PDA

View Full Version : Life Interisting weekend

JOhn
08-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Had a pretty interesting weekend, and got to meet some people. Started the day Friday by picking up some guests at the airport who were in town for the dedication of the Heart Mountain Relocation Center museum. This is one of the camps were the Japanese-Americans were interned during World War 2. Got to meet many of the internees, some of whom had served in the 442nd (I think) army battalion in WW2. Which was the most decorated unit in that war, they served in Italy.

Then Saturday morning they dedicated the new World War 2 veterans memorial here in Cody. Again I was ale to meet and talk to some very interesting people and hear their stories of WW2. Also at the dedications were retired senator Al Simpson, the Governor of WY (forgot his name) and the former secretary of the interior under Bush. All very nice people, and very personable.

Then to top it off, we had approximately 10 pilots check in here, all flying private Jets. Apparently the owner of Makers Mark Whiskey company daughter or granddaughter was in town to get married. There were a couple of minor celebrities staying here for that also.

All in all a very different weekend. Oh and fwiw got the numbers & such for many of the veterans and Mr. Simpson. I have talked to Simpson on several occasions before, and was very impressed that he remembered me by name & my kids also.

Gonzo
08-16-2009, 07:53 PM
I think, (dont quote me on it) that not only did the 442nd serve in Italy but also in France and Africa. Very cool that you were able to meet some veterans though. I wish I could have that honor more often. The VFW In which my dad is commander has a few. One of which was a troop boat driver at Normandy.
Posted via Mobile Device

JOhn
08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
I think, (dont quote me on it) that not only did the 442nd serve in Italy but also in France and Africa. Very cool that you were able to meet some veterans though. I wish I could have that honor more often. The VFW In which my dad is commander has a few. One of which was a troop boat driver at Normandy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm pretty sure your right about France, but I don't think the Japenese-American's units were formed until 43. Which if is correct would have been to late to serve in Africa.

Anyway they were all amazing people, 2 of whom had the multiple Silver Stars and almost all had Purple Hearts. All were very modest and said the real hero's never came home.

Gonzo
08-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure your right about France, but I don't think the Japenese-American's units were formed until 43. Which if is correct would have been to late to serve in Africa.

Anyway they were all amazing people, 2 of whom had the multiple Silver Stars and almost all had Purple Hearts. All were very modest and said the real hero's never came home.

You are correct about Africa. That theater was won a year prior.
Posted via Mobile Device

PastorMikH
08-16-2009, 08:25 PM
...and was very impressed that he remembered me by name...

Some people are hard to forget because of the charismatic impression they leave on us. Others are hard to forget kinda like the kid at McDonalds that spills his coke on you. It isn't as important WHY he remembers you, just that he remembers, right?:)

So, did he get the JO-hn right when he pronounced your name?

Coogs
08-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Mr. Simpson remembers you and your kids by name, but you don't remember the name of the Governor of your state. Nice! Sounds like something I might do. Alzheimers... what are you going to do? :shrug:

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds good dude. Keep up the good work.

chubychecker
08-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I did my wife doggystyle outside of a strip joint we were at........ Pretty cool.

Ugly Duck
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
My wife's three uncles all served in the 442nd & they all came back. Many of their friends didn't. In the Rescue of the Lost Battalion they lost more than 800 troops to rescue 211 members of the Texan 1st Battalion of the 141st Regiment. Texans really, really appreciate the bravery of those guys. My wife's father refused to join because he was pissed off that his family was sent to prison.