PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock:Just like Chiefs’ offense, Haley’s timing off on firing

Pages : [1] 2

Tribal Warfare
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Just like Chiefs’ offense, Haley’s timing off on firing (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1417178.html)
JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

We know that 22 guys off the street can win two regular-season NFL games. What we don’t know is how many coaches it takes to win one NFL exhibition in Kansas City.

Well, we do know Todd Haley believes the Chiefs can beat the St. Louis Rams on Thursday night without offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Monday morning, Kansas City’s first-year head coach ended a doomed experiment just 13 days before the start of the regular season.

Chan Gailey as offensive play-call suggester was the second-dumbest idea implemented during the brief Scott Egoli era. The dumbest, of course, was signing a Sixty Million Dollar Man to play quarterback and giving him three dollars of pass protection and a collection of three-dollar targets.

Despite their rich football bloodlines, we can now officially say that Haley and Egoli are learning on the job.

The my-way-or-the-highway bluster that seemed so refreshing to some Chiefs fans when Brian Waters was the target now looks like childish arrogance.

If firing a proven and respected offensive coordinator on the last day of August was the right thing to do, then it would have been even more right on the first day of February.

Egoli and Haley were hired because of their alleged ability to be ahead of the curve. There’s nothing cutting-edge about reshaping your offensive coaching staff 13 days before Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and the rest of the Baltimore Ravens attack KC’s out-of-rhythm offense.

This smells of panic and frustration and insecurity.

By midseason, Todd Haley might be coaching the running backs, receivers, tight ends and offensive line. The first-time head coach thinks he can develop the quarterbacks, coordinate the offense, call plays, oversee the entire team and bow to Egoli’s wishes, too.

It makes no sense.

Unless you understand that Egoli and Haley believe they’re Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano, the architects of Miami’s 1-15-to-11-5 turnaround.

Scott Egoli and Todd Haley traveled to River Falls, Wis., with the sincere belief they had an eight-win roster and, with the right breaks, a 10-6 playoff contender.

If 22 guys off the street can win two games, you think their handpicked acquisitions of Mike Vrabel, Zach Thomas, Matt Cassel, Bobby Engram, Ashley Lelie, Mike Goff and Mike Brown couldn’t win eight?

Firing Chan Gailey two weeks before the opener is a win-now decision.

The prudent, political decision would have been to hold on to Gailey until midseason and axe him during the bye week in late October. No one would blame Haley for that. He could avoid responsibility for Kansas City’s offensive woes by suggesting that he and Gailey just couldn’t get on the same page.

Now, whatever happens with Kansas City’s offense will go on Haley’s head-coaching résumé. He’s increased his risk, and it’s hard for me to see the reward.

Short of acquiring a go-to speed receiver, a right guard and tackle, I can’t imagine the Chiefs fielding an offense much better than the unit that stunk up Arrowhead Stadium last season.

Should Haley give up? No. Should he have kept Gailey as coordinator even though it wasn’t working? Probably not, but I could argue either direction.

What Haley needs to do is tone down the arrogance. Football is a game that constantly humbles its participants.

Three plays into the preseason’s most important exhibition, Haley lost his starting quarterback, Matt Cassel. Everybody on the offense had to adjust. Kansas City’s offense sputtered against the Seahawks. Given the circumstances, that’s pretty understandable.

Dumping Gailey 48 hours later is not a move that instills confidence. It creates fear, confusion and distrust. It’s a move that paints Haley as a hothead.

Haley isn’t Bill Parcells. He doesn’t have Parcells’ leverage. When Parcells ruled the sidelines with an iron fist, he was the most powerful man in his organization.

Scott Egoli has the most power in the Chiefs organization. And he set the tone for the petulant arrogance that has permeated Haley’s first six months as a head coach.

Reerun_KC
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Never saw this article coming....

How clever...

Hammock Parties
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Scott EgoliTerrible.

The dumbest, of course, was signing a Sixty Million Dollar Man to play quarterback and giving him three dollars of pass protection and a collection of three-dollar targets.

High five.

Hammock Parties
08-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Whitlock got a little nasty.

He was NEVER this nasty with his boyfriend Herm.

A little biased?

Just Passin' By
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Does this guy ever write a decent sports article anymore?

Hammock Parties
08-31-2009, 10:44 PM

I enjoyed it apart from the awful play on Pioli's last name.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
He's right.

Of course, that's blatantly obvious to anyone who's followed each and every move the Chiefs have made since Pioli's hiring.

Reerun_KC
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM

A little biased?

Would race have anything to do with it? Or was it the fact that JW's boy toy paid special attention to him (and brought him doughnuts and bbq).

Hammock Parties
08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Would race have anything to do with it? Or was it the fact that JW's boy toy paid special attention to him (and brought him doughnuts and bbq).

I don't know, but Whitlock never had to answer for the fact that he supported Herm so blindly for so long.

Considering Carl practically created Herm in a lab, it seems rather hypocritical.

Bugeater
08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Scott Egoli and Todd Haley traveled to River Falls, Wis., with the sincere belief they had an eight-win roster and, with the right breaks, a 10-6 playoff contender.
ROFL

BigChiefFan
08-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Shock journalism that gave zero insight.

wild1
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't believe for one second they thought they had a 10 win team with a little luck.

You're telling me that these two men, who have been around the league for 30 or 40 years between them, don't know the difference between a possible playoff team (in the weak AFC West) and a team that can't even do the most basic things on offense, a team that looks like a 2-4 win team right now?

On defense, things don't look so bad. At receiver, there aren't any pro bowlers but they are working hard to put maturity into Bowe and there are some veterans who know what to do at least.

We have a QB, which this rudderless franchise hasn't had since Trent Green was almost decapitated by the albatross hanging around Herm Edwards' neck.

They've put some pieces in place. You can't fix the whole roster in one year.

I think that they were mistaken about the offensive line. They never could have guessed these guys would be so pathetic. Personally, I'm not convinced that the opening day RG and RT are on the roster right now.

Hammock Parties
08-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Hamas is ghost-writing Whitlock now.

wazu
Personally, I'm not convinced that the opening day RG and RT are on the roster right now.

I was with you until I saw this little bit of denial.

DaneMcCloud
But on defense, things don't look so bad.

You need to stop smoking crack.

366 yards against Seattle, a 4-12 team last year, through three quarters.

If the Chiefs defense isn't ranked number 31 this year, it's because it's ranked number 32.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM

You think they are on the roster?

Then the Chiefs better keep 10 QB's because they're going to need them.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Hamas is ghost-writing Whitlock now.

That's insulting to Hamas

wazu
08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
You think they are on the roster?

Then the Chiefs better keep 10 QB's because they're going to need them.

You think they aren't? Who are they going to hire and get up to speed over the next two weeks? They just traded for two O-linemen last week. Time to face a brutal fact:

This is our O-line for 2009.

Hammock Parties
08-31-2009, 11:05 PM
That's insulting to Hamas

He can't be too obvious. Whitlock isn't supposed to use 50-cent words.

brophog
08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
You think they aren't? Who are they going to hire and get up to speed over the next two weeks? They just traded for two O-linemen last week. Time to face a brutal fact:

This is our O-line for 2009.

Not if they don't perform.

Timing means nothing to these guys. You don't perform and you're gone. They don't care when. They don't care how.

You need to realize this, and in a hurry. Every other word out of their mouths, and certainly every action they take, suggests you are wrong. They say they will keep looking, they have kept looking, and they are replacing anyone, coach or player, in that endeavor.

Whether it ultimately works or not is up for some debate, but the fact they will keep replacing players is most certainly not.

BigRock
08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
The prudent, political decision would have been to hold on to Gailey until midseason and axe him during the bye week in late October. No one would blame Haley for that. He could avoid responsibility for Kansas City’s offensive woes by suggesting that he and Gailey just couldn’t get on the same page.

Translation:

What the head coach should have done was cover his own ass, and then when it was convienent, used an underling as a scapegoat. Of course, when I first started out as a writer, I would have rallied against coaches like that, and put all my support behind those who were willing to do things a different way.

Sadly, though, I've lost all perspective over the years and have become mostly useless. But please keep reading anyway.

wazu
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Not if they don't perform.

Timing means nothing to these guys. You don't perform and you're gone. They don't care when. They don't care how.

You need to realize this, and in a hurry. Every other word out of their mouths, and certainly every action they take, suggests you are wrong. They say they will keep looking, they have kept looking, and they are replacing anyone, coach or player, in that endeavor.

Whether it ultimately works or not is up for some debate, but the fact they will keep replacing players is most certainly not.

Simply rotating in loser after loser and firing them on a rotating basis isn't going to accomplish anything. The time to act would have been the draft, when Pioli decided to stand "Pat" and ignore O-line round after round. Hiring and firing scrubs all year won't make up for it.

Just Passin' By
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Simply rotating in loser after loser and firing them on a rotating basis isn't going to accomplish anything. The time to act would have been the draft, when Pioli decided to stand "Pat" and ignore O-line round after round. Hiring and firing scrubs all year won't make up for it.

Pioli decided to stand pat? He didn't use any of his draft picks?

kcxiv
08-31-2009, 11:21 PM

A little biased?Because of his hatred for Carl. Everything was Carls Fault. To a point it was, but Herm had his part in it as well.

wazu
08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Pioli decided to stand pat? He didn't use any of his draft picks?

Okay, maybe poor choice of words. He should have drafted a lineman before Round 5.

And we also should have signed Houshmandzadeh.

wild1
08-31-2009, 11:27 PM

It was more hopeful than realistic, I admit. As sad as the state is, a backup from another team would upgrade our line. It could happen.

Something less than hope springs eternal

stevieray
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
round and round it goes where it stops nobody knows..

whoo..uh ..cough.

Just Passin' By
08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Okay, maybe poor choice of words. He should have drafted a lineman before Round 5.

And we also should have signed Houshmandzadeh.

1.) Housh will be 32 years old at the end of this month, and he signed a 5 year deal with Seattle for about $40 million. Kansas City would have needed to top that, which would have made no sense given how much of an overhaul the team needs.

2.) Most offensive linemen, especially those drafted in the lower rounds, don't start in their rookie seasons, especially at the beginning of the season. As I pointed out in another thread, last year there were 8 offensive linemen drafted in the 4th round. Of the 8, only 2 had any starts at all, and they combined for a total of 8 starts. Drafting O-linemen this season was not going to fix the offensive line this season.

