PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink OK Denverites - Smashburger Opinions?

Stewie
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
A better burger? Smashburger coming to area

<!-- END tabs --> <!-- begin content --> One of the nation’s hottest restaurant concepts is coming to the area.

Denver-based Smashburger said Monday it plans to open locations in Lawrence in spring 2010, Overland Park in the summer of 2010 and in Westport. No date has been set for a Westport opening.

The operations offer “cooked-to-order” burgers, 100 percent Angus beef (1/3 or ½ pound), smashed (thus the name), seared and seasoned on the grill, put between a butter-toasted bun and then topped with such items as cheese, fresh produce and condiments.

Customers can order from one of the chain’s recipes or they can create their own. Also on the menu — chicken sandwiches, salads, haystack onions, Häagen-Dazs shakes, bottled beer and wine. Average check price is $7.95.

This so called “better burger” segment of the industry is expected to capture a growing portion of the $100 billion hamburger category, according to Nation’s Restaurant News, a national trade publication.

Local operations like Blanc Burgers + Bottles and Chefburger also have jumped on the trend. Blanc currently has a Westport location so could be going head-to-head with Smashburger.

Smashburger, which currently has 27 operations, was recently named one of five “2009 Hot Concept Winners” by Nation’s Restaurant News with average annual sales at about $1.3 million per location and a new location opening every other week.

wild1
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
It's not bad. Better than what you are going to get most places.

pr_capone
08-24-2009, 07:42 PM
It's not bad. Better than what you are going to get most places.

Yup. We have one here in Wichita.

Better burger but you certainly pay for it.

Bugeater
08-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Damn, they are expanding like crazy. They're supposed to be opening one about a 1/2 mile from me in Oct, and up to 10 more in the Omaha/Lincoln area in the next 4 yrs.

KC Jones
08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
It's a good burger. I'd compare it to backyard burgers or Town Topic in the KC area.

CosmicPal
08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
You're not supposed to "smash" a burger before putting it on the grill. The best burgers are those that are "formed" into patties- NEVER smashed.

Stanley Nickels
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
It cannot be as good as Booche's Burgers. That, for me, is the epitome of burgerdom

Miles
08-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I hadn't realized they were expanding so much. I have heard a lot of good things about it but still never been.

KC Jones
08-24-2009, 09:03 PM
You're not supposed to "smash" a burger before putting it on the grill. The best burgers are those that are "formed" into patties- NEVER smashed.

Generalizations are ALWAYS wrong.

Bugeater
08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
On a related note, we have a place here called Fatburger, and one of their burger topping options... a fried egg.

http://www.fatburger.com/menu/

listopencil
08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
On a related note, we have a place here called Fatburger, and one of their burger topping options... a fried egg.

Yeah, I want a fried egg and bacon burger. Add some hash brown patties on there too. Breakfast burger.

Bugeater
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I want a fried egg and bacon burger. Add some hash brown patties on there too. Breakfast burger.
Might as well drench it in sausage gravy while you're at it.

listopencil
08-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Might as well drench it in sausage gravy while you're at it.

Mmmm. That would work. I want my breakfast burger with bacon and sausage.

DaneMcCloud
08-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Dude, Fatburger started in SoCal decades ago. George Foreman was a huge sponsor and endorser. It freakin' rules (at least out here).

As a matter of fact, we had Fatburger yesterday. :D

Miles
08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Dude, Fatburger started in SoCal decades ago. George Foreman was a huge sponsor and endorser. It freakin' rules (at least out here).

Good stuff in Denver as well.

Jewish Rabbi
08-24-2009, 11:53 PM

Red Robin has these too... They are actually delicious, although I probably shortened my life by about 3 years.

Psyko Tek
08-25-2009, 12:10 AM

once you smash it you lose the blood and fat for flavor

BURGER FAIL

JuicesFlowing
08-25-2009, 02:07 AM
I posted a Smashburger thread after they opened in Wichita ... I think I was the only one who liked their food.

kepp
08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
One of the nation’s hottest restaurant concepts is coming to the area.

The operations offer “cooked-to-order” burgers, 100 percent Angus beef (1/3 or ½ pound), smashed (thus the name), seared and seasoned on the grill, put between a butter-toasted bun and then topped with such items as cheese, fresh produce and condiments.

Wow...so a hamburger patty cooked on a grill, then put on a bun with cheese and stuff? This IS a hot, new concept.

Bane
08-25-2009, 07:50 AM
You can smash it all you want till the meat gets hot.Then you enter the no smash zone.

patteeu
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Red Robin has these too... They are actually delicious, although I probably shortened my life by about 3 years.

