PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lelie gives the Chiefs speed.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:04 PM
If you watched the Chiefs at all last year, or at all last Saturday, the one thing you will notice is that there is very little separation between the WR's and the DB's.

Now, part of that is the Chiefs haven't really challenged much downfield, which allows the DB's to cheat up and play tighter coverage.

But, the other part, is that the Chiefs do not have a WR that can stretch the field and put some fear into the DB's.

The one thing that Lelie has is speed. The one thing that the Chiefs don't have is speed.

The Chiefs have got plenty of big bodied guys that can move the chains, but unless they have someone to make the safeties drop, there will be little YAC yards, and our Wr's are going to take a beating catching anything over the middle.

I don't know that Lelie is going to be the answer, but I do know the question that they are trying to address.

Hopefully, Lelie knows this is his last chance... and capitalizes on his opportunity. This isn't Devard Darling...... this kid has a lot of talent. Hopefully, Haley can focus the talent.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I know one reason the Chiefs haven't gone deep much is the offensive line problems. However, Lelie gives them someone they can lay the ball up for that can run underneath it.

Fish
08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Lelie gives the Chiefs cocaine. And sometimes pot.

Fixed yer thread title...

Red Beans
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I know one reason the Chiefs haven't gone deep much is the offensive line problems. However, Lelie gives them someone they can lay the ball up for that can run underneath it.

The other reason is Thigpen's deep throws look like punts and have twice as much hang time...

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:10 PM

You are thinking of Matt Jones.

KCChiefsMan
08-17-2009, 06:10 PM
prediction: Lelie doesn't make the team

DeezNutz
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Bradley, when healthy, can stretch the field.

We didn't see this last year b/c of the previously mentioned wobble launcher.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
The other reason is Thigpen's deep throws look like punts and have twice as much hangtime...

If Cassel gets hurt, I sure hope that Croyle can stay healthy.... at least he is an accurate passer that can be consistent.

Thigpen is exciting for the right and wrong reasons.

I was hoping the starting time last year would help him take a step forward, but I think he is trade bait at this point.

Mecca
08-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Who's going to make it then? I mean really at this point he's better than most of the guys the Chiefs have up there.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Bradley, when healthy, can stretch the field.

We didn't see this last year b/c of the previously mentioned wobble launcher.

I hope Bradley can make an impact, but his best year ever was last year. Less than 400 yards is his best ever production.

I don't think he can stretch the field, as his YPC average has been less than 13 in three of his four years.

To give context to the arguement..... Bradley ran a respectable 4.42 coming out of college. Lelie ran a 4.27.

Lelie's speed is on a different level.

DeezNutz
08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Leslie may be more gifted, but Toomer will likely prove to be far more productive.

I expect to see Bowe, Bradley, and Toomer. And when Bradley does his best Croyle impression, which will definitely happen, Leslie will see some snaps.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:17 PM

I don't think the Chiefs bring a body in this late to camp that they don't think will make it.

I am not saying Lelie is going to be 'great'.... but I think he will make the team and give the Chiefs a decent deep threat that the opposing defense at least has to respect.

Red Beans
08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
If Cassel gets hurt, I sure hope that Croyle can stay healthy.... at least he is an accurate passer that can be consistent.

Thigpen is exciting for the right and wrong reasons.

I was hoping the starting time last year would help him take a step forward, but I think he is trade bait at this point.

I agree, the guys says all the right things and you can't help but root for a guy out of Costal Carolina. That being said there was a time when I wanted him to start but wathcing the games the second time around made me realize just how inaccurate Thigpen is.

Mecca
08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I find it interesting that people call Lelie a scrub then turn around and talk about what Mark Bradley brings when over their careers Bradley has been more the scrub..

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Leslie may be more gifted, but Toomer will likely prove to be far more productive.

I expect to see Bowe, Bradley, and Toomer. And when Bradley does his best Croyle impression, which will definitely happen, Leslie will see some snaps.

I am not saying Lelie will catch 50 balls or go for 1000 yards.

