PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Cajun food appreciation thread

rambleonthruthefog
09-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Pulled some leftover gumbo out of the freezer last night, and d*mn my wife makes a good gumbo. i also like some good boudin, a crawfish pie, or a crawfish boil for that matter. what are your favorites, and where can ya get em?

Demonpenz
09-02-2009, 09:30 AM
i like cajun catfish

Bob Dole
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Nothing like boiling up a bunch of fish bait with some corn and taters.

Gonzo
09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Nothing like boiling up a bunch of fish bait with some corn and taters.

Fing A....

Love me some mud bugs

Phobia
09-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I like all of it. Never had a cajun concoction I wouldn't love.

tooge
09-02-2009, 10:12 AM
same here. Cajun food is probably my favorite of all. I dont do it enough because I like it hot and the kids dont.

Radar Chief
09-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I like all of it. Never had a cajun concoction I wouldn't love.

Same here.
Favorite is etouffee but the sauce is so rich I end up paying for it later.

blaise
09-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Redfish and andouille

ChiefJustice
09-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Jambalaya

I have yet to taste a better version than my recipe....

Then again,mine is really about taking what i like best about Prudomme and a few other recipes.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
i like it all.

rambleonthruthefog
09-02-2009, 10:50 AM
lets not forget Po-boys, dirty rice, or red beans.

Fire Me Boy!
09-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Here to appreciate the Cajun food.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Same here.
Favorite is etouffee but the sauce is so rich I end up paying for it later.

Always considered etoufee more a creole dish than cajun. There is a diffrence in the the two styles.

blaise
09-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Always considered etoufee more a creole dish than cajun. There is a diffrence in the the two styles.

I know there's a difference, but I do think most of the cajun places I've been to have etoufee on the menu. Maybe they're just adopted it as part of the region.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
beniets, turducken, food of the gods.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I know there's a difference, but I do think most of the cajun places I've been to have etoufee on the menu. Maybe they're just adopted it as part of the region.

It is a region type thing. But you wouldnt expect a KC style BBQ place to serve Stl. style under a kc banner. just sayin.

blaise
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
It is a region type thing. But you wouldnt expect a KC style BBQ place to serve Stl. style under a kc banner. just sayin.

I don't know, I'm certainly no expert. I've only driven through Louisiana. I used to go to cajun restaurants down in Houston when I lived there- there's a decent amount of Louisiana transplants there and you can find quite a bit of cajun. Most places that identify themselves as cajun have etoufee on the menu, but again, maybe they're just saying their menu is more Louisiana than cajun, I don't know. Either way, etoufee is good stuff.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
chicory coffee mmmmmm.......

blaise
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
And let me say that if you say it's creole, I'll take your word for it. I'm sure you know better than me.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Where are you BOCF!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Blacken it. Serve it. Good to go.

Fishpicker
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I love crawfish etouffee and blackened catfish. my favorite place to get Cajun food was Magnolia cafe in Wichita. that closed down and the only cajun resturants in Wichita were Red beans on the Bayou. (the Applebee's approach to Cajun food)

Hibachi Hut in Manhattan has pretty decent Cajun food too.

ChiefJustice
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Blacken it. Serve it. Good to go.

http://bizarrerecords.com/galleries/cajun/WilsonWhooo.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
That'll work.

BY1401
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Jambalaya
This.

...dirty rice, or red beans.

And this.

BigVE
09-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I love crawfish etouffee and blackened catfish. my favorite place to get Cajun food was Magnolia cafe in Wichita. that closed down and the only cajun resturants in Wichita were Red beans on the Bayou. (the Applebee's approach to Cajun food)

Hibachi Hut in Manhattan has pretty decent Cajun food too.

I just had cajun food for the first time last week and absolutely loved it. There is a place in Wichita called "Da' Cajun Shack" that some dude from New Orleans opened up a while back. We had some sort of mixed platter and got to sample fried gator bites, fried oysters (not my fav but not bad), crawfish and probably the best fried catfish I have ever had. Along with that they had jumbalaya, dirty rice and fried okra on the side. A lot of food for around 26 bucks (yea, we split it).

rambleonthruthefog
09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Acadiana_Louisiana_region_map.svg/666px-Acadiana_Louisiana_region_map.svg.png

the highlighted areas are "acadiana" with the darker area being the "heart acadiana/cajun country". cajun's are french canadiens who were kicked out of canada and pretty much every coastel establishment along the atlantic and gulf coast until they found a home in present day LA.

http://76.12.172.34/pics/creole-map.jpg
this map shows creole infuence. Louisiana Creole is a blending of three different ethnic influences: the west European, west African, and includes a significant input from the Native American.

all this comes together today in cajun/creole food.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
IMO creole is more about the sauce and how you present the food much like the french style. Where as cajun is more country and gettin down to brass tacs.

KCChiefsMan
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I haven't had enough Cajun cuisine, I need to change that.

MOhillbilly
09-02-2009, 03:46 PM
hot pickled okra:thumb:

Valiant
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I like the spices of Cajun food, not so much some of the seafood..

BigVE
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
hot pickled okra:thumb:

We just canned about 10 quart jars full of this stuff.....LOVE IT!

Pioli Zombie
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
www.doodie.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Halfcan
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I love cajun food and make the best Creo in town. So I have been told.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I love cajun food and make the best Creo in town. So I have been told.

Worthless w/o drop-shipping a plate to all Planet Members.

Halfcan
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Worthless w/o drop-shipping a plate to all Planet Members.

Next time I make it (Chiefs Season Opener) it will be available to any non Fader planeteer. :D

boogblaster
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Had new neighbors move in close they cook lots of cajun its all been real good ..

