PDA

View Full Version : Football Packers show flair in first game using new 3-4 defensive scheme

T-post Tom
08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers coach Mike McCarthy is already pleased with his decision to switch to a 3-4 defense, after only one preseason game.

New defensive coordinator Dom Capers showed off the new scheme against the Cleveland Browns in the opener and it already paid dividends with a shutout victory.

The Packers enjoyed Sunday off after forcing four interceptions, racking up three sacks and holding the Browns to 191 yards in a 17-0 victory on Saturday night.

Two weeks after last season's disappointing 6-10 finish, the Packers fired five defensive coaches, including former coordinator Bob Sanders, and their strength coach. They brought in Capers and a new staff.

"The decision was made in January. I made it with a clean, conscious mind," McCarthy said. "I like what I've seen so far. I've said it before, time and time again as I stood up here: I like the way Dom Capers has come in here. He's pulled the defensive staff together. The players have responded."

Right from the start, Browns quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson couldn't do much against a blitzing linebacking corps that includes A.J. Hawk, Brady Poppinga, Brandon Chillar and Aaron Kampman.

"We threw a decent amount of stuff at them," Hawk said. "We blitzed a little bit and got pressure and sacks on the quarterbacks. We have a lot of different things we can do in this defense."

And they have a lot more big names who will play in it soon.

Starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris had the night off, and first-round pick, defensive tackle B.J. Raji, signed on Friday and wasn't ready to participate.

Former first-round pick Nick Barnett (knee) also is close to returning to practice, and reserve Desmond Bishop looked sharp, rushing Anderson into a throw that was picked off by Tramon Williams.

Bishop also had a sack and an interception later in the game.

"Desmond is another one of our young players that's ready to take off," McCarthy said.

The defensive effort satisfied Capers, who said he liked how disruptive the unit was and believed there were opportunities to make even more plays.

Several Browns said afterward that they watched film of Capers' 3-4 scheme in Miami to try to guess what he might do with different personnel.

It didn't help much.

"We could try and decipher a little bit about what we thought we were going to see, but you never know in that first preseason if they're going to be vanilla or they're going to be bringing the house," Browns left tackle Joe Thomas said. "They definitely wanted to show as much of their blitzing package as they could."

That got Lambeau Field rocking. After Quinn had an effective opening drive that ended with a missed field goal, Anderson went three-and-out. Anderson and Quinn then threw interceptions to end the half. The Browns were only on the field for 9 minutes, 29 seconds in the first 30 minutes.

"We can really build off that," Chillar said of the dominating performance. "It's a fun defense to play. It allows the players to make plays. The main thing is if we just stay sound in what we're supposed to do and let the defense play, then we're going to hit the quarterback and have some turnovers."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

teedubya
08-17-2009, 12:29 AM
I think at this point, I would rather of had Dom Capers as the DC of the Chiefs instead of Pendergast... dude knows how to coach a defense. Not so sure about this Pendergast guy... his AZ D's were suspect, to me.

T-post Tom
08-17-2009, 12:43 AM
I think at this point, I would rather of had Dom Capers as the DC of the Chiefs instead of Pendergast... dude knows how to coach a defense. Not so sure about this Pendergast guy... his AZ D's were suspect, to me.

Capers has the better resume to be sure. But I'm reserving judgement on Pendergast for a while. It's his first year here and he's working under dismal circumstancess considering the conversion form a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. The team is young and they're switching guys out of their normal positions all over the field. Definately a work in progress.

Valiant
08-17-2009, 01:37 AM
And what is the talent gap between our players and theirs on D???

Also, it is preseason.. Doesn't mean shit unless it translates to regular season..

2bikemike
08-17-2009, 01:49 AM

I wish they would have dumped Krummie. The front line has been a weakness of this organization for years. Some of these guys have to have some talent. IMHO we need someone to bring it out and I don't think Krummie is the man for the job.

teedubya
08-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Good call, fuck Krumrie. They didn't know how bad he sucked.

ThPantherFan
08-17-2009, 03:11 AM
They have Capers and Turgovac. It's only a matter of time and they will implode. Both ex panthers. We were glad to get rid of Turgovac.

OnTheWarpath15
08-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Not bad for their first game in a 3-4.

Skip Towne
08-17-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't like Krumrie because fuck him..

CupidStunt
08-17-2009, 06:55 AM
The Browns are ass, so it's no surprise a reasonably talented unit that actually ran some plays and didn't play vanilla like everyone else did well.

Consistent1
08-17-2009, 06:57 AM
There isn't any good reason to compare GB to the Chiefs. The Pack's record wasn't that great last year, but they are in a different league from us as far as expectations for this upcoming season.

DTLB58
08-17-2009, 07:26 AM

Also, it is preseason.. Doesn't mean shit unless it translates to regular season..

Their 3-4 #'s are going to look better than ours at the end of the regular season just based on schedule alone. http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?team=GB&season=2009&seasonType=REG

Also, I think they have better coaches and a little bit better talent for it than we do starting out.

Bwana
08-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Good call, **** Krumrie. They didn't know how bad he sucked.

Indeed. He needs a little one on one time with Ray Farmer.

Chiefnj2
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Capers is a much better DC than Pendergast.

Delano
08-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Capers is a much better DC than Pendergast.

Yes, but, unfortunately there was no chance of Kansas City hiring him.

Even if Capers wasn't hired by Green Bay six days after Pioli got the job in Kansas City and nearly a month before Todd Haley had the head coaching job, there wasn't the connection that Clancy had with Haley.

OctoberFart
08-17-2009, 09:35 AM

You mean Pendergast and his D that gave up 35, 37, 48, 56, and 47 pts? If Tank Tyler is playing the NT for KC you guys are screwed. He isn't football strong enough.

The Franchise
08-17-2009, 09:40 AM

What is the talent gap? Really? Their LBs are 10 times better than ours. They actually have a NT for their defense.

JD10367
08-17-2009, 09:55 AM
"GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers coach Mike McCarthy is already pleased with his decision to switch to a 3-4 defense, after only one preseason game.

New defensive coordinator Dom Capers showed off the new scheme against the Cleveland Browns in the opener and it already paid dividends with a shutout victory."

I stopped reading right there.

OctoberFart
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
"GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers coach Mike McCarthy is already pleased with his decision to switch to a 3-4 defense, after only one preseason game.

New defensive coordinator Dom Capers showed off the new scheme against the Cleveland Browns in the opener and it already paid dividends with a shutout victory."

I stopped reading right there.

Maybe Cleveland sucks but they did win double digits 2 years ago. I have to ask you do you think they have a crappy offensive line?

JD10367
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Maybe Cleveland sucks but they did win double digits 2 years ago. I have to ask you do you think they have a crappy offensive line?

I don't know. I don't care. It's frigging Cleveland, who won 4 games last year. Cleveland of the 31st-ranked YPG last season (only team worse was the Bengals) and the 30th-ranked points per game (only teams worse were the Rams and Bengals). Getting excited about goose-egging the Browns in Preseason Game #1 is akin to getting excited 'cause you managed to get a handjob at a Fat Lonely Women's Convention.

What's the point of this thread, anyway? "OMG the Pack look better in their 3-4 we are teh suck we shouldve gotten their DC!!1!!!!"? You guys just make stuff up to fret about, LOL.

Mr. Krab
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Don't forget the Pendergast really wasn't supposed to be our DC. He's the backup option because they wanted, and still want, Romeo Crennel. I still think Crennel could show up here in KC as soon as he gets healthy. Imo.