PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Grade pre-season game #2

petegz28
08-21-2009, 09:22 PM
With the exception of the last series from the 1 yard line, I give the game a solid B. Our starters beat their starters. Casel looked good. The team has progressed. Still need to tighten up the pass coverage and O-line.

The last series was a total fail. 1 yard....guys are trying to make the team and you flop. Makes it easy on the coaches though come cut-down day.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
B

Hootie
08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
F

No Thigpen.

ChiefMojo
08-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Agree... B

I was pleasantly surprised by the game. Do we have holes, you betcha, but I saw some things that I never did last season. Namely pressure on the QB was a big one.

Mecca
08-21-2009, 09:27 PM
B is probably right about there, the OL still looks extremely shaky.

stumppy
A solid B. Our starters still need work but they did a helluva a job against the supposed Super Bowl contenders.

KcMizzou
Solid B sounds about right to me.

stumppy
08-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Agree... B

I was pleasantly surprised by the game. Do we have holes, you betcha, but I saw some things that I never did the last several years. Namely pressure on the QB was a big one.

FYP

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Depth on the Oline, anyway....

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 09:29 PM

A little perspective. unless you think most teams have their way with Minny's defense?

LaChapelle
08-21-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd give it an A+ if there was a Haley cam.

KcMizzou
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
The Vikings have a QB controversy brewing. /jwhit.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
the OL still looks extremely shaky.

that is more favorable than what I would say

aturnis
08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd like to see how the Oline performs there w/ DMac back in(not that I love him, but as I've said 1,000 time before, Barry Richardson SUCKS!) and all of the Vikes starters playing.

Think the Oline needs a BIG overhaul. 3/5 need replaced, and Waters isn't far behind at his age.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Problems with coverage.... Run defense looks better. OLine needs help. A much better showing than the 1st game.

Mecca
08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
A little perspective. unless you think most teams have their way with Minny's defense?

They did have 2 of the 4 starters not playing...no matter what you shouldn't have guys just flying through like that.

Pioli Zombie
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Favre sucks it up so bad he lasts about a months before he gets forced to retire in shame and humiliation? I can see it happen.

Oh, B for the grade.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
They did have 2 of the 4 starters not playing...no matter what you shouldn't have guys just flying through like that.

JA was the only DL starter out.... we moved the ball better than they did... ones against ones.

Huffman83
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
B but only because they lost by one yard.

Lelie surprised me because even though his catches didn't count....he still caught the ball!

The defense is almost too fast and over pursuits the QB or ball carrier. But they'll get it. Mays is surprising me! I really hope that Zach Thomas only comes back as a backup.

They may have lost but there's at least something there!

Mecca
08-21-2009, 09:37 PM
JA was the only DL starter out.... we moved the ball better than they did... ones against ones.

Pat Williams didn't play.....they had Fred Evans in there.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Evans would start for 20 teams in the NFL--including us, at the moment.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Didnt realize Pat wasnt in.... Evans would start for many 4-3 teams. The fact the Chiefs didnt run the ball well tonight, while disappointing.... wasnt unexpected. Fact remains, they moved the ball against a much better defense tonight, than they did last week. Without, a WR threat.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Did some of you watch a different 1st quarter than I did?

Or did you not realize that our starters were in against their 2nd teamers on that first drive of the 2nd quarter?

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Apparently? Which game you watching?

Mecca
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Ha I got busted on for saying something like that in the game thread, I'm trying to be positive.

I mean I said the Chiefs scored their TD on Minnesota's backups and you'd think I raped the pope.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 09:54 PM

Or did you not realize that our starters were in against their 2nd teamers on that first drive of the 2nd quarter?

Depends. Did you see Cassel running for his life and LJ gaining 1 yard on 50 carries?

Chiefnj2
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
1st quarter
Offense - Cassel and the WR's were good, but the OL was horrible. KC is lucky Allen didn't play, or Cassel might not have made it out of the game in one piece. Richardson was much worse than McIntosh, and even Albert did not play well. Niswanger, Goff and RT are going to be a nightmare all season. What the hell was Pioli thinking in the draft not taking more linemen on the 2nd day?

Defense - Incomplete. The Vikings offense sucked because Brett and the team have no coordination yet. They seemed to do a little better against the run and got some pressure on Favre with the blitz. Corey Mays is likely to become my favorite player on the team.

Mike Mayock was obviously handed the "Madden Guide To How To Slobber Over Favre's Cock" handbook because he acted like a little bitch the entire first quarter. The dipshit said "bang" once when Favre threw the ball because he anticipated it was going to be a complete pass instead of bouncing off the turf. Every incompletion was "I don't mind that, that's a veteran incompletion."

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Apparently? Which game you watching?

I watched a 1st quarter where Cassel had pressure in his face or had to run on nearly every pass attempt, and LJ repeatedly get stuffed for no gain - with the Vikings best 2 defensive linemen on the sideline in street clothes.