No matter who Pioli drafted this year, this team was not going to become a contender in one offseason. If Pioli had focused on the offensive line, there'd be a chorus of "Why didn't he fix the defense first?".

Whitlock's just stirring shit. Sadly, far too many Chiefs fans are buying into his line of crap.

Chieftain58
08-31-2009, 11:40 PM
fatty has a job from controversy

morphius
08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm still sticking to my theory that this is a move to show everyone else that they are not going to take losing, period. No GRob's for multiple season here. It also lets the players know that they are not the only one's being held accountable, and there is nothing more discouraging than your higher ups being tough on you, but giving their own a free pass. This pretty much puts everyone in the same boat.

wazu
08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Whitlock's just stirring shit. Sadly, far too many Chiefs fans are buying into his line of crap.

I actually think Whitlock's angle on all of this has been off-mark, and I'm usually a fan of his work. To me the lack of free agent activity was pretty glaring this offseason considering how ridiculously far we are under the cap. But criticizing anything Haley has done so far seems pretty silly.

Mecca
08-31-2009, 11:53 PM
It's not just Whitlock..on NFL Live Marcellus Wiley basically said the Chiefs were in a state of chaos.

Then basically said no matter how great of a playcaller he thinks he is Fitzgerald and Boldin aren't with him to make it go anymore.

wazu
09-01-2009, 12:03 AM
It's not just Whitlock..on NFL Live Marcellus Wiley basically said the Chiefs were in a state of chaos.

Then basically said no matter how great of a playcaller he thinks he is Fitzgerald and Boldin aren't with him to make it go anymore.

So what? Should he not even try? If he believes he can make it better, he should do it. Is Haley supposed to just pout and sulk because he finds himself in the unique situation of being a rookie head coach who inherited a team that isn't Superbowl-caliber?

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't care that he wants to call plays...but you don't fire a guy 2 weeks before the season that is just not something you do.

If you want to call plays you hire someone to be OC that designs gameplans, Andy Reid calls plays...his OC designs gameplans. The HC has alot of responsibility he can't be just an offensive coordinator.

This is a move you make in February not August.

I don't even like Chan Gailey but the move speaks of short sightedness more than anything.

The best head coaches hire quality assistants and let them do their jobs, they don't take over all of the responsibility thinking they can do it better like some egomaniac control freak, all that will lead to is burnout and failure.

wazu
09-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't care that he wants to call plays...but you don't fire a guy 2 weeks before the season that is just not something you do.

If you want to call plays you hire someone to be OC that designs gameplans, Andy Reid calls plays...his OC designs gameplans. The HC has alot of responsibility he can't be just an offensive coordinator.

This is a move you make in February not August.

I don't even like Chan Gailey but the move speaks of short sightedness more than anything.

The best head coaches hire quality assistants and let them do their jobs, they don't take over all of the responsibility thinking they can do it better like some egomaniac control freak, all that will lead to is burnout and failure.

So let's assume Haley went into this with as open a mind as he could have. He respected Gailey, and wanted to give it a chance. But then he got his first taste of game planning and play calling as a head coach, and the flow of it just didn't feel right. He needs to write the game plan and call the plays to take advantage of his own strengths as a coach. He recognizes that it was a mistake to keep Gailey on, and yes, he should have dismissed him in February. Should he have let Gailey keep the reigns for 2009 just to be a good guy?

It's not pleasant, but Gailey isn't going to starve to death. He'll be hired in a heartbeat in 2010 and will probably receive all his money for 2009.

L.A. Chieffan
09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
I havent been around since yesterday. Did i miss something?

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I don't care about Chan Gailey that isn't my problem and I don't care about record the team is bad nothing is going to change that.

I do care that Haley's approach seems is one that more often than not doesn't work over the long haul.

L.A. Chieffan
09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
gailey sucks but this team is a goddamn tirefire wrapped in a clusterfuck

wazu
09-01-2009, 12:22 AM
I do care that Haley's approach seems is one that more often than not doesn't work over the long haul.

So far his approach reminds me of Mike Shanahan. In the long run I think it will be unique to Todd Haley, though. I don't see any reason to make the call now that it won't work over the long haul.

Just Passin' By
09-01-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't care about Chan Gailey that isn't my problem and I don't care about record the team is bad nothing is going to change that.

What are you basing this assertion upon?

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:24 AM
He's being extremely impatient and his reaction to that is to put himself in the role. He is confident in himself that's great, but he can't do everything.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 12:25 AM
So let's assume Haley went into this with as open a mind as he could have. He respected Gailey, and wanted to give it a chance. But then he got his first taste of game planning and play calling as a head coach, and the flow of it just didn't feel right. He needs to write the game plan and call the plays to take advantage of his own strengths as a coach. He recognizes that it was a mistake to keep Gailey on, and yes, he should have dismissed him in February. Should he have let Gailey keep the reigns for 2009 just to be a good guy?

It's not pleasant, but Gailey isn't going to starve to death. He'll be hired in a heartbeat in 2010 and will probably receive all his money for 2009.

If you plan to go into this with an open mind you might wnt to base your opinion on more than 3 preseason games...

wazu
09-01-2009, 12:26 AM
He's being extremely impatient and his reaction to that is to put himself in the role. He is confident in himself that's great, but he can't do everything.

I'll grant you the impatience. Gotta say, though. Seeing an impatient coach for the Chiefs is a relief. Marty, Gunther, Vermeil, Herm. One thing they all seemed to have an excess of was patience. Oh, the patience. Yeah. Yeah.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:27 AM

What the Fuck ever.

It reeks of amateurism and a lack of confidence.

The Chiefs weren't going to win TWO FUCKING GAMES this year, regardless of who is calling plays.

This move is just plain UNCOOL.

Get it?

Not very "head-coach-like".

jAZ
09-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Glen Parker (former Chief OT) hosts a radio program in Tucson and I called in to talk Chiefs with him the other day. Asked about Haley. He said that the biggest mistakes young head coaches make are

(1) weak on dicipline (not an issue with Haley), but...

(2) trusting and empowering your assistants

That's what he's most concerned about with Haley. This move doesn't look good in that sense. Haley's comment about it today seemed to at least acknowledge the need to rely on his AC's.

We'll see.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I think Haley always planned to call plays and that is fine but he should have hired someone to be called OC that designed gameplans atleast with him to take some of that load.

DaneMcCloud
So far his approach reminds me of Mike Shanahan. In the long run I think it will be unique to Todd Haley, though. I don't see any reason to make the call now that it won't work over the long haul.

Name the last successful head coach that was also the offensive coordinator AND the QB coach.

I'll be waiting.

wazu
The Chiefs weren't going to win TWO FUCKING GAMES this year, regardless of who is calling plays.

If that's what you think, then who the fuck cares? If we're going 1-15 or 0-16 this year, please just fire them all right now.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
If that's what you think, then who the fuck cares? If we're going 1-15 or 0-16 this year, please just fire them all right now.

Are you fucking kidding me?

With or without Gailey, this team was only going to win one or two games.

Have you even been following the Chiefs until now?

Mecca
Andy Reid has always called plays in Philly but he's also always had an OC to help him...first Brad Childress now Marty Morningweg.

Mecca

You can put the best coaching staff in the league on this team and it's a 5 win team.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Andy Reid has always called plays in Philly but he's also always had an OC to help him...first Brad Childress now Marty Morningweg.

It makes me absolutely SICK that you and I have to keep re-iterating this fact.

And Kubiak (the guy that had the #3 offense in the NFL last year) was the offensive coordinator in Denver for fucking ever, NEVER called the plays.

That was Shanahan.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
You can put the best coaching staff in the league on this team and it's a 5 win team.

If you dug up Bill Walsh

Just Passin' By
09-01-2009, 12:33 AM

No, this is your interpretation of what happened. Go back and see what he said when the team initially decided to keep Gailey calling plays:

Haley will set aside those abilities, at least to start the season. Haley reserved the right to take over later in the season but said Monday that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey would call the plays.

“This wasn’t a decision that was made quickly,” Haley said. “I put a lot of thought into it. Chan will call the plays as I see it right now. This is all part of the learning process of trying to get it right. That’s where we’ll start from, and I would say that’s the way we’ll go into the season.”

This was a possibility from the very start. What you're calling impatient was months in developing. I don't know the exact reason for the move, but it's not as if this was never an option in the past and just came out of the blue.

Just Passin' By
09-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Name the last successful head coach that was also the offensive coordinator AND the QB coach.

I'll be waiting.

Bill Belichick has done it.

Edit: Nevermind. McDaniels had the QB coach title in the year I was thinking about. Maybe I'll think about this for tomorrow, but I've got to run.

splatbass
09-01-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm still sticking to my theory that this is a move to show everyone else that they are not going to take losing, period. No GRob's for multiple season here. It also lets the players know that they are not the only one's being held accountable, and there is nothing more discouraging than your higher ups being tough on you, but giving their own a free pass. This pretty much puts everyone in the same boat.

I agree with this. He is sending a message to the players (and coaches) that no one is safe. That they better perform or they are gone.

wazu
09-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?

With or without Gailey, this team was only going to win one or two games.

Have you even been following the Chiefs until now?

The Chiefs will win more than two games.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:35 AM

Yeah, right.

You clearly haven't been paying attention.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 12:36 AM

Not with this line...

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 12:37 AM
JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY
Monday morning, Kansas City’s first-year head coach ended a doomed experiment just 13 days before the start of the regular season.

So, you admit that it wasn't going to work, but let's spend the rest of the column ripping it anyway.

Chan Gailey as offensive play-call suggester was the second-dumbest idea implemented during the brief Scott Egoli era. The dumbest, of course, was signing a Sixty Million Dollar Man to play quarterback and giving him three dollars of pass protection and a collection of three-dollar targets.

So we should avoid signing potential cornerstones to the franchise because all the pieces are not in place. Let's instead wait two or three years, get all the pieces in place, and THEN go ask Brett Favre to come out of retirement instead of getting a young QB under contract and asking him to grow with the franchise and be a leader.

Firing Chan Gailey two weeks before the opener is a win-now decision.

So, we're supposed to wait two years to win? Don't bother trying to win now? Isn't that the philosophy Herm followed the last two years? And look where it got him and the Chiefs.

Now, whatever happens with Kansas City’s offense will go on Haley’s head-coaching résumé. He’s increased his risk, and it’s hard for me to see the reward.

