PDA

View Full Version : Football Vikes cut WR/KR Glenn Holt

LaChapelle
08-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Vikes dump Glenn Holt

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 1:15 PM ET
I got an e-mail earlier today from a reader who pointed out that the Vikings reportedly had cut receiver Glenn Holt.

My response? "Who in the hell is Glenn Holt?"

As it turns out, he's a fourth-year wideout who spent three seasons with the Bengals. Cincinnati opted not to use a restricted free agency tender to hold his rights for a fourth year, so he signed with the Vikings.

Holt actually started two games last year for the Bengals, appearing in 15 due to his role on special teams as a kick returner. He signed with the Vikings before Percy Harvin was drafted, and on the surface the move suggests that Harvin will indeed have a major role in the return game.

The Vikings recently have now announced the move, and the thing that caught our eye was the absence of another move aimed at filling Holt's spot on the roster. It makes us wonder whether the Vikings are finalizing an effort to improve the corps of pass catchers who'll be available to quarterback Brett Favre.

Marvin Harrison is the most obvious candidate, but we still think he wants much more than any team would be willing to pay. (That said, the Vikings as of last week still had more than $6 million in cap space.)

So how about Matt Jones? Tom Curran pointed out a week or so ago that the 2005 first-rounder's second chance could be coming in a week or so, and I've suddenly got a feeling that the bookend to the release of Holt could be -- emphasize the "could be" -- the arrival of Jones.

It's all rank speculation, admittedly influenced by the fact that the guys at WHBQ in Memphis asked me an hour or so ago why Matt Jones doesn't have a job in the NFL.

Given the fact that Glenn Holt had a job in the NFL until this morning, it seems odd that no one is giving Matt Jones a chance to show what he can do, especially since he had a pretty solid season in 2008 with the Jaguars.

Bane
08-27-2009, 04:25 PM
If we were going to sign a guy named Holt it should have been the other guy...

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2009, 04:28 PM
If we were going to sign a guy named Holt it should have been the other guy...

The other Holt is pretty much done. Rams let him go for a reason.

Bane
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

He looks better than the guys we have to me.Maybe thats why Im not a head coach in the nfl though...LMAO

LaChapelle
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
No Matt Jones love posts?

Pasta Little Brioni
He looks better than the guys we have to me.Maybe thats why Im not a head coach in the nfl though...LMAO

You are no Josh McDaniels that is for sure.

Bane
I wasnt campaigning to sign him by the way,I was just trying to be funny.

Bane
08-27-2009, 04:31 PM
You are no Josh McDaniels that is for sure.

Doggone it!!!!!:cuss:

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I wasnt campaigning to sing him by the way,I was just trying to be funny.

Off on both counts

:D

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-27-2009, 05:48 PM

Yeah. He reminds me of Amani Toomer, Bobby Engram, and Zach Thomas

Mr. Krab
08-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Cut Zach Thomas and put Kolby Smith on PUP then bring in Matt jones and Glenn Holt. His return numbers aren't bad. Although his fumbles in '07 kinda sucked.

<table style="width: 515px; height: 195px;" class="datatablecell" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="datatablehead MINcolors"><td colspan="12">Kick Return
</td> </tr> <tr class="datatabledatahead"> <td width="20">Year</td> <td width="140">Team</td> <td>G</td> <td>Ret</td> <td>Yds</td> <td>Avg</td> <td>Lng</td> <td>TD</td> <td>20+</td> <td>40+</td> <td>FC</td> <td>FUM</td> </tr> <tr class="ltblueback"> <td>2008</td> <td> Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) </td> <td>15</td> <td>46</td> <td>1,110</td> <td>24.1</td> <td>60</td> <td>0</td> <td>28</td> <td>5</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> </tr><tr> </tr><tr class="whiteback"> <td>2007</td> <td> Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) </td> <td>16</td> <td>59</td> <td>1,432</td> <td>24.3</td> <td>100T</td> <td>1</td> <td>37</td> <td>3</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> </tr><tr> </tr><tr class="ltblueback"> <td>2006</td> <td> Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) </td> <td>11</td> <td>17</td> <td>419</td> <td>24.6</td> <td>38</td> <td>0</td> <td>13</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> </tr><tr> </tr><tr class="datatabledatahead"> <td colspan="2">TOTAL</td> <td>42</td> <td>122</td> <td>2,961</td> <td>24.3</td> <td>100</td> <td>1</td> <td>78</td> <td>8</td> <td>1</td> <td>4</td></tr></tbody></table>