Our starters moved the ball against Minnesota's 2nd team guys on that first drive of the 2nd quarter.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 09:56 PM
1st quarter
Offense - Cassel and the WR's were good, but the OL was horrible. KC is lucky Allen didn't play, or Cassel might not have made it out of the game in one piece. Richardson was much worse than McIntosh, and even Albert did not play well. Niswanger, Goff and RT are going to be a nightmare all season. What the hell was Pioli thinking in the draft not taking more linemen on the 2nd day?

Defense - Incomplete. The Vikings offense sucked because Brett and the team have no coordination yet. They seemed to do a little better against the run and got some pressure on Favre with the blitz. Corey Mays is likely to become my favorite player on the team.

Mike Mayock was obviously handed the "Madden Guide To How To Slobber Over Favre's Cock" handbook because he acted like a little bitch the entire first quarter. The dipshit said "bang" once when Favre threw the ball because he anticipated it was going to be a complete pass instead of bouncing off the turf. Every incompletion was "I don't mind that, that's a veteran incompletion."

Good post.

Mecca
08-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I watched a 1st quarter where Cassel had pressure in his face or had to run on nearly every pass attempt, and LJ repeatedly get stuffed for no gain - with the Vikings best 2 defensive linemen on the sideline in street clothes.

Our starters moved the ball against Minnesota's 2nd team guys on that first drive of the 2nd quarter.

Um bringing that up in the game thread got you called negative and a douche...I was there.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Ha I got busted on for saying something like that in the game thread, I'm trying to be positive.

I mean I said the Chiefs scored their TD on Minnesota's backups and you'd think I raped the pope.

No, you got raped because you act like the Chiefs played a college defense and not a top 5 defense. You got raped because you like to push buttons. Are some of your observations correct... yes... Was the performance this week better than last week? Do you think Houston has a better defense than Minny?

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Um bringing that up in the game thread got you called negative and a douche...I was there.

Truth hurts, I guess.

I was impressed with Cassel making some things happen, buying some time with his legs, but he has to protect the ball better. He's gonna get hit a lot this year, and fumbles are just as bad as INT's.

Simply Red
quite a bit O good + a few sloppy = a reason to tune in. B-minus-ish I suppose ...

dirk digler
I have already gave Pioli\Haley their 1st strike for pulling a Carl\Herm by ignoring the worst O-Line in football for another season.

The bad part is Albert has played like shit 2 games in a row and he is supposed to be our anchor. Cassel is pretty much fucked

Mecca
No, you got raped because you act like the Chiefs played a college defense and not a top 5 defense. You got raped because you like to push buttons. Are some of your observations correct... yes... Was the performance this week better than last week? Do you think Houston has a better defense than Minny?

I wasn't impressed when they were on the field against the actual top 5 defense.

When the guys that played the rest of the game came in then they moved the ball.

doomy3

That's because you are negative and are a douche.

T-post Tom
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
B+. I know it's only preseason, but a win would have really helped this team and the fans. It's time to eliminate the stench of losing.

QB's -- Cassel and Gutierrez shined. Croyle had some nice throws.

RB's -- Hard to run on that defense but the RBs looked okay excluding the fumbles. Gotta clean that up.

WR's -- Mixed bag. Bowe should be out of the doghouse now. Glad to see him playing with urgency; catching the ball; and blocking down field. Lelie looks like he'll stick and could be really good once he gets into "football shape" & learns the playbook. Toomer has good hands. QL looks like a practice squad player.

TEs -- Average at best.

O-line -- meh. RT is scary. I wish they'd bring Levi Jones in for a look.

D-line -- still not enough pressure on the QB.

LBs -- starters okay. Still struggling in pass coverage.

DBs -- wtf? the safeties blew chunks in pass coverage.

ST -- kicker/punter most excellent. Returners sucked.

DeezNutz
I have already gave Pioli\Haley their 1st strike for pulling a Carl\Herm by ignoring the worst O-Line in football for another season.

The bad part is Albert has played like shit 2 games in a row and he is supposed to be our anchor. Cassel is pretty much ****ed

I kept saying it was stupid to pass on Smith or Monroe...

But some of these douches wouldn't listen.

ArrowheadMagic
I wasn't impressed when they were on the field against the actual top 5 defense.

When the guys that played the rest of the game came in then they moved the ball.

Didnt ask if you were impressed..... you wouldnt be.... Asked if it was better than the 1st game.

Mecca
Well hey sorry I can't get all jazzed up about watching a team that basically has no talent move the ball on another teams backups.

I get that people are trying to be positive but when Minnesota had it's first team defense out there Cassel was running for his life and LJ was being owned.

I'm not going to get all excited that they moved the ball cause Minnesota decided those guys could all go sit down and Bowe got to matchup with the shitty midget.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 10:02 PM
BTW Cassel impressed me tonight so I feel a little better about him

OnTheWarpath15

Uh, the Vikings 2 best defensive players were in street clothes, and they still gave the offense fits.

We happen to play 6 of the top 8 defenses from last year, so that excuse doesn't hold any water.

JuicesFlowing
Pretty amazing that most games are won and lost on the LINES and the Chiefs haven't upgraded the O-line at all. That was just a sad performance. Cassel played really well because he used his feet. Croyle in the last 2 games, despite all of the jokes, looks confident, much better than last season. The receiving corp is awful. I guess tonight was an improvement overall.

