PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Larry Johnson says better supporting cast improves his attitude

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Larry Johnson says better supporting cast improves his attitude (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1409983.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

L arry Johnson knows the line he’s walking, and he knows how close he came this last offseason to crossing it. The Chiefs’ occasionally unhappy, occasionally outstanding running back said Thursday that he realized the team could have given up on him during a tumultuous series of months.

“If they wanted to get rid of me,” Johnson said Thursday, “they had a chance to get rid of me.”

The Chiefs held on to Johnson, whose attitude since last season’s finale ranged from sour to desperate to optimistic — or something like it. There’s no doubt that Kansas City needs Johnson’s rushing skills. He’s a big, experienced back who still knows how to exploit weak defenses. A healthy and motivated Johnson could help a Chiefs offense that has few star players, and he also is an essential part of lifting some pressure from quarterback Matt Cassel’s shoulders.

It was the addition of Cassel, and several other promising players, that helped improve Johnson’s attitude, he said Thursday. He said the Chiefs’ blind reliance last year on young players created a culture of losing — and the belief that awful seasons are acceptable for a rebuilding team. Johnson said Thursday that he never agreed with former coach Herm Edwards on that philosophy. Now, Johnson said, the Chiefs’ locker room is filled with known players, some of whom have won at the highest level.

“We didn’t go get guys off the street,” he said. “We actually got guys who have played in the league, were successful in this league and guys that wanted to play. They’re not just settling for 2-14 with a group of guys that were OK and comfortable with being 2-14. They went to get guys who wanted to be 16-0.”

Johnson praised first-time general manager Scott Pioli for acquiring players such as Cassel, linebackers Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas, and wide receivers Amani Toomer and Ashley Lelie. Johnson said that he believes Pioli recognized the Chiefs’ weaknesses and then addressed them. Johnson said that was different than the way Kansas City was run last year.

“Ever since I’ve been here,” he said, “we wouldn’t go get those types of players that we’ve got right now. Having those guys, including Matt Cassel, be a part of the Chiefs, made me excited to be a Chief. We actually feel, with those guys, we’ve got a chance.”

Coach Todd Haley has praised Johnson at times, saying he has done — and said — all the right things since Haley and Pioli joined the Chiefs earlier this year. But Haley has added that he’s waiting to judge Johnson’s actions, particularly if the team or Johnson struggles in 2009.

Johnson said Thursday that he considered life after Kansas City, especially after he said several times during the offseason that the community no longer felt like home. He amended that belief during his impromptu meeting with reporters, saying his anger then was aimed more toward a “handful of people that I have actually encountered that kind of turned their backs on me.”

He didn’t say whether those conflicts were personal or professional in nature, but he indicated that the problems had softened to the point that he could feel happy again in Kansas City. Johnson said during training camp that, in his early meetings with Haley and Pioli, the Chiefs seemed willing to overlook — temporarily, at least — that, in addition to his frustrations with the Chiefs, Johnson was benched and suspended last year after two arrests involving alcohol and women.

Still, Johnson admitted that his future with the Chiefs could be uncertain — but that he thinks he’d have options.

“They can cut me right now,” he said. “Everybody knows in football that there’s no such thing as guaranteed money. They can take it from you today; they could cut me today if they wanted to.

“As (long) as my legs can run, I’m pretty sure I could get a job anywhere else. Maybe not for the money I’m getting right now, but I’d surely be getting paid.”

Johnson, 29, admitted that last year was a reminder that his career, especially now that he’s aging and after a season in which he was phased out of the Chiefs’ offense, is fragile. He said he learned some things the hard way, and whether he meant it Thursday or will believe it in a few months, Johnson said he doesn’t plan to forget those lessons.

“I don’t think it’s a grown-up thing,” he said. “I think it’s more a smart as far as using your head in situations and being able to come into a new situation. You take all that to heart and knowing that they could’ve gotten rid of you, and they kept you. You just play the cards that are dealt you and see where it leads you.”

Titty Meat
08-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Fluf article. I heard a LJ interview today on the radio and dude sounds full of shit.

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Fluf article. I heard a LJ interview today on the radio and dude sounds full of shit.

That's because he is

Titty Meat
08-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Babb only writes fluff articles. After the first pre-season game he was saying there was a QB controversy between Cassel and Thigpen. Last week he wrote how Zach Thomas is such a leader.

HemiEd
08-28-2009, 02:07 AM
That's because he is

Yeah, and I wasn't too impressed with his effort last week. Hopefully, that wasn't a trend.

beach tribe
08-28-2009, 05:58 AM
I Have lost all faith in Larry, sadly.

