PDA

View Full Version : Football ESPN About to Refill Their Favre Spank Bank...

Gonzo
08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Fox Sports reporting Favre is still contemplating a comeback:

If I were a betting man, I'd swear Brett Favre would be joining the Vikings in the next few weeks, or at least attempt to join the team in that time frame.

Wait a minute, I am a betting man.

Now, first off, this is not one of those "FOXSports.com has learned ..." news scoops. Instead, it's a picture that has been painted for me and a prediction I'm making after spending my time with Zygi Wilf's squad. My prediction couldn't be more emphatic.

After visiting the Vikings for two days, I am convinced — positively convinced — that Brett Favre will soon have talks with the Vikings to return to the team and could be joining them for this season after all. If my instincts are correct, all those purple Favre jerseys will have a home on Minnesota store shelves.

Granted, my camp stop occurred before Sage Rosenfels lit up the Colts in the preseason opener to the tune of 10-of-13 passing for 91 yards. And if Rosenfels can continue like this, he could squash this prediction as the preseason continues.

But until I see it more consistently, I'm absolutely convinced. Why? For starters, because everyone else on the Vikings seems to be convinced of the same thing. I mean damn near everybody!

During my two days in Mankato, nearly everyone I talked to within the team talked about Favre joining not as an "if" but rather a "when."

Players, coaches, team employees ... you name it, they seem to believe it. The case for a Favre-Vikings marriage seems more likely than not when we look at the overall picture of clues.

Exhibit A) Acceptance within the team that it's pretty much already done.

When I say nearly everyone I talked to on the team is convinced he's coming, that is not an exaggeration. People from all walks of life within the organization talk about it as if it's no secret, almost an afterthought.

"I'm telling you it's already done," said one Viking. "Right after the Indy game (first preseason game). I don't think anyone here doesn't think that."

Another Viking said, "I don't know if it's done, but I think he'll be in by the third preseason game."

If it happens, when is a good question. While the one source says he thinks it will happen this week, I don't. If it happens, getting him in by the third preseason game would have been ideal, but waiting until the season starts to see if the Vikings starting quarterback falters could be another route. That way Favre can come riding in on his white horse.

Our humbled host of FOX NFL Sunday Curt Menefee also made the trip to camp when I did, and upon our exodus from Mankato, Menefee brought up how matter-of-fact the issue seemed to be around the club. Everyone acted as if they already knew something (even if they didn't) and even Menefee said he was floored by how open it seemed and how accepted it was as more than an opinion.

"It was crazy, it was like it was accepted as fact ... by everybody," said Menefee during a conversation while we were en route to the airport. "It wasn't even like it was a secret. I've never seen anything like it."

Exhibit B) Favre has not closed the door on his decision.

Those close to Favre told FOXSports.com he is still contemplating what he wants to do and is still eliciting advice from people he trusts regarding his decision. Those sources say his decision either way is far from set in stone.

Favre is still working out (at least according to what he's told others) and is still keeping in touch with members of the Vikings via text. If Favre wasn't planning to keep the door open or planning a full-on return, why would he have indicated that he would continue to throw and work out? Was that simply to make sure we all keep wondering and talking about a potential return?

Exhibit C) Best available option.

Neither Sage Rosenfels nor Tarvaris Jackson has done anything to make the Vikings feel either is the answer at quarterback. Jackson had been hurt this summer, but even when healthy he and Rosenfels have actually been outplayed during training camp by third-stringer John David Booty.

To listen to Brad Childress, one would think an open door to Favre would be in order. While I was at camp, Childress was quoted as being unhappy with the passing game. While he wanted more out of that phase of the offense, he was quick to point out that the receivers were doing well. So if the receivers are doing well but the passing game is struggling ... hmmm, who does that leave?

Exhibit D) Favre hates camp.

It's far from a secret that the NFL's version of Lou Gehrig dreads the rigors of living at a college campus, working out in the stifling sun with a bunch of kids who won't be in the league in three weeks. If he could miss camp, he would. In this case if the Vikings would take him back after camp, Favre gets his wish.

