PDA

View Full Version : KU ESPN: Reesing takes KU to new heights

Fritz88
08-19-2009, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview09/news/story?id=4404348

As his coach beckoned him to the sidelines, Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing was expecting to learn something about his throwing delivery or how he was calling audibles at the line of scrimmage.

But when Mark Mangino signaled that he wanted to talk about something, Reesing definitely wasn't prepared for what he heard next from his coach.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0817/ncf_i_reesing_200.jpg
overlooked in the Big 12, QB Todd Reesing has rewritten the Jayhawks' record book in his Kansas career.

"He got me off to the side and asked, 'Todd … what are we going to do about this market?'" Reesing said, chuckling at the memory. "So instead of wondering which running plays to call for the next game, me and him were sitting there talking about the financial district and how it was going to affect our lives."

It's not surprising that Mangino shares his financial concerns with Reesing, a budding scholar-athlete who is working toward a double major in economics and finance and would like to study abroad after he graduates. But before he gets there, he will finish what undoubtedly is the greatest career for a quarterback in Kansas school history.

Reesing has already set virtually every KU passing record. He's taken the Jayhawks to within a game of the Big 12 championship game in 2007, their first BCS bowl victory and the first back-to-back bowl trips in the 119-season history of the program.

But because of the strength of the Big 12 and its top-heavy collection of quarterbacks, Reesing gets overlooked at times in a conference dotted with Heisman finalists like Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford.

It's been that way throughout Reesing's career. His college production is a testament to his persistence; he convinced Mangino to offer him a scholarship after barely being recruited coming out of high school.

Few other big schools were interested in the 5-foot-11, 200-pound Reesing then, thinking he was too small to play at the FBS level. That disinterest came despite a storied senior season at Lake Travis High School in Austin, where he threw for 3,340 yards and accounted for 49 touchdowns.
Big 12 blog

Griffin Which Big 12 team will fail to live up to expectations? Will OU's green O-line make Sam Bradford regret returning to Norman? Tim Griffin examines the Big 12 race and answers your questions as the preseason winds down. Big 12 blog

• 12-pack of Big 12 predictions
• Five questions for 2009 Big 12 season
• Chat wrap: Tim Griffin

"I've had to fight naysayers my entire life," said Reesing, who was ranked by ESPN.com's Scouts Inc. as the 86th-best quarterback prospect in the nation and only the 13th-best quarterback in Texas in his recruiting class. "It's something you wish would stop, but for some reason there's always something I've had to prove what I could do."

If the teams couldn't be convinced by his play on the field, Reesing and his family decided to take a more direct route.

Through a family friend, Reesing forged a relationship with then-Kansas recruiting coordinator Tim Beck and got him a highlight tape. Beck was impressed and showed Mangino, who was intrigued enough to let Reesing know he would like to visit with him.

That was all Reesing needed. He traveled to the Jayhawks' training facility in Lawrence and won Mangino over in a memorable sales pitch that still has the coach raving several years later.

"He really had this swagger about him," Mangino said. "When he shook my hand, he looked me right in the eye. He was full of energy. He was intelligent. He could speak on subjects other than just football. And he had a bounce in his step."

Not only could Reesing influence people; he also could play a little football, too, as Mangino soon learned after watching his tape in detail.

[+] EnlargeMangino and Reesing
John Rieger/US PresswireMark Mangino was one of very few coaches to give Reesing a chance coming out of high school. Together, the coach and QB have taken Kansas to new heights.

"The coaches came down to my office to ask me what I thought of him because I'd already watched the tape," Mangino said. "And I can almost quote, I said, 'He's small. He's really small. But I like him. And if we can get him, let's get him.' He exuded confidence, and he was just like a stick of dynamite."

After getting his chance, Reesing has made the most of it. He showed flashes as a freshman, leading a comeback victory over Colorado late that season. After winning the starting job as a sophomore, he directed the Jayhawks' Cinderella season in 2007 that finished with a school-record 12-1 mark.

His second season as a starter was even better, at least from a statistical sense. Reesing finished last year ranked in the top 10 nationally in passing yards (3,888), completions per game (25.3), total offense (4,112 yards) and passing yards per game (299.1) as he led the Jayhawks to a victory over Minnesota in the Insight Bowl.

But as much as his statistics, opponents rave about his leadership and playmaking abilities.

