PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli better be on the phone with Runyan

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20090826_Runyan_cleared_to_play__but_return_to_Eagles_unlikely.html

Runyan cleared to play, but return to Eagles unlikely

By PAUL DOMOWITCH
Philadelphia Daily News
pdomo@aol.com

Jon Runyan is ready to play football again. Now he just needs somebody to offer him a contract.

The 35-year-old free-agent offensive tackle, who had microfracture surgery on his right knee in February, was cleared for full contact Monday by Dr. James Andrews, the Birmingham, Ala., orthopedist who operated on him.

"I can play," Runyan said. "I'm not the smoothest in the world right now. But I can still get the job done. We're sure it's healed. Now the biggest thing is just getting back. Getting over the mental aspect of throwing your leg into the ground. And that's only going to happen when you prove to yourself that you can do it.

"You can only do so many drills and run so many sprints. Eventually, you have to get out there and hit somebody and say, 'Wow, it didn't hurt.' "

Runyan, who has started 192 straight regular-season games, has no workouts scheduled with any teams yet, but is confident he will be playing this season.

"It'll definitely happen," he said. "Whether it's next week when everybody's juggling their rosters, or a few weeks after that, I'll wait and see what happens.

"It's just a matter of timing right now. You never know what's going to happen from week to week. Somebody goes down and all of a sudden, [a team] is in a bind. I'm not in a big hurry."

Runyan, who spent nine seasons as the Eagles' starting right tackle, became an unrestricted free agent in March. The Eagles had planned to replace him with guard Shawn Andrews. But Andrews, who missed 14 games last season with a herniated disc in his back, reinjured his back on the first day of training camp and has yet to practice.

Despite Andrews' "Hell, yeah" declaration Monday that he'll be able to play in the Eagles' Sept. 13 season opener against Carolina, that is far from a certainty. Winston Justice will make his third preseason start tomorrow at right tackle for the Eagles.

Coach Andy Reid said 2 weeks ago that he hadn't completely closed the door to the possibility of re-signing Runyan. But they have yet to invite him in for a workout or physical.

Asked yesterday whether the Eagles had any interest in re-signing Runyan, an Eagles executive told the Daily News, "I wouldn't rule it out, but right now, it's unlikely."

Runyan said he is willing to wait for the right offer.

"It has to be right," he said. "Ultimately, the game is about making a bunch of money. If it's not there now, at some point in the first couple months of the season I'm pretty sure it's going to be there. It's just a matter of mentally preparing yourself for that and keeping yourself ready to go."

Runyan and his family live in Mount Laurel, N.J., but he said he will play wherever the best opportunity - and offer - presents itself.

"With the uncertainty over the CBA and everything, I'm probably looking at a 1-year contract," he said. "So what are you looking at? Four-and-a-half months maybe? You can't really turn anything down for 4 1/2 months' work."

KCChiefsMan
08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
sure, why not

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
He's an old vet that knows he'll get a 1-2 year contract at the longest.
And even if he's not 100%, he's still going to be a lot better than McIntosh.

Unless he bombs his physical, I can't see any downside.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Please bring him in! :banghead:

FD
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
"Ultimately, the game is about making a bunch of money. "

Did he really say that? I mean its true, but a bit blunt.

Whatever, sign him.

CrazyPhuD
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Can he reallly still stop any DEs from runyan through our line anymore?

AustinChief
08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Did he really say that? I mean its true, but a bit blunt.

Whatever, sign him.

Jon is a VERY bright guy. I would LOVE to see him brought here, even if only for a year. He brings a nastiness to our line that we sorely lack. Plus, the f*cker owes me a chair from freshman year! (actually, he replaced the one he broke with a nicer one that he stole from one of the student lounges .. so he is a stand up guy in my book)

KcFanInGA
08-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Runyan is smashmouth, we need someone who plays angry on the o-line. I say bring him in.

RealSNR
08-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Kyle Turley, Act II

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Kyle Turley, Act II

He could, easily it seems, be an improvement over what we have....:hmmm:

Just sayin'...

CoMoChief
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Kyle Turley, Act II

I'd be almost willing to say at this point, Kyle Turley would even be an upgrade of what we have right now.

