PDA

View Full Version : Football Whitlock - Vikings using Favre to play political football

Hammock Parties
08-23-2009, 04:25 AM
I enjoyed this.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1399081.html

I left Minnesota on Saturday morning convinced that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre do not respect the game.

Friday’s Chiefs-Vikings exhibition was the first Chiefs preseason road game I’d ever attended that didn’t involve a Hall of Fame induction.

I canceled a trip to Los Angeles and Las Vegas just so I could be in the building when Favre made his Vikings debut. His last-minute return to the National Football League and our collective (media and fans) reaction to his re-emergence fascinates me.

It’s a case study in exactly where we’ve arrived in professional sports.

The games being played behind the scenes have taken precedence over the actual games.

Think about it. A 39-year-old quarterback hopped off a couch in Mississippi, flew to Minneapolis, practiced two or three times and started an NFL game. Why?

It’s a remarkable sign of disrespect for the game and the difficulty of playing quarterback at any level. We know Favre’s ego is out of control. Years of listening to John Madden compare him to Jesus Christ have justifiably warped Favre’s perception of himself. Favre believes he can complete passes with both hands tied behind his back.

But why would Brad Childress allow Favre to disrespect the game in such an obvious manner? Why send Favre into battle in a meaningless preseason game?

It has to be a business move. It has to be a public-relations ploy.

No different from Childress leaving a Vikings practice to personally drive Favre from the airport to the Vikings’ facilities.

You saw that, didn’t you? Helicopters followed Childress’ black SUV down the highway as the my-way-or-the-highway head coach delivered Favre to the Vikings. Why? Why is Childress hamming it up for the cameras?

I mentioned in my Saturday column that the Vikings are desperately trying to get a new stadium built. The Twins and the Minnesota Golden Gophers are moving out of the 27-year-old Metrodome. The Twins will have a baseball-only facility. The state anted up for the Gophers to get a new football stadium.

The Vikings are stuck in the Metrodome. Their lease runs out in 2011. It appears the 2010 election season (new governor) will be a make-or-break time for a Vikings stadium initiative.

Brett Favre is a swiftboat. He’s a political football. He’s a tactic in a $700 million negotiation with Minnesota taxpayers.

Zygi Wilf gave the Hall of Fame QB a two-year, $25 million contract so he could use him as a prop in a game that has little to do with winning a Super Bowl.

The Vikings signed Favre to sell tickets and jerseys and generate excitement for a new stadium.

It’s so freaking obvious that I’m embarrassed I didn’t recognize it before I canceled my trip out West.

No doubt, Wilf and Childress hope Favre helps the Vikings reach the playoffs. But that’s not their primary mission. They turned over control of the franchise to Favre because he can complete the Hail Mary pass necessary to get a new stadium.

Of course it sets a terrible precedent. I know very few great athletes who believe they need training camp or much practice at all to perform at a high level. Everyone believes they can just wing it. They’re that good.

Favre played like an old man Friday. The Vikings accomplished very little in the two series he played. Backup Tarvaris Jackson came off the bench and led two touchdown drives. No one in Minnesota is ready to argue that Jackson should lead the Vikings.

But what happens if Favre struggles during the early part of the regular season? Minnesota’s locker room is going to fracture. The players in the locker room will see Favre for what he is, a piece in a stadium project, someone with very little respect for the game.

Slainte
08-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Better than the last two....

kcxiv
08-23-2009, 04:32 AM
meh..

Crashride
08-23-2009, 05:26 AM
I could see his arguement, but I just dont know if that is really the case. Who knows?

HonestChieffan
08-23-2009, 05:41 AM
KC Star Using Whitlock to fill Space.

milkman
08-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Why, of why, do I click on Whitlock articles?

I know it's going to be useless drivel.

BigRock
08-23-2009, 06:07 AM
I canceled a trip to Los Angeles and Las Vegas just so I could be in the building when Favre made his Vikings debut.

JASON'S GOING TO SUMMERSLAM!

HypnotizedMonkey
08-23-2009, 08:17 AM
It is pretty obvious. Along with the extra revenue though, the players (with exception of Rosenfels and Jackson) are probably pretty pumped up which could translate to some harder play all around. They just gotta pray he doesn't break.

