PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Glenn Dorsey Can Earn 12 million more

Chiefnj2
08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
From profootballtalk.com's discussion on Maybin's contract:

"We pointed specifically to the 2008 contract of Chiefs defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, whose contract as the fifth overall pick ties $10 million (technically, it's $12 million) in escalators and incentives to being named the Super Bowl MVP not one or twice but four times. "

-if this is a repost, bite me.

notorious
08-24-2009, 08:56 AM
From profootballtalk.com's discussion on Maybin's contract:

" to being named the Super Bowl MVP not one or twice but four times. "

-if this is a repost, bite me.

I wonder how long and hard everybody laughed when they wrote that part in.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Oh, Carl. You're still with us.

ClevelandBronco
08-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Why wouldn't he just scratch out that clause?

CoMoChief
08-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Long Live Carl Peterson

Rooster
08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
:LOL: Oh Carl.... you so crazy...LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
What half-brained Agent and GM sit down and think up this kind of utter ridiculousness?

Oh yeah; that guy.

salame
08-24-2009, 12:16 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MhRRZn0fCOQ/RyC4H2ZFvUI/AAAAAAAAAHw/ltIUU7n4yEg/s400/image001.png

Bane
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
What half-brained Agent and GM sit down and think up this kind of utter ridiculousness?

Oh yeah; that guy.

He prob still laughs at that one.LMAO

Anyong Bluth
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
First, if he reached the incentive, I'd happily pay the bastard.

Second, this isn't that uncommon because all NFL contracts use the same template, and then the base salary is structured by the number of years depending on cap room and size of the signing bonus- which is the only guarenteed money in the NFL.

Plus, most of the time the last few years of the contract are bogus because the base salaries jump so high or there are huge roster bonuses, which are essentially poison pills, to get a new contract and signing bonus based on the future cap increases and higher avg base salaries bc of the absurd rookie contracts for high 1st rounders and top guys in the league signing new top end contracts- either in FA or with their current club, causing the top 5 salaries for guys at any position to usually jump a bit. Clubs do this so they can pro-rate the signing bonus over the longer number of years the contract is to lessen the blow it would take on the current cap year. But large roster bonuses can't be spread over the contract life and so it really screws w a teams cap number if they have to eat $10 mil for X player when it comes due.

Sort of like the rising tide raising all boats. Except for those guys that aren't sought after if they hit the open market, and then they hardly see much in terms of a jump sans getting a jump simply based on number of years they have played and the vet min increasing their base minimum.

Which is why many have argued a rookie cap, bc a lot of guys will never see that big contract while teams invest so much into unproven high draft picks that may end up being flops, and those $$$ could be used to pay vets a higher base min as well as the lower round guys getting a higher rookie base min salary if they do end up making the squad.

The incentives are there and range from very easy to meet, and essentially expected, to med level and really are performace driven "pay for play."

The last group are those like Dorsey has cited above, and really that's just a concession teams make when negotiating w the agent, so he can inflate the number to make his client happy by saying you can make up to $X if you reach all the incentives, vs dropping $12 mil off the max contract value. Plus they can throw out I got so and so a contract for $X when trying to sign future rooks to be their agent.

Truth is, most players don't read their contract too closily, and forget about it when their agent calls and is like we reached a deal and once you sign it, you gonna have $X mil in the next 48 hours- welcome to the big time blah blah blah!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandBronco
08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
First, if reached the incentive, I'd happily pay the bastard.

Really? I wonder what team he'd be playing for? It certainly wouldn't be the Chiefs.

Chiefnj2
08-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Can you imagine Carl sitting there with a straight face arguing that 2 or 3 Super Bowl MVP awards was too much of a risk to take. "We need 4 Super Bowl MVPs, Herm is really close to turning this thing around!"

notorious
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Can you imagine Carl sitting there with a straight face arguing that 2 or 3 Super Bowl MVP awards was too much of a risk to take. "We need 4 Super Bowl MVPs, Herm is really close to turning this thing around!"

Bwhhaaaaaaaaaa. Herm turned it around all right, just not in the correct direction.

Mr. Krab
08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Just bullshit they put in contracts to raise the total $$$ number so the agent looks good and hurries up and signs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Really? I wonder what team he'd be playing for? It certainly wouldn't be the Chiefs.

The only place THAT'S going down is on the South Park Imagination Land Team.

:rolleyes::shake::D

Halfcan
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
dorsey is soo overpaid-be nice to see him earn at least some of that signing bonus this year

Consistent1
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
It is really pretty much in the bag for Dorsey when you consider this rebuild. Let's say the Chiefs only win ten Super Bowl games in his career. I would be happy with him being MVP 40% of the time. Some offensive players will at least win a few. It really isn't some hugely fucked up deal. He won't get it within say....the next five years, but when he is older and closer to retirement...should be a done deal. Great financial security for his retirement. You guys are used to poor teams. It isn't like that anymore. Good for Dorsey.

bevischief
08-24-2009, 05:57 PM
The only place THAT'S going down is on the South Park Imagination Land Team.

:rolleyes::shake::D

I thought that was what we had the last few years...