Micjones
08-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Runyan, Jones, Tauscher... Someone must be added to shore up the RT spot.
Otherwise let the QB carousel begin.

salame
08-31-2009, 02:47 AM
Kyle Turley, Act II

I hope not

Pioli Zombie
08-31-2009, 05:23 AM
Ted Kennedy would be an improvement over what they have now
Posted via Mobile Device

Braincase
08-31-2009, 05:53 AM
It can't hurt. If anything, it'll light a fire under a few other losers... er, linemen

SenselessChiefsFan
08-31-2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20090826_Runyan_cleared_to_play__but_return_to_Eagles_unlikely.html

Runyan cleared to play, but return to Eagles unlikely

By PAUL DOMOWITCH
Philadelphia Daily News
pdomo@aol.com

Jon Runyan is ready to play football again. Now he just needs somebody to offer him a contract.

The 35-year-old free-agent offensive tackle, who had microfracture surgery on his right knee in February, was cleared for full contact Monday by Dr. James Andrews, the Birmingham, Ala., orthopedist who operated on him.

"I can play," Runyan said. "I'm not the smoothest in the world right now. But I can still get the job done. We're sure it's healed. Now the biggest thing is just getting back. Getting over the mental aspect of throwing your leg into the ground. And that's only going to happen when you prove to yourself that you can do it.

"You can only do so many drills and run so many sprints. Eventually, you have to get out there and hit somebody and say, 'Wow, it didn't hurt.' "

Runyan, who has started 192 straight regular-season games, has no workouts scheduled with any teams yet, but is confident he will be playing this season.

"It'll definitely happen," he said. "Whether it's next week when everybody's juggling their rosters, or a few weeks after that, I'll wait and see what happens.

"It's just a matter of timing right now. You never know what's going to happen from week to week. Somebody goes down and all of a sudden, [a team] is in a bind. I'm not in a big hurry."

Runyan, who spent nine seasons as the Eagles' starting right tackle, became an unrestricted free agent in March. The Eagles had planned to replace him with guard Shawn Andrews. But Andrews, who missed 14 games last season with a herniated disc in his back, reinjured his back on the first day of training camp and has yet to practice.

Despite Andrews' "Hell, yeah" declaration Monday that he'll be able to play in the Eagles' Sept. 13 season opener against Carolina, that is far from a certainty. Winston Justice will make his third preseason start tomorrow at right tackle for the Eagles.

Coach Andy Reid said 2 weeks ago that he hadn't completely closed the door to the possibility of re-signing Runyan. But they have yet to invite him in for a workout or physical.

Asked yesterday whether the Eagles had any interest in re-signing Runyan, an Eagles executive told the Daily News, "I wouldn't rule it out, but right now, it's unlikely."

Runyan said he is willing to wait for the right offer.

"It has to be right," he said. "Ultimately, the game is about making a bunch of money. If it's not there now, at some point in the first couple months of the season I'm pretty sure it's going to be there. It's just a matter of mentally preparing yourself for that and keeping yourself ready to go."

Runyan and his family live in Mount Laurel, N.J., but he said he will play wherever the best opportunity - and offer - presents itself.

"With the uncertainty over the CBA and everything, I'm probably looking at a 1-year contract," he said. "So what are you looking at? Four-and-a-half months maybe? You can't really turn anything down for 4 1/2 months' work."

After opening day, bring him in. Before opening day, his contract for this year is guaranteed.

I don't think he has anything left, but can't hurt.

Skip Towne
08-31-2009, 07:17 AM
We'd better wait and see what Mecca knows about this guy.

LaChapelle
08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
"Pioli better be on the phone with Runyan"

Isn't this suppose to be followed up by a threat. Like; "I'm going to leave the Planet forever if Pioli doesn't bring in Runyan!"

Easy 6
08-31-2009, 07:48 AM
I'll sign this petition.

His aformentioned 'tude is indeed sorely lacking here right now.

Rooster
08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
They should try to lure Tait out of retirement too. o:-) This o-line is the worst in the league.

The Franchise
08-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Please God bring him in. Move Alleman to Center and Ndukwe to RG. Cut Goff, Niswanger and McIntosh.

TEX
08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
They should try to lure Tait out of retirement too. o:-) This o-line is the worst in the league.

Bar none. Has been among the worst for a couple of seasons now. This is no surprise. Why it was ignored like it was during the off season is beyond me.

Sure-Oz
08-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I say put Pioli at RT