PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Out of the doghouse

Coogs
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/943

Out of the doghouse
When training camp started, the Chiefs were unsure about how much they would get from Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, who was unhappy for most of the off-season with his situation.

The Chiefs demoted wide receiver Dwayne Bowe to third-team early in training camp because of what coach Todd Haley believed was his often lackadaisical attitude.

Both situations have, at least to this point, resolved themselves to Haley's satisfaction. Waters is having a strong camp and is clearly the Chiefs best offensive lineman.

"This is a player that has come in and done above and beyond what has been asked of him every day," Haley said of Waters. "He can obviously play. He’s shown that. He got himself in very good condition, which I think he’s kind of seeing as an advantage."

Meanwhile. Bowe returned to the starting lineup in practice today, joining Devard Darling.

"That’s pretty obvious . . . that you’ve seen a progression from Dwayne that’s encouraging from the early days of camp to where he’s at now. He’s made very good progress. Is he there? No. Does he need to make more plays? Yes.

"That’s what coaching is all about. Trying to push the right buttons all the time with a lot of different guys."

Submitted by Adam Teicher on August 25, 2009 - 1:18pm.

Scorp
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
soooooo.........has Waters at least made the team yet coach?????? :)

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
"That’s what coaching is all about. Trying to push the right buttons all the time with a lot of different guys."

At least Haley isn't flustrated yet

Titty Meat
08-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Why isn't Bradley with the first team? Aside from Bowe he's been the best WR in the games.

googlegoogle
08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Brandon Albert regress?

CoMoChief
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Brandon Albert regress?

Kinda looks like it. Hasn't played too well in the preseason games.

donkhater
08-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Why isn't Bradley with the first team? Aside from Bowe he's been the best WR in the games.

I agree. Darling was good in camp last year as well, then when games started.........nothing. Has our 'starting' WR caught a pass yet in preseason? And why isn't he doing kickoff/punt returns? I remember he was pretty good at that in Baltimore.

Micjones
08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I agree. Darling was good in camp last year as well, then when games started.........nothing. Has our 'starting' WR caught a pass yet in preseason? And why isn't he doing kickoff/punt returns? I remember he was pretty good at that in Baltimore.

He certainly has the speed.
It's curious why he hasn't been given that opportunity.

Mr. Krab
08-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Haley is a old WR coach so we can only assume that Darling looks really good in practice. Eventually he will have to produce in games of they will move on. At this point i think i would rather give Lelie a shot.

ModSocks
08-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Darling has caught several passes in preseason and surely looks the part. He looks to be in outstanding shape and looks very strong, maybe he has even retained some speed.

After watching him in the preseason, the only gripe i have is that he needs to speed up the catch and turn process. There have been a couple of catches where i thought, "WTF is he waiting for? Run!"

Tits McGee
08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Haley is a old WR coach so we can only assume that Darling looks really good in practice. Eventually he will have to produce in games of they will move on. At this point i think i would rather give Lelie a shot.

There is nothing worse than having your head coach come from a position you are currently playing... Everything is doubled; the whistles, ass-chewing, extra set of eyes, etc........

milkman
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Brandon Albert regress?

Waters is a vet that understands how to maximize his talent, while Albert is still in the process of learning the technique at LT, and adjusting to his weight loss.

He, however, has not played poorly, as CoMo suggested.

There has been a breakdown in assignments between he and Charles more than a couple of times, and it makes it appear that Albert is struggling.

He did have one play in which Connor Barwin punked him, but other than that, he's played solidly.

As for Waters, he may be our best lineman, but even though he looks leaner and more fit than he has in years, he still appears to have lost a step.

He's been slow when pulling, and late getting to his block.