PDA

View Full Version : Football The Curse of Bobby Layne

CosmicPal
08-20-2009, 09:18 PM
LOL...I wasn't aware of this interesting historical fact:

In 1958, after he had led the Lions to three NFL championship games and provided Detroit nearly a decade of Hall of Fame play, the Lions traded Bobby Layne. Bobby was injured during the last championship season, and the Lions thought he was through and wanted to get what they could for him. According to legend, as he was leaving for Pittsburgh, Bobby said that Detroit "would not win for 50 years."

Since this time, the Lions have not won another championship and have only a single playoff game win. Some have attributed the Lions' subsequent 49 years of futility to the "The Curse of Bobby Layne."

Okay, now back to your regular Chiefs discussion threads.

Rain Man
08-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Okay, who did the Chiefs trade 39 years ago?

Skip Towne
08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
My first football was an autograph Bobby Layne model. I had no idea who he was.

cdcox
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
The curse of Mike Garret!!!!!

Skyy God
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Dude, you must not have been paying attention during the leadup to the draft. Layne and Stafford went to the same HS.

CosmicPal
08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Dude, you must not have been paying attention during the leadup to the draft. Layne and Stafford went to the same HS.

Did not know that. I guess the curse has been lifted then.

chefsos
08-20-2009, 09:41 PM
If I remember correctly, one of the backup QBs on that Steeler team Layne joined was... Len Dawson.

CosmicPal
08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
The curse of Mike Garret!!!!!

I'd hate to say this, but if there is any curse, it would be our beloved stadium. Erected in 1972, it coincided with the end of the glory years for the Chiefs, and the start of downright awful teams in the 70's and early 80's.

chefsos
08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd hate to say this, but if there is any curse, it would be our beloved stadium. Erected in 1972, it coincided with the end of the glory years for the Chiefs, and the start of downright awful teams in the 70's and early 80's.

Isn't there a park or something where Municipal Stadium once stood? Maybe they should go get some magic dirt from there and sprinkle it at Arrowhead...

CosmicPal
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Isn't there a park or something where Municipal Stadium once stood? Maybe they should go get some magic dirt from there and sprinkle it at Arrowhead...

There's an idea.

Of course, Native American Indians are known to be very spiritual people. Maybe we can send some peyote over and have them do a dance or something? :shrug: