PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock:Shoddy offensive line will hold Chiefs back

Tribal Warfare
08-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Shoddy offensive line will hold Chiefs back (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1398232.html)
JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

MINNEAPOLIS | There’s no such thing as an offensive-line controversy. Either you have a good one or you don’t. There’s no one standing on the sideline who can fix a broken line.

Short of Willie Roaf and Will Shields pulling a Brett Favre, it appears the Chiefs will go the entire 2009 season with a below-average line opening holes for Larry Johnson and protecting Matt Cassel.

Friday night inside the Metrodome, the Vikings’ defensive front toyed with Kansas City’s line during a 17-13 Minnesota exhibition victory. What’s really frightening about that fact is Minnesota didn’t play its two best defensive linemen, Pro Bowlers Jared Allen and Pat Williams.

The Vikings sacked and harassed The Sixty Million Dollar Man throughout the first half. To Cassel’s credit, he absorbed the beating and managed to put 10 points on the board, throwing a touchdown pass to Dwayne Bowe and completing nine of 14 passes for 99 yards.

For a week, the Kansas City QB controversy is over. The Sixty Million Dollar Man earned his paycheck Friday night. The problem is we may never learn this season whether Cassel is any good.

The line isn’t good enough to allow time for a proper evaluation.

A good offense stretches a defense and makes a defensive coordinator defend the entire field. This is where the Chiefs are going to struggle. For a variety of reasons, the Chiefs can’t stretch a defense. There’s a small, definable box a defense will have to patrol when facing the Chiefs.

The deep ball is not Cassel’s strong suit. He couldn’t throw deep to Randy Moss, arguably the best long-ball receiver in NFL history, in New England. In two exhibition games, Todd Haley has not asked Cassel to thrown downfield. He’s thrown mostly short and intermediate routes.

Friday night, Haley probably didn’t dial up the long ball simply because he knew the line couldn’t keep Cassel dry long enough for Kansas City receivers to get more than 20 yards downfield.

Oh, and let’s not forget that the Chiefs don’t have a deep-threat receiver. Bowe is a slasher. Devard Darling is a special-teams player on a legit team.

You can stretch a defense with the run, too, as long as you have a back quick enough and sturdy enough to get to the corner, plant his cleat and turn up field.

That’s not Larry Johnson’s job. He’s a between-the-tackles runner. Jamaal Charles is supposed to attack the edges. Charles fell down for no reason Friday and fumbled the ball on KC’s first possession. He finished the night with three carries for 9 yards.

Bottom line: The opposition is going to walk its safeties up, jam the receivers and treat Cassel like a boxing heavy bag and Johnson like a speed bag.

The only thing that would change any of this would be spectacular improvement in the offensive line. I don’t see it.

Last week, I was unimpressed by free-agent pickup Mike Goff, the right guard. The Texans pushed him around. This week, the Chiefs tried a new right tackle, Barry Richardson. It didn’t go well.

A week after featuring running plays to the left, the Chiefs’ first-team offense ran almost exclusively to its right against the Vikings. I’m sure it was some sort of test for Richardson. He flunked.

He was not alone. At different times, every member of KC’s line looked awful. Center Rudy Niswinger spent considerable time in the backfield. He was joined by Brian Waters. A defensive back slipped past Branden Albert for a sack.

There was only one performance worse than Kansas City’s line Friday night: Brett Favre.

His Minnesota debut was a joke. He completed one of four passes. Minnesota coach Brad Childress was a fool for playing Favre after just three days of practice. Favre looked like a 39-year-old quarterback who spent the offseason and training camp fishing in Mississippi.

There was no reason to rush Favre into the lineup. He doesn’t need preseason games to get ready. Favre smells like a publicity stunt. The Vikings have been campaigning for a new stadium for the last two or three years.

