PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Seems DBowe Was Paying Attention

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Seems DBowe Was Paying Attention (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/seems-dbowe-was-paying-attention.html)
August 15, 2009 - Bob Gretz |
From Arrowhead Stadium

Maybe the most encouraging news to come out of the Chiefs loss in the pre-season opener Saturday night was the play of Dwayne Bowe.

Fighting his way out of Todd Haley’s doghouse, Bowe was the top individual performer in the Houston Texans 16-10 victory. He caught five passes for 70 yards when he finally got in the game midway through the second quarter with the No. 2 offense led by QB Brodie Croyle.

“I think it was good for him to get out there and make some plays and kind of get his confidence going and get him rolling,” said Croyle. “He was sharp. He was sharp on his routes. I signaled a couple of things to him that he picked up. He really had a good game.”

After the game, Bowe continued his practice of keeping his mouth shut. If that’s what it takes, Bowe should keep doing it.

“I thought Dwayne came out tonight and really in the last two days at practice in training camp saw that he’s definitely started to show up,” said Haley. “In this game I thought he definitely showed up. That to me was a definite positive without a doubt.

“Like I said, we are going to play the guys that we think are doing it the way we want it done. That was the way we went tonight, but again that can change. But Bowe … definitely showed something.”

Certainly nobody else among the receiving corps got much done. Rookie Quinten Lawrence caught three passes for a mere 14 yards. Mark Bradley and Rodney Wright both had 22-yard catches. Starting receivers Terrance Copper and Devard Darling had two catches for 15 yards. Veteran Bobby Engram played, but was never a target. Veteran Amani Toomer did not play.

There’s a lot of work to be done this week in River Falls.