PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Croyle does well in first game back after season-ending injury in 2008

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Chiefs’ Croyle does well in first game back after season-ending injury in 2008 (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1385955.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle shook off nearly 10 months of rust on Saturday night.

He demonstrated he could take a hit. He showed he could still move around the pocket as well as move the pile on the quarterback sneak. And he calmly directed the 2-minute drive.

All were significant steps in the comeback of Croyle, who played four series and completed 12 of 18 passes for 145 yards in the Chiefs’ 16-10 loss to Houston in the preseason opener at Arrowhead Stadium.

“It felt good to get back out there,” said Croyle. “You had butterflies you normally don’t have … but once I got out there and once I got going, I got settled back in, got the feel of the pocket again, and at that point, it becomes football.”

A year ago, Croyle opened the season as the Chiefs’ starter and cornerstone to then-coach Herm Edwards’ youth movement. But injuries knocked him out of both of his starts — a right shoulder injury when sacked in the season opener at New England and a season-ending knee injury when hit while passing on Oct. 19 against Tennessee.

After an offseason of rehabbing his knee and his pride, Croyle is battling Tyler Thigpen — an 11-game starter in 2008 — for the second-team quarterback during training camp.

“I feel great; I felt good all camp,” Croyle said. “It was fun to actually get to play football. After all the rehab, all the working out, all the stuff you do to get back out there, it makes it all worthwhile when you get out there playing.”

Croyle, in his first series after replacing starter Matt Cassel, was a sitting target when Houston rookie defensive end Connor Barwin blew past Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert. Barwin, the Texans’ second-round draft pick, buried Croyle into the fresh, new Arrowhead Stadium turf, but the quarterback bounced right up, his surgically repaired left knee able to withstand the hit.

“I did not think about the knee,” Croyle said. “For anybody who has had surgeries, the biggest mental step is getting over it. Anytime you’re coming back from an injury, you want to get that first hit out of the way.”

Then, in Croyle’s second series, with the Chiefs trailing 13-0 and 1 minute, 7 seconds left in the half, he drove the offense 49 yards in nine plays, culminating with Ryan Succop’s 47-yard field goal as time expired.

Croyle completed four of seven passes for 48 yards on the drive, including passes of 14 yards to Mark Bradley; 14 to Dwayne Bowe and one down the middle for 12 yards to Rodney Wright, who called timeout with 1 second to play.

Showing his old mobility, Croyle rolled left to avoid pressure before he hit Bowe, who made a diving catch.

Croyle, playing in a driving rain, opened the second half by completing five of seven passes for 57 yards before the drive bogged down at the Houston 24 with a fourth-down pass that was nearly intercepted by Texans defensive tackle Frank Okam.

Croyle kept the drive alive by converting a fourth and 1 with a quarterback sneak. He also set up a nice screen pass to running back Dantrell Savage for 11 yards and a deep seam pattern to Mark Bradley for 22 yards.

“There were a lot of shot-put throws,” Croyle said of throwing in the rain. “A lot of balls you normally hang onto a little bit longer, waiting for things to happen and laying it out there and letting them run to it, but there wasn’t a whole lot of zip on them.”

But there was enough zip to please head coach Todd Haley.

“It was great for Brodie,” Haley said. “He got a lot of playing time in some difficult situations and made a couple of really nice throws in poor weather conditions to say the least. That’s nothing but positive for Brodie to get his feet wet, gain confidence in his knee and get back to playing football.”

Croyle, the Chiefs’ third-round draft pick in 2006, made one critical mistake when called for intentional grounding after he tried throwing the ball away, but it did not reach the line of scrimmage.

“I went to throw it, and the receiver got hit,” Croyle said. “It wasn’t going to be close to him, but it was going to be close enough. I couldn’t throw it past the line of scrimmage with offensive linemen being downfield. I should have thrown it closer to a running back or out of bounds.”

Silock
08-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Croyle looked better than Cassel. Maybe that was the competition and the fact he had Bowe, but them's the facts as I see them.

I'm not saying Croyle is the long-term answer or even better than Cassel, but he certainly looked good enough to be the starter on THIS team.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I hope we can get him traded to a needy team. Like MN. Maybe WASH.

beach tribe
08-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I hope we keep him around as Cassel's backup. I would be totally cool with Croyle coming in if Cassel happens to go down.

EyePod
08-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I hope we keep him around as Cassel's backup. I would be totally cool with Croyle coming in if Cassel happens to go down.

I think Croyle has always been the best QB on our roster, that is, until he hits the IR..... That is his only major negative. He definitely has what it takes if you ignore his injuries...

Brock
08-16-2009, 09:30 AM
What do you do 15 minutes later when Croyle is on the ground writhing in pain?

RINGLEADER
08-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Exactly.