The Metrodome is 27 years old, the seventh-oldest major-league baseball stadium and the 10th-oldest NFL stadium. It’s outdated. It’s time for it to go. Maybe Favre will create enough excitement to get Minneapolis a new downtown dome.

UsualSuspects
08-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Nice cover whitless, it was MC last week.

Now it is an OL that has sucked for 3 + years and maybe not MC.

Meet the deadlines!

Rausch
08-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Nice cover whitless, it was MC last week.

Now it is an OL that has sucked for 3 + years and maybe not MC.

Meet the deadlines!

I completely agree with Whit.

I thought it was fucking stupid to go out and get your boy and do next to nothing to give him the tools for success (no FA/Drafted WR's of note, no FA/Drafted OL of note, trading Gonzo, etc.)

It's like sending a special ops guy out into the field with a slingshot and a sundial...

salame
08-22-2009, 02:33 AM
thanks for the article captain obvious

chiefs1111
08-22-2009, 02:45 AM
gee tell us something we dont know

UsualSuspects
08-22-2009, 02:48 AM
I completely agree with Whit.

I thought it was ****ing stupid to go out and get your boy and do next to nothing to give him the tools for success (no FA/Drafted WR's of note, no FA/Drafted OL of note, trading Gonzo, etc.)

It's like sending a special ops guy out into the field with a slingshot and a sundial...

Last week toooooo?

Or move the goal post each week?

I agree this week because same input equals same output.

I was just pointing out that last week was MC and now its the OL this week.

Last week was just a space filler for a deadline IMO.

HonestChieffan
08-22-2009, 05:39 AM
JW still in a pissy mood cause Pioli doesn't know who JW is. QB Controversy, OLine sucks, and he probably doesnt like the french fries in the press box.

keg in kc
08-22-2009, 05:59 AM
For a week, the Kansas City QB controversy that never existed is over.

Ebolapox
08-22-2009, 06:23 AM
jesus fucking christ. blow it out your ass, shitlock.

the Talking Can
08-22-2009, 07:02 AM
whitlock didn't know that our ol sucked until last night?

this article mainly sounds like an effort to avoid saying, "holy shit was i wrong about cassel, fuck me i am stupid"

Marcellus
08-22-2009, 07:07 AM
For a week, the Kansas City QB controversy that never existed is over.

:clap: Yup.

Warrior5
08-22-2009, 07:07 AM
No shit Whitlock, ya think? Are you going to write an article next week predicting Pioli will hire Todd Haley as HC?

How the hell do you get paid for this?

InChiefsHeaven
08-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Last nights performance by Cassell should make all the critics STFU. he performed QUITE well considering the dismal offensive line, which looks every bit as bad as the last few seasons. Ther are a lot of positives to take from this game, but I don't see the OLine being anything to write home about, but we have to hope that they will get their shit together and at least be adequate at some point this season. I just hope Cassell and LJ are still alive by the time that happens...

Extra Point
08-22-2009, 07:45 AM
JW still in a pissy mood cause Pioli doesn't know who JW is. QB Controversy, OLine sucks, and he probably doesnt like the french fries in the press box.

If I were Pioli, I'd give him the "special vinegar" on his french fries.

Chief Faithful
08-22-2009, 07:54 AM
The offensive line needs work, but they already look much improved over last year. Fewer mental errors and open rushers. The linemen are in better shape and it shows in the pass blocking. They look a little out of sync in the run game on the right side, but it is the first time Goff and Richardson has started a game together. I did notice Niswanger cannot be counted on to pass block a DT one on one because he just ends up in the QBs lap.

After last night I think the biggest needs are now RG then Center. Richardson looks a little green, but very promising. The conditioning has made a big difference in his game and his pass blocking looked good. A little more strength and experience in the run game and he could be the long term answer the team has been looking for at RT since Taint left.

MahiMike
08-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Doesn't look like McIntosh will get unseated. Not a good thing. I was impressed how well Cassel scrambled to make throws. Threw a lot of accurate passes on the run too.