I think any NFL jury would award the verdict to a Favre return. However, while I may be completely convinced he will at least attempt to join the team now that camp has broken, the question that now arises: Will owner Zygi Wilf give Favre the go-ahead despite previously being spurned?

Some Vikings people vehemently attempted to convince me that the Vikings' ship has sailed to other waters. Childress has said they are fine with what the Vikings have. But until the final game of this season is played with no sign of No. 4 in sight, I'm not going to buy it.

The Vikings know they would be a better team with Favre at the helm. But some inside the organization believe the Wilfs could have been put off by how Favre Fiasco '09 unfolded. It dragged on past soap opera drama levels and in the end, they were left jilted at a very public altar.

However, I've got to believe that if Rosenfels and Jackson do nothing to conjure images of Fran Tarkenton, having Favre ride his mower up to the Twin Cities will begin to look awfully tempting to the Wilfs.

Again, I'm a betting man and if I had to lay a bet down right now ... I'd be willing to bet my farm.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9922912/The-vibe-at-Vikings-camp:-Favre-could-come-back)

This shit is getting so old.

wild1
08-17-2009, 08:28 AM
They need to ban Favre from the sports media. He's like Paris Hilton, he's just trying to make news, and when the story is over you have always wasted your time watching it.

MGRS13
08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
This shit is like herpes, it will never go away.

Otter
08-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I wish someone work punch Brett in the face.

Gonzo
08-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I wish someone would hit Brett in the face with a five iron.

Fixed

Mr_Tomahawk
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
...and you think you guys get tired of hearing about it....? :rolleyes:

I can't get away from it.

Consistent1
08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
What this comes down to is that if the Vikings do it this way they are the idiots, not Favre. He might have helped had he went about it properly. I would just rely on a safe passing game, Peterson and a stout D rather than let Favre skip camp and come in cold and throw a bunch of picks and force shit.

The Franchise
08-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Favre.....GO THE FUCK AWAY!!!!!

LaChapelle
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM

MMXcalibur
08-17-2009, 10:43 AM
YES! MORE FAVRE DRAMA! I LOVE THIS SHIT!
NOM NOM NOM NOM

keg in kc
08-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Jesus fucking christ, enough already.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm sure MN will pay him more than the social security he's due to start collecting.

Nzoner
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I knew this was coming,this is focking worse than the Friday the 13th series,just when you think the bastard is dead here comes part 20

hellhead
08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
The suspense is killing me.

KCFalcon59
08-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Actually, I hope he does come back now and does terrible. I hope he costs the Vikes a playoff spot.

08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I used to really like the guy. Now I can't stand his prima donna antics. He needs to pull a Hamas Jenkins.

Basileus777
08-17-2009, 11:06 AM
The Vikings would be crazy to take Favre under these conditions.

LaChapelle
08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I hope they return the favor when he goes to Canton. No, sorry, when changed our minds give us back the gold jacket, jackass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
YES! MORE FAVRE DRAMA! I LOVE THIS SHIT!
NOM NOM NOM NOM

ROFL SING THAT SONG, HONEY!!!!:D

Rep for the Demonpenz NOM NOM NOM NOM!

Shag
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
...and you think you guys get tired of hearing about it....? :rolleyes:

I can't get away from it.

I feel your pain...

Basileus777
08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Dealing with this would be a bit more understandable if Favre was still a good NFL quarterback. But he's not. We're talking about a 40 year old man who wasn't any good last year coming back after a surgery and out-of-shape right before the season begins. Why the fuck would anyone want him?

JD10367
08-17-2009, 11:22 AM
:grovel:

wild1
08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Rosenfels had a nice game the other night. Efficient passing and the team moved the ball.

CoMoChief
08-17-2009, 11:40 AM
They need to ban Favre from the sports media. He's like Paris Hilton, he's just trying to make news, and when the story is over you have always wasted your time watching it.