Mecca
08-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Uh, the Vikings 2 best defensive players were in street clothes, and they still gave the offense fits.

We happen to play 6 of the top 8 defenses from last year, so that excuse doesn't hold any water.

The Chiefs are playing the Giants this year...does Matt Cassel leave in a bodybag?

That's the question not whether the Chiefs win or lose.

Just Passin' By
08-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Well hey sorry I can't get all jazzed up about watching a team that basically has no talent move the ball on another teams backups.

I get that people are trying to be positive but when Minnesota had it's first team defense out there Cassel was running for his life and LJ was being owned.

I'm not going to get all excited that they moved the ball cause Minnesota decided those guys could all go sit down and Bowe got to matchup with the shitty midget.

People were happy that the team had executed and scored, and you decided to piss all over the moment. Now you feel the need to cry about it, in a completely different thread, because they didn't want to hear it from you.

You really are a weeping vag.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I kept saying it was stupid to pass on Smith or Monroe...

But some of these douches wouldn't listen.

Damn you true fan :)

Seriously this team should have drafted more O-Line this year and also went out and spend some money on top O-Line besides Mike Goff

Mecca
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
People were happy that the team had executed and scored, and you decided to piss all over the moment. Now you feel the need to cry about it, in a completely different thread, because they didn't want to hear it from you.

You really are a weeping vag.

He asked if people watched something different, I was telling him the reaction to basically saying exactly the same thing he said earlier.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
The Chiefs are playing the Giants this year...does Matt Cassel leave in a bodybag?

That's the question not whether the Chiefs win or lose.

It will be interesting to see what this offense is going to look like. Will it resemble what we have seen in pre-season or more like the Cardinals?

Mecca
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Damn you true fan :)

Seriously this team should have drafted more O-Line this year and also went out and spend some money on top O-Line besides Mike Goff

We coulda had Jamon Meredith and Duke Robinson pretty late in the draft...there was some ire for those moves if I remember properly.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Truth hurts, I guess.

I was impressed with Cassel making some things happen, buying some time with his legs, but he has to protect the ball better. He's gonna get hit a lot this year, and fumbles are just as bad as INT's.

Indy didnt do any better last week against them. what exactly is your expectations of a new system on offense, in its 3 quarters of actual play...without a starting WR? Unless you think Copper and Darling are better than Bowe. What have the Chiefs not done in the 1st 2 preseason game outside of improving? Your a 4 win this year guy....... do you now think they win less?

RINGLEADER
08-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Watching now and would agree with this. Cassel was juking a lot more than I would have liked.

The defense was stout for the first quater and a half then kind of went soft. Since NFL Network spoiled the final score I have to assume they suck it in the second half.

Mecca
Indy didnt do any better last week against them. what exactly is your expectations of a new system on offense, in its 3 quarters of actual play...without a starting WR? Unless you think Copper and Darling are better than Bowe. What have the Chiefs not done in the 1st 2 preseason game outside of improving? Your a 4 win this year guy....... do you now think they win less?

The wins thing isn't my concern right now, my concern is if this OL is this bad Matt Cassel is going to regress or get injured or both.

kcchiefsus
1st quarter

Hell, how about on the first day? I'm glad we're on our way to developing the 3-4 defense but a lack of talent on the defensive line is not going to get somebody hurt. A lack of talent on the offensive line is going to get Cassel killed. It's no surprise this offensive line sucks when since 2004 the highest draft picks we have used on the offensive line have been the 1st round pick on Branden Albert and the 5th round pick on Colin Brown. That's it for the first 5 rounds. It's no wonder at all that the offensive line sucks, has very little talent, and very little depth. In that same time period Denver has found 3 starters on the offensive line, all taken in the first 5 rounds, and another possible starter in Kory Lichtensteiger takes over for Casey Wiegmann at some point. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the Chiefs are the team in the AFC West with the fewest picks in the first 5 rounds used on the offensive line and that we probably have the worst offensive line in the division.

Maybe next year this team will pull their heads out of their asses and give the line some help. But for some reason, I doubt it. We'll use our first pick on an inside linebacker or a tight end.

OnTheWarpath15
It will be interesting to see what this offense is going to look like. Will it resemble what we have seen in pre-season or more like the Cardinals?

We won't have to worry about Cassel throwing the deep ball when he's not getting enough time to complete a simple 5 step drop.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Wasnt asking to hold water....... did the offense improve this game over the 1st game...last week... Last years bullshit doesnt hold water...unless your saying teams dont improve year to year. was tonight a better showing than last week? If so.... Does Houston have a better defense than Minnesota?

HermanHater
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Is there any chance Willie Roaf would come back?:D

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Wasnt asking to hold water....... did the offense improve this game over the 1st game...last week... Last years bullshit doesnt hold water...unless your saying teams dont improve year to year. was tonight a better showing than last week? If so.... Does Houston have a better defense than Minnesota?

Starters against starters, I'm not sure how you think tonight was any better than last week.

