PDA

View Full Version : Misc Get paid to watch college football

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Did anyone else see that add on jobs for Craigslist? I e-mailed them and got an e-mail back. It looks like an actual company and they pay you to "tag" college football games whatever that means. The Kc Star even wrote an article about this company. It's called AthletixNation. Has anyone ever heard of it?

CosmicPal
08-21-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure what they mean by "tag" but they are a social media platform. Usually this means, they want you to watch the games and report back via blog, twitter, facebook, or some other social media outlet.

ArrowheadMagic
08-21-2009, 10:44 PM
pay their fee and tell us how it is.... BTW do you have any real experience watching CFB?

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Theres no fee or atleast they didn't mention one. The orientation is tommorow and they said they pay 7.25 an hour.

CosmicPal
08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
The bottom line is, you could actually do it yourself. Contact your own alma mater and tell them you'd like to expand their presence on the web via your own social media platforms. If they accept, they'll pay you to create a Facebook account, Twitter account, and quite possibly a blog. It's what "social media companies" are doing these days: contacting XYZ company and saying you'll expand their market base via social media.

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Heres the e-mail

Thank you for contacting me about our tagging job available. We will be having training this Saturday the 22nd at 9am,10am, and 11am. We will provide an overview of AthletixNation and also what your tagging duties will encompass. Tagging will simply involve watching a football game and stopping and starting a recording after each play. You will also enter in the quality of the play on a spreadsheet for our editors to use later. After the demonstration we will begin setting schedules for work so please come prepared with your availability! If you are interested in tagging but cannot be there the 22nd please let me know and we will try to set up another meeting time. We will also be able to answer any questions you may have at the meeting.

What: Tagger Training
When: XXXXXXX on Saturday, August 22nd (please be there ontime)
Where: XXXXXXX

Availability: Be sure to bring your availability this Saturday so that I can have a better idea of when to schedule you for games. The games are played in blocks that tend to go from 11-3, 3-6, 6-9, and 9-midnight. This should allow us to have lots of flexibility with your schedules depending on if your a night owl or an early bird. In addition you can work one game, or all day. So don't feel that your work hours will be limited. There are also a good number of games played on Thursday nights as well.

Compensation: Compensation for the tagging job will be at 7.25 an hour. Note that most games run for about 3 hours so you are looking at making $22 for watching a football game.

Weekend Meeting: Due to the large number of people who will be coming in for training, I would like to split up into three groups.
1st session: XXXXXX
2nd session: XXXXX
3rd session: XXXXXX

Please send me an email response with your name and the session you would like to attend. As well as all of your contact information. Thanks!

Lance Windholz
1st, 2nd, and 3rd session

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 10:50 PM
The bottom line is, you could actually do it yourself. Contact your own alma mater and tell them you'd like to expand their presence on the web via your own social media platforms. If they accept, they'll pay you to create a Facebook account, Twitter account, and quite possibly a blog. It's what "social media companies" are doing these days: contacting XYZ company and saying you'll expand their market base via social media.

Hmm I don't see how the schools benefit from paying something thats pretty lazy work. So you think it's legit?

CosmicPal
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Hmm I don't see how the schools benefit from paying something thats pretty lazy work. So you think it's legit?

I don't think universities would do it either, but you never know. If you could convince a university your work would boost enrollment then they might pay you, but I very much doubt it. They'd just have their own students do it.

But, there's a zillion small/medium sized companies out there that could benefit from social media marketing.

I'm working with a small company right now- sent them a proposal a couple of weeks ago. If they offer a contract, it will be upwards to $80,000/year. Not bad for taking my time to expand their network via social media outlets.

JuicesFlowing
08-21-2009, 10:56 PM
If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Follow that rule, and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't think universities would do it either, but you never know. If you could convince a university your work would boost enrollment then they might pay you, but I very much doubt it. They'd just have their own students do it.

But, there's a zillion small/medium sized companies out there that could benefit from social media marketing.

I'm working with a small company right now- sent them a proposal a couple of weeks ago. If they offer a contract, it will be upwards to $80,000/year. Not bad for taking my time to expand their network via social media outlets.

Really? It doesn't sound like hard work. Sure 7.25 is min. wage but you get paid to watch football! Thats better then flipping burgers.

CosmicPal
08-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Really? It doesn't sound like hard work. Sure 7.25 is min. wage but you get paid to watch football! Thats better then flipping burgers.

How would they know how many hours you put in when you're working from home? Are they paying you for the three hours of the game and that's it? 'Cause from the sound of it, they want you to stop/rewind/record every play or something. And then put it into a spreadsheet and send it to their editors.

That sounds like more than 3 hours of work to me. It'd take you a week just to do a weekend's worth of games if you're having to do all that. So, are they paying for all of that time you're "tagging" or just the three hours of game-time? That'd be the first thing I'd ask them at their meeting.

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
How would they know how many hours you put in when you're working from home? Are they paying you for the three hours of the game and that's it? 'Cause from the sound of it, they want you to stop/rewind/record every play or something. And then put it into a spreadsheet and send it to their editors.

That sounds like more than 3 hours of work to me. It'd take you a week just to do a weekend's worth of games if you're having to do all that. So, are they paying for all of that time you're "tagging" or just the three hours of game-time? That'd be the first thing I'd ask them at their meeting.

It sounds like they pay for for the 3 hrs of the game. So really couldn't you just copy & past the play by play into a spread sheet? seems easy.

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Heres the article th KC Star wrote about the company http://www.athletixnation.com/articles/233

CosmicPal
08-21-2009, 11:08 PM
It sounds like they pay for for the 3 hrs of the game. So really couldn't you just copy & past the play by play into a spread sheet? seems easy.

And that's what I'm thinking. Hey, it doesn't hurt to go to the meeting and check it out. Ask them a lot of questions. If they offer you a position as an "employee" then it might be worth your time. If they say "sign this contract" then I'd get my things and walk out of there.

As a poster said earlier, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Titty Meat
08-21-2009, 11:11 PM
And that's what I'm thinking. Hey, it doesn't hurt to go to the meeting and check it out. Ask them a lot of questions. If they offer you a position as an "employee" then it might be worth your time. If they say "sign this contract" then I'd get my things and walk out of there.

As a poster said earlier, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Say I don't sign a contract but I do the work am I guarnteed that 7.25 an hr or can they just say we never agreed to pay anyone? I'm not sure how things like these work.

CosmicPal
08-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Say I don't sign a contract but I do the work am I guarnteed that 7.25 an hr or can they just say we never agreed to pay anyone? I'm not sure how things like these work.

I honestly couldn't tell you either way. The Planet has some remarkable business owners on here and they could better help you out on that.

I did read the article. (I didn't know they had an incubator in Johnson County! That's great.) They sound like they have something going there. They're a very young company and if they can become the official source for a whole lot of colleges, then they very well be raking in the dough. If that's the case, you could be in on the groundfloor of an upcoming company. Give them your best.

Again, I'd go to the meeting. Record it if you can. Take someone with you, if you can. Anything to gain all the information you can.

teedubya
08-22-2009, 12:44 AM
I know Davyeon, personally. He is a great guy. I will tell him that you, however, are a douche. :-)

But yeah, AXN is badass... especially during college basketball season.