"He just never quits," Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon said. "I think we've only sacked him once in three years. He's a tough guy who likes to run around and just make things happen. It's pretty frustrating him because he never gives up on a play."

Reesing's return -- one of only two full-time quarterback starters in the North Division -- is one of the primary reasons Kansas has emerged as a fashionable preseason choice to contend for its first trip to the Big 12 title game.

"I've shown I can play a little football here and there -- we all have," Reesing said. "Now it's about earning and building on that respect for our program."

Taking the Jayhawks to the title game would cap Reesing's college career with a flourish.

"I feel like I've still got a lot to do around here. There are still some things we've had as goals that we've fallen short on," Reesing said. "I've played my role, I guess you can say, and everything I've accomplished was because of the players around me. But hopefully, we can keep it going and make this last one a year to remember."

Tim Griffin covers college football for ESPN.com. You may contact him at espntimgriff@yahoo.com.

teedubya
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
ROCK CHALK!!!

L.A. Chieffan
08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
CHiefs #1 pick

notorious
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
If KU goes into the OU game healthy they will have an excellent chance to upset them.

beer bacon
08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
If KU goes into the OU game healthy they will have an excellent chance to upset them.

lol no

Mr_Tomahawk
08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Going to be a fun year for Jayhawk fans.

Sure-Oz
08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone going to the border showdown this year? i already ordered my tickets, go mizzou

notorious
08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
lol no

OU is not invincible. KU will be playing them at home, the week after OU plays Texas. Reesing is an experienced QB, KU matches up well against OU in a few key positions, and Magino is a former Snyder/Stoops Assistant.

Not likely, but there are a lot of indicators pointing toward a very tight game, and maybe even an upset.

beer bacon
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Anyone going to the border showdown this year? i already ordered my tickets, go mizzou

I will. Mizzou's offense should be humming by then.

Spott
08-19-2009, 05:39 PM

ROFL

Pablo
08-19-2009, 05:42 PM
ROFLThe same sort of delusions some Mizzou fans had two years in a row.

Spicy McHaggis
08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Apparently they don't teach real man's football at Mizzou.

NSFW Language

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oto3BMYPP1w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oto3BMYPP1w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr_Tomahawk
08-19-2009, 05:49 PM

NSFW Language

Chase you got any moves? HA ROFL

Frazod
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
It's kind of funny to see the words "Reesing" and "heights" in the same sentence. :D

CosmicPal
08-19-2009, 05:56 PM

I swear I've only watched five minutes of the current Hard Knocks with the Bengals, and that was the one scene I managed to watch a couple of days ago. Strange.

Pablo
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
To be fair to Coffman, he did play in the Big 12; and it isn't like any of the defenses he faced commanded him to do any more than route right up the middle and play jump-ball.

Sure-Oz
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
I will. Mizzou's offense should be humming by then.

As long as it doesn't go like last year...losing at the end, i get jumped by a couple of assholes, and it's raining like a mother****er

I am really curious to see how the tigers will be this year, ku will be pretty good

Pablo
08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
As long as it doesn't go like last year...losing at the end, i get jumped by a couple of assholes, and it's raining like a mother****er

I am really curious to see how the tigers will be this year, ku will be pretty goodWere said assholes Mizzou or KU fans?

Sure-Oz
08-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Were said assholes Mizzou or KU fans?

I hate to say this, but it was a mizzou fan and his buddy who wasn't wearing a particular color. I was pretty pissed off, didn't help i was pretty damn shitfaced, i got lucky and got a direct hit on the guy and the other dude didnt want to fight after that. I had my gfs purse with me cause i had to walk back to the car cause security said the bag was too big and the guy tried to steal it from me.

Skip Towne
08-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I hate to say this, but it was a mizzou fan and his buddy who wasn't wearing a particular color. I was pretty pissed off, didn't help i was pretty damn shitfaced, i got lucky and got a direct hit on the guy and the other dude didnt want to fight after that. I had my gfs purse with me cause i had to walk back to the car cause security said the bag was too big and the guy tried to steal it from me.

Shocking.

kepp
08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Reesing takes KU to new heights

Hehe...a play on words.

Sure-Oz
11-20-2009, 01:36 AM
I am really curious to see how the tigers will be this year, ku will be pretty good

Looks like i was wrong....

kepp
11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
As his coach beckoned him to the sidelines...

"Nom, nom, nom"