Last week, Cassel stayed upright, and LJ actually had a few holes to run through.

soundmind
08-21-2009, 10:18 PM
If I were trying to grade the entire effort, I'm giving it a very very positive C+. :bravo:

We most definitely look better than last week, it was a much better showing in that respect, and I continue to be impressed with the defense. I have a feeling we might be watching somethin a little badass defensively come next season, if not some flashes this year.

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/07/30/12/732-AP090604049305.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Where in forever did Corey Mays come from? That guy is playing his arse off this preseason and I'm glad we have him right now. Who knows if he can keep it up, but for our situation right now, I'm loving this guy. His only downside is that he looks like a "tweener" to me....like a huge safety or a small linebacker, but stranger things have happened than someone succeeding from nowhere or being undersized.

Niswanger gets another F. He is a sorry excuse for a blocker and we need a center. Pat Williams and Jared Allen didn't even play on that line tonight and he still got ate up. I'm not offering any solutions, I thought this was a need that was clear as crystal this offseason, but we had so much change it was probably tough to really get anything done.

That and Minnesota is stout on defense, I wasn't expecting a lot - but I was expecting or hoping to see at least few runs that were through actual holes/seams and was of course, ceremoniously denied my dream. And when did we start giving away possessions?

:cuss::cuss:STOP FUMBLING THE GODDAMN BALL!!!!:cuss::cuss:

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Starters against starters, I'm not sure how you think tonight was any better than last week.

Last week, Cassel stayed upright, and LJ actually had a few holes to run through.

what exactly was your expectations for the 2nd preseason game?

soundmind
08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
We won't have to worry about Cassel throwing the deep ball when he's not getting enough time to complete a simple 5 step drop.

This man is correct x infinity.

The OLine should be looking to pack their shit at the end of this year...Albert's man is walled off typically, he's looking good, but the rest are just suspect.

Chiefnj2
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
2nd quarter
Chiefs #1 offense v. Vikings #2 defense. Chiefs get a B. They open holes for LJ's longest run. The OL protects Cassel a bit and he gets his first KC TD. At the 2 minute warning they can't move the ball. They have to run the clock out in that situation. Copper with a drop.

Vikings #1 offense v. Chiefs #1 defense with some subs. Vikings get an A, Chiefs Defense an F. Jackson sucks as a QB, yet KC lets him methodically march down the field. Peterson begins to run well.

Rest of the game - who cares.

I give KC an overall grade of C-.

DeezNutz
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Our starting o-line was so fucking terrible, that they pretty much overshadowed everything else in the first quarter or so.

The lone exception being Cassel. Kid did a really nice job under the circumstances.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
what exactly was your expectations for the 2nd preseason game?

How about to fucking block somebody?

I could give two shits about wins and losses in the pre-season.

I'm watching 1's versus 1's, and individual matchups.

We weren't winning individual matchups, and some of those were our starters against their 2nd team guys.

aturnis
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
We'll use our first pick on an inside linebacker or a tight end.

Inside backer? How about a rush backer or a NT? I doubt our highest pick is an ILB. Mays is really playing very well, and DJ is good enough for now.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
2nd quarter
Chiefs #1 offense v. Vikings #2 defense. Chiefs get an A. They open holes for LJ's longest run. The OL protects Cassel a bit and he gets his first KC TD.

Vikings #1 offense v. Chiefs #1 defense with some subs. Vikings get an A, Chiefs Defense an F. Jackson sucks as a QB, yet KC lets him methodically march down the field. Peterson begins to run well.

Rest of the game - who cares.

I give KC an overall grade of C-.

Another good post.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Our starting o-line was so fucking terrible, that they pretty much overshadowed everything else in the first quarter or so.

The lone exception being Cassel. Kid did a really nice job under the circumstances.

Agreed.

DeezNutz
08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Given the fact that we just drafted a 34 DE with the #3 overall pick, I'd have to say that a TE is a distinct possibility.

ILB could be selected, no question.

kcchiefsus
08-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Inside backer? How about a rush backer or a NT? I doubt our highest pick is an ILB. Mays is really playing very well, and DJ is good enough for now.

I was being sarcastic. My point was that until proven otherwise I have no faith in this team having any interest in fixing this offensive line. We simply refuse to draft offensive linemen. We draft one from time to time in the 6th or 7th round but NONE of them have worked out. Other teams have success stories of late round draft picks on the offensive line but outside of UDFA Brian Waters we have had zero success with this. It's time to use some high picks on the line. They say you don't have to use a high pick to find a good right tackle or guard but IMO we're going to have to if we want this offensive line to improve anytime soon. And we all know this team won't sign a free agent worth a damn so help on the line is going to have to come through the draft.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 10:33 PM
How about to ****ing block somebody?

I could give two shits about wins and losses in the pre-season.

I'm watching 1's versus 1's, and individual matchups.

We weren't winning individual matchups, and some of those were our starters against their 2nd team guys.

