PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Bowe comes off bench and makes catches

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Bowe comes off bench and makes catches (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1385950.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Dwayne Bowe’s spot in coach Todd Haley’s doghouse was firmly established Saturday night when the Chiefs came out with five wide receivers in the first quarter, and Bowe was on the sidelines wearing a white baseball cap.

Bowe, who caught 86 passes last season, entered the preseason opener against Houston as a third-teamer, largely because his practice habits have irritated Haley.

So Bowe watched as Terrance Copper (no catches in 2008), Devard Darling (17 receptions), Rodney Wright (no catches) and Mark Bradley (30 catches) played in front of him.

Bowe, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick in 2007, didn’t make his first appearance until the second quarter of Saturday night’s 16-10 loss to Houston. Taking advantage of matchups against Houston backup corners who have little chance at making the Texans’ roster, Bowe caught nearly everything thrown his way.

He was the intended receiver on six passes from Brodie Croyle during the second and third quarters and caught five for 70 yards, a 14.0-yard average. And he didn’t do any demonstrating or celebrating following the catches, which no doubt pleased Haley.

“Really, the last two days of practice he’s definitely started to show up,” Haley said of Bowe, who slipped out of the locker room before reporters arrived.

“In this game, he definitely showed up. That, to me, was a definite positive. We’re going to play the guys we think are doing it the way we want it done, and that was the way we went tonight.

“That could change. Bowe definitely showed something to me.”

Bowe caught two passes of 14 yards in the second quarter, including one in the 2-minute drill as the Chiefs closed the first half with a 47-yard field goal by Ryan Succop.

And in the second half, Bowe caught three more passes for 42 yards. He caught passes of 8 and 16 yards on the left side of the formation, and then he ran a deep sideline pass on the right side for 18 yards.

“Me and Bowe have always had a pretty good connection every time we’ve played together,” Croyle said, “and it was good for me mentally to have him out there.

“I think it was good for him to make some plays and get his confidence going and maybe get him rolling back to where he’s used to being. He was sharp on his routes. I signaled a couple of things to him that he picked up and really had a good game.”

POND_OF_RED
08-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I think Haley went a little too far trying to prove a point. I could see benching him for a series but to not play him at all with Cassel was stupid IMO. You have a brand new QB and a brand new offense. The QB needs to be in a rythym with all of his receivers, especially the most talented one. To not have them playing together at all times trying to build as much chemistry before the season starts is a bad move.

UsualSuspects
08-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Its a crime I say for 30 minutes. Seems Fitz thanked him for 2 years of foot on throat?