OK, so let me get this straight, we're going to rip Haley for being supposedly arrogant, yet we're also going to rip him for wanting to be accountable for what goes on with this football team. What is it Jason, you want a meek coward who will hid behind people he will uses as scapegoats to be the head coach? Because you just basically suggested that Haley shouldn't be thinking about winning now and should have kept Gailey to use him as an excuse for any failures. Glad you're not running the team.

Three plays into the preseason’s most important exhibition, Haley lost his starting quarterback, Matt Cassel. Everybody on the offense had to adjust. Kansas City’s offense sputtered against the Seahawks. Given the circumstances, that’s pretty understandable.

Dumping Gailey 48 hours later is not a move that instills confidence. It creates fear, confusion and distrust. It’s a move that paints Haley as a hothead.

Given the circumstances that's understandable? No, it is not. I am sick and tired of this franchise losing football games and I am all for doing whatever it takes to win football games, not sitting back, saying it's understandable, saying that a coach should have kept his OC even though he wasn't a good fit so that he could fire him a few weeks into the season and use him as a scapegoat.

I'm not seeing much arrogance, probably because I'm not the one who cares whether or not Pioli and Haley give me information. I'm just seeing a guy trying to win some football games. And if that means the coach is going to sink or swim by putting the target on himself, well that is preferable to me than the coward you suggest Haley should be...

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I want to know what head coach calls plays and also has the OC title?

I don't care that Haley calls plays but they should have hired an OC he could work with that if he decided to call plays would remain on staff to work on gameplans etc.

Rausch
I agree with this. He is sending a message to the players (and coaches) that no one is safe. That they better perform or they are gone.

Then why not cut any of our horrid RT's?...

DaneMcCloud
Not with this line...

Or this defense.

Or these receivers.

Or these running backs.

Or these linebackers.

Or these nose tackles.

Or these punt returners.

Or these kick returners.

wazu
Not with this line...

Seriously if any of you really believe we won't win 3 games this year, we need to start placing bets. We play the Raiders twice, and the Broncos twice.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
So, you admit that it wasn't going to work, but let's spend the rest of the column ripping it anyway.

So we should avoid signing potential cornerstones to the franchise because all the pieces are not in place. Let's instead wait two or three years, get all the pieces in place, and THEN go ask Brett Favre to come out of retirement instead of getting a young QB under contract and asking him to grow with the franchise and be a leader.

So, we're supposed to wait two years to win? Don't bother trying to win now? Isn't that the philosophy Herm followed the last two years? And look where it got him and the Chiefs.

OK, so let me get this straight, we're going to rip Haley for being supposedly arrogant, yet we're also going to rip him for wanting to be accountable for what goes on with this football team. What is it Jason, you want a meek coward who will hid behind people he will uses as scapegoats to be the head coach? Because you just basically suggested that Haley shouldn't be thinking about winning now and should have kept Gailey to use him as an excuse for any failures. Glad you're not running the team.

Given the circumstances that's understandable? No, it is not. I am sick and tired of this franchise losing football games and I am all for doing whatever it takes to win football games, not sitting back, saying it's understandable, saying that a coach should have kept his OC even though he wasn't a good fit so that he could fire him a few weeks into the season and use him as a scapegoat.

I'm not seeing much arrogance, probably because I'm not the one who cares whether or not Pioli and Haley give me information. I'm just seeing a guy trying to win some football games. And if that means the coach is going to sink or swim by putting the target on himself, well that is preferable to me than the coward you suggest Haley should be...

Great F'ing Post :clap:

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:39 AM

You can be sick and tired all you want as long as the Chiefs sit at the bottom of the league in talent level they are going to continue to lose a majority of their games.

It takes talent to win.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Seriously if any of you really believe we won't win 3 games this year, we need to start placing bets. We play the Raiders twice, and the Broncos twice.

We're every bit as bad as those teams are...

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:42 AM

This move isn't going to work.

Haley will be lucky to win two games and he's likely to burn out himself and the offensive players.

It's TOO much responsibility for anyone, let alone a first year head coach taking over possibly the worst team in football who's also a father of five.

To me, it sounds like Dick Vermeil in Philadelphia all over again.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:44 AM

LMAO

The Broncos have probably the best offensive line in the AFC West. They may have the best running back. With Brandon Marshall, they hands down have the best receiving corp. Their defense is not too shabby, either.

The Raiders, despite their management, have more talent than the Chiefs. All they need to do is run McFadden up the middle all day long against the Chiefs and they win by three touchdowns. Throw in Garcia and the Chiefs lose big.

Where have you been all offseason that you are so completely unaware?

wazu
09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
We're every bit as bad as those teams are...

I'd say we've got the best coach of the three, and the best QB of the three. Our back-up QBs are probably better than any that the other two have as well. We won't run the table, but there are two wins in there pretty easily.

splatbass
09-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Then why not cut any of our horrid RT's?...

Because he can't play RT?

B_Ambuehl
Egoli. LoL I love it.

Best article I've seen in a while.

DaneMcCloud
I'd say we've got the best coach of the three, and the best QB of the three.

Based on what, exactly?

Our back-up QBs are probably better than any that the other two have as well. We won't run the table, but there are two wins in there pretty easily.

Huh?

I'd take Jeff Garcia, a guy who has won EVERYWHERE, over Croyle or Thigpen.

And Chris Simms has a won more games that Croyle and Thigpen combined.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 12:47 AM
LMAO

The Broncos have probably the best offensive line in the AFC West. They may have the best running back. With Brandon Marshall, they hands down have the best receiving corp. Their defense is not too shabby, either.

The Raiders, despite their management, have more talent than the Chiefs. All they need to do is run McFadden up the middle all day long against the Chiefs and they win by three touchdowns. Throw in Garcia and the Chiefs lose big.

Where have you been all offseason that you are so completely unaware?

wow you lost me at "the broncos defense isn't too shabby" it's incredibly fucking shabby

Mecca
I'd say we've got the best coach of the three, and the best QB of the three. Our back-up QBs are probably better than any that the other two have as well. We won't run the table, but there are two wins in there pretty easily.

Nothing is easy for a bad team, the problem the Chiefs have is those teams can run the ball and the Chiefs as of now have major problems with that because they have no NT.

Can they win some of those games? Sure, but acting like they are no brainers isn't the case.

DaneMcCloud
wow you lost me at "the broncos defense isn't too shabby" it's incredibly fucking shabby

Not compared to the Raiders and Chiefs

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 12:48 AM
You can be sick and tired all you want as long as the Chiefs sit at the bottom of the league in talent level they are going to continue to lose a majority of their games.

It takes talent to win.

Teams don't become super talented overnight. What were the Pats in Belichik's first year, 5-11? You reach elite status once you get that super talented core in place.

But any team in the NFL can win. Everyone has enough talent to win. It really comes down to how much the players want to work to get victory, and how well the coaches put the players in a position to succeed. Everyone can harp on the Chiefs winning 2 games last year, but they were also the team that was in a lot of games in the fourth quarter, and was two points away from sweeping the supposedly most talented team in the NFL, the San Diego Chargers. So don't use talent as a crutch...

Rausch

Honestly, this year is set up for disaster.
We can't even escape the preseason without injuring 2 QB's and firing our OC. Our line looks even worse than last year, we've traded Gonzo, and we've put in new offensive and defensive schemes.

Mecca

Elvis Dumervil looks like he can play in the defense he's about the only one but right now any pass rusher seems to be able to own the Chiefs.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Teams don't become super talented overnight. What were the Pats in Belichik's first year, 5-11? You reach elite status once you get that super talented core in place.

But any team in the NFL can win. Everyone has enough talent to win. It really comes down to how much the players want to work to get victory, and how well the coaches put the players in a position to succeed. Everyone can harp on the Chiefs winning 2 games last year, but they were also the team that was in a lot of games in the fourth quarter, and was two points away from sweeping the supposedly most talented team in the NFL, the San Diego Chargers. So don't use talent as a crutch...

Please tell me you don't have 8-8 expectations.

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 12:50 AM

I don't care that Haley calls plays but they should have hired an OC he could work with that if he decided to call plays would remain on staff to work on gameplans etc.

Reid calls his own plays. Carthon will probably help with the game plan.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Reid calls his own plays. Carthon will probably help with the game plan.

I pointed this out earlier, he calls plays but has an OC on staff that helps majorly with all of the offensive things.

First it was Brad Childress and then when he left they hired Marty Morningweg. Reid doesn't have the HC and OC titles.

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 12:53 AM
I pointed this out earlier, he calls plays but has an OC on staff that helps majorly with all of the offensive things.

First it was Brad Childress and then when he left they hired Marty Morningweg. Reid doesn't have the HC and OC titles.

Carthon will be the childress/mournignweg though.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM

He already has another job on the staff......the Chiefs don't have enough coaches, they're going to be overworking these guys.

Either Haley has no confidence in assistants or the Chiefs are being cheap about coaching staff payroll.

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM
This move isn't going to work.

Haley will be lucky to win two games and he's likely to burn out himself and the offensive players.

It's TOO much responsibility for anyone, let alone a first year head coach taking over possibly the worst team in football who's also a father of five.

To me, it sounds like Dick Vermeil in Philadelphia all over again.

It may be, but we'd be fooling ourselves if we thought Haley was going to do everything himself. He'll probably have Carthon and Ward work on putting together the gameplan during the week, and add his input and call the plays on gameday. He'll probably also have Sirriani helping him out with the QB's throughout the year. This doesn't strike me as something that he plans to do by himself all year, he's most likely going to be drawing on his staff to help him out, but at the end of the day he wants to put his own stamp on it. I highly doubt it carries over into next year, at year end he probably hires some people.

What I'm really curious to see is if the defense doesn't improve, will he can Pendergast after the year and bring in Crennel? Because really, to me this move sets the standard that if you aren't producing up to the HC's standard, be it as a player or a coach, you are gone. And at the end of the day, Haley is going to be accountable for the W's and L's out there...

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Then the Chiefs will have the 33rd ranked offense.

Carthon is absolutely awful.

Seriously, I don't know how the guy has a job after Detroit and Cleveland, two incredibly sucky ass offenses.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Also considering how awful Carthon was as an OC and how little experience Ward has...that's rather frightening.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:56 AM

Seriously, I don't know how the guy has a job after Detroit and Cleveland, two incredibly sucky ass offenses.

