08-20-2009, 09:37 AM
nfl
Again, Broncos' Marshall seeks pay boost
Receiver's agent comes to team seeking new contract and leaves without it
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/17/2009 08:26:04 PM MDT
Updated: 08/18/2009 02:08:57 PM MDT

Broncos WR Brandon Marshall, right, at training camp Sunday (John Leyba, The Denver Post)Related
Training Camp
Aug 19:
Dove Valley Days: Broncos rookies seeing lots of actionAug 18:
Disgruntled Marshall back at Broncos' campDumervil ready to multitaskThat didn't take long.

On the first business day after Brandon Marshall was exonerated of battery charges following a trial Friday in Atlanta, his agent, Kennard McGuire, walked into Broncos headquarters at Dove Valley between training camp workout sessions Monday.

Two NFL sources said McGuire sought out Broncos management to get a feel for the team's position on giving Marshall a contract extension. The Broncos told McGuire that at this time they were not willing to rework the wide receiver's deal, which has one year and $2.2 million remaining.

Marshall then reiterated his trade demand that he first issued in June. The Broncos again told Marshall on Monday that they would not trade him.

Amid this contract disagreement was

Post Poll: Marshall's contract

Should the Broncos renegotiate Brandon Marshall's contract to give the star receiver more money? Read story

Yes: He's worth the money for 100 catches.
No: Too many issues, too much money.

another issue that caused Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis to personally apologize to Marshall. A teammate had told Marshall that a member of the Broncos' public relations staff was telling players after their preseason game Friday night what to say if they were asked about Marshall's acquittal. According to one source, the players were told: "Don't say you're happy for Brandon. Say it's good for the organization that this is behind us."
Marshall, believing the PR staffer was getting a directive from a superior, met with Ellis on Monday. Accompanying the receiver was Harvey Steinberg, the lawyer who represented Marshall at his trial.

Ellis apologized to Marshall during the meeting. A team source said the PR staffer was independently offering the advice.

And so it goes with the Broncos and their young stars at Dove Valley.

Marshall was excused from the evening practice Monday — when not injured, he has been on a one-a-day camp schedule — and McGuire left the team's headquarters without comment around 6:40 p.m.

Despite issuing his trade request, Marshall is not planning a contract holdout, in part because he doesn't want to pay a daily fine of $15,888. He is expected to participate in the

Denver Broncos
View slide show of training camp Aug. 19.
View slide show of training camp Aug. 18.
View slide show of Broncos rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith.
View slide show of Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall return.
View slide show of Broncos-Niners preseason game Aug. 14.
Find analysis and notes from training camp on the All Things Broncos blog.
Ask Mike Klis about the team or NFL in the Broncos Mailbag.
Evaluate the latest team numbers on the Broncos Stats Page.
Post photos of your team spirit.
Pore over Broncos '09 schedule.
team's practice this afternoon.
A big reason the Broncos are pausing at revisiting Marshall's contract is collective bargaining rules would allow the team to recoup only a small portion of any guarantee through a "morals clause."

Because he has been previously suspended for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, Marshall could be subject to a lengthy suspension with another off-field incident.

The Broncos would not have to pay Marshall any game checks for the length of his suspension, but the bulk of the money in football contracts is written into bonuses.

Let's use Roddy White as an example, as Marshall probably is. During his trip to Atlanta last week, Marshall spoke with White, the Atlanta Falcons' top receiver who recently received a six-year extension with an $18.6 million guarantee.

White recorded a combined 2,584 yards and 13 touchdowns the past two years while in that same period Marshall had 2,590 yards and 13 touchdowns.

If the Broncos gave Marshall a similar $18.6 million guarantee, they could use the morals clause to recover only $775,000 (25 percent of the prorated bonus in the particular year of his suspension).

As for trading Marshall, his off-field issues, offseason hip surgery and desires for a new contract figure to make it difficult for the Broncos to receive fair value in return.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Mr. Krab
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Stay strong Marshall, don't let those dam Denver suits push you around!!!!!!!!!!!

Mile High Mania
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
So, today (the 20th of August)... you've posted an article from the 17th (updated on the 18th) of August that provides nothing different from the two other Marshall related threads. And, you've posted on the other threads...

Fantastic!

ModSocks
08-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Stay strong Marshall, don't let those dam Denver suits push you around!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Straight!

Quesadilla Joe
08-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Brandon Marshall wants a new contract?!?!?!!?!?

Since when?!?!?!

Oh yeah... Since May.

Why the media wants to try and create new stories out of old news is beyond me.:shake:

ModSocks
08-20-2009, 09:48 AM
So, today (the 20th of August)... you've posted an article from the 17th (updated on the 18th) of August that provides nothing different from the two other Marshall related threads. And, you've posted on the other threads...

Fantastic!

You have become a very, very evil little donkey fan.

Mile High Mania
08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
You have become a very, very evil little donkey fan.