But the matchups against the 2nd's was when we scored the TD to go up by 10. Middle of the line is an issues. It was Waters going against Pat's backup. For a basis. This is a 5 or 6 win team. I would like you to answer a simple question.... know it might be tough..... was tonight an improvement over last week? again.... what are your expectations? beyond ****ing blocking.... pretty much a given..... its what gochiefs would say.... I will assume you're better than that.

kcfanXIII
08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
The Vikings have a QB controversy brewing. /jwhit.

favre signing spawned by racism/Fatlock

mikey23545
08-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Surely you don't think people regard you as a douche because of just one post, right?

chiefbowe82
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
C+
we have the worst line in football, we don't know our roles in the 3-4, we can't stop the run, playaction will eat us up all season, our fb sucks.

just a few things i found out, the rest looked alright though

Mr. Arrowhead
08-21-2009, 11:43 PM
B-, running game sucked, o line was worse, but D bowe and Cassel looked great and i felt our 1st team defense got alot of pressure.

DaWolf
08-21-2009, 11:46 PM
B. We hung around with a team that is supposed to win it all and has superior depth to us. That said, the OL is going to get Cassel killed.

We're obviously a better team than we were last year, but Pioli is going to have a lot of work on his hands next offseason...

Mr. Arrowhead
08-21-2009, 11:51 PM
One thing i have noticed about this team so far is the special teams are 100000X times better, although it helps when our Kicker kicks the ball in the end zone every time.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 11:53 PM
B. We hung around with a team that is supposed to win it all and has superior depth to us. That said, the OL is going to get Cassel killed.

We're obviously a better team than we were last year, but Pioli is going to have a lot of work on his hands next offseason...

Our 1's beat their 3rds.. give OTW58 a little time... it might of been their 4ths. IMO... the offense was better than it was last week. Run defense looked really good against AP.... who might be their 2nd...... it was an improvement over last week.

UsualSuspects
08-21-2009, 11:55 PM
F

No Thigpen.

No more Thiggy. A-

dj56dt58
08-21-2009, 11:57 PM
the last call was fucking stupid

chiefbowe82
08-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Our 1's beat their 3rds.. give OTW58 a little time... it might of been their 4ths. IMO... the offense was better than it was last week. Run defense looked really good against AP.... who might be their 2nd...... it was an improvement over last week.

Perhaps you missed the drive where they handed it to AP like 6 straight times, and he picked up like 6-8 yards each run. Then all it was was play action and BOOM nice gain.

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 12:01 AM
My thoughts:

Cassel played well, but has to have nightmares about blitzes every night. He had a couple bad throws, especially the one that the LB biffed. He was watching the guy the whole time. But overall solid performance.

Oline is ass. Jesus. I don't want to see disguised blitzes come crashing through the line.

D played pretty well the first few series and then went to shit. What happened to our secondary? They couldn't stop anybody. Who was supposed to be covering the TE on Jackson's first TD? I think DJ was back there, but looked lost. Pass coverage from LBs was NOT good.

Mays looked solid again. And fast.

Overall, the whole team looks much faster. Still pretty undisciplined (FUCK YOU HERM).

I didn't get a chance to watch Richardson as much as I wanted to, but other than opening a hole for LJ, didn't look too good.

Bowe looked good. All around. Dude's a stud.

Lawrence(IIRC) looked fast as hell on that reverse. Good playcall, good execution. I can't remember how he looked in the return game.

Hali made a good play downfield on a screen after someone fucked up. I liked that. Made a good hit on the douche formerly known as Favre. But couldn't get any separation on his pass rush moves. Maybe he's trying to over-juke. Still needs a lot of work.

LJ missed a couple cutbacks, IMO. Looks like he's running a little harder.

Savage looked sharper, but I think he is the odd man out as Jackie Battle looked good again. He better make the team.

STOP FUMBLING THE GODDAMN FOOTBALL. Seriously. Not kidding guys. For real.

Vrabel looks old and slow...and frustrated.

Succop looks hella good. Colquit is the man (can he play RT? Just askin...)

I think there was progress, but overall, scary scary shit going down here.

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Shit-damn. Sorry that was so random.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Lawrence was the one that ran that reverse

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Lawrence was the one that ran that reverse

Fixed. Thanks. I drove 12 fucking hours today. My mind is like...I can't even think of anything. That's how screwed up it is.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:08 AM
D+

The Chiefs offense couldn't do much against the Vikings defense that was minus Williams & Allen. Niswanger looked like a girl among men out there. Richardson's not ready to start and with the exception of LJ's run when FcIntosh replaced him, FcIntosh sucked. Goff wasn't any thing special.

The defense when facing a QB that wasn't 39 year old and hadn't touched a football in nearly 9 months was pathetic. They got run on all over the field, even without A.P. The pass rush was weak, there was no push up the middle and with the exception of Hali's effort early, they rarely got close to the passer. The Vikings TE tore up the middle of the Chiefs defense (which will continue all season long) and they didn't have a 2nd string kicker, they score would have been 20-13.

Special teams returns continue to be weak. Battle needs to learn how to hold onto the ball because guys will be trying to strip him all season long. Herb Taylor needs to learn his assignments and not get pushed to the ground by his teammates.

In all honesty, it was exactly as I expected. Keystone Cops.