JuicesFlowing
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I keep hearing about Croyle's great arm, but still haven't seen the deep ball much.

boogblaster
08-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Croyle will make a decent BU for Cassell ...

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I keep hearing about Croyle's great arm, but still haven't seen the deep ball much.

He had a couple.

Where you see his fucking cannon is on the intermediate throws that are fucking lasers.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
If Croyle was 20 lbs heavier and stayed healthy, he would be a pretty good QB.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Hearing??? Have you ever watched the guy throw??? He has a cannon.

KCBOSS1
08-16-2009, 02:01 PM

That's a good point. Why don't they put this guy on some kind of protein deal. That might help his injury prone stuff. he still looks llike our best quarterback.

DeezNutz
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM

If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their asses when they hop.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Croyle can throw it a bit but he's fragile and inexperienced. Further, he hasn't won when he's played.

Anyone who gets too excited should just look at that retarded grounding call he had against him. It was a drive killing mistake that showed he's not always thinking.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Croyle can throw it a bit but he's fragile and inexperienced. Further, he hasn't won when he's played.

Anyone who gets too excited should just look at that retarded grounding call he had against him. It was a drive killing mistake that showed he's not always thinking.

Dude. He hasn't made it through many games to even have an opportunity to win.

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Brodie Croyle is a backup, that's what he is.

Maybe some years of sitting where he doesn't get injured and can better condition his body would make it where he could start for someone a few years down the line.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Dude. He hasn't made it through many games to even have an opportunity to win.

I like him as a backup. He can gain weight and experience doing that.

KCChiefsMan
08-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Croyle should seek advice from Jemarcus McRussell

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Croyle is probably one of those guys that just can't gain weight.

Some people look at food and gain 10lbs others eat all the time and gain nothing.

Croyle and Russell are likely the complete opposites in that regard. If they ate and did the exact same things Russell would probably gain 20lbs and Croyle would be the same.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Some people look at food and gain 10lbs others eat all the time and gain nothing.

Croyle and Russell are likely the complete opposites in that regard. If they ate and did the exact same things Russell would probably gain 20lbs and Croyle would be the same.

Croyle needs to find a personal trainer and pack on at least 10 15 pounds of muscle, it's not hard if one is truly motivated with the correct routine and nutrition.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2009, 03:02 PM
As long as Croyle is playing well in the backup position, there is no reason to move him or try to move him. It's likely that whoever's the backup QB this season, they're going to see some playing time.

The Chiefs organization has too much time invested in Croyle than to just let him go elsewhere and possibly become a quality NFL QB.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Croyle needs to find a personal trainer and pack on at least 10 15 pounds of muscle, it's not hard if one is truly motivated with the correct routine and nutrition.

ROFL

Is this the third year in a row people are talking about this?

Seriously?

Hey guys, Green needs to get in the weight room and improve his weak arm!

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Maybe some years of sitting where he doesn't get injured and can better condition his body would make it where he could start for someone a few years down the line.

I'm honestly hoping he rips it up this preseason and we can get him traded to a team needing a good strong arm.

Probably not going to happen, but I badly want it to.

I just don't see a guy without durability fitting in here. Sucks because there's ANOTHER draft pick and a decent kid that won't work out.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 03:07 PM
As long as Croyle is playing well in the backup position, there is no reason to move him or try to move him. It's likely that whoever's the backup QB this season, they're going to see some playing time.

The Chiefs organization has too much time invested in Croyle than to just let him go elsewhere and possibly become a quality NFL QB.

Fock. I need to read the thread before I start responding :doh!:

I'm torn on this. I think if he can be productive he can be an asset. But he also isn't reliable. Like last year, you don't want to smoke through your top 2 QBs in a couple weeks. Luckily for us, we were able to form SOMETHING around Thigpen and not endure Atlanta type games again.

I think my bottom line is if Gutierrez can become serviceable, or Thiggy can learn to play in a real offense, then Croyle needs to go.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
ROFL

Is this the third year in a row people are talking about this?

Seriously?

Hey guys, Green needs to get in the weight room and improve his weak arm!

Seriously, I went from 165 pounds when I was 21 to now at 200 pounds at 28 years old through lifting weights religiously coupled with proper nutrition.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I think my bottom line is if Gutierrez can become serviceable, or Thiggy can learn to play in a real offense, then Croyle needs to go.

Yeah let's wait on Thigpen and cut the guy who can actually throw an accurate pass...wonderful idea!

TRR
08-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Croyle looked better than Cassel. Maybe that was the competition and the fact he had Bowe, but them's the facts as I see them.

I'm not saying Croyle is the long-term answer or even better than Cassel, but he certainly looked good enough to be the starter on THIS team.

Croyle can't stay healthy...period. His time is up as the Chiefs starter.

How can you even compare Croyle to Cassel last night? Cassel was playing against a first string D with Copper and Darling. Croyle was playing against 2nd and 3rd string D's with KC's eventual first string WR's...