I think he's just saying the right things because he knows that he won't get this kind of money anywhere else, and he's going to try, and keep himself healthy so he can continue to stay in the league, and collect a paycheck for as long as someone will employ him.
He's going to live off of what he did in 2005, and his obvious talent for as long as he can. He's never going to fight the way he did before, because he knows if he gets hurt, he's done, and no one will pay an injured 30 yr old RB a dime. I think if we could trade him for anything, we should do it.

Don't get me wrong. Larry is a phenomenal talent, and I believe he will have some big games for us. If he breaks a big run early, he will probably try to rack up some yards. If he gets stuffed for a loss on his first carry, I'd let Battle have a shot at it, cause Larry's just gonna butt fuck the o-linemen from that point on.

Bane
08-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah he doesn't get hit,he gives hits!! remember him saying that shit?ROFL

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 06:28 AM
I Have lost all faith in Larry, sadly.

I think he's just saying the right things because he knows that he won't get this kind of money anywhere else, and he's going to try, and keep himself healthy so he can continue to stay in the league, and collect a paycheck for as long as someone will employ him.
He's going to live off of what he did in 2005, and his obvious talent for as long as he can. He's never going to fight the way he did before, because he knows if he gets hurt, he's done, and no one will pay an injured 30 yr old RB a dime. I think if we could trade him for anything, we should do it.

Don't get me wrong. Larry is a phenomenal talent, and I believe he will have some big games for us. If he breaks a big run early, he will probably try to rack up some yards. If he gets stuffed for a loss on his first carry, I'd let Battle have a shot at it, cause Larry's just gonna butt fuck the o-linemen from that point on.

Alot of truth to what your saying here BeachTribe....

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2009, 06:33 AM
People love to hate on Larry, but want to trade/acquire any other team's malcontent. I find this amusing.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 06:36 AM
People love to hate on Larry, but want to trade/acquire any other team's malcontent. I find this amusing.

LMAO

Lets see? A broken down unless running back vs an up and coming stud WR?

Amusing as hell...

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2009, 06:38 AM
LMAO

Lets see? A broken down unless running back vs an up and coming stud WR?

Amusing as hell...

You're full of it.

beach tribe
08-28-2009, 06:43 AM
You're full of it.

Until Larry proves otherwise, that's pretty much what he.

I pray he comes out swinging. I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 06:44 AM
You're full of it.

Then I blame..................................................... YOU!:D

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 06:46 AM

He isnt going to mess up and ruin that contract or check... He is the new Leon for the Chiefs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkIh1R5utY</EMBED>

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2009, 06:57 AM

A lot depends on how the line blocks. After a mediocre 2007 season he averaged 4.5ypc last year.

Bane
08-28-2009, 07:01 AM
A lot depends on how the line blocks. After a mediocre 2007 season he averaged 4.5ypc last year.

He should be well rested that's for sure.I'm thinking 1500 yards and 10 TD's.
Yeah I know I'm dreaming,but what the hell....

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
He should be well rested that's for sure.I'm thinking 1500 yards and 10 TD's.
Yeah I know I'm dreaming,but what the hell....

If he stays healthy, 1200 and 8 is more realistic.

Bane
08-28-2009, 07:04 AM
If he stays healthy, 1200 and 8 is more realistic.

I truly hope so,he has pissed me off in the past but if the line blocks and Cassel plays like the gods say he will LJ should have a good year.He hasn't had a major injury for his age other than hurting his vagina so I hope he gets his ass in gear.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 07:07 AM
I truly hope so,he has pissed me off in the past but if the line blocks and Cassel plays like the gods say he will LJ should have a good year.He hasn't had a major injury for his age other than hurting his vagina so I hope he gets his ass in gear.

maybe pick up a block or two?

Bane
08-28-2009, 07:07 AM
maybe pick up a block or two?

Now that would be something!!!!LMAO

Hoover
08-28-2009, 07:39 AM
So it took Toomer, Thomas and Vrabel to make him happy. Weird

notorious
08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
So it took Toomer, Thomas and Vrabel to make him happy. Weird

Immature minds want guidance.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Immature minds want guidance.

ROFL

Sofa King
08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
"Johnson, 29, admitted that last year was a reminder that his career, especially now that he’s aging and after a season in which he was phased out of the Chiefs’ offense, is fragile"

sounds like pedro cerrano going through his budda stage... "ball in blue sky like lonely snowflake"

Spicy McHaggis
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
“They can cut me right now,” Larry said. “Everybody knows in football that there’s no such thing as guaranteed money. They can take it from you today; they could cut me today if they wanted to.

Well Larry, there is guaranteed money in football. Matthew Stafford is counting 40 million of it right now. But the money is only for people that don't get arrested constantly and violate their contract. So start keep working on that part of this and everything might work out.