Well, with the popularity of the other threads (and seeing BCF post in them)... I kinda figured this wasn't going to be 3 day old material, that has already been posted. I dunno...

wasi
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Well, with the popularity of the other threads (and seeing BCF post in them)... I kinda figured this wasn't going to be 3 day old material, that has already been posted. I dunno...

We as Chiefs fans have suffered through winning 6 games the last two years and the whole Herm Edwards era.. finally the team appears to be on the upswing so excuse us for getting excited and having a little fun around here when our hated division rival now appears to be faltering/imploding.

Mile High Mania
08-20-2009, 10:19 AM
We as Chiefs fans have suffered through winning 6 games the last two years and the whole Herm Edwards era.. finally the team appears to be on the upswing so excuse us for getting excited and having a little fun around here when our hated division rival now appears to be faltering/imploding.

Don't get me wrong... I totally understand, but it was just a repeat of another thread already in the top half of the first page.

LaChapelle
08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
If he was already on my team, I'd want him. If he wasn't, I wouldn't. Trouble and injury

jlscorpio
08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
C'mon! Gimme my allowance! I'll be good, I SWEAR!!!

POND_OF_RED
08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4415965
Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall didn't travel with the team for a Saturday night preseason game in Seattle.

Marshall, who has completely recovered from offseason hip surgery and is ready to play, has most recently expressed dismay with the Broncos over their refusal to redo his contract or trade him and with their handling of his acquittal on battery charges last week, when players were told by a staffer not to say they were happy for him.

Marshall had boycotted the Broncos' offseason workouts, at first to recover from the surgery but then in protest of his contract and what he felt was the team's misdiagnosis of his hip injury.

Coach Josh McDaniels said after practice Thursday that he hadn't decided on playing plans for Marshall, who missed the preseason opener at San Francisco last week while attending his court case in Atlanta.

But McDaniels said he would meet with his staff later to determine whether Marshall would play.

Ater practice Thursday, Marshall spent more than 30 minutes talking with special teams coordinator Mike Phifer at midfield while former Broncos great Rod Smith spent the same amount of time tutoring second-year wideout Eddie Royal about 60 yards away.

Smith formerly served as Marshall's mentor after the fourth-year pro was suspended for last season's opener over a series of domestic disputes.

Reporters were shooed away before getting a chance to speak with either Marshall or Smith, who declined an invitation to go to the media room, according to a team spokesman.

Broncos just keep on killing themselves. ROFLROFLROFL

JD10367
08-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Maybe they'll trade him to Chicago for one of their backup WRs. :)

Quesadilla Joe
08-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Brandon Marshall isn't healthy enough to play anyways. That is why he isn't going to Seattle.

Where is ESPN's story on how Brian Dawkins didn't go to Seattle???????????

CaliforniaChief
08-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Cutler's not traveling with the Broncos, either. Anything to that? Should we be concerned?

Bowser
08-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Brandon Marshall isn't healthy enough to play anyways. That is why he isn't going to Seattle.

Just accept that your team is in complete disaray. It'd be easier on you that way.

Just Passin' By
08-22-2009, 12:13 PM

Hmmm......

There is something amiss between the Broncos and Brandon Marshall.

The Broncos made a curious decision Friday when they decided not to take their top receiver with them for their preseason game here tonight against the Seattle Seahawks.

Three other Broncos players — Brian Dawkins, Knowshon Moreno and Brandon Lloyd — also didn't make the trip. However, they were all held back because of injuries.

Marshall is healthy. His status with the team seemed to change Tuesday afternoon when his agent, Kennard McGuire, met with Broncos management to reiterate a trade request Marshall said he first delivered to owner Pat Bowlen during a face-to-face meeting in June.

In the Broncos' practices Sunday and Monday morning, Marshall began the sessions running plays with the second team, but he would occasionally mix in with the No. 1 offense.

Following the meeting between McGuire and the Broncos, Marshall spent the rest of the week relegated to the scout team.

Marshall said he didn't mind the scout team demotion because he admittedly didn't know the playbook.

Is Marshall getting punished? Or are the Broncos contemplating acting upon Marshall's discontent as they did former quarterback Jay Cutler by putting him on the trading block?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13182800?source=rss

You hold on to the fantasy as long as you can, though.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hmmm......

ROFLROFLROFL

Bowser
08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Hmmm......

But....but.....he's doing what he can to be a good teammate and learn the playbook and stuff!! [/KnobMo]

Quesadilla Joe
08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmmm......

He is still recovering from hip surgery and a hamstring injury. He will play when McDaniels thinks he is ready. He will play week 1 if he isn't traded for a stud defensive lineman or a first round pick by then.

Bowser
08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
He is still recovering from hip surgery and a hamstring injury. He will play when McDaniels thinks he is ready. He will play week 1 if he isn't traded for a stud defensive lineman or a first round pick by then.