What did you want from Cassel in his 5 whole attempts last night?

what a joke.
Posted via Mobile Device

OctoberFart
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM

You beat me to it. KC would be better to let GOQUEER fluff him up and move him for a pick.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah let's wait on Thigpen and cut the guy who can actually throw an accurate pass...wonderful idea!

OOOO even better let's stay with your dumbass idea. Keep the guy that can't stay fucking healthy and put off seeing thigpen for a half.

Hey dumbfuck, you should learn to read. I said IF.

At this point, if Croyle plays well, we should try to move him. I'd rather keep a less productive but more reliable (assumedly) guy like Gutierrez as on the roster than a guy like Croyle that will just get hurt again.

Braincase
08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
You beat me to it. KC would be better to let GOQUEER fluff him up and move him for a pick.

Speaking of fluff, how's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man doing under center there in Oaktown?

Fairplay
08-16-2009, 03:39 PM
He would be a decent back up.

Cassel is the starter for this team. The tall dollars he is getting paid should put an exclamation point to that.

Keep eating food Croyle, you're to skinny for the NFL.

KCBOSS1
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
What was the deal last night with Cassel? Little crappy dink and dunk passes and only one of them good, the first one. It was the most absent effort of all the debuts in the NFL so far. Come on, come out and make a statement! We've been waiting long enough for it. Brodie came out and made a statement right off.

KCBOSS1
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd rather see a risk taker.. a down the field interception than 2 back to back 3 and outs.

crispystl
08-16-2009, 04:09 PM
He had a couple.

Where you see his ****ing cannon is on the intermediate throws that are ****ing lasers.

Agreed, frozen friggin ropes.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
What was the deal last night with Cassel? Little crappy dink and dunk passes and only one of them good, the first one. It was the most absent effort of all the debuts in the NFL so far. Come on, come out and make a statement! We've been waiting long enough for it. Brodie came out and made a statement right off.

He was just running the plays called.

The RRPP was sure weird to see again. :shake:

KCBOSS1
08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
sorry, not good with quick type lingo, "RRPP"? be patient with an old guy.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 05:00 PM
sorry, not good with quick type lingo, "RRPP"? be patient with an old guy.

Run, Run, Pass, Punt

R2P2

RRPP

or as I affectionately refer to it as, "FUCK HERM"

the Talking Can
08-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Seriously, I went from 165 pounds when I was 21 to now at 200 pounds at 28 years old through lifting weights religiously coupled with proper nutrition.

so in 7 years croyle will be ready to go?

awesome!

j/k

croyle is a fine backup for us...

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Maybe some years of sitting where he doesn't get injured and can better condition his body would make it where he could start for someone a few years down the line.This. It doesn't matter how well he played last night, he cannot stay healthy. I don't mind him as back-up, but he really needs some heavy conditioning if he wants a career in the league.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
so in 7 years croyle will be ready to go?

awesome!

j/k

croyle is a fine backup for us...

I gained 15 pounds in my 1st 1 year in a half, the other 20 I had to work my balls to get

Hammock Parties
08-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Work your balls?

Hell, I should be looking like Arnold by now if that's all it takes.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Work your balls?

Hell, I should be looking like Arnold by now if that's all it takes.

I go by Arnold's program infact minus the roids, plus you can't be pussy about it and cut corners.

Silock
08-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Gaining weight is simply a matter of eating more. If you eat more, you gain weight. And yes, you can cleanly bulk up, especially if you're on the stuff that football players are on. I think it's more a matter of motivation or something.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I think this was posted before....but it's probably not a good idea for Croyle to put even MORE weight on those knees. Anyway, he's barely worth this level of discussion, he's the backup.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Gaining weight is simply a matter of eating more. .No, its not. I know plenty of people who eat all the time and they are thin people.

DeezNutz
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Some people don't have the physical makeup to play football. Period.

Unfortunately for him, Croyle is one of these people.

If he sees the field in the regular season, he will get hurt again. This isn't even a question. And then people will try to make excuses for him and blame the line, just like some have done in this thread.

It's all bullshit. Croyle is not an NFL player, and I would love for his name to be filtered on this forum.

Silock
08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
No, its not. I know plenty of people who eat all the time and they are thin people.

Yes, it is. You have to eat more calories than you burn. It's fairly simple. Just because someone eats all the time doesn't mean they're going to gain weight if they're just burning it all off. They have to eat even more. It's not impossible to eat 12,000 calories per day... just ask Michael Phelps.

T-post Tom
08-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Not really a whole lot of options on that play as he was about to get killed & the O-linemen were downfield.

“I went to throw it, and the receiver got hit,” Croyle said. “It wasn’t going to be close to him, but it was going to be close enough. I couldn’t throw it past the line of scrimmage with offensive linemen being downfield. I should have thrown it closer to a running back or out of bounds.”