He may be third or fourth on the team in catches and yards.

But, even still, he can make an impact that no other WR on this roster can. And, even if he doesn't get the ball, he can give the other Wr's more room to work.

Marcellus
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Lelie got the Chiefs free of Jeff Webb. With that alone, the signing has already been somewhat of a success.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I agree, the guys says all the right things and you can't help but root for a guy out of Costal Carolina. That being said there was a time when I wanted him to start but wathcing the games the second time around made me realize just how inaccurate Thigpen is.

Actually, I hope he isn't trade bait.... I do hope the Chiefs put him on the field in their version of the Wildcat..... similar to the way Gailey used Slash....

Red Beans
08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Lelie got the Chiefs free of Jeff Webb. With that alone, the signing has already been somewhat of a success.

Jackpot!:clap:

Red Beans
08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Actually, I hope he isn't trade bait.... I do hope the Chiefs put him on the field in their version of the Wildcat..... similar to the way Gailey used Slash....

Well he's got wheels and he can catch the ball. (think the Tampa Bay game) I would like to see some utter craziness out of Chan and Thigpen. Having three adequate QB's when one is as brittle as a 90 year old geriatric with osteoperosis is a safe way to go. I hope we keep all 3 and Guiterrez gets the practice squad.

DeezNutz
08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I am not saying Lelie will catch 50 balls or go for 1000 yards.

He may be third or fourth on the team in catches and yards.

But, even still, he can make an impact that no other WR on this roster can. And, even if he doesn't get the ball, he can give the other Wr's more room to work.

I'm in favor of the signing. Absolutely no downside or risk.

Mecca
08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Well now they have to find someone who can return...

Buehler445
08-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Well now they have to find someone who can return...

I read that they have Engram returning :eek:

Fuck, stick Lelie back there if he has elite speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Molitoth
08-17-2009, 07:14 PM

****, stick Lelie back there if he has elite speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Right now they are trying to find anyone that will catch the ball and run upfield..... the returners have not looked good so far.

Simply Red
08-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Who's going to make it then? I mean really at this point he's better than most of the guys the Chiefs have up there.

that's so incredibly Mecca, i can't even restrain from typing this.:LOL:

Tribal Warfare
08-17-2009, 07:31 PM

the thread title is correct since MO is the meth capital of the U.S.

Simply Red
08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
the thread title is correct since MO is the meth capital of the U.S.

have you ever been to Independence? eeekkkkk! just sayin'

Mr. Krab
08-17-2009, 07:34 PM
I must say that a 4-wide set with Bowe,Bradley,Toomer and Lelie sounds alot better than anything i can remember the Chiefs having.

Can Bradley and Lelie stay healthy? Is Lelie finally going to step up?

Simply Red
08-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I must say that a 4-wide set with Bowe,Bradley,Toomer and Lelie sounds alot better than anything i can remember the Chiefs having.

Can Bradley and Lelie stay healthy? Is Lelie finally going to step up?

hasn't he (A.L.) had some very impressive games, sure, not seasons, but....?

listopencil
08-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Lelie gives the Chiefs a vagina...and speed.

Simply Red
08-17-2009, 07:41 PM

ouch but funny. but, ouch.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 07:45 PM

****, stick Lelie back there if he has elite speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

In certain situations, they will. He is a safe alternative. When the other team is punting from inside the Chiefs 50 yard line, there isn't much chance of a return....

You want a guy that can make a good judgement call as to whether it will make it to the end zone, whether to fair catch it, or whether to try to return it.

You also want a guy that will catch it cleanly and not put it on the carpet. The reality is that if the other team is punting inside the 50, you are looking at very little chance for a return. So, they will go with the safe choice.

dirk digler
08-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I understand the speed part what I don't understand is why add another WR that can't catch the football. We already have a roster full of those guys

Mr. Krab
08-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I understand the speed part what I don't understand is why add another WR that can't catch the football. We already have a roster full of those guys
They waited too long. What wide receiver with good speed and hands is available right now?

dirk digler
08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
They waited too long. What wide receiver with good speed and hands is available right now?

