be starting next week against the Vikes most likely..

Deberg_1990
08-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually I think it's a pretty serious deal. If this goes on it won't be good for the offense.

Oh brother...

Once week 1 rolls around, then ill worry...

Just Passin' By
08-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Good point. You can't start off 0-2 in the preseason and expect to have any chance of winning games ever again.

Titty Meat
08-15-2009, 10:51 PM
It won't matter who the WR is if the O-line sucks

Hammock Parties
Good point. You can't start off 0-2 in the preseason and expect to have any chance of winning games ever again.

It has nothing to do with winning or losing.

If Cassel is throwing to Terrance Fucking Copper for an entire month and suddenly Bowe goes in, it's gonna be a fucked up situation.

Slainte
Overblown. Better luck next time, JW...

Buehler445
08-15-2009, 10:53 PM
KC’s first-unit offense made me long for the good-old days: when the Herm Edwards-coached Chiefs routinely accumulated four or five first downs in a half.

:Lin:

Whitlock should be fired immediately.

Just Passin' By
08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
It has nothing to do with winning or losing.

If Cassel is throwing to Terrance ****ing Copper for an entire month and suddenly Bowe goes in, it's gonna be a ****ed up situation.

Nobody with a brain gives a shit about who Cassel's throwing to in weeks 1 and 2 of the exhibition season. What matters is that when he's throwing to his starting receivers in week 1 of the regular season, he feels that he can trust them to catch the ball.

By the way, Haley's postgame comments about Bowe:

“I thought Dwayne came out tonight and, really, in the last two days at practice in training camp saw that he’s definitely started to show up. In this game I thought he definitely showed up. That to me was a definite positive, without a doubt. But again, like I said, we’re going to play the guys that we think are doing it the way we want it done. That was the way we went tonight, but again that can change. But Bowe, the last two days of training camp and then tonight, definitely showed something.”

Al Czervik
08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Jason...Pound Sand....

Bowe can sit his fucking ass on the bench until he decides
he wants to play team ball and stop his primadonna BS....

LaChapelle
08-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Cassel was thrown in a tight spot tonight. He's probably better off for it. This ain't the Razor.

J Diddy
08-15-2009, 10:56 PM

I think you go bad blood here and you never recover. Especially with a semi-talented receiver and an unknown qb. Plus whitlock is correct. Bowe is the only engine on the offense right now. Makes me think that maybe gailey is aboard to be the fall guy for a horrendous season haley wants to come to rebuild.

Hammock Parties
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Nobody with a brain gives a shit about who Cassel's throwing to in weeks 1 and 2 of the exhibition season.

You don't get it.

Establishing chemistry now is essential towards hitting the ground running in the regular season.

ArrowheadMagic
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM

Seriously...... if you want to eventually have a job.... write about something non football related.... its not working for you..... i.e moving you out of the basement. Your a talented writer... just happens you have no actual knowledge of football.....it ooozzzzes ... out... like a cock with gonorrhea.

Just Passin' By
08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
You don't get it.

Establishing chemistry now is essential towards hitting the ground running in the regular season.

I get it fine. Establishing that it's Haley's way or the bench is essential towards getting Bowe to pull his head out of his ass in time for the regular season.

wazu
08-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Whitlock is reaching on this one. And Haley can do worse than trying to emulate Parcells. Do you think Belichick would give a damn about Bowe's signing bonus?

ArrowheadMagic
08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Whitlock is reaching on this one. And Haley can do worse than trying to emulate Parcells. Do you think Belichick would give a damn about Bowe's signing bonus?

or his feelings?

tk13
08-15-2009, 11:22 PM
This is one of those things that goes on every preseason that everyone will have forgotten about by week 2.

KcMizzou
08-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Overblown. Better luck next time, JW...That.

2bikemike
08-15-2009, 11:39 PM
I actually think this was an outstanding move by Haley. We've had way to many years of DV and Herm molly coddling these guys. Haley put a boot in Bowes ass and I believe Bowe is responding.

Bowe won't be running second string for long. He and Cassel will get there chemistry down. They spent the offseason together and they spent time early in camp. They also have a lot more camp left.

KChiefs1
08-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I think Haley knows how to handle WR's.

Micjones
08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Seems to me that Bowe responded well to being demoted by Haley.
Me thinks it worked.

UsualSuspects
08-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Me thinks it worked.

If Haley made a point in just 1 week, I am impressed. Props.

I figure it was more of an accident at this point. Consistency is what is needed, IMO.

