PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs' QB Cassel hurt; Seattle beats KC 14-10

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Chiefs' QB Cassel hurt; Seattle beats KC 14-10 (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1412814.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

It was familiar and troubling, another Chiefs starting quarterback being helped off the field because of an injury. And there was Kansas City, turning to Tyler Thigpen again as the replacement.

Matt Cassel was supposed to be the answer. The Chiefs had traded for him in March, signed him to a big contract in June, and hoped he’d emerge as something the team didn’t have last year: a healthy, reliable quarterback with a bright future.

Now, the questions are back.

Cassel was helped to the locker room after the Chiefs’ third offensive play during Saturday’s 14-10 loss against Seattle at Arrowhead Stadium. Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane sacked Cassel from behind, and Cassel fell to the turf grabbing his left leg. He got up slowly but rejoined the huddle before calling a timeout. He was then helped to the locker room and never returned to the Chiefs’ sideline.

The team announced that Cassel had suffered a leg injury and that his return was questionable. Cornerback Brandon Flowers and wide receiver Devard Darling also left because of injuries, spoiling the Chiefs’ preseason home finale and throwing a shadow over the team’s hopes of dramatic improvement after two miserable seasons.

Cassel’s injury was something Kansas City couldn’t afford. He was more valuable than the $28 million guaranteed contract he signed two months ago — he was the future. Cassel was supposed to be the quarterback the Chiefs had waited decades for. And even if he couldn’t become Len Dawson, then he at least wouldn’t be Brodie Croyle or Damon Huard.

It was Croyle and Huard who couldn’t stay healthy last year, their season-ending injuries contributing to the Chiefs’ franchise-worst 2-14 record. Croyle, who once faced expectations similar to the ones Cassel is facing this season, injured his shoulder in the first week last year and then blew out his knee six weeks later in his first week back. Huard suffered a series of mysterious injuries and was placed on injured reserve after the seventh week.

The Chiefs had no choice but to turn to Thigpen. He had his moments last year, but Thigpen didn’t do enough that the Chiefs felt comfortable entering another season with him as the starter. Instead, they acquired Cassel and spent part of the offseason beefing up their offensive line, a project that, if Saturday’s contest was an indication, requires lots more work.

That’s after the Chiefs traded for two more linemen last week, sending an undisclosed 2010 draft pick to Miami for what Kansas City hoped would be some insurance on a line that caused worry last week at Minnesota, and proof Saturday that protecting the Chiefs’ quarterback — whomever that will be — will be a tall order in 2009.

Cassel’s injury happened early enough Saturday that the Chiefs’ night, weekend and maybe the season was soured, but they still hoping to salvage something. The defense looked ready to take a much-needed step forward. First-round draft pick Tyson Jackson had a sack and a tipped pass that turned into Flowers’ interception, which he returned 28 yards for a touchdown.

Then, Flowers was injured, too. He left in the first quarter. Darling hurt his knee and was helped to the locker room in the second quarter. The Chiefs didn’t announce the injuries or status of Flowers or Darling.

Where to turn? The Chiefs wanted to learn something about themselves in their third game, the contest that coach Todd Haley said would be the end of the toughest week of the entire season.

Like he was so many times last year, Thigpen was inconsistent and inaccurate at times, and at others, he was a playmaker whose improvisations at least kept Seattle uncomfortable. He took his share of bumps, the worst coming in the third quarter when he was pushed out of bounds, lost his footing and slammed into some equipment on the Seahawks sideline. As he seemed to always do last year, Thigpen popped up and headed back toward the huddle.

Thigpen left late in the third quarter, giving way to Matt Gutierrez. Thigpen might not have been perfect or accurate or even reliable, but he seems to be something that no other Chiefs passer has been recently: healthy.

Still, he couldn’t lead a scoring drive in his extended audition Saturday after a tumultuous offseason for the third-year pro. Thigpen was demoted to third-team quarterback during training camp, and he was mentioned last week as a potential trading chip. The Chiefs wanted to get a good look at Thigpen, and they got it Saturday — even if it was more than they were hoping for.

And, as usual, it came at an enormous cost.

DBOSHO
08-29-2009, 11:44 PM
i for one am not that concerned about the darling injury...

MikeMaslowski
08-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure if this was covered..as I was ignoring the board until after I watched the game. Why didn't Croyle play? They were talking about how he'd had the best camp of all QB's and didn't stick him in? Confused me a bit. Did I miss something?

Deberg_1990
08-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Why didn't Croyle play?

I think they were trying to showcase Thigpen for a potential trade.

Reerun_KC
08-30-2009, 08:18 AM
I think they were trying to showcase Thigpen for a potential trade.

This is what i heard...

Plus Croyle already has the 2nd locked down...

Reerun_KC
08-30-2009, 08:19 AM
And Thigpen playing last night was epic fail....

Totally trashed his trade value...

Skip Towne
08-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I missed this game. Will it be shown later on NFLN? Or do I want to see it?

milkman
08-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I missed this game. Will it be shown later on NFLN? Or do I want to see it?

The general consensus seems to be that you don't want to see it.

I'm hardcore, though, having watched it last night, and rewatching it now.

tonyetony
08-30-2009, 08:41 AM
The general consensus seems to be that you don't want to see it.

I'm hardcore, though, having watched it last night, and rewatching it now.

Yeah go ahead and watch it, what the hell. You'll enjoy Jamal Charles play, heck he even had great ST tackle.

Our defense played ok at times. There's a few glimmers of hope for the hardcore fans.

Skip Towne
08-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah go ahead and watch it, what the hell. You'll enjoy Jamal Charles play, heck he even had great ST tackle.

Our defense played ok at times. There's a few glimmers of hope for the hardcore fans.

I will watch it if NFLN replays it.