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Next time I make it (Chiefs Season Opener) it will be available to any non Fader planeteer. :D

WOOT!:rockon:

Pioli Zombie
09-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Louisiana Kitchen is awesome. One at Legends and the other on 39th I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Louisiana Kitchen is awesome. One at Legends and the other on 39th I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

You talkin' about the place that advertises tamales on 39th? Used to be down by Main, then moved up to Broadway?

gblowfish
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I had one of the worst dining experiences at Jazz several years ago. Haven't been back since.
I've gotten good Cajun food in Arkansas and Texas. Never been to Louisiana, but hope to make it there some day.

Because of this thread, I got the "Cajun Fries" at Five Guys Burgers yesterday. Spicy!!

kindra68
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
It’s funky and rainy here so I asked GISUW to make a little kettle of gumbo for supper, having a Cajun in the house has it benefits…

rambleonthruthefog
09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
It’s funky and rainy here so I asked GISUW to make a little kettle of gumbo for supper, having a Cajun in the house has it benefits…

my wife doesn't know how to make a little kettle. its a bigazz pot of gumbo or no gumbo. i assume it takes just as long?

BigOlChiefsfan
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
The difference between Creole and Cajun? In a nutshell: Creole = you have cooks on staff who turns out food you could serve to Napolean. Cajun = your mama made it with stuff you killed or caught. There's a little more to it than that, but haute Creole is urbane, urban and labor intensive (and delicious!) while Cajun is really rural/peasant cooking, Acadian style (and delicious!). Slowly simmered on the back of the stove rather than 18 sous chef's chopping stuff for 3 sauciers.
I like 'em both. Commander's Palace and Tujaques are Creole restaurants, K-Pauls is mainly Cajun, tho' Prudhomme cooked at Commander's before he got his own gig. I normally go w/creole food over cajun if I'm at a NOLA restaurant - even 'difficult' cajun stuff I can pretty much make at home. Not so with most anything on the menu at Commander's. Grits and Grillauds, pompano en papillotte, turtle soup, bread pudding souffle. Shrimp remoulade (some this I can make, not much of it is 'fun' for me).
The Ex was from NOLA and showed me most of her fave places, your best place for po' boys fer instance. Who still makes 'Calas', the rice fritters that were French Quarter breakfasts 100 years ago and almost impossible to find now. Where to get the good 'cap' bread for a muffalotta sammitch, best "ersterloaf", who made the best Pimm's Cup cocktail (never learned to like those, left 'em for her and the sisters). A heckuva nice city to visit but it was always a dangerous town. She was related to several local judges and said 'If some junky tries to rob us shoot first, they'll keep you out of Angola'. I slept with one eye open. Wouldn't live there on a $2 bet, my brothers-in-law would drink me out of house and home.
I'd live near Lafayette if I had to live in La Louisianne. I prefer creole food but like most cajuns mo' bettah than most Yats. The cajuns work all day and have a great time eating, singing and dancing at night. Most of them yats just sleep all day, and rob each other all night.

kindra68
09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
my wife doesn't know how to make a little kettle. its a bigazz pot of gumbo or no gumbo. i assume it takes just as long?
Heh, I ask for a little kettle. But he always cooks it a pot that is just a bit smaller than a restaurant stockpot.

(I’m not sure if that’s a Cajun or Southern thing cause I have been known to cook my chicken N’ dumplin’s in the same pot!)

Kerberos
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Hibachi Hut in Manhattan KS

I haven't eaten there in years but they used to have a Cajun BloddyMary that was pretty F***ing hot and tasty.

Their Jambalaya and Shrimp Creole was the one thing I would order without reservation. DAMN good and spicy.

MOhillbilly
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
The difference between Creole and Cajun? In a nutshell: Creole = you have cooks on staff who turns out food you could serve to Napolean. Cajun = your mama made it with stuff you killed or caught. There's a little more to it than that, but haute Creole is urbane, urban and labor intensive (and delicious!) while Cajun is really rural/peasant cooking, Acadian style (and delicious!). Slowly simmered on the back of the stove rather than 18 sous chef's chopping stuff for 3 sauciers.
I like 'em both. Commander's Palace and Tujaques are Creole restaurants, K-Pauls is mainly Cajun, tho' Prudhomme cooked at Commander's before he got his own gig. I normally go w/creole food over cajun if I'm at a NOLA restaurant - even 'difficult' cajun stuff I can pretty much make at home. Not so with most anything on the menu at Commander's. Grits and Grillauds, pompano en papillotte, turtle soup, bread pudding souffle. Shrimp remoulade (some this I can make, not much of it is 'fun' for me).
The Ex was from NOLA and showed me most of her fave places, your best place for po' boys fer instance. Who still makes 'Calas', the rice fritters that were French Quarter breakfasts 100 years ago and almost impossible to find now. Where to get the good 'cap' bread for a muffalotta sammitch, best "ersterloaf", who made the best Pimm's Cup cocktail (never learned to like those, left 'em for her and the sisters). A heckuva nice city to visit but it was always a dangerous town. She was related to several local judges and said 'If some junky tries to rob us shoot first, they'll keep you out of Angola'. I slept with one eye open. Wouldn't live there on a $2 bet, my brothers-in-law would drink me out of house and home.
I'd live near Lafayette if I had to live in La Louisianne. I prefer creole food but like most cajuns mo' bettah than most Yats. The cajuns work all day and have a great time eating, singing and dancing at night. Most of them yats just sleep all day, and rob each other all night.

muffalotta mmmmmmm now in hungry. My woman is from long beach MS. and is down as they come when it comes to southern/cajun food though i prefer mine well amped to hers. Did i tell you i found a place that makes fresh aundouille in town? And i now have my own ok. joe smoker so tasso is on the list.
Cheers bro.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice! One brother-in-law owned a meat market, I got spoiled on good andouille and boudin blanc. Eat mo' bettah.