PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sending a message?

Wallcrawler
08-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok, its pre-season so its not really that big of a deal that Bowe didnt get to start with Cassel and the rest of the starters. Cassel's stats looked like crap because he had to throw to a couple of scrubs I could probably compete with, but that was the extent of the damage done by Haley's "message" to Bowe.

My question is, will Todd Haley pull this kind of crap in the regular season? The games count then, and I cant see hurting your chances of winning the game by not starting a player for a quarter, or a half because he didnt have a good week of practice. Make him do extra drills, take away some sort of amenities, but dont screw the rest of the team over by keeping your best player at the position out of the game.

I remember in the 1994 AFC championship, Marty pulled the same type of BS with Derrick Thomas, not playing him for half, or most of the first quarter because he was either late to a meeting or missed a team meeting during the week. So you take your best pass rusher on defense and you bench him in the biggest game of the year to that point. It doesnt make sense.

Pull the guy aside and say look, this isnt cutting it. Youre playing because youre the best we have and we need this game, but you get extra drills all week, or youre running laps after every practice, whatever. Dont F the entire team because youre butthurt over a couple drops in practice.

I remember Gun pulling some sort of crap like this with Jared Allen also, saying he was weak against the run so he wasnt starting. Its a joke. Best player you have at the spot and youre gonna bench him for some scrubby backup for what, so you can prove a point? Ridiculous.

It was my understanding that the organization was trying to purge the idiocy from the front office and coaching staff. Apparently some of its foul presence has remained and gotten into the crawlspace between Haley's ears.

Like I said, its pre-season so not a huge deal, but if he starts doing this kind of stuff in the regular season, there are going to be some really pissed off people. I watch the games to see the best the Chiefs have on the field, not sitting the bench because the coach has his panties in a wad while some streetball reject is out there posing as a starter who couldnt catch a cold, or who couldnt tackle the ball carrier if they were in a phone booth.

Should make for an interesting post game conference should a loss occur after one of these "messages" should they occur during the season.

Hammock Parties
08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I remember in the 1994 AFC championship, Marty pulled the same type of BS with Derrick Thomas, not playing him for half, or most of the first quarter because he was either late to a meeting or missed a team meeting during the week. So you take your best pass rusher on defense and you bench him in the biggest game of the year to that point. It doesnt make sense.

I was actually gonna mention that in my column. It wasn't the AFC Championship though. It was that Monday nighter against Denver.

Of course you can do that and get away with it when you're stacked like the 94 Chiefs.

Slainte
08-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Nothing.

Valiant
08-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Disagree with you totally.. It is a great form of motivation for star athletes that do not give it their all..

ArrowheadMagic
08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
as if 2 threads for this same subject werent enough.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Disagree with you totally.. It is a great form of motivation for star athletes that do not give it their all..

Plus, that they'll lose incentive revenue from their contract if they don't put up a certain amount of production

Micjones
08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
I doubt this will carry over into the regular season.

RustShack
08-15-2009, 11:35 PM
He will probably be starting next week after tonights game..

Valiant
08-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I doubt this will carry over into the regular season.

I don't think it will either unless he goes a few games fucking up or dropping balls.. Haley is doing this until Bowe can learn to motivate himself on his own on becoming a star WR..

Bowser
08-16-2009, 12:27 AM
I was actually gonna mention that in my column. It wasn't the AFC Championship though. It was that Monday nighter against Denver.

Of course you can do that and get away with it when you're stacked like the 94 Chiefs.

Actually, it WAS the AFC Championship game against Buffalo in 94. Pellom McDaniels got the start over Derrick, because Marty didn't think Derrick could hold up against Buffalo's zone blocking scheme with the running game. I remember seeing shots of Derrick on the sideline; he was pissed.

Touchdown Bowe
I don't think it will either unless he goes a few games ****ing up or dropping balls.. Haley is doing this until Bowe can learn to motivate himself on his own on becoming a star WR..

so it makes sense to keep cant catch Copper starting and Bowe, who caught everything thrown his way, on the bench? no..not really..Bowe will likely be starting next week after tonight and will keep the spot unless he starts dropping passes again

Bowser

But the thing against Denver happened too.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Actually, it WAS the AFC Championship game against Buffalo in 94. Pellom McDaniels got the start over Derrick, because Marty didn't think Derrick could hold up against Buffalo's zone blocking scheme with the running game. I remember seeing shots of Derrick on the sideline; he was pissed.