Castle better buckle up because it's going to be a long, bumpy ride.

WilliamTheIrish
08-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Grade?

Kicker looked like he was capable.

the Talking Can
08-22-2009, 07:27 AM
there is some painful stupid in chiefs fans.....jesus

did someone really say that we didn't move the ball in the first quarter?

jwazzie
08-22-2009, 07:29 AM
The first game was a D for me. This game was a C+ with alot of positives. I think next Saturday will really show where we are as a team.

Chan93lx50
08-22-2009, 07:35 AM
LJ missed a couple cutbacks, IMO. Looks like he's running a little harder.

Why does LJ insist on trying to run through holes that are not there. He knows on paper where the hole is supposed to be and runs there. How about making the cutback and going around the pile of defenders and you may be able to get a few yards extra.......

KCUnited
08-22-2009, 07:38 AM
I thought the execution between QB and WR's improved, everybody seemed to get in the mix. I think Cassel improvised well under pressure. Niswanger is a liability. McIntosh is still a better option than Box of Hammers Richardson, but not by much. Defense looked confused in coverage and it was obvious if we didn't blitz we were screwed. Belcher on special teams stood out, but we need a return man. Overall C.

Marcellus
08-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Surely you don't think people regard you as a douche because of just one post, right?

That's because you are negative and are a douche.

ROFL

Perception is reality.

Marcellus
08-22-2009, 07:46 AM
D+

The Chiefs offense couldn't do much against the Vikings defense that was minus Williams & Allen. Niswanger looked like a girl among men out there. Richardson's not ready to start and with the exception of LJ's run when FcIntosh replaced him, FcIntosh sucked. Goff wasn't any thing special.

The defense when facing a QB that wasn't 39 year old and hadn't touched a football in nearly 9 months was pathetic. They got run on all over the field, even without A.P. The pass rush was weak, there was no push up the middle and with the exception of Hali's effort early, they rarely got close to the passer. The Vikings TE tore up the middle of the Chiefs defense (which will continue all season long) and they didn't have a 2nd string kicker, they score would have been 20-13.

Special teams returns continue to be weak. Battle needs to learn how to hold onto the ball because guys will be trying to strip him all season long. Herb Taylor needs to learn his assignments and not get pushed to the ground by his teammates.

In all honesty, it was exactly as I expected. Keystone Cops.

Castle better buckle up because it's going to be a long, bumpy ride.

:shake: The OL looked rough, defense had 1 bad series. It was the second preseason game of basically an entirely new team, staff etc.... D+?

Hammock Parties
08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Dane is one of those guys who pours hot wax on his nipples.

the Talking Can
08-22-2009, 07:56 AM
we were improved from last week

Cassel moved the ball and scored against the vikes first team and second team, and did it with a shit OL and shitty RBs...which should tell you a lot about his composure

defense had a great stop on 4th and 1 and a nice free shot on farve, mays continues to show some promise

i'd give it a B...the only point is to improve, however small the improvement may be....the OL looked worse but Cassel looked a whole lot better

we already knew the holes on this team, OL and WR particularly suck ass

I hope bradley or lelie can show something in the next game, copper and the rest make me cry...and cut LJ, he is a worthless pussy

BYRK75
08-22-2009, 08:06 AM
B... but our starting WR's should be Bowe, Bradley and Toomer. LJ gets D- look slow shouldn't be the starter.

Chief Faithful
08-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Compared to last year the team looks quicker, more disciplined with assignments and significantly fewer mental mistakes (playing smarter). The offensive line is much better at pass blocking and the defensive line looks promising. The secondary is still the strength of the team.

As far as individuals I like Richardson better than McIntosh in pass blocking while McIntosh still the edge at road grading. Considering it was Richardson's first start and McIntosh is a seasoned veteran I saw enough to say it should be Richardson's job. Richardson really looked better than I expected and much improved over last week.

I like Cassel and I was impressed with Gutierrez. In my mind there is no reason to keep Thigpen on the team any longer.

The receivers are improving and are already much improved over last season. Darling is starting to look like an NFL receiver, but not a starter. And Lelie looks like he can be a big asset deep and down by the goal line. Bowe is the class of this group and should be starting. Because of the vast improvement over last year and the amount of attention Haley gives this group I suspect they will be the strength of the team in 2 or 3 years. They really need more in the way of speed down field, although Bowe and Lelie are able to battle deep. Toomer and Bailey did a good job over the middle last night. This team does much better at catching the ball.

The TE's look like they can all block, but I don't see them as a significant threat in the passing game.

Succup is special. He puts the ball in the end zone with good hang time on kick-offs. He is down the middle anything inside the 50 and has range out to 60. Special teams could be special good instead of special retart this year.

I like Jacking Battle and would like to see him get significant minutes this season. LJ is still the best RB on the team.

The secondary looked good with the exception of Morgan who sucks. Time to cut him loose. The Linebackers look serviceable and Hali looks very promising. Turk still looks more like a DE than OLB. The DL looks very promising and Jackson looks like the real deal. I really like the new scheme in many ways.

