PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Grtez: Favre & Barry Show … Friday Cup O’Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Favre & Barry Show … Friday Cup O’Chiefs (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/favre-barry-show-%E2%80%A6-friday-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html)
August 21, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls, Wisconsin

The track for Barry Richardson is all clear.

There’s nothing but green lights and go signals between him and the job as the Chiefs starting right tackle. All he has to do is move his now much lighter caboose down the track with as few problems as possible.

That begins Friday night at the Metrodome when the Chiefs have pre-season game No. 2 against the Minnesota Vikings (7 p.m. kickoff.)

On the purple side of the game the attention falls on 34-year old quarterback who is out to push his career to 19 years. Brett Favre reportedly will start for the Vikings. How long he plays is unknown, but he’s not expected to be out there very long.

On the red side of the field are dozens of stories like that of Barry Richardson – guys just trying to make a place for themselves in the NFL. In his rookie season last year, Richardson got just special teams duty in six games. He did not play a down on offense.

Todd Haley wasn’t naming any starters on Thursday as the Chiefs started packing before breaking camp. But this week, Richardson was moved into the starting lineup at right tackle ahead of Damion McIntosh and Herb Taylor. To stay there, he must make tonight’s performance a good one.

“I try to get a little bit better every day,” Richardson said. “That’s what I want to do Friday night, just get better.”

Richardson’s opportunity is a bit of a surprise, but it comes due to his willingness to dive in head first to Haley’s off-season program.

“(I) think Barry has a chance, said Haley. “He’s a guy who used the off-season program to his benefit. Lost more weight than anybody else in the entire off-season program, got himself in condition, and got himself much stronger which he is continuing to work on. He should continue to get stronger as we go forward. He’s made progress daily, not without some ups and downs. It’s not picture perfect, by any means – a work in progress – but I think he’s created some competition at the right tackle position.”

When Richardson left Kansas City after the final game of the ‘08 season, he weighed 330 pounds.

He spent two months at home in South Carolina eating Mom’s cooking and when he showed up for the off-season program, he weighed 350 pounds.

Richardson will play at 318 pounds against the Vikings and says he will likely be down to 315 pounds in the next week as the Chiefs continue their training camp in the hotter temperatures of Kansas City.

How did he lose the weight?

“One less bite,” the soft-spoken Richardson said with a smile. “I ate a lot of salads, and cut back on the fried foods. In the South, we like fried foods.

“I just took it as a challenge when he told me he wanted me to play at 320 pounds. I just worked every day (in the off-season program) to get better. I feel lighter, I feel better. I haven’t lost any strength in losing the weight. I’m quicker now too.

“It’s helped me get better.”

Richardson lost the weight in his middle, but he laughs and says “no” when asked if he has a six-pack of abdominal muscles now. “I’d need to lose another 20 pounds to have those,” he said.

The fact the team finished 2-14 and Richardson barely got any playing time did not make the ‘08 season a complete waste for him. “I learned a lot of things,” he said. “I was able to fine tune my pass protection, which I wasn’t that great at. Practicing every day against Tamba Hali and those guys, I used that to m y advantage to work on my skills.”

Getting better bit by bit, day by day; that approach is something that has served Richardson well.

“My Mom told me once that Rome was built in a day and that it’s better to just go out every day and improve,” Richardson said. “She was always telling me to slow down, not get in a hurry, and realize that it will come if you keep working. You start stringing together those types of days and you can get something done.”

The right tackle spot has been in flux since the first days of camp, when McIntosh could not pass his conditioning test and Taylor worked with the first team. Once he was on the active roster, McIntosh took most of the snaps with the first team until this week. When the Chiefs returned from Kansas City after pre-season game No. 1 against Houston, Richardson was the starter at right tackle and there he stayed all week. McIntosh worked with the second team at right tackle, while Taylor was working as the backup left tackle.