Cause he played for Parcells and was on the Dallas staff so he's in that tree so he'll be repeatedly rehired no matter how bad he is.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 12:56 AM
He already has another job on the staff......the Chiefs don't have enough coaches, they're going to be overworking these guys.

Either Haley has no confidence in assistants or the Chiefs are being cheap about coaching staff payroll.

Reminds me of Gunther: more ME = more wins...

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 12:57 AM

Yea and the more things change they stay the same. Carthon is friends with Haley.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Yea and the more things change they stay the same. Carthon is friends with Haley.

Probably from Dallas under Parcells eh?

DaWolf

They mentioned Joel Collier was going to move back down in some capacity to help with the coaching. He's a former DB, WR, and RB coach...

Rausch
Cause he played for Parcells and was on the Dallas staff so he's in that tree so he'll be repeatedly rehired no matter how bad he is.

Wait, I thought this staff was all about dumping underachievers and not blind loyalty?...

Mecca
Here's a nice Parcells/Haley moment..

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7953/haleypunch1.gif

Mecca
09-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Wait, I thought this staff was all about dumping underachievers and not blind loyalty?...

Yea that's a load of crap, we went from one coaching tree gold ole boy network to another one.

Titty Meat
Probably from Dallas under Parcells eh?

Sorry you posted that while I was typing but yea look at how it's the new good ol' boys club. The way this regime has fixed the o-line says alot.

DaWolf
Also considering how awful Carthon was as an OC and how little experience Ward has...that's rather frightening.

No argument there. I want no part of Carthon calling plays, that would be more painful than watching a Solari offense...

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Yea that's a load of crap, we went from one coaching tree gold ole boy network to another one.

Damn you lol

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Can we just bring Al Saunders back?

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:02 AM

No he was the reason the defense sucked cuz the Chiefs would score too many points.

DaWolf

Cause he's been so successful since he left...

tk13
Haha, some of you guys could not be any more negative. It is seriously hilarious. Does having the OC title really matter? It's just a title. I highly doubt Haley is going to put together the gameplan with no input from the other coaches. "RAR! STAY BACK! THIS IS MY OFFENSE! YOU NO TOUCH! [bites Maurice Carthon's hand off]"

There are a ton of head coaches who call plays. Reid, Shanahan, Holmgren, McCarthy, Peyton, Martz. A lot of offensive coaches do it. Sure it's a tough challenge but it's not like he's jumping out some whacked out limb that's never been done before. Plenty of guys have done it and been successful on offense.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
But any team in the NFL can win.

The Chiefs probably don't have enough talent to win ONE game.

THAT'S why Haley took all this shit under his wing.

He realized it and thought he might be able to avoid a winless season.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:04 AM
There are a ton of head coaches who call plays. Reid, Shanahan, Holmgren, McCarthy, Peyton, Martz. A lot of offensive coaches do it. Sure it's a tough challenge but it's not like he's jumping out some whacked out limb that's never been done before. Plenty of guys have done it and been successful on offense.

Hey Dummy, they all have (had) offensive coordinator and quarterback coaches.

Mecca
Cause he's been so successful since he left...

Well he's with the Rams but he's a much better offensive mind than anything we're working with here for assistant coaches.

Titty Meat
Haha, some of you guys could not be any more negative. It is seriously hilarious. Does having the OC title really matter? It's just a title. I highly doubt Haley is going to put together the gameplan with no input from the other coaches. "RAR! STAY BACK! THIS IS MY OFFENSE! YOU NO TOUCH! [bites Maurice Carthon's hand off]"

Cool half the coaches you mentioned that call there own plays aren't even coaches anymore. And the fans should be negative. Pioli paid 63 mil for a QB and gave him a shitty o-line, shitty Wr's, and gets rid of the OC 3 games into the pre-season. Tell me how any of that makes sense?

Mecca
When he said Peyton, I thought he meant Peyton Manning there for a moment since the guy is basically his teams OC, that's a time when you don't need one.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:06 AM
When he said Peyton, I thought he meant Peyton Manning there for a moment since the guy is basically his teams OC, that's a time when you don't need one.

Tom Moore had been the OC with Indy for a decade until this year.

Now, he's an "adviser".

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Tom Moore had been the OC with Indy for a decade until this year.

Now, he's an "adviser".

Yea, I'm guessing Peyton Manning is calling every one of their plays this year, being his OC must be the easiest job in the world.

tk13
09-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Kubiak does it, Childress does it. Norv Turner did it in San Diego. I don't have the whole list. I know as of last year... of the 15 head coaches with an offensive background, something like 11 of them called their own plays. And I think Shanahan and Holmgren were not good GM's, that's why they aren't head coaches. But they were good offensive minds.

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Well he's with the Rams but he's a much better offensive mind than anything we're working with here for assistant coaches.

Used to be, he was fired after Spags took over.

Well, I guess he is available at least. I'd bring him in as a WR coach, because I think that's where he's best suited...

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:09 AM
It doesn't matter who the Offense Cordinator is anyway with this o-line scoring 17 points will be an accomplishment.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Kubiak does it, Childress does it. Norv Turner did it in San Diego. I don't have the whole list. I know as of last year..'

Calling "your own plays" and acting as the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator and QB coach is entirely different.

ALL of those guys you mentioned have offensive coordinators and QB coaches on staff.

There IS a difference.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Let me be clear I don't care if Haley calls play's, I do care about him spreading himself thin with very questionable people on the staff to help with the gameplan.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:11 AM
It doesn't matter who the Offense Cordinator is anyway with this o-line scoring 17 points will be an accomplishment.

17? Ha!

Try 6.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Used to be, he was fired after Spags took over.

Well, I guess he is available at least. I'd bring him in as a WR coach, because I think that's where he's best suited...

I should have said was your right, I'll tell you this I'd feel alot more comfortable with him helping gameplan as say the WR coach than anyone else on the staff.

splatbass
Sorry you posted that while I was typing but yea look at how it's the new good ol' boys club.

The NFL is a good ol' boys club. That is just the way it works. GMs and head coaches hire people they know and are comfortable with.

Rausch
Calling "your own plays" and acting as the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator and QB coach is entirely different.

ALL of those guys you mentioned have offensive coordinators and QB coaches on staff.

There IS a difference.

Isn't there only one other team without one?

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:14 AM
17? Ha!

Try 6.

Damn you are negative lol.

DaWolf
Let me be clear I don't care if Haley calls play's, I do care about him spreading himself thin with very questionable people on the staff to help with the gameplan.

Well the upside is that if this fails, he's already started digging himself a hole that will be hard to get out of, which means that we're going to see a lot of changes on next year's staff once the offseason begins and coaches become available, or Haley will get canned if things become utterly disastrous, or there will be more success than any of us envisioned. Either way, it's going to lead to some kind of change...

tk13
You guys are way too caught up in titles. Who gives a crap who gets what title... I'm sure there are varying degrees but the offense is still going through the head coach when he calls the plays. Sure Marty Morningwheg is the "OC", but who is actually "coordinating" the offense come gameday. It's Andy Reid.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Isn't there only one other team without one?

I believe the Chiefs are now the only team that doesn't have a listed OC, even the teams where the coach calls plays another coach has the OC title..

Also Al Saunders appears to be with the Ravens now for anyone wondering.

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:16 AM
I believe the Chiefs are now the only team that doesn't have a listed OC, even the teams where the coach calls plays another coach has the OC title..

Saunders and Cameron, thats a nice coaching staff. Herm should have hired Cameron he's good at working with young QB's.

DaneMcCloud
You guys are way too caught up in titles. Who gives a crap who gets what title... I'm sure there are varying degrees but the offense is still going through the head coach when he calls the plays. Sure Marty Morningwheg is the "OC", but who is actually "coordinating" the offense come gameday. It's Andy Reid.

No, it's not.

Apparently, you've never managed a department of people before.

Nor do you understand NFL hierarchy and success.

splatbass
17? Ha!

Try 6.

I love this time of year. ROFL People go from hopeful to filled with hate and negativity in a very short time (and both are out of proportion to reality), and just about have a stroke before the season even starts.

Sit down, have a beer and chill a little. It is just a game.

Mecca

I'm caught up in the size of coaching staffs and how many capable people they have to do the job the Chiefs seem to be spreading themselves very thin.

WildTurkey
Lets try and get Dick Curl back, maybe he can help groom Cassel:doh!:

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Saunders and Cameron, thats a nice coaching staff. Herm should have hired Cameron he's good at working with young QB's.

Cameron and Saunders are both from the Coryell offense so I think the Ravens may be trying to protect themselves in case Cameron becomes a HC candidate again but it never hurts to have good minds on the staff.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:18 AM

For a guy with 35,000 posts (none of which I've ever noticed), you don't seem to know jackshit about the NFL.

No offense.

Which of course could be said for the 2009 Chiefs.

WildTurkey
I'm caught up in the size of coaching staffs and how many capable people they have to do the job the Chiefs seem to be spreading themselves very thin.

Gee If I had the task of trying to repair this franchise, with the severe lack of talent I would probably be spreading myself a little thin

Mecca
Lets try and get Dick Curl back, maybe he can help groom Cassel:doh!:

Now now quality coaches ok...

Titty Meat
Cameron and Saunders are both from the Coryell offense so I think the Ravens may be trying to protect themselves in case Cameron becomes a HC candidate again but it never hurts to have good minds on the staff.

Any team that hires Cameron for a head coaching job is stupid, He wasn't even a good college coach. He's a good offensive cordinator though.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Gee If I had the task of trying to repair this franchise, with the severe lack of talent I would probably be spreading myself a little thin

Why?

You've got a five year contract. You've got a franchise QB. You've got the ear of the owner and the GM.

Why be a rash fucking asshole?

Mecca

But that is the problem, the best coaches surround themselves with good assistants and let them do their jobs. Haley right now is being the opposite.

tk13
No, it's not.

Apparently, you've never managed a department of people before.

Nor do you understand NFL hierarchy and success.

Crap, I forgot you spent 15 years working the music industry, running an NFL front office, while freeing Liberia using only two sharp knives and a Shamwow. My bad.

DaWolf
Since it's such a big topic...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3410788
Much has changed for Mike Holmgren since his first days as an NFL head coach 16 years ago.