Overall I see a team headed in the right direction. Tackling, penetration, and conditioning are much better, pass blocking improved, and receivers are doing much better at route running and catching the ball. The QB position is going from the teams biggest weakness to one of strength. The special teams are going to be an asset this year instead of team weakness. Even though they have a long way to go I was basically pleased with what I witnessed last night. With the conditioning and new schemes I don't think this team will be so easy to beat late in games.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

did you miss the fact that our offense was moving the ball right up to the point charles fell down untouched and fumbled? so yeah our starters moved the bal against their 1st team, well except williams and allen

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 08:38 AM
tTC brings up a good point. That stop on 4th and 1 was impressive. Certainly reason for optimism.

My concern with Cassel and his being forced to scramble is that if every team can obliterate our pocket like MN did, then defensive coordinators will be able to seal that up pretty quickly. We MUST provide better protection.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 08:47 AM
there is some painful stupid in chiefs fans.....jesus

did someone really say that we didn't move the ball in the first quarter?

yep thats what he said. he must HAVE been watching a different game

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 08:48 AM
we were improved from last week

Cassel moved the ball and scored against the vikes first team and second team, and did it with a shit OL and shitty RBs...which should tell you a lot about his composure

defense had a great stop on 4th and 1 and a nice free shot on farve, mays continues to show some promise

i'd give it a B...the only point is to improve, however small the improvement may be....the OL looked worse but Cassel looked a whole lot better

we already knew the holes on this team, OL and WR particularly suck ass

I hope bradley or lelie can show something in the next game, copper and the rest make me cry...and cut LJ, he is a worthless pussy
agreed

WilliamTheIrish
08-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Mecca's crying in this thread about how hurtful people were to him in the game thread gets a B. I've watched a lot of film on this guy and he gets beat easily one time, then just lays down and whines. He has the talent to compete in Madden, but in real life.. kind of a quitter.

With good coaching and some sympathy and maybe some extra work after grammar practice, he'll be a cornerstone left crybaby for Chiefsplanet for years.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Tavaris Jackson went 12/15 for 200+ yards and 2 TDs and people think the defense played well? He did some of that against starters. He's one of the worst starting QB's in the entire league.

KCUnited
08-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Tavaris Jackson went 12/15 for 200+ yards and 2 TDs and people think the defense played well? He did some of that against starters. He's one of the worst starting QB's in the entire league.
Don't forget the 4.4 Peterson averaged.

tonyetony
08-22-2009, 08:54 AM
OL- F
RB- D Hold on to the ball damn it
QB- B
WR- C Copper- F
DL- C
LB- C
DB- C
P/K- A
ST- C

Mr. Arrowhead
08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
boy, Maylock was sure wrong about Morgan, that guy just plain sucks

Mr. Arrowhead
08-22-2009, 08:57 AM

big chuck of that was against our 3 stringers, i know at least 64 yards of it was, as we had our dumb shit safeties at there morgan and mcgraw.

Micjones
08-22-2009, 08:57 AM
B-.

Pretty porous pass protection and trouble mounting a consistent rushing attack.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2009, 09:00 AM
big chuck of that was against our 3 stringers, i know at least 64 yards of it was, as we had our dumb shit safeties at there morgan and mcgraw.

He still had a very long sustained drive against starters with a few subs in the 2nd quarter.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2009, 09:01 AM
The OL was just as bad as anything Herm put on the field.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
I was at the game last night. Lot's of purple #4 jerseys (a couple green ones too) it was a bit ridiculous. Also saw more than enough purple #69 jerseys...I began to feel a bit sick in the stomach. :shake:

Got some shit from fans, but alot of fans insinuated that the Chiefs weren't much of a threat to them. Fuqers. Once I got to my seet surrounded by purple I began to get a little more respect. That 4th and 1 stuff really shut up a lot of mouths around me.

For a grade...I'd say a B-

Cassel and our WR's were the bright spot of our O. Cassel had to scramble more than I wanted to see. Our O-line was horrible. LJ is so SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. It was kind of embarrassing how their #2 back(Chester Taylor) is much better than our #1 back .

Our defense begins to improve. We were very fast getting to the ball. The long ball from Tavaris Jackson to Darius Reynaud was like finding a flat tire on a new car.

I watched a lot of Haley on the sideline. He was very active. Getting in the face of players after a busted play, and praising others on doing their jobs.

Overall, this was the first time watching the 'new' Chiefs in person. Watching this team in person is MUCH different than watching Herm's teams...in a good way. This team is fast. They look hungry. They hit hard. They look like they care.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 09:17 AM
boy, Maylock was sure wrong about Morgan, that guy just plain sucks

DIDNT mecca love the guy too?

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I was at the game last night. Lot's of purple #4 jerseys (a couple green ones too) it was a bit ridiculous. Also saw more than enough purple #69 jerseys...I began to feel a bit sick in the stomach. :shake:

Got some shit from fans, but alot of fans insinuated that the Chiefs weren't much of a threat to them. Fuqers. Once I got to my seet surrounded by purple I began to get a little more respect. That 4th and 1 stuff really shut up a lot of mouths around me.