Coogs
08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
I didn't read this, but I am assuming Haley is to blame for something since the Chiefs were involved in this game as well.

milkman
08-23-2009, 08:23 AM
It is pretty obvious. Along with the extra revenue though, the players (with exception of Rosenfels and Jackson) are probably pretty pumped up which could translate to some harder play all around. They just gotta pray he doesn't break.

Signing Favre has all kinds of positive side effects, not the least of which is peace of mind for Viking Fan.

I mean, hell, if I were a Viking fan, I could sit back, relax and enjoy the season, content in the knowledge that it will end on a Favre interception.

kstater
08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
LMAO

DTLB58
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I call B.S.

I hope there would never be an owner in the NFL that would have little passion for the game that money would be more important than winning a Super Bowl.

Are the Wilf's going to get everything else that he mentioned here? Yes. But to think they did it with no football intent and possibilities of bringing their team a SB in the next two years is absurd.

kstater
08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I call B.S.

I hope there would never be an owner in the NFL that would have little passion for the game that money would be more important than winning a Super Bowl.

I can promise you that every owner in the league cares about making a profit over winning the Super Bowl.

dirk digler
08-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Actually I think Whitlock nails this article. This is clearly a more business move than a football move.

Bane
08-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah considering they just threw their SB chances out the window by bringing in Favre.

milkman
08-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Actually I think Whitlock nails this article. This is clearly a more business move than a football move.

Really, who the fuck cares.

Write this article for Viking fan.

milkman
08-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah considering they just threw their SB chances out the window by bringing in Favre.

Their just had their SB chances intercepted.

JD10367
08-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Actually, I don't disagree with his premise, but it's certainly not something new in sports. It's no coincidence that success and/or big-name players breeds fan excitement and thus tax dollars. No Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe = no new stadium for Bob Kraft. (Yes, he built it privately. But he needed state money for infrastructure, and he needed fan support for sold-out stadiums.) Of COURSE a byproduct of Favre is more season tickets and jersey sales.

But I'm not sure I agree with his premise about vets needing training camp. Favre has been playing QB a long time. He's familiar with the offense. In fact, on the few passes he tried that didn't connect, it looked like his receivers were to blame, not him. As much as I despise Favre and think he's a douchewaffle, I also think he'll be pretty successful there and will push them a few wins higher, and maybe into the Super Bowl. Whether or not Favre turns back into the late-season, worn-out, INT-heaving machine, well, that remains to be seen. But I really don't think he needed training camp. QBs aren't running backs or wide receivers, who need to "get their legs" or build muscle or any of that jazz.

Is Childress a weasel for lying? Yes. Is he a weasel for going to pick up Favre personally? Yes. Says a lot about him. Glad he's not my team's head coach.

Agent V
08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
He broke last year. And he was a year younger. As a side note, I found it absurd that they simply took Booty's number 4 without asking. They mentioned that during the game.

dirk digler
08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Really, who the fuck cares.

Write this article for Viking fan.

I agree with that. I don't know why KC people should care. Whitlock must have run out of material or is lazy.

KcFanInGA
08-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Whitlock may have a point, but I see this as killing two birds with one stone for the Vikings. The NFL is a business, Favre will sell tickets. Now if it helps the Vikings get a new stadum when the other teams in the area are, so much the better for them I guess. I don't see it as disrespecting the game.

dirk digler
08-23-2009, 09:12 AM
As a side note, I found it absurd that they simply took Booty's number 4 without asking. They mentioned that during the game.

Seriously I didn't hear that? If so that is some BS. Favre should have paid him to change numbers

Agent V
08-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Seriously I didn't hear that? If so that is some BS. Favre should have paid him to change numbers
That's what the commentators said anyway. I found a link:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/sports/John_David_Booty_Number_9_Jersey_Vikings

Doesn't say much, but there you go.