He has watched four daughters grow into women with families and careers of their own. His jewelry collection has expanded by one Super Bowl ring. He has gone from coach to coach/general manager and back to coach. He has lost loved ones and close associates, from his mother to former assistant Fritz Shurmur to his mentor, Bill Walsh, to the finest defensive lineman he ever coached, Reggie White.

One constant for Holmgren through it all: calling the offensive plays on NFL game days. It's one part of the job Holmgren figures to miss when he walks away from the Seattle Seahawks after the 2008 season.

"I still enjoy calling the games," Holmgren said earlier this year.

Holmgren's scheduled departure from the Seahawks is part of a broader trend in the NFC West. The division that once claimed Walsh, the ultimate head coach as offensive playcaller, could join the AFC East and AFC North as the only divisions without even one head coach filling the high-profile role.

In St. Louis, Rams coach Scott Linehan is handing off play-calling duties to new offensive coordinator Al Saunders after a 2007 season marked by injuries and offensive futility.

In Arizona, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is following through on a promise to delegate more play-calling responsibilities to coordinator Todd Haley.

Calling the plays on offense won't be an option for Holmgren's successor-in-waiting, Jim Mora, who has a defensive background. The same holds true in San Francisco as long as Mike Nolan remains head coach. New offensive coordinator Mike Martz will call plays for the 49ers in 2008.

Fifteen head coaches have backgrounds on offense. Eleven of them are expected to serve as primary playcallers this season, a number consistent with recent history. The New York Giants' Tom Coughlin and first-year Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano stand with Linehan and Whisenhunt as exceptions -- offensive-minded head coaches who leave the play calling to others.

Twenty-five of the 32 head coaches worked previously as NFL coordinators. Coughlin and Sparano were not among them. Coughlin is the only current NFL head coach who built his reputation as a Division I college head coach. Sparano coached the offensive line in Dallas, calling plays in 2006, the year Tony Romo became a productive passer.

Head coaches who pull double duty as playcallers face additional challenges.

As playcallers, they must think one or two plays ahead of the action, their minds focused on big-picture strategy. As head coaches, they must retain a strong grasp on game management. Unable to see the field as well as a coordinator might from the booth, they must quickly process information relayed to them through headsets -- without letting the chaos of the sideline impair their judgment.

"I'm an offensive guy, but at the same time, I know that the responsibility from my end needs to be to see the big picture of this football team," Sparano told reporters shortly after his hiring in Miami.

Veteran offensive coordinator Dan Henning will call the plays for Miami this season. While a conservative approach likely will suit the rebuilding Dolphins best, coordinators generally can afford to be more freewheeling as playcallers because the head coach is ultimately responsible for results. Head coaches serve as filters for coordinators, exercising veto power as they see fit.

The dynamic is different for head coaches who call plays. They lean on coordinators, but other factors weigh heavily on them. It's their job to consider how an aggressive call might affect the defense or special teams.

As the 49ers' offensive coordinator under George Seifert, Holmgren figured he could trust Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to beat anyone, even all-world cornerback Deion Sanders. In one memorable case, the aggressive playcaller in Holmgren should have deferred to the pragmatist who knew better than to take chances unnecessarily.

"As an assistant coach, you're not afraid of anybody," Holmgren later explained. "I was the same way, but I learned a valuable lesson as an assistant coach. Had Deion caught a ball, we would have lost the game. I got too cocky."

One of Holmgren's protégés in Seattle could encounter similar temptations as a first-year playcaller.

Jim Zorn, the Seahawks' longtime quarterbacks coach, plans to call offensive plays as the rookie head coach for the Washington Redskins. A freewheeling scrambler during his playing days as a left-handed passer, Zorn developed a reputation for offensive creativity as a quarterback -- and as an assistant coach.

The transition can be made.

In 1999, Philadelphia's Andy Reid jumped from quarterbacks coach under Holmgren in Green Bay to play-calling head coach for the Eagles. Minnesota's Brad Childress, Green Bay's Mike McCarthy, New Orleans' Sean Payton and Houston's Gary Kubiak are entering their third seasons as head coaches and offensive playcallers. McCarthy and Payton already have earned widespread acclaim.

Oakland's Lane Kiffin and San Diego's Norv Turner are entering their second seasons on the job (Turner previously called plays as the Redskins' head coach).

Four other offensive head coaches have been calling plays in their current roles for longer than two seasons. Holmgren, Reid, Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden and Denver's Mike Shanahan share something else in common. Each has led his current team to a Super Bowl.

Holmgren will try to do it one more time. His NFC West counterparts will be watching.

Mike Sando covers the NFL for ESPN.com

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:20 AM

I meant QB coach, but yeah, that too...

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Dane works in the music industry?

DaneMcCloud
Since it's such a big topic...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3410788

Holmgren's team went 4-12 last year

DaWolf
Here's another interesting slant. The article below brings up an interesting point that Wade Phillips fired his DC mid year, took over the D, and the team improved...

Head coaches taking on new role as defensive play-callers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81075fa2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)
What do Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith and Rex Ryan all have in common? They are a trio of coaches set to start a new trend in the NFL this season: Head coaches acting as defensive play-callers.

Wade Phillips started the movement when he took over play-calling duties from then-defensive coordinator Brian Stewart in the middle of the Cowboys' season in '08, and he eventually transformed the underachieving unit into a top-10 defense by season's end.

Phillips, who previously held the title of defensive coordinator for the Saints, Eagles, Broncos, Bills, Falcons and Chargers, had always been involved in the building of the defensive game plan, but he generally only offered up suggestions on play calls throughout the course of the game. However, at Jerry Jones' urging, Phillips took over control of the defense, and the team responded well under his direction.

Fueled by Phillips' success and their own desire to put their imprint on their respective defenses, Smith and Ryan have decided to act as their own defensive play-callers this season.

Smith, who spent three seasons directing a Rams defense that finished third in total defense in 2001 and led the league in takeaways in 2003, has decided to take over the Bears' defense after watching the unit drop to 21st in total defense last season. Although last year's defensive coordinator, Bob Babich, will stay on as defensive coordinator/linebackers coach, Smith will be making all of the defensive play-calling on game day and embracing the challenge of becoming a rare head coach/defensive play-caller.

"There are a lot of offensive coaches in the league that call plays, that do a little bit more on their side of the ball where their expertise is," Smith said earlier in the offseason. "For some reason, a lot of defensive coaches haven't done it. But I think it's time to change some of that."

Rex Ryan comes to New York with impeccable credentials as a defensive coordinator after guiding the Ravens to three top-five finishes in total defense during his four-year stint as their defensive coordinator. The defensive mastermind is coming off a season in which his unit led the league in takeaways and surrendered the third fewest points in the league. With his defenses enjoying so much success, it only makes sense for Ryan to continue to be the point man for the Jets' defense on game day.

Whereas the league has seen numerous offensive-minded coaches juggle play-calling duties while overseeing the team, coaches from defensive backgrounds have eschewed the practice despite earning their appointment based on their success as coordinators.

Marvin Lewis is a terrific example of an exceptional defensive coach shunning the opportunity to direct his own defense. Lewis, who directed a Ravens defense that set an NFL record for fewest points allowed in a 16-game season in 2000, has never taken over the reins of the Bengals' defense despite repeated struggles on that side of the ball. In Lewis' six-year tenure, the Bengals have never ranked in the top 10 in total defense (the defense ranked 12th last season under the direction of Mike Zimmer) and has cycled through three defensive coordinators (Leslie Frazier, Chuck Breshnahan and Zimmer).

While this is not a knock on Lewis' unwillingness to take a more active role in the defense, it is interesting that the former defensive guru didn't put the weight of the defense's success on his shoulders. Head coaches are often hired based on their reputation as coordinators, but few defensive coaches really tap into their expertise while serving as the head coach.

Conversely, offensive-minded head coaches have often preferred to direct the offense on game day despite the endless responsibilities that fall on the head coach on Sundays. Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan, Dan Reeves and Mike Holmgren are a few of the legendary coaches who took on the responsibility of calling their own offensive plays during games, and their success in the dual role has led to others attempting to pull off the double duty.

Last season, 10 head coaches served as de facto offensive coordinators, and that number will continue to grow with new head coaches such as Josh McDaniels and Tom Cable poised to call plays for their teams in 2009.

However, this season they will face a few defensive gurus willing to engage in the chess match on game day. Although Phillips, Smith and Ryan will rely heavily on the contributions of others during the preparation phase throughout the week, they will ultimately get a chance to demonstrate the skills that led to their high-profile jobs.

With owners and fellow coaches always looking to identify the latest trends, the success of these three defensive masterminds in their dual roles could lead to more former defensive coordinators grabbing the call sheet on Sundays.

DaneMcCloud
Dane works in the music industry?

I did, for more than a decade.

Now I work in the film business.

BigRock
09-01-2009, 01:22 AM
I believe the Chiefs are now the only team that doesn't have a listed OC

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coaches

DaWolf
Holmgren's team went 4-12 last year

He also led two teams to the Super Bowl. He called plays then too...

Titty Meat
I did, for more than a decade.

Now I work in the film business.

Can you get me in any good pornos?

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Here's another interesting slant. The article below brings up an interesting point that Wade Phillips fired his DC mid year, took over the D, and the team improved...

Head coaches taking on new role as defensive play-callers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81075fa2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

They may have "improved" but they underperformed and missed the playoffs.

OTOH, Norv Turner fired his DC, hired Ron Rivera and not only made the playoffs but beat Indy without LT and Merriman.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Can you get me in any good pornos?

I don't work in porn

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:24 AM
He also led two teams to the Super Bowl. He called plays then too...

And he also had a staff that consisted of Steve Mariucci, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Brad Childress and Marty Morninwhig.

The Chiefs can't say that.

Not at all.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Why?

You've got a five year contract. You've got a franchise QB. You've got the ear of the owner and the GM.

Why be a rash ****ing asshole?

if he thought that Chan running the offense wasn't going to work than he was right by removing him, you don't put your offense and your franchise QB in the hands of a Lame duck OC, hell he should have gotten rid of him in the beginning

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Just face it folks this teams O-line is bad and the D-line is relying on rookies. It doesn't matter who the Offensive Cordinator is, and who wants to bet when LJ melts down?

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2009, 01:25 AM
hell he should have gotten rid of him in the beginning

exactly

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Maybe it works maybe it doesn't but right now it's not looking good because I don't see any greatness in the Chiefs assistant coaches.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:27 AM
if he thought that Chan running the offense wasn't going to work than he was right by removing him, you don't put your offense and your franchise QB in the hands of a Lame duck OC, hell he should have gotten rid of him in the beginning

I think that is what everyone has said.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:27 AM

OTOH, Norv Turner fired his DC, hired Ron Rivera and not only made the playoffs but beat Indy without LT and Merriman.