LMAO

Just Passin' By
08-22-2009, 12:31 PM

http://www.threesources.com/archives/kevin-bacon.jpg

Quiet Storm
08-22-2009, 02:16 PM

ROFL

Wow...keep on dwelling in your denial. First it's 'he's ok, the media is making this up' to 'he's healthy, he will play when mcdaniels wants him to play" to "wait till we get a first rounder or a stud defensive lineman". Just wow. So some team who runs the defense you run (the 3-4) is going to up jump and give away A 'STUD' defensive lineman (Not even considering how hard good/great 3-4 lineman are to find) for a WR who is in his contract year, has a history of being unstable, coming off a major injury, and hates the new HC?

Ok gotcha.

orange
08-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Diner morning news: Broncos have a weapon.

Michael Lombardi
August 20, 2009, 10:38 AM EST

BRANDON MARSHALL AND TRUST

The headlines often don’t match the real essence of what’s being said, and that was obvious this morning reading about Brandon Marshall and the Broncos. Marshall is one of the best wideouts in the NFL and wants a new deal, but his off-the-field behavior has made the Broncos wary about investing in a new contract (giving Travis Henry and Daryl Gardner big money would have made anyone wary). However, Marshall admitted there are mutual problems when he said, “There are trust issues on both sides and that's understandable. We've got to try our best to move forward.” At least he’s willing to do that, willing to learn the playbook and willing to acknowledge that he’s made his share of mistakes. For me, this is an indication of progress.

Watching the Broncos the other night in San Francisco, I thought their offense looked exceptional in terms of their design, and all I kept thinking was how good they’ll be when Marshall is added to the equation. He dictates coverage from the defense and is the kind of player who has to be respected, short and long. Opposing defensive coordinators must ask a very simple question when game planning against Marshall: Who is going to be able to tackle him when he gets the ball in his hands? Opponents can’t play a smaller corner on his side or they’ll throw him bubble screens and force the corner to tackle. Trust me, this will end after two bubble screens because the corner will have had enough. It’s no fun in tackling Brandon Marshall.

What makes the Broncos so exciting to watch on offense is that when Marshall is on the field, head coach Josh McDaniels will be able to move him around, shifting personnel groups as he lines up Marshall all over the field. Then it will become very difficult to roll coverage to him, double him and, most important, get the best tackler on him. Marshall will not shift or move when McDaniels wants the coverage to roll to him, thus allowing him to attack other parts of the opponent’s defense. Marshall is the kind of player that great coaches know how to use to help others make plays.

That’s why Broncos have indicated they don’t want to trade Marshall; they need him to maximize their offensive potential. Marshall can help Kyle Orton become a better player. He will not stop him from throwing interceptions, but he can make the reads easier, and his ability to run after the catch will be a huge asset for Orton.

If Marshall is willing to make this work, so are the Broncos.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Marshall-and-trust.html

Quiet Storm
08-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Marshall situation gets uglier

August 22, 2009 1:36 PM

The Brandon Marshall saga took another turn when the team went to Seattle for Saturday's preseason game and left the disgruntled receiver at home.

The only other players not to make the trip were hurt. Hurt feelings shouldn't count, but Marshall was left home after asking to be traded again, the Denver Post reports.

This situation is getting ugly again after it looked like the two sides were making progress. Marshall was running with the scout team last week and he admitted he didn't know the playbook. However, a few days earlier, when he was getting significant practice time, the lack of playbook knowledge didn't seem to be an issue.

This thing is headed out of control. The Broncos don't want to trade Marshall. But if they use him on the scout team and don't take him on road trips, what's the use? They might as well trade him.

Do you think Marshall is bummed that he didn't go on the road trip? He doesn't want to be a Bronco and Saturday night, he won't be on the field.

In a strange way, the Broncos are playing into Marshall's hands by leaving him at home. The way I see it, this thing has three ways of playing out: 1) Marshall and the Broncos can get on the same page for this season; 2) he could be traded or; 3) this silly game will continue and the Broncos will end up suspending Marshall.

Of course, the only reasonable option is the first. But it doesn't seem like either side is close to making that happen.

ROFL Josh McDaniels....I'm Lovin It.

CaliforniaChief
08-22-2009, 03:50 PM

http://www.failfunnies.com/32/images/we-will-not-end-in-fail.jpg

Quesadilla Joe
08-22-2009, 03:53 PM
It is Brandon Marshall's contract year. If Denver doesn't get what it wants in a trade then they don't have to trade him.

Marshall will play and he will play hard. He has already said he is not going to hold out because he can't afford the fines. And he certainly can't afford to lose game checks. I don't care if Brandon Marshall is happy or not, he can't afford to not produce in his contract year. :)

Fairplay
08-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Marshall will play and he will play hard. He has already said he is not going to hold out because he can't afford the fines. And he certainly can't afford to lose game checks. I don't care if Brandon Marshall is happy or not, he can't afford to not produce in his contract year. :)

I think he will play because i'm sure he would love to have the game checks.

I don't think he will play hard though. IMO