+1!

Fish
08-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah.... what makes this the nation’s hottest restaurant concept? Cooked to order burgers aren't anything new....

OnTheWarpath15
08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Sounds like what Steak 'n Shake has been doing for the last 80 years to me.

You want innovation? Go to Burger Bar.

gblowfish
08-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Yep, Steak N Shake, Winstead's, Hi-Boy. Why pay $8 for a hamburger when you can have one as good or beter at any of these three places for half the price?

InChiefsHeaven
08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Fuddruckers here in OMaha...if it's still around, I never go to 72nd and Dodge these days, but it's a burger bar type place. I'm looking forward to the Smashburger though. Never can find too many places to try to kill yourself with food.

Stella's down in Bellevue is really good greasy spoon fist-o-meat burgers too. But I haven't eaten there in years either.

Deberg_1990
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Yep, Steak N Shake, Winstead's, Hi-Boy. Why pay $8 for a hamburger when you can have one as good or beter at any of these three places for half the price?

heh. Agreed. It always cracks me up when some new franchise tries to be "innovative" and reinvent the wheel with a hamburger.

Its a hamburger...not rocket science.

Buck
11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
So I ate at Red Robin for the first time in my life when I went out to Denver last week.

And the 2nd time in my life.

And the 3rd time in my life.

Fuggin' A man, those were the 3 best restaurant burgers I've ever had.

Simply Red
11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

Former professional basketball player Magic Johnson, through Johnson Development Corporation, was one of the owners of the parent company.[1] Former talk show host Montel Williams co-owns several Fatburger restaurants in Colorado.[2] Bay Area rapper E-40 also has a stake in the company as a franchise owner, and played a role in bringing the first Fatburger restaurant to the San Francisco Bay Area.[3]

On August 15, 2003, Fog Cutter Capital Group, Inc., owned by Andrew Wiederhorn, completed a $6 million investment and financing package for Fatburger Holdings, Inc. ("Fatburger"). Fatburger operates or franchises 93 hamburger stands located in California, Nebraska, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Louisiana, Colorado, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, Florida, New York, Canada, and Greater China.

Rapper Kanye West's restaurant company will be opening 10 Fatburger restaurants in Chicagoland, starting in September 2008.[4] Hip-hop musician Pharrell, in partnership with Fatburger, opened several Fatburger restaurants in China in 2007 and 2008.[5]

Simply Red
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Still. To this day. Houstons has EASILY the best burger I've ever eaten. Easily.

jjjayb
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
5 guys burgers and fries is really good. We've got one in Olathe I've eaten at a couple times. Delicious.

rockymtnchief
11-25-2009, 02:00 PM
So I ate at Red Robin for the first time in my life when I went out to Denver last week.

What did you have? I think I've tried ever burger they had, up until a few years ago. I liked them all except any that had pineapple.

sedated
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
once you smash it you lose the blood and fat for flavor

BURGER FAIL

not if its still raw.

until its cooked, smashing it won't lose any blood or fat.

Buck
11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
What did you have? I think I've tried ever burger they had, up until a few years ago. I liked them all except any that had pineapple.

I had the Burning Love Burger, which had Fried Jalepeños, Pepper Jack Cheese, and Chipotle Mayo on it.

I'd give this burger a 8/10

I had the Royal Red Robin Burger, which had a fried Egg and Bacon on top.

9/10

Lastly, I had the A1 Peppercorn Burger, dont remember what was on it, but it was perhaps the best Burger I've ever eaten.

10/10

Mr. Flopnuts
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM

They have some good fuckin burgers. The wife and I drop in there less frequently now, but when I eat a burger it's usually from there, or fatburger.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I had the Burning Love Burger, which had Fried Jalepeños, Pepper Jack Cheese, and Chipotle Mayo on it.

I'd give this burger a 8/10

I had the Royal Red Robin Burger, which had a fried Egg and Bacon on top.

9/10

Lastly, I had the A1 Peppercorn Burger, dont remember what was on it, but it was perhaps the best Burger I've ever eaten.

10/10

You ever go again try their knife and fork mozzerella burger. Christ, that thing is ridiculous. I think I could live off of them exclusively.

Buck
11-25-2009, 02:08 PM
You ever go again try their knife and fork mozzerella burger. Christ, that thing is ridiculous. I think I could live off of them exclusively.

Not for very long, lol.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Not for very long, lol.

ROFL Hence we don't go very often anymore. They don't have Red Robin in San Diego?