After a regular season full of underachievement.
I don't care what the question is - Norv Turner is not the answer...

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Just face it folks this teams O-line is bad and the D-line is relying on rookies. It doesn't matter who the Offensive Cordinator is, and who wants to bet when LJ melts down?

I don't know what Chiefs team you were watching last year, but if you thought they were gonna be any good this year, your fucking crazy, they will be bad, if they get out of this season with some improved play and not getting cassel killed than it's a good season

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know what Chiefs team you were watching last year, but if you thought they were gonna be any good this year, your ****ing crazy, they will be bad, if they get out of this season with some improved play and not getting cassel killed than it's a good season

I said they would win 6 games.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know what Chiefs team you were watching last year, but if you thought they were gonna be any good this year, your fucking crazy, they will be bad, if they get out of this season with some improved play and not getting cassel killed than it's a good season

You've missed all the posts about how the Chiefs can be competitive and win 6-8 games haven't you?

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:31 AM
I don't work in porn

No wonder you hate Disney...

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:32 AM
I said they would win 6 games.

Name 4 teams you think we should beat...

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 01:33 AM
And he also had a staff that consisted of Steve Mariucci, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Brad Childress and Marty Morninwhig.

The Chiefs can't say that.

Not at all.

This is hardly a dream coaching staff on paper, and considering he was hired so late, that's what you're going to get year one. Who knows, maybe Sirianni or Ward are the next offensive geniuses, or maybe not. Maybe Haley has it, maybe not. We'll just have to see what comes of it.

No one in the front office has said they won't be hiring anyone to come in and help if it is needed. All we've heard is that at this time, dude is going to handle playcalling and the QB's. I would not at all be surprised if they are looking to bring in help behind the scenes should that help be available and needed...

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Do you really think the Chiefs are going to hire an entirely new coaching staff next year?

I know what you want is a strong coaching staff full of young assistants who are future head coaches...right now we don't have any of that.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:36 AM
well shit Billay, I hope your right, 6 wins would be amazing for this team

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I had said 5...it's starting to look alot more like 2 or 3.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:38 AM
yeah I figured in the 4 to 6 range, which is still possible, you never can tell, but so far I think 3 might be about it

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Do you really think the Chiefs are going to hire an entirely new coaching staff next year?

I know what you want is a strong coaching staff full of young assistants who are future head coaches...right now we don't have any of that.

No, I do expect that Haley will bring in an OC who matches up with his vision next year, and a QB coach. At least history suggests that will happen based on other coaches histories in year 2. And I wouldn't be surprised to see us dump an assistant here or there if they hadn't done a great job or a better fit was available (IE Krumrie).

I wouldn't be surprised if he continued to call plays however...

tk13
09-01-2009, 01:43 AM

That's not even a comparison. Norv is an offensive coordinator, it's not like he is going to take over defensive playcalling.

Rausch
I figured no Herm/Carl + Pioli was good for 3 more wins than last year.
Now, not so much...

Mecca
The defensive staff bugs the hell out of me....i especially don't like the DC or DL coach...

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Name 4 teams you think we should beat...

That was before the shitty o-line but they can beat The Broncos,Raiders, Browns, Redskins, Bengals.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:45 AM
No, I do expect that Haley will bring in an OC who matches up with his vision next year, and a QB coach. At least history suggests that will happen based on other coaches histories in year 2. And I wouldn't be surprised to see us dump an assistant here or there if they hadn't done a great job or a better fit was available (IE Krumrie).

I agree, and I hope he continues to build this team and coaching staff his way, the sooner the herm castoffs are gone the better

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:46 AM

And when that guy isn't a top 15 offense in the preseason?...

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:47 AM
That was before the shitty o-line but they can beat The Broncos,Raiders, Browns, Redskins, Bengals.

Not can, SHOULD beat.
Games you think we should be favored to win before kickoff...

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:47 AM

oh they def have a chance to beat those teams, the redskins might be stretching it but you never know.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:48 AM
I agree, and I hope he continues to build this team and coaching staff his way, the sooner the herm castoffs are gone the better

Chan was a herm castoff?...

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:49 AM

I'd say no way to the Redskins....Broncos, Raiders, sure although I think splits are likely there.

The Bengals game is a tossup, if Palmer is healthy and Chris Henry has the year I'm expecting him to have I think they go back to be a 7 or 8 win team. People look at how bad they were last year but that's an entire season without Palmer basically.

If he stays healthy they'll pull out 6-8.

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Not can, SHOULD beat.
Games you think we should be favored to win before kickoff...

The Chiefs won't be favored to win any games however Vegas picked them to win 6 games and usually Vegas is right.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:50 AM
the truth is you never know, the fucking Dolphins won the AFC east last year and nobody saw that coming, I think we are gonna win 4 but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did better than that.

Mecca
The other thing to be aware of, is where this team stands after the first 8 games, they play some serious teams there could be major injuries or a demoralized team that is 0-8.

Titty Meat
I'd say no way to the Redskins....Broncos, Raiders, sure although I think splits are likely there.

The Bengals game is a tossup, if Palmer is healthy and Chris Henry has the year I'm expecting him to have I think they go back to be a 7 or 8 win team. People look at how bad they were last year but that's an entire season without Palmer basically.

If he stays healthy they'll pull out 6-8.

The Raiders are pretty shitty from what I've seen in pre-season there O-line sucks, QB sucks, Wr's are meh, and there defense played like shit. Denver is beatable too there defense isn't that good and Orton is a shitty QB. The Bengals are beatable, Marvin Lewis should have been fired a few years ago and I hope Chris Henry plays great, he's on my fantasy team :)

Rausch
09-01-2009, 01:51 AM
The Chiefs won't be favored to win any games however Vegas picked them to win 6 games and usually Vegas is right.

Forget Vegas.
I'm asking you what games you think we are better than the other team and should win.
Games that, to you, it would be an upset if we didn't win...

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:52 AM
The Raiders are pretty shitty from what I've seen in pre-season there O-line sucks, QB sucks, Wr's are meh, and there defense played like shit. Denver is beatable too there defense isn't that good and Orton is a shitty QB. The Bengals are beatable, Marvin Lewis should have been fired a few years ago and I hope Chris Henry plays great, he's on my fantasy team :)

The thing with the Raiders in preseason is they have been passing alot to let Russell and the WR's work when they get into real games they'll be running a ton and the Chiefs still have problems with that.

They're winnable games but the Raiders running game is going to be an issue for the Chiefs.

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Forget Vegas.
I'm asking you what games you think we are better than the other team and should win.
Games that, to you, it would be an upset if we didn't win...

The Raiders, Broncos, Bengals at home. Upsets in the NFL are nothing like upsets in college football though.

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Actually I think a legit question is when Cassel comes back can he make it through the first 2 months without getting injured again?

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:55 AM
The Raiders, Broncos, Bengals at home. Upsets in the NFL are nothing like upsets in college football though.

there is nothing wrong with being optimistic, stick with your 6 wins, I hope to hell that you are right

Mecca
09-01-2009, 01:55 AM
there is nothing wrong with being optimistic, stick with your 6 wins, I hope to hell that you are right

And then on draft day if we miss out on a player by a few picks...people will go insane.

Titty Meat
09-01-2009, 01:57 AM

The prediction was made before the pre-season games though. I thought the o-line would be average and didn't think Cassel would already be banged up. So that changes the preidctions.

Rausch
The thing with the Raiders in preseason is they have been passing alot to let Russell and the WR's work when they get into real games they'll be running a ton and the Chiefs still have problems with that.

They're winnable games but the Raiders running game is going to be an issue for the Chiefs.

Just think back to the first Raiders/Chiefs game last year.
Yes, they won, but I'd prefer to watch an abortion in Imax to seeing that game film...

splatbass
And then on draft day if we miss out on a player by a few picks...people will go insane.

In case you haven't noticed, people are going insane right now.

WildTurkey
09-01-2009, 01:58 AM
that's true but this team needs to learn how to win they need to get rid of this loser mentality that has developed over the years if that means moving a few spots down the draft order than that's fine with me

crazycoffey
09-01-2009, 02:00 AM

No, nein, not at all - I can't even get through half his crap anymore. It's a complete embarrassment, I mean - really, this is what he gets paid for? I know, it's hard to be excited about the chiefs, but that doesn't give whitless a free pass to be a stupid ignorant bitch!

Hey Whitless - F YOU, you fat, uncreative, spoiled, spiteful, little girl. Please please please, can someone fire this asshat! It's totall embarrasment!

This is the angle you take on the topic of chan being let go? Why would you not try to put some investigative research into this topic, specutlate all you want, but back it up with realism, this isn't a stupid movie, this is real life. All you ever do, is get home sunday night, after stuffing your fat ass face with BBQ and ego inducing stigmas, and say "oh shit, I have an article to write, let's see what BS I can come up with today."

It's such crap, really, you suck, you should never write another fucking email to your friend, let alone an article in any publication, or even any quasi-news organization like WPI. I'd rather read Goatboy or Nicks crap than ever ever ever ever ever EVER see your fucking waste of newsprint space again!!!!!!!!!

Mecca
09-01-2009, 02:01 AM
You know what I want to know...

Why people that hate Whitlock open the threads that have his columns in them.

WildTurkey
Scott Egoli..... seriously someone needs to piss in his BBQ sauce for that sack of shit line

tk13
Haha, Mecca cracks me up. It's always the absolute worst possible scenario. Granted with the Chiefs that's usually what happens. I wonder if it affects other facets of his life. We need a Mecca TV show.

"I am going to go to the grocery store today. But wait a minute, they don't have a good team of up and coming stockboys. Most likely one of them is going to trip, his broom is going to hit a shelf causing a chain reaction across the store that will cause over 350 cans of vegetables to fall on me, killing me instantly. So forget that."

Mecca
09-01-2009, 02:02 AM
That's Whitlock, it's how he writes he's been doing it for years.

He's nationally known, for "sucking" someone sure is paying attention.

crazycoffey
09-01-2009, 02:02 AM
I mean, GOD - YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!11!!!
Reading your crap is like watching a video of a child molestation, and even if you have a viable reason to watch that crap, you wish you never ever saw it.