TEX
08-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Whitlock nailed it. I've been saying it all off season that as good as this off season has been, the Chiefs did not make hardly any effort to upgrade the OL. It makes absolutely no sense when you consider that the OL has been twisted shit for two seasons now and they went out and finally got themselves a legit QBOTF, who actually can play in the now. :shake:

TEX
08-22-2009, 09:20 AM

After last night I think the biggest needs are now RG then Center. Richardson looks a little green, but very promising. The conditioning has made a big difference in his game and his pass blocking looked good. A little more strength and experience in the run game and he could be the long term answer the team has been looking for at RT since Taint left.

The whole right side of the line - including center is total crap. IMO, it has been for a couple of seasons now.

TEX
08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Last nights performance by Cassell should make all the critics STFU. he performed QUITE well considering the dismal offensive line, which looks every bit as bad as the last few seasons. Ther are a lot of positives to take from this game, but I don't see the OLine being anything to write home about, but we have to hope that they will get their shit together and at least be adequate at some point this season. I just hope Cassell and LJ are still alive by the time that happens...

This.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2009, 09:27 AM
This just in: The Chiefs will only win 4-6 games this year because of a number of holes on the team. Shocker!!!

shaneo69
08-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybe since the Chiefs offensive personnel sucks, they should try something different, like maybe the spread offense. You know, just to give us a chance at scoring some points.

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 09:40 AM
First Cassel sucks forever and now the Oline holds no Promise. All after 2 preseason games.

Stop being such a douche, Whitlock.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2009, 09:41 AM
First Cassel sucks forever and now the Oline holds no Promise. All after 2 preseason games.

Stop being such a douche, Whitlock.

I'm waiting on his "Tyson Jackson is getting blown off the ball" column.

He loves to whip out his expertise from the "trenches." I remember when he wrote that article about Ryan Sims getting his butt kicked in a preseason game by some rookie Giants' offensive lineman. Good stuff, actually. So was the stuff last year about Dorsey playing head up on guards.

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm waiting on his "Tyson Jackson is getting blown off the ball" column.

He loves to whip out his expertise from the "trenches." I remember when he wrote that article about Ryan Sims getting his butt kicked in a preseason game by some rookie Giants' offensive lineman. Good stuff, actually. So was the stuff last year about Dorsey playing head up on guards.
Whitlock has some knowledge and ability if he just wasn't so intent on getting the quick pop of attention.

wild1
08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
whitlock didn't know that our ol sucked until last night?

this article mainly sounds like an effort to avoid saying, "holy shit was i wrong about cassel, **** me i am stupid"

yes exactly

stevieray
08-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I'll never understand the complete lack of objectivity when it comes to evaluating a total rebuild two preseason games in...Chiefs go on the road against what many consider a SB contender and hold their own, yet they are going be held back becuase they didn't dominate on the line..if you can't tell that this team is playing with a different mindset and you have unrealisric expectations already, then you're watching football to be an armchair QB who just needs something to complain about.

boogblaster
08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
The O-line is average at best .. Maybe by next year we'll get some O-line help until then maybe 7 to 8 wins ....

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll never understand the complete lack of objectivity when it comes to evaluating a total rebuild two preseason games in...Chiefs go on the road against what many consider a SB contender and hold their own, yet they are going be held back becuase they didn't dominate on the line..if you can't tell that this team is playing with a different mindset and you have unrealisric expectations already, then you're watching football to be an armchair QB who just needs something to complain about.

stevie if you couldnt tell on your own, there are a ton of guys like that here. hell some have said we didnt move the ball in the first qtr.

RedThat
08-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Whitlock has some knowledge and ability if he just wasn't so intent on getting the quick pop of attention.

And this is what I was trying to point out about Whitlock.

He writes his articles strictly based upon the negative things that happen in the present moment.

Our offensive line didn't play well yesterday fine. But does that mean they're gonna suck? Absolutely not.