For a grade...I'd say a B-

Cassel and our WR's were the bright spot of our O. Cassel had to scramble more than I wanted to see. Our O-line was horrible. LJ is so SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. It was kind of embarrassing how their #2 back(Chester Taylor) is much better than our #1 back .

Our defense begins to improve. We were very fast getting to the ball. The long ball from Tavaris Jackson to Darius Reynaud was like finding a flat tire on a new car.

I watched a lot of Haley on the sideline. He was very active. Getting in the face of players after a busted play, and praising others on doing their jobs.

Overall, this was the first time watching the 'new' Chiefs in person. Watching this team in person is MUCH different than watching Herm's teams...in a good way. This team is fast. They look hungry. They hit hard. They look like they care.

This was definitely something I wanted to see. And am glad to see it.

Your experience with the purple fans was probably more enjoyable than the abortion of a broadcast I watched. They seriously skipped out on some action to show Favre talking with JA.

Thanks for the report.

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
D played pretty well the first few series and then went to shit. What happened to our secondary? They couldn't stop anybody. Who was supposed to be covering the TE on Jackson's first TD? I think DJ was back there, but looked lost. Pass coverage from LBs was NOT good.

DJ owned up to this.

RNR
08-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I only watched part of it early and part of it late. The late part looked like any preaseason game. The early part Cassel looked better than I had hoped :shake: and overall the Chiefs seemed to be giving better than they got. I really dont give two shits in a bucket about preseason games less the first half of the third game (less the teams that play the HOF game) it is the dress rehearsal. The rest of the games are nothing more than checking schemes and personnel. All is vanilla based and gives little insight to how a team will perform in the regular season.

KCDC
08-22-2009, 10:25 AM
This site has a majority of "glass half empty" guys, but I understand the 30+ years of frustration.

Still, I was pleasantly surprised by our first team (other than the OL and the running game). The first team defense did well, even though in transition and little standout talent.

I join in lamenting the lack of an OL. I was one of the few in Draft Planet urging us to take Monroe, rather than T-Jackson in the first round. With bookend stud tackles, our offense and running game would have looked much better. Charles would not have needed to have fumbled out of fear that he should have been hammered one second after getting the ball.

So, I'm going to cringe and hope that Cassel is not destroyed. Richardson is a nightmare. I have to think that Pioli will be watching the waiver wire on OL most closely. Before, I think he was looking for half decent WRs being cut; but, now, it is clear that he needs to bring in a RT to work out. Maybe he can engineer a trade for a decent one. I have to hope that Pioli has made this Job #1.

mlyonsd
08-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm optimistic in that I think the ship is starting to turn. Of course it's early but Haley seems to me to be a good coach.

That being said it will take time. I think by Haley's third year we might really have something.

For this year, everyone should check their expectations at the door and just look for the positive baby steps.

DrRyan
08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
B- seems about right for a pre-season game 2 grade. Cassel looked pretty damn good while running for his life. Even a handful of snaps under center, which were nice to see. I really hope he can make it through this season playing behind this O line. They have to be hands down the worst collective O line I have seen for the Chiefs in a very long time, maybe ever.

I only watch a short bit into the second half on the NFLN re-broadcast. I could no longer take Mayock and the broadcast. Early in the game the D looked dramatically better than last week against the Texans. Several no gains and at least one tackle of AP behind the line of scrimmage was great to see.

The WRs hung on to the ball much better this week than last which was a pleasant surprise. Mike Cox at FB is just continual no gains or loss of yards waiting to happen in the running game. Multiple times I watched him completely whiff on blocks and the RB get blown up.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Chiefs are headed in the right direction with Pioli and Haley compared to the Peterson/Herm/Dick eras. We will not be a good team this year, but addressing the O line, LB, WR and Safety(if Eric Berry is there and draft position warrants it) through FA and the draft next season we can be competing to win the division again very soon.

Here's to winning at least 5 this year.:arrow:

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
:shake: The OL looked rough, defense had 1 bad series. It was the second preseason game of basically an entirely new team, staff etc.... D+?

Fuck you.

The topic is to "Grade the Chiefs Performance".

Not justify why they sucked ass.

Pablo
08-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Offensive Line gets a Z. They were that bad.

At RT, you have your choice between a young sack of shit, and an old sack of shit.

TEX
08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm optimistic in that I think the ship is starting to turn. Of course it's early but Haley seems to me to be a good coach.

That being said it will take time. I think by Haley's third year we might really have something.

For this year, everyone should check their expectations at the door and just look for the positive baby steps.

Yep. Very frustraiting since we just sat through the ****ing "Herm Era" which was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME. I laughed when people said that we would be competing in 3 years. I couldn't believe those fools. Anyone with common sense could see that the team was heading in the wrong direction, so now we have to wait longer...:shake:

Having said that. I'd give the team a "C" for the game. Would have been higher except for the suck ass OL play.

Saccopoo
08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
What worried me most was the return game. Having Charles fielding punts and kickoffs in the fourth quarter of the second preseason game isn't a good sign.

However, Succop looked really solid.