YOU SUCK

crazycoffey
09-01-2009, 02:03 AM
You know what I want to know...

Why people that hate Whitlock open the threads that have his columns in them.

The very same reason I have ever, and will ever, respond to your posts....

Mecca
09-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Haha, Mecca cracks me up. It's always the absolute worst possible scenario. Granted with the Chiefs that's usually what happens. I wonder if it affects other facets of his life. We need a Mecca TV show.

"I am going to go to the grocery store today. But wait a minute, they don't have a good team of up and coming stockboys. Most likely one of them is going to trip, his broom is going to hit a shelf causing a chain reaction across the store that will cause over 350 cans of vegetables to fall on me, killing me instantly. So forget that."

LOL that is not how I am, I've been on this forum a long time I've said positive things in the past but honestly the last 3 years the team hasn't had many things to be positive about.

It's nice you get a kick out of me but I will always be honest instead of being homer in my view.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 02:05 AM
No, nein, not at all - I can't even get through half his crap anymore. It's a complete embarrassment, I mean - really, this is what he gets paid for? I know, it's hard to be excited about the chiefs, but that doesn't give whitless a free pass to be a stupid ignorant bitch!

Hey Whitless - F YOU, you fat, uncreative, spoiled, spiteful, little girl. Please please please, can someone fire this asshat! It's totall embarrasment!

This is the angle you take on the topic of chan being let go? Why would you not try to put some investigative research into this topic, specutlate all you want, but back it up with realism, this isn't a stupid movie, this is real life. All you ever do, is get home sunday night, after stuffing your fat ass face with BBQ and ego inducing stigmas, and say "oh shit, I have an article to write, let's see what BS I can come up with today."

It's like reading me 5 years ago...

crazycoffey
09-01-2009, 02:08 AM
It's like reading me 5 years ago...

pay mecca to write for the star and let whitless be a loser "expert" on this board, and no freakin posts would ever change, today or five years ago.....

Mecca
09-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Whitlock is not suppose to be the nice feel good writer, he's doing what he's paid to do.

crazycoffey
09-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Whitlock is not suppose to be the nice feel good writer, he's doing what he's paid to do.

are you seriously defending him? I understand what you are trying to say, but come on, even you can admit that this article (and most his articles this season already, for that matter) are complete crap....

Rausch
09-01-2009, 02:17 AM
pay mecca to write for the star and let whitless be a loser "expert" on this board, and no freakin posts would ever change, today or five years ago.....

That wasn't meant as an insult.
In fact, a tiny tear of pride trickled down mein cheek...

Mecca
09-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Whitlock takes some shreds of truth and adds some nice humor lines and overly embellishes other things, it's what most writers do.

I'm not reading him for football fact, he's writing for people who read the star not hardcore football fan. I find his columns entertaining, he's wanting to get people to read his stuff it's easier to do that with this type of stuff.

Whitlock is a really smart guy, he knows exactly how to hook in the audience that reads his stuff. He may believe the main premise of the article but he's obviously embellishing alot on it for entertainment sake.

crazycoffey
09-01-2009, 02:26 AM
Whitlock takes some shreds of truth and adds some nice humor lines and overly embellishes other things, it's what most writers do.

I'm not reading him for football fact, he's writing for people who read the star not hardcore football fan. I find his columns entertaining, he's wanting to get people to read his stuff it's easier to do that with this type of stuff.

Whitlock is a really smart guy, he knows exactly how to hook in the audience that reads his stuff. He may believe the main premise of the article but he's obviously embellishing alot on it for entertainment sake.

embellish- 1 : to make beautiful with ornamentation : decorate (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decorate) <a book embellished with illustrations>
2 : to heighten the attractiveness of by adding decorative or fanciful details : enhance (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enhance)

So, you ARE agreeing with me then.....
oh, and I'm not entertained. At all.
I can NOT even read all his crap, I can't make it through the halfway mark. how is that even close to being a success? And if he's as smart as you say, we wouldn't even be having this discussion....

Rausch
09-01-2009, 02:32 AM
embellish- 1 : to make beautiful with ornamentation : decorate (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decorate) <a book embellished with illustrations>
2 : to heighten the attractiveness of by adding decorative or fanciful details : enhance (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enhance)

So, you ARE agreeing with me then.....
oh, and I'm not entertained. At all.
I can NOT even read all his crap, I can't make it through the halfway mark. how is that even close to being a success? And if he's as smart as you say, we wouldn't even be having this discussion....

Haley firing Chan was a perfect tee'd up event for Whit to knock out of the park. Stupid move, backtracking by the HC, controversy.

Instead he shanked it 10 feet out and 180 into the rough. He mailed this one in...

R&GHomer
09-01-2009, 02:49 AM
How this hack still has a job after 1/2 the staff at the star has gotten the boot is beyond me. This was just terrible. Egoli, are you shitting me. People are supposed to pay for this dribble. I can't wait until the next time one of those annoying telemarketing reps for the star call me. LOL.... thanks to you fuck lock, they will hate their job! How's that Jason "Fuck Lock" pretty witty hu? ass clown

Boris The Great
09-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Haley firing Chan was a perfect teed up event for Whit to knock out of the park. Stupid move, backtracking by the HC, controversy.

Instead he shanked it 10 feet out and 180 into the rough. He mailed this one in...

I would say Whitlock nailed this in terms of what he wanted to get out of it. He isnt writing for anyone but himself at this point. He has become completely driven by his own agenda, which seems to be twofold now: he wants to take whatever opportunity he can to rip the new admin (because they dare keep a lid on information), and he is obsessed with proving himself right going back to the Waters story that blew up in his face.

Clearly there are valid points to be made about the team not upgrading the OL or WRs, but hell, I remember a column about that on WPI three or four months ago. Whitlock cant stand pat with that, he has to push his arrogance/ego agenda. He thought he had the atom bomb to drop on Pioli with the Waters story, but Chiefs fans en masse laughed over Waters thinking he could show up unannounced and be catered to.

So now we get this mess of a column trying to play to both themes. Whitlock calls it a big mistake letting Gailey call plays, agrees Haley probably shouldnt have kept Galey, yet Haley correcting the mistake is a staggering display of arrogance. And also panic and insecurity. And then arrogance again. All at once.

This can easily be picked apart by anyone with half a brain, with the part saying Haley should have held onto Gailey as a scapegoat being a particularly embarrassing stain on Whitlocks credibility. But he pounded on the only two drums he cares about these days, so he surely thinks he scored a huge burn with this.

Rausch
09-01-2009, 03:00 AM
How this hack still has a job after 1/2 the staff at the star has gotten the boot is beyond me. This was just terrible. Egoli, are you shitting me. People are supposed to pay for this dribble. I can't wait until the next time one of those annoying telemarketing reps for the star call me. LOL.... thanks to you **** lock, they will hate their job! How's that Jason "**** Lock" pretty witty hu? ass clown

About as creative as jATEson Whitlock.

I guess we could start a site to call him out on it.

The Whit-watchers?

R&GHomer
09-01-2009, 03:07 AM
About as creative as jATEson Whitlock.

I guess we could start a site to call him out on it.

The Whit-watchers?

Something, this clown is getting old. Should have happened along time ago IMHO. Peterson is gone A-hole, now you want to pin everything on Pioli. What a jack ass

Rausch
09-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Something, this clown is getting old. Should have happened along time ago IMHO. Peterson is gone A-hole, now you want to pin everything on Pioli. What a jack ass

Sarcasm.
His shat wordplays...

R&GHomer
09-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Sarcasm.
His shat wordplays...

I get it:D I'm just pissed because I was bored and read the whole thing... Shame on me:doh!:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Terrible.

Wrong.

Perfect. Fitting. And here to stay. The only thing wrong with this article is the overly-excessive Brian Waters butt-hurt. A deep and plentiful butt-hurt that Whitlock will nurse until the sands of time fall to the bottom of the hourglass.

the Talking Can
09-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Should Haley give up? No. Should he have kept Gailey as coordinator even though it wasn’t working? Probably not

but I'll write an article about the coach being an ego maniac for trying to make something out of a pile of shit...

then i'll claim he's both trying to "win now" and also criticize him for not fixing the OL and trading Tony....nevermind that these are incompatible claims....

translation:

Haley is an ego maniacal fool for making short term moves
and he's an ego maniacal fool for making long term moves

see how that works?
neat, huh? they pay me for being as smart as the average chiefsplanet poster....

Chiefnj2
09-01-2009, 05:36 AM
are you seriously defending him? I understand what you are trying to say, but come on, even you can admit that this article (and most his articles this season already, for that matter) are complete crap....

His article is pretty much accurate. If the Raiders or Broncos fired their OC or DC yesterday we'd all be laughing at them.

Pioli Zombie
09-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Jason Whitlock is an ass hole.
Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bane
09-01-2009, 06:16 AM
:bang:Fatlock

SenselessChiefsFan
09-01-2009, 06:30 AM
The only defense that Whitlock gives for keeping Gailey was that Haley would have a scapegoat.... and that NOW Haley has to take full responsibility.

Oh, how horrible that a man is willing to actually be accountable.

Inspector
09-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Crap, I forgot you spent 15 years working the music industry, running an NFL front office, while freeing Liberia using only two sharp knives and a Shamwow. My bad.

Oh bull!!!!

He did NOT use a shamwow.

JFC people! There was NEVER a shamwow involved.

LaChapelle
09-01-2009, 06:43 AM
You know Whitlock, excuse me if I don't want to hear career advise from you. Is there a job out there you haven't been fired from. Or quit right before you were to be axed? ESPN, 810, 610...I know the list is longer

Tiger's Fan
09-01-2009, 06:47 AM
It doesn't take much to send the nancies over the edge nowadays. A little fatlock shit stirring and the girls get all suicidal over anything. Like dumping Gailey will have any detrimental effect on the Chiefs, instead of being a really good thing.

All it sounds to me like is "I want my Carl and Herm back" waaaaaaaaaa blah blah blah.

Messier
09-01-2009, 06:57 AM
You'd think we were in year three of the Pioli-Haley regime. Isn't it a little early for the silly nicknames to come out? Maybe not, because after all we've given them ample time to prove what they're all about, and it's time for some results! You're on thin ice Egoli!

Tiger's Fan
09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Thank god hamas is back so we can get the official strike count going again.

Long live Carl Peterson!