I recall last year there was a time our offensive line was playing well, and he was praising them. That line we had last year had less talent then this year.

chiefzilla1501
08-22-2009, 11:13 AM

Because a critical piece to the rebuild is grooming our QBOTF.

And when you add a piece like Cassel, you have to surround him with the tools to be successful. I'm happy the Chiefs went and got Cassel, but I still to this day cannot fathom why Pioli decided to be so quiet about guys who can help Cassel out. They traded away a prime receiving target and did nothing to revamp a horrendous offensive line. I'm just crossing my fingers that Cassel doesn't get hurt or have his confidence rattled.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 11:17 AM

And when you add a piece like Cassel, you have to surround him with the tools to be successful. I'm happy the Chiefs went and got Cassel, but I still to this day cannot fathom why Pioli decided to be so quiet about guys who can help Cassel out. They traded away a prime receiving target and did nothing to revamp a horrendous offensive line. I'm just crossing my fingers that Cassel doesn't get hurt or have his confidence rattled.

are you saying that TG is still in his "prime"?

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 11:19 AM
This just in: The Chiefs will only win 4-6 games this year because of a number of holes on the team. Shocker!!!

Unless something drastic occurs, I'm now thinking between 1-4 games, maybe even just three.

The offensive line, which they failed to adequately address in the draft and offseason, will be this team's undoing.

TEX
08-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Unless something drastic occurs, I'm now thinking between 1-4 games, maybe even just three.

The offensive line, which they failed to adequately address in the draft and offseason, will be this team's undoing.

The deal is it's been bad for a couple of seasons now, especially from center to right. That's the absolute first place I would have tried to improve, especially when you consider they went out and got a franchise QB. I understand the total rebuild and all, I'm just of the opinion they should have done way more to get OL talent this offseason to protect MC.

InChiefsHeaven
08-22-2009, 11:32 AM
are you saying that TG is still in his "prime"?

Until there is some evidence to the contrary...

Coogs
08-22-2009, 11:53 AM
And this is what I was trying to point out about Whitlock.

He writes his articles strictly based upon the negative things that happen in the present moment.

Our offensive line didn't play well yesterday fine. But does that mean they're gonna suck? Absolutely not.

I recall last year there was a time our offensive line was playing well, and he was praising them. That line we had last year had less talent then this year.

Yep. I'm not going to look it up, but last week I think the Vikings sacked Peyton Manning 3 times in something like 6 plays. Manning scorched the Eagles this week. Getting roughed up by the Vikings D is nothing new. ( And I know which two guys were missing as well)

stevieray
08-22-2009, 11:59 AM

you can't have it both ways.

listen. this organization has been chasing it's tail for twenty years..at least. It had become stale, unproductive and corrupted through the good ol boy network. It refused to change, it refused to see problems in front of it's face..it never took obvious risks (see Grbac over Gannon and Trent over DH at Indy, etc) instead it took dumb expensive risks, think that plugging holes with aging vets would get them over the hump...coaching decisions that haunt us to this day..always a coach who could build only a half a team...bad scouting? are you kidding? this team has wasted ten years of drafts, with minimal results, usually in non skill positions...teasing the fans enough to think they were close, when in reality they never really were, therofre never able to get past the first round....it's pathetic it when on as long as it did.

The second that Lamar's health went south was the second the change was inevitable. Clark knew it...the fans knew it and I suspect that deep down even CP knew it. ..and it showed.. mainly n the stands.