KCUnited
08-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Childress is a joke and its becoming obvious why Minnesota has been laughed at for over a decade. I think they are trying to get to a Superbowl because you get what you want from the fans, the city, the league when you win a Superbowl. Does Favre give them a better chance? Maybe. But the way they've bent over, massaged his balls, and guided his tip to the outer rings of their asshole right out in front of everyone is fucking disgusting.

JD10367
08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Childress is a joke and its becoming obvious why Minnesota has been laughed at for over a decade. I think they are trying to get to a Superbowl because you get what you want from the fans, the city, the league when you win a Superbowl. Does Favre give them a better chance? Maybe. But the way they've bent over, massaged his balls, and guided his tip to the outer rings of their asshole right out in front of everyone is ****ing disgusting.

Whoa... way TMI in the description, dude. :dom:

OnTheWarpath15
08-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure what commentators you were listening to, but the guys I was listening to said that JDB willingly gave up his number.

That he grew up as a Favre fan and didn't want Brett to feel like he had to pay him for it.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-23-2009, 11:09 AM
He broke last year. And he was a year younger. As a side note, I found it absurd that they simply took Booty's number 4 without asking. They mentioned that during the game.

You're right, but this year I think he can lean more on the talent around him and of course be more instinctual with the offensive system. Still an old fucker though. lol

wild1
08-23-2009, 01:41 PM
It's audacious to play your starting QB for 2 series in a preseason game?

It's audacious to sign a guy who sold tens of thousands of tickets and untold amounts of merchandise?

And, who (say what you will) was one of the better QBs of his generation?

Whitlock has really hit the skids lately. Picking at everything, especially that which there's nothing to pick at. He's like a child with a plate full of food he doesn't like. Nothing to write about, so he just reverts to complaining.

Mecca
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Uh you know if they win a bowl it'll do more to get them a stadium than anything...

KCBOSS1
08-23-2009, 03:03 PM
You know what, Whitlock is too late for this argument and misdirected....Come on, rookie receivers who haven't caught a single pass in the NFL wanting 40 mil aren't disrespecting the game? Current players who won't negotiate a few hundred thousand dollars out of their 12 million per year checks to take care of older retired players aren't disrespecting the game?.....

I think that Favre should go through training camp. We all know that the whole "he's not coming to Minnesota" deal was a smoke screen to keep him out of training camp. I don't think that was a good message to send to his teammates. But the entire players association is disrespecting the game and except for the retire, unretire junk, I think Favre has been excellent for the game. I don't doubt some of what he is saying, but in light of the rookie BS and the retired players junk, it pails. The rest is speculation.

Sully
08-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure what commentators you were listening to, but the guys I was listening to said that JDB willingly gave up his number.

That he grew up as a Favre fan and didn't want Brett to feel like he had to pay him for it.

What you heard was Mayock and the Minn broadcast. The KC guys said it was taken from him. Who knows whom to believe.

Agent V
08-23-2009, 03:21 PM
What you heard was Mayock and the Minn broadcast. The KC guys said it was taken from him. Who knows whom to believe.

Okay, that's what was confusing. I'm guessing the Minnesota broadcasters know more about the situation than the KC guys.

KCBOSS1
08-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, the KC guys were talking out of their butts like Whitlock is.

tk13
08-23-2009, 04:19 PM
We'll see, I'm still not sure they're a lock to even win the division. I don't think Favre needs training camp. But you have to question whether his heart is in it. Just a couple weeks ago he was telling everyone that would listen that his body wouldn't hold up over a season. Now he wants to do it. He can help the Vikings but compared to all the elite QB's who spend all offseason studying and working, focused on getting to the playoffs... how he can just show up and wing it all the way to a Super Bowl.

KCBOSS1
08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't think this is a superbowl team. i don't think that his motivation is to stick it to the Packers (although he will enjoy that if it happens), I don't think he wanted to come to camp. I don't think he is an attention "whore" like some of you guys think. He just doesn't want to quit, Green Bay is not an option now and this offense is his offense...it's an easy transition. He just doesn't want to give it up yet. All of the opinions are irrelevant to him, they have to be. He knows that all of the sports beat writers like are like a fart in whirlwind grappling to have something to complain about. I like him, he's a tough guy, nobody can dispute that...he's a gamer and does what he wants.