“I think this is just trying to find the best players or the best fit for us … the guys who give us the best chance to win,” said Haley. “This is an opportunity for a young guy to have a legitimate chance.”

What awaits Richardson in this game against the Vikings is another chance for him to increase the pile of chips in front of him. It’s doubtful a starter at RT will be determined in this game, but he could certainly play his way out of contention with a poor performance.

Right now, he’s with the first team and it’s up to him to stay there.

“I hope we can put some points on the board before we get out of the game,” said Richardson. “I want to not give up any sacks and open some holes for the running game.”

SIGNINGS, INJURIES & MOVEMENT AROUND THE LEAGUE

* BROWNS – signed C-G Pat Murray (Broncos) and LB Robert McCune; released WR Edwards Williams.
* BUCCANEERS – released WR Joel Filani, DB Michael Hawkins and DT Greg Peterson.
* COLTS – re-signed C Tom Pestock.
* 49ERS – released RB Zak Keasey.
* PACKERS – released TE Tory Humphrey and WR Patrick Williams.
* SAINTS – OT Jamaal Brown is sidelined with a groin injury.
* STEELERS – QB Ben Roethlisberger left practice on Thursday with has been reported as an Achilles’ tendon injury. No word on his immediate ability to practice or play.

FROM THE PAGES OF CHIEFS HISTORY
On August 21, 1971, the Chiefs beat the New Orleans Saints 27-7 in a return to Tulane Stadium where they won Super Bowl IV. The Chiefs had touchdown runs by RB Ed Podolak (1-yard), RB Warren McVea (6 yards) and QB Mike Livingston (78 yards.) Livingston score came after handoff to RB Robert Holmes who gained 2 yards and fumbled. Livingston picked up fumble and ran 78 yards for the score. There were 70,459 at Tulane Stadium.

On August 21, 1976, the Chiefs beat the Washington Redskins 23-20 in a pre-season game at Arrowhead Stadium. QB Tony Adams threw two TD passes, an18-yard to WR Larry Brunson and 14 yards to WR Lawrence Williams. K Jan Stenerud had field goals of 28, 36 and 41 yards. RB John Riggins had two TD runs for Washington and 67 yards on 11 carries. QB Billy Kilmer was six of 11 for 78 yards.

SAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY …

Born on August 21, 1945 in Clover, Virginia was Hall of Fame MLB Willie Edward Lanier. He was selected in the second round of the 1967 NFL-AFL Draft out of Morgan State. Lanier played 11 seasons with the Chiefs (1967-77), appearing in 154 regular and post-season games, with 29 interceptions, 18 recovered fumbles and two returns for TDs. He went to eight all-star games or Pro Bowls and was named to the NFL’s 75th Anniversary Team in 1994. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986. Lanier is also a member of the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame and the College Football H all of Fame.

Born on August 21, 1981 in Charlottesville, Virginia was K Nick Novak. He joined the Chiefs for the start of the 2008 season and kicked in six games, hitting six of 10 FG attempts before he was released. Novak also kicked for the Cardinals and Redskins.

Born on August 21, 1985 in Dublin, Georgia was LB Erik Walden. He was claimed on waivers by the Chiefs before the start of the 2008 season, after he was released by Dallas. Walden played nine games with the Chiefs last season, contributing 10 tackles on special teams.

CoMoChief
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
If B-rich can clamp down on the RT spot as a starter........that would be huge for this team. McIntosh is ****in terrible and needs to be cut as soon as we can do it.

BTW whatever happened to our Mexi-tackle?

wild1
08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Favre is 34 years old?

Slainte
08-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Favre is 34 years old?

Favre's carbuncles are older than 34...

MOhillbilly
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Happy birthday Willie Lanier

MMXcalibur
08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Rome WAS built in a day? Well, I'll be damned.....

I'll be paying particular attention to Richardson tonight. I'm hoping he can do a solid enough job to keep him in that starting role going into the Seattle game.