Pioli went in to this draft with mediocre scouts, then canned them aftewards (SOP)...this next years draft is where the true rebuild begins...that;s when we see the interior core being built. Everyone knows that the QB is number one postion...this town has long need to develop it's own QB and kill the ghost of Lenny. FINALLY. I'm sure Cassel knows that hey are going to build a team around him. he knows what most win craved fans fail to realize...it's gonna take some time. We were all so elated that the flush finally happened...while I was excited, I knew at that moment that it was gonna be at least two years for the seeds to produce the harvest. This is the most pivotal time in recent chiefs history..to judge them llike they should be contenders and compared to contenders is ridiculous..logically, there is no reason to expect greatness right off the bat and nit pick needed improvements that have to be chopped down little by little..we know that Pioli will keep a fluid roster, we know that Haley will make you earn your spot...we know that theyy are concentrating on team, instead of stars( DBowe)

I think that we've got to get out of the cynical cycle..I understand why we are there, but I also think that Chief era is dead....as it should be.

off soap box,

Inspector
08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, it's a work in progress, for sure.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Until there is some evidence to the contrary...

he says himself he's only got a year or two left

Sully
08-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I think RT is Rochardson's job. It reminds me of the question:
If you have two guys who run to first base and get there in the same time, but one has perfect form, and one doesn't, which do you draft? The guy with poor form, because at least he can learn. I think the two look pretty similar, but we've seen mac's very best. It seems fairly apparent to me our offense is going to center around a short quick passing attack, so it doesn't really matter.
Let's see if he can improve. It's clear he has bought into Haley's system, where mac has not fully.

the Talking Can
08-22-2009, 12:35 PM

listen. this organization has been chasing it's tail for twenty years..at least. It had become stale, unproductive and corrupted through the good ol boy network. It refused to change, it refused to see problems in front of it's face..it never took obvious risks (see Grbac over Gannon and Trent over DH at Indy, etc) instead it took dumb expensive risks, think that plugging holes with aging vets would get them over the hump...coaching decisions that haunt us to this day..always a coach who could build only a half a team...bad scouting? are you kidding? this team has wasted ten years of drafts, with minimal results, usually in non skill positions...teasing the fans enough to think they were close, when in reality they never really were, therofre never able to get past the first round....it's pathetic it when on as long as it did.

The second that Lamar's health went south was the second the change was inevitable. Clark knew it...the fans knew it and I suspect that deep down even CP knew it. ..and it showed.. mainly n the stands.

Pioli went in to this draft with mediocre scouts, then canned them aftewards (SOP)...this next years draft is where the true rebuild begins...that;s when we see the interior core being built. Everyone knows that the QB is number one postion...this town has long need to develop it's own QB and kill the ghost of Lenny. FINALLY. I'm sure Cassel knows that hey are going to build a team around him. he knows what most win craved fans fail to realize...it's gonna take some time. We were all so elated that the flush finally happened...while I was excited, I knew at that moment that it was gonna be at least two years for the seeds to produce the harvest. This is the most pivotal time in recent chiefs history..to judge them llike they should be contenders and compared to contenders is ridiculous..logically, there is no reason to expect greatness right off the bat and nit pick needed improvements that have to be chopped down little by little..we know that Pioli will keep a fluid roster, we know that Haley will make you earn your spot...we know that theyy are concentrating on team, instead of stars( DBowe)

I think that we've got to get out of the cynical cycle..I understand why we are there, but I also think that Chief era is dead....as it should be.

off soap box,

outstanding post, exactly how i feel right now

chiefzilla1501
08-22-2009, 12:35 PM

off soap box,

I get where you're coming from, but you have to realize the difference in the angle. I don't think the Chiefs should plug in a bunch of expensive veterans, but I think they had plenty of opportunity to bring in a bunch of 1-2 year stopgaps who cost a little bit up-front, but don't have any major long-term cap consequences. That's the kind of guy they brought in in Goff, Thomas, and Vrabel. And that's a guy they had, but then traded away, in Tony Gonzalez.