Phobia
08-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Feud? Seems to me that a feud would be somewhat mutual. It also seems to me that it's clearly a motivational technique that appears to be working. I think JW is way smarter than this.

ArrowheadMagic
08-16-2009, 12:20 AM
works since its a coach and player of different ethnicity.

the Talking Can
08-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Feud? Seems to me that a feud would be somewhat mutual. It also seems to me that it's clearly a motivational technique that appears to be working. I think JW is way smarter than this.

you'd think chiefs fans wouldn't fall for it either...but alas....

seriously, a "feud?"

milkman
08-16-2009, 06:04 AM
you'd think chiefs fans wouldn't fall for it either...but alas....

seriously, a "feud?"

You overestimate Chiefs fans.

ChiefGator
08-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Me thinks it worked.

Exactly. Haley does not have on a clown suit.. he has on a good motivator and smart coach suit. Whitlock can wear his clown suit for the rest of preseason though.

Red Dawg
08-16-2009, 06:13 AM

I agree. He better be with the number one team next game or there's a real problem going on.. He earned his place with them the last two years.

Old Dog
08-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Yawn.........yet another Whitlock column that is only useful if you print it for use as toilet paper.
On the other hand, he has a handful of folks riled up over absolutely nothing. Haley is sending a message and it appears that Bowe is receiving it.

MahiMike
08-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Whatever. That's why Haley's the coach and not Whitlock.

BTW, did Toomer and Engram play?

Psyko Tek
08-16-2009, 06:30 AM
you know what?

I fucking hate wide rs=ecievers
give corners the stickem
back
let them hit them on their routes
wide rieviers don't play football
they play ballet
and think they are football players

let the defense fuck them up
I am sooo fucking tired of hearing about them

JuicesFlowing
08-16-2009, 06:38 AM
It’s not wise to clown around with Bowe.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7073/65267957.jpg

Norman Einstein
08-16-2009, 07:01 AM
New players, new coaches, new administration does not necessarily mean new outcome in the WL column.

Whitlock was still on the soapbox for Herman after the 2-14 season, seems like his view is still fubar'd from the position of his head.

KCUnited
08-16-2009, 07:42 AM
If Bowe doesn't see the field we're fucked like a brisket sammich on Whitlock's plate.

He went from mouth hugger to shit stirrer in 4 series, color me surprised.

Boon
08-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Whitlock=Controversy
Whitlock's writings=Shit

penchief
08-16-2009, 08:01 AM
You don't get it.

Enabling slackers does not serve any long term goal that this team has. Nor is chemistry served when there is a different standard for one player than there is for the rest of the team.

IMO, the argument that Haley is letting down the rest of the team by not rewarding Bowe for his slack attitude is backwards thinking. The opposite is true. Bowe is letting down his teammates by not committing himself fully. Haley is only demanding from Bowe what he is required to give. Bowe has cost this team games in the past because of dropped passes and Haley is fully aware of that.

Whitlock is reaching and his article is a stupid attempt to stir shit, IMO.

chiefzilla1501
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Whitlock is just creating controversy

I agree with the premise. The #1 priority is to get Cassel comfortable and ready. Discipline Bowe, but don't do it at the expense of the QB.

Cassel just lost one game to gain a repoire with Bowe and to make himself feel more comfortable in this offense. Was it worth it? I don't think so.

milkman
08-16-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree with the premise. The #1 priority is to get Cassel comfortable and ready. Discipline Bowe, but don't do it at the expense of the QB.

Cassel just lost one game to gain a repoire with Bowe and to make himself feel more comfortable in this offense. Was it worth it? I don't think so.

Yes it was worth it.

This is about long term rewards, not short term gratification.

Cassel and Bowe have been working together all offseason, and will be working together throughout this season, and in the seasons to come.

The firsr building block in creating rapport between a QB and WR is the QB's confidence in the WR's pass catching.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Wow, thats laughable.....sorry.

Cassel played 3 series. He didnt lose anything.

I think alot of you guys read too much into preseason games. Honestly.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Oh oh. Bowe (or ANY black man) + Clown suit = RACISM! (Just ask some of the folks in DC).

RINGLEADER
08-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Yep.

Mr. Krab
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Just goes to show how incredible fucking stupid the media is around town. It's more important for Haley to set a tone than it is for Bowe to start and help win a stinking preseason game. You want Bowe to turn into a prima donna douche?

boogblaster
08-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Bowe is our best WR weapon, period ... He has to be used if our passing game is going to be anything at all ....

Coogs
08-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Has Whitlock had a good word to say about Haley since Waters got shut down in his quest to ask Pioli and Haley what the plan was back in March?