Kylo Ren
08-21-2009, 07:57 AM
BTW whatever happened to our Mexi-tackle? Who?

TEX
08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Favre is 34 years old?

Nope. It's a mistake. He's 39 and will turn 40 in October.

KCUnited
08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
And in this corner, hailing from the deep fried South: Barry 'Box of Hammers' Richardson. Richardson.

Sully
08-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Livingston had a 78-yard TD run?
Don't know much about him, but he mistve had some wheels.

BigVE
08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Richardson showed a couple good flashes last year and a few on this board wondered why we stuck with McIntosh over Barry....maybe it's finally his time. I'm happy he has improved enough to supplant McIntosh (for now).

The Franchise
08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
God I hope he can be the RToTF for this team. That would help immensly. Now we just need Brown to step up into the RG spot and we'll only have to look for a starter at C next year.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-21-2009, 10:07 AM
If B-rich can clamp down on the RT spot as a starter........that would be huge for this team. McIntosh is ****in terrible and needs to be cut as soon as we can do it.

BTW whatever happened to our Mexi-tackle?

IMO: McIntosh wants to be cut. He isn't buying in at all. He is better than he looked last Saturday and he just wants to get cut so he can catch on with another team.

Delano
08-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Who?

Ramiro Pruneda. He was with the club in the 2007 offseason. I can't recall if he made KC's practice squad.

Currently, he is either on the International Practice Squad or the UFL's New York Sentinals.

DBOSHO
08-21-2009, 10:13 AM
dang favres been in the league since he was 15.....IRONMAN!!!

Mr. Krab
08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't understand why everyone insists that Herb Taylor is an OT.

DaneMcCloud
08-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't understand why everyone insists that Herb Taylor is an OT.

Herb Taylor IS an offensive tackle.

He's just not suited to be a right tackle.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I am so stoked for number 67. He had such a good camp too. Very happy for him. I told everyone in week ONE of training camp that he would be my dark horse to win the starting job at RT.

Write that down.

SAUTO
08-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I am so stoked for number 67. He had such a good camp too. Very happy for him. I told everyone in week ONE of training camp that he would be my dark horse to win the starting job at RT.

Write that down.

why the hell do WE have to write it down all the time? you already have

KCUnited
08-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Write that down.
Way to go out on a limb there.

Chief Faithful
08-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I love articles like this one. DV used to talk about wanting his OL in shape, but Haley really stands behind what he preaches.

Good job by Barry of buying into the system and putting in the work. If he can solidify that RT position this team will have solved a big problem area that has existed since Taint left for Chicago.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Way to go out on a limb there.

Oh, you mean how I went out a limb and told CLark Judge from CBS sports that Brodie Croyle would win the 2 behind Cassel on the SECOND day of camp?

Oh you mean how I went out on a limb and told everyone BEFORE training camp that Jackie Battle was arguably the best running back on this team, and that he would make this team at the 2 behind LJ as well?

No? Oh you must be referring to when I told everyone about Corey Mays in the first week of my blog from River Falls?

And when I say write it down, that's because I have been saying it for 3 years now, and you have missed out the entire time. So sorry, and Kudo's to you for being such an "expert"

Look, I have been sharing my observations with my readership. I told everyone about Barry Richardson LAST YEAR, but I also spoke of him in a couple of my first episodes from River Falls. I think we did good things while we there. That includes gaining credentials from top brass in the Chiefs PR department. Go see that darn work. See for yourself. I think we made a little history to be honest with you.

So, your welcome. I go out on a limb multiple times every day for this most amazing team.

KCUnited
08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Oh, you mean how I went out a limb and told CLark Judge from CBS sports that Brodie Croyle would win the 2 behind Cassel on the SECOND day of camp?

Oh you mean how I went out on a limb and told everyone BEFORE training camp that Jackie Battle was arguably the best running back on this team, and that he would make this team at the 2 behind LJ as well?

No? Oh you must be referring to when I told everyone about Corey Mays in the first week of my blog from River Falls?