It's one thing if these guys are taking the place of a young player with upside. They'd be replacing players who don't have much long-term future. As I said, protecting Cassel is the #1, #2, and #3 priority. This team goes nowhere unless we have a QBOTF. And because we made the conscious strategic decision to remain mostly at status quo with our o-line, we can only cross our fingers and hope that Cassel stays upright all season long. I support a lot of things Pioli has done and anyone who's heard me rant knows that I was one of CP's biggest critics, but that doesn't mean he's doing everything right. I think this is an area where he goofed and I have a feeling he and Haley both know it. Hence, the rush to get Toomer and the decision to run most snaps last night in the shotgun.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:38 PM
The deal is it's been bad for a couple of seasons now, especially from center to right. That's the absolute first place I would have tried to improve, especially when you consider they went out and got a franchise QB. I understand the total rebuild and all, I'm just of the opinion they should have done way more to get OL talent this offseason to protect MC.

The offensive line has been in decline since 2005. Instead of rebuilding the line through the draft, they chose to ignore it until 2007, when they signed FcIntosh. They had an undrafted free agent at right guard (the 'Wanger) after the retirement of Will Shields. They were forced to address left tackle in 2008 but ignored all of other positions.

I was certain that Pioli & company would address the offense line in the 2009 draft because it was very deep for centers and tackles. Obviously, I was wrong.

I don't know what made both Carl & Herm and now Pioli & Haley think they could win with Niswanger, Goff/Smith/Jones and FcIntosh. Either it's arrogance or it's ignorance.

Either way, the Chiefs will suck on offense until it's adequately addressed.

RedThat
08-22-2009, 12:53 PM

off soap box,

Bingo! you nailed it right there...And that was the most frustrating part to watch as a fan. i don't care what anybody says, you bomb drafts and it sets your team back. Hopefully that'll change.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
There were a lot of decent OL prospects in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. I understand the thinking behind Magee, but you don't pass up on some of those OL in favor of Donald Washington.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:59 PM
There were a lot of decent OL prospects in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. I understand the thinking behind Magee, but you don't pass up on some of those OL in favor of Donald Washington.

Hey, you disagreed with me on draft day, saying he the BAA. :D

Why the change?

SenselessChiefsFan
08-22-2009, 01:09 PM
The line does need work.... with that out of the way.....

The Chiefs ran to the right to test Richardson. In a real regular season game, do the Chiefs do that? Um. No.

The Chiefs did run a couple of draws, a little misdirection and even tried to set up a screen. But, other than that, they did little to try to shore up the blocking. They didn't go max protect, I didn't see much shading to the right to help Richardson. I didn't see the TE's on the line much.

Overall, they didn't do a lot that they will likely do during the season.

McIntosh needs to get his head out of his butt and buy in. He isn't great. He is servicable at best... but he is better than Richardson or Herb Taylor at this point.

RedThat
08-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I wonder what happened to Kolby Smith?

I liked him. Thought he had potential, showed some flashes of being a pretty good player.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 01:11 PM

I liked him. Thought he had potential, showed some flashes of being a pretty good player.

uuummmmm he blew out a knee?

RedThat
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
uuummmmm he blew out a knee?

Yeah I remember that last year, did it happen again this year? geez man thats rough if it did.

Sully
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
The line does need work....

McIntosh needs to get his head out of his butt and buy in. He isn't great. He is servicable at best... but he is better than Richardson or Herb Taylor at this point.

If he's better, it's marginally, at most.
I think he'll be cut. But that's just my opinion.

SAUTO
08-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah I remember that last year, did it happen again this year? geez man thats rough if it did.

no he just hasnt made it back yet by the looks of it

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 02:00 PM

He was a 5th round draft choice that was a slow, plodding runner.

He blew out his ACL last year and hasn't returned.

I'd imagine he'll just be a slower, more plodding runner and won't make much of an impact if he returns.

googlegoogle
08-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Haley & Pioli have said you can't get it all fixed in one season.

The D looked good.

Wait for the cuts by other teams.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey, you disagreed with me on draft day, saying he the BAA. :D

Why the change?

I wasn't on the board on draft day. I gave the draft a C- grade.