How is HE trying to make news? You're going to compare Favre to Paris ****ing Hilton? Really? I can't name one thing Paris Hilton has done to make herself famous. Really I can't. Her family is rich and she parties her ass off and ****s, sucks, munches, snacks, squirts, squats on a lot of cock......that's about it.

Favre is one of the games best QB's to ever walk on the field.

It's the media's fault. Not Favre's. If you don't like it then turn the channel. The media doesn't HAVE to report on Favre. They do because he's one of the games best players ever, and is still good enough I think at least to play in this league. Certainly better options than what the Vikings have on their plates now. Is that Favre's fault? Are we the ones that should tell him to hang them up? If he wants to play then let him play. If he can't make up his mind then so ****ing what. That's what ESPN etc is shoving in our faces. OMG Brett Favre was seen somewhere in Minneapolis taking a shit in a restroom in a hotel lobby. HOLY COW ****ING FIST PUMP someone call ESPN and report about it IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!! I think you see where this is going.

What are we to judge how he handles his business. It's the Vikings problem not the Chiefs. If it were KC's then I can see why some people would be pissed about this. But it's not.

As much as I am tired of hearing ESPN talk about Favre, I'm pretty much just as tired having to listen/read to people bitch about it. It won't stop til the mother ****er is in a purple uni.

wild1
08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
How is HE trying to make news? You're going to compare Favre to Paris ****ing Hilton? Really? I can't name one thing Paris Hilton has done to make herself famous. Really I can't. Her family is rich and she parties her ass off and ****s a lot of cock......that's about it.

It's the media's fault. Not Favre's. If you don't like it then turn the channel. The media doesn't HAVE to report on Favre. They do because he's one of the games best players ever, and is still good enough I think at least to play in this league. Certainly better options than what the Vikings have on their plates now. Is that Favre's fault? Are we the ones that should tell him to hang them up? If he wants to play then let him play. If he can't make up his mind then so ****ing what. That's what ESPN etc is shoving in our faces. OMG Brett Favre was seen somewhere in Minneapolis taking a shit in a restroom in a hotel lobby. HOLY COW ****ING FIST PUMP someone call ESPN and report about it IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!! I think you see where this is going.

What are we to judge how he handles his business. It's the Vikings problem not the Chiefs. If it were KC's then I can see why some people would be pissed about this. But it's not.

As much as I am tired of hearing ESPN talk about Favre, I'm pretty much just as tired having to listen/read to people bitch about it. It won't stop til the mother ****er is in a purple uni.

I don't like you demeaning my posts by replying to them. Please refrain from doing so.

Basileus777
08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
How is HE trying to make news? You're going to compare Favre to Paris fucking Hilton? Really? I can't name one thing Paris Hilton has done to make herself famous. Really I can't. Her family is rich and she parties her ass off and fucks a lot of cock......that's about it.

It's the media's fault. Not Favre's. If you don't like it then turn the channel. The media doesn't HAVE to report on Favre. They do because he's one of the games best players ever, and is still good enough I think at least to play in this league. Certainly better options than what the Vikings have on their plates now. Is that Favre's fault? Are we the ones that should tell him to hang them up? If he wants to play then let him play. If he can't make up his mind then so fucking what. That's what ESPN etc is shoving in our faces. OMG Brett Favre was seen somewhere in Minneapolis taking a shit in a restroom in a hotel lobby. HOLY COW FUCKING FIST PUMP someone call ESPN and report about it IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!! I think you see where this is going.

As much as I am tired of hearing ESPN talk about Favre, I'm pretty much just as tired having to listen/read to people bitch about it. It won't stop til the mother fucker is in a purple uni.

Favre has deliberately milked the media and the attention he has received for years. He's become a spectacle because he's allowed it and at many times, purposely made it so.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't like you demeaning my posts by replying to them. Please refrain from doing so.