And when I say write it down, that's because I have been saying it for 3 years now, and you have missed out the entire time. So sorry, and Kudo's to you for being such an "expert"

Look, I have been sharing my observations with my readership. I told everyone about Barry Richardson LAST YEAR, but I also spoke of him in a couple of my first episodes from River Falls. I think we did good things while we there. That includes gaining credentials from top brass in the Chiefs PR department. Go see that darn work. See for yourself. I think we made a little history to be honest with you.

So, your welcome. I go out on a limb multiple times every day for this most amazing team.

No, actually I was just referring to you going way out on a limb by saying Barry Richardson was your dark horse to win the RT job. But if you want to use my post as a vehicle to pat yourself on the back, please be my guest.

Chiefnj2
08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Barry,

Other than Richardson and Mays, who are your other darkhorses that you feel will be able to come in and start and be productive?

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Barry,

Other than Richardson and Mays, who are your other darkhorses that you feel will be able to come in and start and be productive?

Well there are a few. First off, number 87. I have said it before, I still think Cottam can win the job at TE, although I have become a very big fan of Sean Ryan's. I sat in the bar with him last week, and we talked football for about hour I am really fond of him.

Other players right now that have played their way on this team are number 11, WR Rodney Wright. This kid has had a respectable camp. And he has explosive speed. I expect him to start as our punt returner.

I gotta talk about Jackie Battle again. He is my BOY!! Houston State product that I have been following for 3 years now. It blew my mind how Herm barely ever got him on the field. Anyone remember when he put that lineman onhis back last week against Houston? Battle is the real deal.

Also, Vince Redd. I really hope he makes the team. Another Pioli draftee, Vice Redd is 6'9" 265lbs. He is a giant, and he is very athletic. Excellent addition to the LB core.

On defense, Tank Tyler is looking very good, and although it may pain some to read this, YES IN FACT Glenn Dorsey is going to thrive in this new scheme.

Tamba Hali inspired me at training camp. He was the first one there every day, and the last one to leave every night. After we gained credenitals, I noticed that every time Teicher, or Gretz, or ANYONE for that matter would ask him to take questions...He would say the SAME THING every time...

" I AM NOT SPEAKING TO THE MEDIA THIS YEAR "

This guy is bloddy focused. Expect a year like his rookie season, I'm calling 9 sacks for him right now. You can quote me.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
No, actually I was just referring to you going way out on a limb by saying Barry Richardson was your dark horse to win the RT job. But if you want to use my post as a vehicle to pat yourself on the back, please be my guest.

I'm sorry. I have been a little defensive since I got home from camp. My sarcasm detector sometimes cries Wolf!!!

Allow me to pat you on the back and say...

It's great to be a CHIEFS fan brother. The greatest team in all of the land.

Groves
08-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I have become a very big fan of Sean Ryan's. I sat in the bar with him last week, and we talked football for about hour I am really fond of him.

NTTAWWT

wasi
08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
It's great to be a CHIEFS fan brother. The greatest team in all of the land.

I've tried to reserve judgement on the new direction of team but it's getting harder and harder not to express support and excitement. What a difference a year makes.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I've tried to reserve judgement on the new direction of team but it's getting harder and harder not to express support and excitement. What a difference a year makes.

Wasi, dont let alot of this crap we all read around here take the fan out of you. We are the heartbeat behind this organization. It's time for us to stand up and accept this. This tea is nothing without us fans.

This is going to be an amazing year. It really is going to be Win or Lose.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 12:28 PM
NTTAWWT

I'm sorry, I don't understand?

Hammock Parties
08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
If B-Rich is legit he should pass this test easily. Ray Edwards isn't all that.

RippedmyFlesh
08-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Herb Taylor IS an offensive tackle.