Buck
11-25-2009, 02:15 PM
ROFL Hence we don't go very often anymore. They don't have Red Robin in San Diego?

I checked when they got back and there is one about 2 miles from my work that I never knew about, but thats it.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I checked when they got back and there is one about 2 miles from my work that I never knew about, but thats it.

There you go. So that mozzerella knife and fork burger.... It has marinara sauce on it, and a big, deep fried, mozzerella curd on top of the burger itself. It's to die for dude. Premium Kaiser roll. Try one.

RJ
11-25-2009, 02:18 PM

I would try an egg/chili/cheeseburger.

Buck
11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
There you go. So that mozzerella knife and fork burger.... It has marinara sauce on it, and a big, deep fried, mozzerella curd on top of the burger itself. It's to die for dude. Premium Kaiser roll. Try one.

I will. I'll probably head over there some time next week.

Donger
11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
This is mildly pathetic. I live in Denver and have not only never eaten there, but I've never heard if it, either.

sedated
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM

"No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the morning got the fat burger"

(1992)

RJ
11-25-2009, 02:23 PM
This is mildly pathetic. I live in Denver and have not only never eaten there, but I've never heard if it, either.

Smashburger, Fatburger or Red Robin? Or all three?

Donger
11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Smashburger, Fatburger or Red Robin? Or all three?

The first two.

Simply Red
10-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Fucking terrible, and WAY overpriced. Seriously bad experience.

Simply Red
10-11-2012, 11:39 PM
my burger was crunchy, and yes I understand a sear, but this was just really really bad, earlier.

Mother Fuck You Smashburger!

JohnnyHammersticks
10-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Smashburger is good. Similar to Larkburger (are those in KC?), but better, in my opinion. Great chicken sandwiches. I love to hit the one in Dillon on my way back from skiing.

And unlike McDonalds, etc., you don't feel like a fat, disgusting aids whore as soon as you finish.

DaneMcCloud
10-11-2012, 11:55 PM
And unlike McDonalds, etc., you don't feel like a fat, disgusting aids whore as soon as you finish.

I've never seen or eaten at a Smashburger but it's good to know that it's better than McDonalds.

:doh!:

Simply Red
10-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I like novelty type of foods. But Five Guys destroys Smashburger in taste and texture.

I'd take Houstons or even Winsteads or Hiboy to that crispy puck i ate earlier.

Simply Red
10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
total bill for my girlfriends son and I - $24.00 - which isn't awful. But the sandwich absolutely should have been undeniably 'good' after the $20 mark.

Simply Red
10-12-2012, 12:03 AM
& honestly - I feel a little slighted... I feel insulted.

This Tom Ryan dude needs to kick his area and/or district mgrs in the taint.

SLAG
10-12-2012, 12:05 AM
We walked into a smash burger around here - no line in front of us - about 6 people seated eating

we were told there was a 45 Min. Wait because they were too busy

We went else where

WHO SMASHES A BURGER?!? Thats against the grill code

Simply Red
10-12-2012, 12:09 AM
We walked into a smash burger around here - no line in front of us - about 6 people seated eating

we were told there was a 45 Min. Wait because they were too busy

We went else where

WHO SMASHES A BURGER?!? Thats against the grill code

it's okay if it's raw, the initial smash won't hurt the juice content, but will add that sear, trouble is - Tonya's sons burger was black, literally black and burned.

Apparetly the cook forgot about it on the grill and was burning a j-bo in the walkin freezer. I used to work in restaurants, I know what these mouth-breathers do.

Simply Red
10-12-2012, 12:12 AM
& my burger had weird random crunchy burger croutons scattered around it. Their cook tonight handled his grill about as well as Cassel manages his receiving corps

Psyko Tek
10-12-2012, 12:24 AM
A better burger? Smashburger coming to area

<!-- END tabs --> <!-- begin content --> One of the nation’s hottest restaurant concepts is coming to the area.

Denver-based Smashburger said Monday it plans to open locations in Lawrence in spring 2010, Overland Park in the summer of 2010 and in Westport. No date has been set for a Westport opening.

Customers can order from one of the chain’s recipes or they can create their own. Also on the menu — chicken sandwiches, salads, haystack onions, Häagen-Dazs shakes, bottled beer and wine. Average check price is $7.95.

This so called “better burger” segment of the industry is expected to capture a growing portion of the $100 billion hamburger category, according to Nation’s Restaurant News, a national trade publication.