LMAO

CoMoChief
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Dealing with this would be a bit more understandable if Favre was still a good NFL quarterback. But he's not. We're talking about a 40 year old man who wasn't any good last year coming back after a surgery and out-of-shape right before the season begins. Why the **** would anyone want him?

He's back in the same system as he was in with GB. And is 10x better than the crap MIN has at the QB position.

Favre > Cassel

Basileus777
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
He's back in the same system as he was in with GB. And is 10x better than the crap MIN has at the QB position.

Favre > Cassel

You clearly didn't watch him with the Jets last year. He's definitely not better than Cassel, he might not be better than Rosenfels.

Nzoner
08-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Not going to argue that point,however,he totally focked up his elite status when he GAVE Strahan the sack record.I felt terrible for Mark Gastineau that day.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Favre > Cassel

:spock: At this point in time? Are you kidding me?

CoMoChief
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM
:spock: At this point in time? Are you kidding me?

As a Viking, yes. I dont know how you could argue otherwise.

The Franchise
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Favre > Cassel

KnowMo > CoMoChief

CoMoChief
You clearly didn't watch him with the Jets last year. He's definitely not better than Cassel, he might not be better than Rosenfels.

Favre had to learn a completely different system when with NYJ

Now he would be with the same offense as he was with Green Bay, having that said Yes I would take Favre over Cassel, someone that's barely started in this league and had the benefit of playing with one of NFL's best offensive squads.

Cassel's true colors will come out this season as he won't have shit to throw to.

Bwana
:whackit:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
KnowMo > CoMoChief

LMAO

CoMoChief
08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
KnowMo > CoMoChief

right.....:LOL:

The Franchise
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
right.....:LOL:

Seriously.....the dude may be a homer to the 10th degree...but at least his shit is funny. Your shit just comes off as retarded.

Otter
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
How is HE trying to make news? You're going to compare Favre to Paris ****ing Hilton? Really? I can't name one thing Paris Hilton has done to make herself famous. Really I can't. Her family is rich and she parties her ass off and ****s, sucks, munches, snacks, squirts, squats on a lot of cock......that's about it.

That's hot

Mecca
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Well on the bright side if Favre does come back being the Vikings on Madden will be more fun.

The Franchise
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Well on the bright side if Favre does come back being the Vikings on Madden will be more fun.

I can just see it now. Everyone online is going to be playing with the Vikings and the Eagles.

Mecca
08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I can just see it now. Everyone online is going to be playing with the Vikings and the Eagles.

Being the Vikings is alot of fun even without Favre...you can dominate in the run game and you have 2 WR's with 97 speed...

I somehow completed a 50 yard flea flicker with Sage Rosenfels.

Groves
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I love it. Hope he plays.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
KnowMo > CoMoChief

Rep

Nzoner
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Being the Vikings is alot of fun even without Favre...you can dominate in the run game and you have 2 WR's with 97 speed...

I somehow completed a 50 yard flea flicker with Sage Rosenfels.

Damn and I thought I knew some fantasy football geeks :D

KCrockaholic
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Great...

JD10367
08-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Favre > Cassel at being overrated and heaving up late-game "who the f**k was he aiming at?!?" pick after pick that kills any chance your team had of winning

Fixed.

cardken
08-17-2009, 02:02 PM
If Favre does join the Vikes, the NFC North, clearly becomes the most fascinating division in the NFL this year, great stories:
Vikings and Bret vs. Packers
Detroit with Stafford
Bears With Cutler
It will be fun to watch, hope it happens.

CoMoChief
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
If Favre does join the Vikes, the NFC North, clearly becomes the most fascinating division in the NFL this year, great stories:
Vikings and Bret vs. Packers
Detroit with Stafford
Bears With Cutler
It will be fun to watch, hope it happens.

Other than Stafford being the #1 pick, that lions team is gonna be major garbage.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Other than Stafford being the #1 pick, that lions team is gonna be major garbage.

Yeah, they sure sucked against Gonzo's Atlanta.