He's just not suited to be a right tackle.
I like him as backup LT. To me he could do the job there in a pinch.He's a much better backup LT than most teams could throw out there.

bowener
08-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Damn, I am glad to see you are a humble man. Cant imagine what you must be like when gloating or boasting about how big your penis is, or how much of a fortune you have amassed. But Kudos, stick with whatever it is you are doing.

The Franchise
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Dude....seriously....no one gives a fuck.....and you patting yourself on the back only comes off as annoying. Why don't you go hang out with Athan.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Damn, I am glad to see you are a humble man. Cant imagine what you must be like when gloating or boasting about how big your penis is, or how much of a fortune you have amassed. But Kudos, stick with whatever it is you are doing.

Look man, turn this in to what you want to, but when you done, come back to the real world. Apparently you didn't read further down into the thread. Now, you look like an ass.

And you know what, my trip to River Falls, WI was the greatest trip of my life, and I will enjoy bragging about it for as long as I like. I have been dreaming about going there for the better part of a decade.

And yes, I will be sticking with what I am doing. You obviously haven't seen it. That's sad.

BarrySPAMAID
08-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Dude....seriously....no one gives a ****.....and you patting yourself on the back only comes off as annoying. Why don't you go hang out with Athan.

Umm, Athan has his own problems, and I could care less what he his up too. Again, another instance of someone not knowing how to read things through.

If I come off as annoying to you, put me on ignore. Nothing you ever say matters anyway. So what's the difference?

Dante84
08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Ramiro Pruneda. He was with the club in the 2007 offseason. I can't recall if he made KC's practice squad.

Currently, he is either on the International Practice Squad or the UFL's New York Sentinals.

I think he meant De La Puenta...? He has been on the team more recently than Pruneda, I think. I am probably wrong.

Buehler445
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
It would be OPTIMAL if Richardson could be the answer at RT. OPTIMAL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Krab
08-21-2009, 02:49 PM
It's great to be a CHIEFS fan brother. The greatest team in all of the land. I go out on a limb multiple times every day for this most amazing team.
OMG

Halfcan
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Richardson showed a couple good flashes last year and a few on this board wondered why we stuck with McIntosh over Barry....maybe it's finally his time. I'm happy he has improved enough to supplant McIntosh (for now).

yep great post!

Fish
08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Umm, Athan has his own problems, and I could care less what he his up too. Again, another instance of someone not knowing how to read things through.

If I come off as annoying to you, put me on ignore. Nothing you ever say matters anyway. So what's the difference?

Are you the blogger they were making fun of on 810 the other day? They mentioned there was a very weird blogger at River Falls this year, and were questioning on air how in the world press credentials were granted for such a thing....

They were laughing at the questions you had been asking. And the fact that you were calling Terrence Copper "Terrence Cooper"....

That was you wasn't it?

Hootie
08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
lmao

I went to homeofthechiefs.com...

watched one of the youtube videos...

lmao

lmao

that dude is CREEPY...

hahaha

Hootie
08-21-2009, 04:01 PM
watch volume 13 and listen to him start talking about the site being a 'family' and his darkest hour etc...

CREEEEEEPY

hahaha

Mecca
08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
This Barry dude hurts my brain.

The Franchise
08-21-2009, 04:17 PM
watch volume 13 and listen to him start talking about the site being a 'family' and his darkest hour etc...

CREEEEEEPY

hahaha

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUujxUbdXmY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUujxUbdXmY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Krab
08-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Are you the blogger they were making fun of on 810 the other day?
He sure sounds like him. Who else would be up at Riverfalls for EVERY practice?

Fish
08-21-2009, 04:36 PM
He sure sounds like him. Who else would be up at Riverfalls for EVERY practice?

Thinking about it a little, I'm almost positive this is the guy they were talking about....

Sully
08-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I think he meant De La Puenta...? He has been on the team more recently than Pruneda, I think. I am probably wrong.

nah. Pruneda, last year, was dubbed "Mexitackle."

Micjones
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Favre is 34 years old and Rome was built in a day.
Talk about Freaky Friday...