Marcellus
09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
I can't wait until the season starts, between the media, and this place I don't know how much more BS I can stand.

The guy fires his OC when the offense shows to be inept during 3 preseason games. He gave it a fucking chance, it didn't work. He did what he needed to do.

Move on folks,, move on.

Marcellus
09-01-2009, 07:01 AM
It doesn't take much to send the nancies over the edge nowadays. A little fatlock shit stirring and the girls get all suicidal over anything. Like dumping Gailey will have any detrimental effect on the Chiefs, instead of being a really good thing.

All it sounds to me like is "I want my Carl and Herm back" waaaaaaaaaa blah blah blah.

100% agreement.

notorious
09-01-2009, 07:04 AM
If the Raiders or Broncos fired their OC or DC yesterday we'd all be laughing at them.

Bravo! When you take emotion out of the equation and look at your team with indifference, the truth is very obvious.

TEX
09-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Whatever you think about Whitlock, he nailed this take...I still can't believe it. :shake:

SAUTO
09-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Who gives a fuck if no other coach does it? what has that got to do with this situation?

SAUTO
09-01-2009, 07:12 AM

what does that have to do with anything?

SAUTO
09-01-2009, 07:15 AM

how many other former OCs do they chiefs employ?

Easy 6
09-01-2009, 08:19 AM

HAHA, i remember that game, it looks like Gilligan trying to butt into one of Skippers arguments.

boogblaster
09-01-2009, 09:08 AM
haley has big balls

Coogs
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Whitlock: What Haley needs to do is tone down the arrogance.

I know I am late to the party, but I find this kind of ironic. Every single Whitlock article bashes Haley (and now Pioli), which indicates Whitlock knows more about how to run the Chiefs.

splatbass
09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't know why this even surprised anyone. Haley said when he made Gailey OC that he would start off calling the plays, but that at some point he (Haley) might take over the play calling. And that is what happened. It is fascinating to watch CP go into meltdown over every thing that happens...ROFL

bishop_74
09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't know why this even surprised anyone. Haley said when he made Gailey OC that he would start off calling the plays, but that at some point he (Haley) might take over the play calling. And that is what happened. It is fascinating to watch CP go into meltdown over every thing that happens...ROFL

No fucking kidding. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Chiefnj2
09-01-2009, 09:25 AM

That's not what Haley said yesterday.

Q: Is this something you thought about when you first took the job - that you wanted to call the plays?

HALEY: “No, what I said the first day I was hired was I’m here to coach the Kansas City Chiefs. I’m here to coach the offense, the defense, the special teams, my coaching staff and everybody I’m responsible for. That’s the way I believe it has to be done. Right now, I feel like the offense needs a little more attention. Did I think that then? No. I don’t think that was ever in my head. But that’s still my number one job: to coach the Kansas City Chiefs.”

Hammock Parties
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Actually I think a legit question is when Cassel comes back can he make it through the first 2 months without getting injured again?

Yup. Completely agree.

Flatt Cassel.

splatbass
09-01-2009, 09:29 AM

I was talking about what he said months ago. He may have said something different yesterday, but that doesn't change what he said before.

DaWolf
09-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Q: Is this something you thought about when you first took the job - that you wanted to call the plays?

HALEY: “No, what I said the first day I was hired was I’m here to coach the Kansas City Chiefs. I’m here to coach the offense, the defense, the special teams, my coaching staff and everybody I’m responsible for. That’s the way I believe it has to be done. Right now, I feel like the offense needs a little more attention. Did I think that then? No. I don’t think that was ever in my head. But that’s still my number one job: to coach the Kansas City Chiefs.”

Based on his previous comments, you could tell that Haley really wanted to call the plays, but was hesitant to do so because he was told by a lot of people that it would serve him best to have an OC on staff. As Gretz pointed out in his piece today, Pioli recommended that Haley keep Gailey on staff, and he elected to. That turned out to be a mistake. I think that Haley is one of those guys who is impatient when things aren't being done his way, so he reacted. But you could tell with his vague comments over the past few months regarding playcalling that the Gailey thing was in flux, because usually a HC doesn't talk about possibly taking over playcalling at some point during the season if need be, and he's mentioned that on a few occasions...

keg in kc
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Scott Egoli? Boy, he just can't get over that access thing can he.

Although maybe he's so used to the anti-carl shtick that he doesn't know how to do anything else. One-trick pony.

petegz28
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Whitlock is a dumbfuck....

petegz28
09-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Scott Egoli? Boy, he just can't get over that access thing can he.

Although maybe he's so used to the anti-carl shtick that he doesn't know how to do anything else. One-trick pony.

Whitlock is just pissed cause Piloli don't give 2-shits about Jason and his column

MMXcalibur
09-01-2009, 09:36 AM
First off, fuck Whitlock. He's just pissed at this new management because he's not getting the juicy tidbits he used to be getting under Carl's reign. Personally, I don't mind the move by Haley in firing Gailey. I would rather he fix a flaw now then use it as a "scapegoat" for the impending awful season that lies before us. That shows accountability and I respect that.

And everytime I read a post by Dane, I instinctively punch the computer screen. Is that normal?

Chiefnj2
09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
First off, **** Whitlock. He's just pissed at this new management because he's not getting the juicy tidbits he used to be getting under Carl's reign.

Yeah, Carl and his regime loved Whitlock. They used to give him tons of inside info.

MMXcalibur
09-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, Carl and his regime loved Whitlock. They used to give him tons of inside info.

Perhaps "tidbits" wasn't the right word....I was kind of referring to how he could blast Carl at every turn and the "epic battle" he created in his own mind between himself and the former Chiefs GM. Honestly, I have no idea what he's trying to do with Pioli here.....isn't this the guy everyone and their mother was seeking as their GM?

Christofire
09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I didn't read through all 16 pages of comments, so I apologize if someone else has already said these things:

1) Haley said that he had extensive discussions with Pioli and Hunt, so I think saying this was a kneejerk reaction is, well ... a kneejerk reaction.

2) Haley made a point of saying (paraphrased) "Now that I know what all of my responsibilities are as a head coach, I feel comfortable that I have time to give proper attention to the offensive coordinator role." That doesn't mean it's not still possible that he'll get overextended and burned out, but at least he took the time to see how his coaching schedule shook out before choosing to take it over.

3) I think the only way to really understand Haley's decision is to know intuitively the playcalling philosophy and situational tendencies each man has. I see Haley as aggressive every down, every distance. Gailey, maybe a little more conservative. I do think Haley knows the ins and outs of the offense he wants to run a little more intimately than Gailey does, so in the back of his mind there's a little bit of that "He doesn't fold laundry just the way I like it" going on (to use a marriage metaphor), and it's hard to get past that.

4) Not aimed at anyone in particular, but if you were ever one of those people who called Gunther a pussy for running the Cover Two out of loyalty to Herm, and not standing up for his own, aggressive way of running the defense, then I think you have no business criticizing Haley for this move. If Haley is going to go down in flames, he's going to go down firing his own bullets from his own gun. Amen, brother.

5) I think Whitlock is wrong in saying "He should have stuck it out for half the season." How does wasting people's time and careers help matters? If it only took three preseason games to figure out something isn't working, that's a pretty sharp observation. If it puts us four, five, six weeks ahead of the curve on offense, then spectacular.

All of that said, I hope Haley's decision doesn't explode in the Chiefs' face.

Coogs
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I have no idea what he's trying to do with Pioli here.....isn't this the guy everyone and their mother was seeking as their GM?

My guess is Whitlock was in on the Waters meeting with Pioli and Haley. Waters was going to relay the information on what was going on at Arrowhead to Whitlock, and Whitlock was going to have his column on the new Chiefs regime. Instead Waters got stiffed, and Whitlock has been pissed ever since.

Coogs
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I didn't read through all 16 pages of comments, so I apologize if someone else has already said these things:

1) Haley said that he had extensive discussions with Pioli and Hunt, so I think saying this was a kneejerk reaction is, well ... a kneejerk reaction.

2) Haley made a point of saying (paraphrased) "Now that I know what all of my responsibilities are as a head coach, I feel comfortable that I have time to give proper attention to the offensive coordinator role." That doesn't mean it's not still possible that he'll get overextended and burned out, but at least he took the time to see how his coaching schedule shook out before choosing to take it over.

3) I think the only way to really understand Haley's decision is to know intuitively the playcalling philosophy and situational tendencies each man has. I see Haley as aggressive every down, every distance. Gailey, maybe a little more conservative. I do think Haley knows the ins and outs of the offense he wants to run a little more intimately than Gailey does, so in the back of his mind there's a little bit of that "He doesn't fold laundry just the way I like it" going on (to use a marriage metaphor), and it's hard to get past that.

4) Not aimed at anyone in particular, but if you were ever one of those people who called Gunther a pussy for running the Cover Two out of loyalty to Herm, and not standing up for his own, aggressive way of running the defense, then I think you have no business criticizing Haley for this move. If Haley is going to go down in flames, he's going to go down firing his own bullets from his own gun. Amen, brother.

5) I think Whitlock is wrong in saying "He should have stuck it out for half the season." How does wasting people's time and careers help matters? If it only took three preseason games to figure out something isn't working, that's a pretty sharp observation. If it puts us four, five, six weeks ahead of the curve on offense, then spectacular.

Nice take.

Chiefnj2
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Whitlock's job is to generate hits and discussion. He does that. Pioli and Haley came into KC with a very hard ass approach to the media and fans - we'll tell you what we want, when we want, how we want and you'll like it. Does it really surprise anyone that the media is going to take shots at them when they get a chance?

Coogs
09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Whitlock's job is to generate hits and discussion. He does that. Pioli and Haley came into KC with a very hard ass approach to the media and fans - we'll tell you what we want, when we want, how we want and you'll like it. Does it really surprise anyone that the media is going to take shots at them when they get a chance?

To be honest, it does surprise me a little bit. Not that they take shots, but damn! Every single article. And Jack Harry.... wow! That bitter old codger rips on Pioli and Haley as bad if not worse than Whitlock.

Kind of sad actually.

OnTheWarpath15
09-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Excellent post. Rep.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM

This. It's not his job to sit back and write the following for his Chiefs articles:

"PILOI"!
Well, that's it for this week folks"! "See ya' next time"!

The season is underway, the product is on the field, and there's enough "In Pioli I Trust"-nonsense in the Chiefs Nation w/o Fatlock adding to it.