Right, but that was for strategy reasons. Not disciplinary/motivational.

Valiant
08-16-2009, 12:36 AM
so it makes sense to keep cant catch Copper starting and Bowe, who caught everything thrown his way, on the bench? no..not really..Bowe will likely be starting next week after tonight and will keep the spot unless he starts dropping passes again

Obviously the motivation worked so far.. And I did not say would never start again, but I can see it happening again if Bowe loses focus and starts dropping easy balls..

UsualSuspects
08-16-2009, 12:39 AM
So in a losing season we need to worry about 1 game versus the future rewards?

Seems the same strategy if so to me.

milkman
08-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm going to post this before reading the rest of the responses, which I rarely do.

But JFC, this place is crawling with fucking morons.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Not starting him is the only way for him to actually get the message. It was important for the team to know that ANYONE who half asses it or is not doing things correctly is going to pay. Pulling the guy aside and saying you've been a bad boy is not going to cut it.

Pioli Zombie
08-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Does anyone have the concept down that this is preseason and the coach is not thinking about YOUR entertainment but the long range good of the team? Last night was exactly the right time to do this. It gave Bowe the message and it didn't hurt anything. Plus you get to see how the scrubs do with Cassel. He already know Cassel and Bowe will be fine together. Lighten up people. Its like a glorified scrimmage. Too bad fans have to cough up big money to watch preseason games though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
he sent this message via txt to dorsey

the Talking Can
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Ok, its pre-season so its not really that big of a deal that Bowe didnt get to start with Cassel and the rest of the starters. Cassel's stats looked like crap because he had to throw to a couple of scrubs I could probably compete with, but that was the extent of the damage done by Haley's "message" to Bowe.

My question is, will Todd Haley pull this kind of crap in the regular season? The games count then, and I cant see hurting your chances of winning the game by not starting a player for a quarter, or a half because he didnt have a good week of practice. Make him do extra drills, take away some sort of amenities, but dont screw the rest of the team over by keeping your best player at the position out of the game.

Pull the guy aside and say look, this isnt cutting it. Youre playing because youre the best we have and we need this game, but you get extra drills all week, or youre running laps after every practice, whatever. Dont F the entire team because youre butthurt over a couple drops in practice.

I remember Gun pulling some sort of crap like this with Jared Allen also, saying he was weak against the run so he wasnt starting. Its a joke. Best player you have at the spot and youre gonna bench him for some scrubby backup for what, so you can prove a point? Ridiculous.

It was my understanding that the organization was trying to purge the idiocy from the front office and coaching staff. Apparently some of its foul presence has remained and gotten into the crawlspace between Haley's ears.

Like I said, its pre-season so not a huge deal, but if he starts doing this kind of stuff in the regular season, there are going to be some really pissed off people. I watch the games to see the best the Chiefs have on the field, not sitting the bench because the coach has his panties in a wad while some streetball reject is out there posing as a starter who couldnt catch a cold, or who couldnt tackle the ball carrier if they were in a phone booth.

Should make for an interesting post game conference should a loss occur after one of these "messages" should they occur during the season.

haley couldn't give 3 shits about what you or anyone thinks, fortunately.....

beach tribe
08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Anybody who doesn't think Bowe will start every regular season game he is healthy for is a moron. This is a coaching ploy. AND if he doesn't so happen to "start" he will be in the 2nd play. Haley knows who our best WR is. He's trying to make him great. He has the talent. I'm really interested in seeing what happens.

Pioli Zombie
08-16-2009, 08:34 AM
I loved in the interview how Haley said he has to be patient because he was spoiled by the receivers he had in Arizona. That was dead on Bill Parcells tactic to totally tweek Bowe. Deflate that fat head a little. Perfect.
Bowe will probably be an All-Pro this year out of spite.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
08-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Parcelles was hard on terry glenn and now terry glenn is a coaching intern for the dolphins