Fair point

banyon
08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Jesus, we signed this clown? WTF

Sure-Oz
08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd take a week of Lelie to make sure Webb was gone

banyon
08-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Time to update the website:

Skip Towne
08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Jesus, we signed this clown? WTF

Just hoping Haley can make something out of this guy. He has the tools.

banyon
08-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Just hoping Haley can make something out of this guy. He has the tools.

He hasn't had a productive season since 2004. He's a slightly taller sammie parker.

Mecca
08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Slightly taller? He's like 5 inches taller.

Sure-Oz
08-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Isn't lelie like 6'3

banyon
08-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Slightly taller? He's like 5 inches taller.

Fair enough. Same physicality and work discipline.

dirk digler
08-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Fair enough. Same physicality and work discipline.

Same hands too

TRR
08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I would have to say that I am moderately excited about this signing. It's early enough in camp, and with 3 Preseason games left, that Lelie can learn the offense and be comfortable by opening day. I think he really is what Haley hoped Toomer would be in KC. He's a tall, long armed WR that can stretch a defense even if he's lost a step. Unforunately I don't think Toomer has the speed anymore to be more than an insurance WR through the rest of camp.

To me, Lelie is what Toomer was supposed to be when signed. A 6'3 target that can get vertical. Unfortunately looking at Toomer in camp, he can't stretch the D much anymore...he does however have good hands.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 09:04 PM

LMAO

KCBOSS1
08-17-2009, 10:46 PM
What has happened with Engram starting. I thought they might major on him as a possession guy. Is he just too old or what's the deal. I haven't heard anything about him much since signing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
What has happened with Engram starting. I thought they might major on him as a possession guy. Is he just too old or what's the deal. I haven't heard anything about him much since signing.

I guess they're saving the majority of the vets for game day?

veist
08-17-2009, 11:59 PM
I find it interesting that people call Lelie a scrub then turn around and talk about what Mark Bradley brings when over their careers Bradley has been more the scrub..

He probably gets a bit of a pass from a lot of people because he played in Chicago.

T-post Tom
08-18-2009, 12:06 AM

I like vaginas. Just sayin'...

salame
08-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I think it's hard to stretch the field when the qb is being pressured every single play

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I think it's hard to stretch the field when the qb is being pressured every single play

Salami; will you marry my ball-sweat?

Ugly Duck
08-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Time to update the website:

Just play him in the Denver games. In 2008 he caught 7 passes against Denver & a total of 4 other receptions in all the rest of the games combined. Sorta like sleeping through the season & only waking up for Bronco games.

ClevelandBronco
08-18-2009, 01:37 AM
The other reason is Thigpen's deep throws look like punts and have twice as much hang time...

Maybe they'll let Ashley fair catch those passes. With his hands it's his best bet.

Hammock Parties
08-18-2009, 01:53 AM

Engram was brought in to be the slot guy.

Taco John
08-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Prediction: Lelie will drag along and suck most of the time, except will manage to come up with outstanding games against Denver.

Lelie has got talent. He just seems to play when he wants to.

T-post Tom
08-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Maybe they'll let Ashley fair catch those passes. With his hands it's his best bet.

I remember when the Chiefs picked up Kennison and the Donk fans came crawling out of the woodwork, ridiculing the Chiefs for signing him. According to them: Kennison had skillet hands...no character...was a locker room cancer...blah...blah..blah. Well, the stats and his production while here proved otherwise. Of his 6 1/2 seasons with the Chiefs, he played very well except for the very last season; when age and injuries finally caught up to him. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Kennison.

Valiant
08-18-2009, 02:19 AM
What was with the espn flashing up burress and toomer with a chiefs logo about 1100 monday night.. the bar had the volume off so I couldn't hear what they said..

SenselessChiefsFan
08-18-2009, 05:12 AM

Sure, but you can use misdirection to get the QB out of the pocket, you can do a three step drop with a go route, depending on the defensive alignment. You just have to have a guy fast enough to run underneath the rainbow.