Local operations like Blanc Burgers + Bottles and Chefburger also have jumped on the trend. Blanc currently has a Westport location so could be going head-to-head with Smashburger.

Smashburger, which currently has 27 operations, was recently named one of five “2009 Hot Concept Winners” by Nation’s Restaurant News with average annual sales at about $1.3 million per location and a new location opening every other week.

tried it last weekend
not a big fan
ranks less than
my grill
what a burger
in an'out
jack in the box ultimate cheese burger

Chief_For_Life58
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM

go to winsteads get a double or triple everything on it onions bacon fried egg ketchup mustard. itll blow your fucking mind. it was the chief for life 58 special when chief for life 58 was younger

Chief_For_Life58
10-12-2012, 01:34 AM
smash burger is alright nothing special try the chicken sandwiches preferably fried. seriously its quite delicious. they got good fries too.

Silock
10-12-2012, 01:41 AM
go to winsteads get a double or triple everything on it onions bacon fried egg ketchup mustard. itll blow your fucking mind. it was the chief for life 58 special when chief for life 58 was younger

Winstead's has gone so downhill. Sucks now.

Chief_For_Life58
10-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Smashburger is good. Similar to Larkburger (are those in KC?), but better, in my opinion. Great chicken sandwiches. I love to hit the one in Dillon on my way back from skiing.

bro you know what to do. head straight to smiling moose get the cheeseburger grinder after sking and make sure you dont have to be the driver. or if you can hold out a bit hit up the little bbq place in idaho springs called smoking yards bbq. both are great

Chief_For_Life58
10-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Winstead's has gone so downhill. Sucks now.

dont ruin my childhood memories

Chest Rockwell
10-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Meh, I guess it's ok but I've been underwhelmed by most of the burger fad chains that have opened up here in the last few years. All are pretty mediocre when compared to the local places like Ray's Hell Burger (http://rayshellburger.com/images/1725_MENU_6-12-12.pdf) (best I've had; dogcatcher is the go to, big pun w/an egg a close second; unfortunately their fries are meh and the sweet potato fries are turrble), Good Stuff, 5 Guys (started here and was a local chain until the past few years), etc.

I'd put them near the top of the better than bad but not quite good chains we have here with Counter and Shake Shack; BGR, The Burger Joint, Elevation and Burger Tap and Shake are all horrible.

Like a few others said, I think Steak n' Shake is better.

Inspector
10-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Wow, I don't think I've had a burger from a restaurant in probably 10 years or longer but after reading this thread, I find myself really craving one now.

I too was under the impression that a patti should be formed, then seared on a hot pan / grill and never get the spatula smash. But I'm guessing there are a lot of different ways to do it and everyone has their own taste preference.

Mmmm, ground grass fed beef, red onion, pickle, lettuce, tomato on a toasted bun with ketchup and spicy brown mustard.

I may have to fire up the grill this weekend.

Psyko Tek
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I hadn't realized they were expanding so much. I have heard a lot of good things about it but still never been.

went wished I had stayed home and grilled one
like wendy's better
and wendy's is not in my top 5 of burger places

Buck
10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Smashburger is the worst Burger place I've been to. If you're in Denver, just go to Red Robin.

Saul Good
10-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Just got back from there. Meh

Simply Red
10-15-2012, 08:01 PM
i will never go back there.

Buck
10-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I went to Smashburger and asked if they did lettuce wrap. They said yes.

I ended up getting about a 1/4 lb patty on one wilted piece of lettuce. With a diet coke I paid over $10. No fries or other sides. I will never eat there again.

tredadda
10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
We have them in FOCO, I need to try them out. I usually frequent either Red Robin or Five Guys when I want a good burger.

Simply Red
10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
go to winsteads get a double or triple everything on it onions bacon fried egg ketchup mustard. itll blow your ****ing mind. it was the chief for life 58 special when chief for life 58 was younger

That waitress hates you, there.

Simply Red
10-15-2012, 08:07 PM
My burger had crispy pieces of over flattopped bullshit.

Tom Ryan can eat a bowl of cock.

Saul Good
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
We have them in FOCO, I need to try them out. I usually frequent either Red Robin or Five Guys when I want a good burger.

Both are better than Smashburger, and it's not close.

Simply Red
10-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Both are better than Smashburger, and it's not close.

yes i agree.

htismaqe
10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
We have Smashburger in Des Moines.

Meh.

TribalElder
10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
get the jalapeno bbq cheddar burger thing

gates bbq sauce with cheddar cheese and jalapenos along with onion straws and bacon if your into swine

it's blap blap