PDA

View Full Version : Football Oh those wacky, wacky Lions

LaChapelle
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-lionsqb090109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Carpet burns bumbling Lions

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
15 hours, 20 minutes ago

Buzz up! PrintIn the cursed and comedic annals of the Detroit Lions – the 0-16 campaign, the one playoff victory in 51 seasons – it makes perfect sense that their quarterback competition might be decided by a pile of Saxony.

Actually, we’re not sure what kind of carpet Daunte Culpepper(notes) has at his house. We only know that Lions coach Jim Schwartz told the Detroit Free Press the veteran QB “sort of stubbed” his foot on some carpet and it required eight stitches. The bizarre injury may be enough to force Culpepper out of Thursday’s preseason finale that was supposed to decide the starting quarterback’s job.

Now rookie Matthew Stafford(notes), the No. 1 overall pick out of Georgia, is in strong position to take the job for Week 1. It’s not like there’s any other competition as third-stringer Drew Stanton(notes) is out with a knee injury too.

Tuesday at practice, the Lions used just one quarterback, Stafford.

“We put an ad on craigslist for a quarterback today for practice, but nobody answered,” Schwartz joked.

....more at link

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Obligatory carpet burn reference forthcoming.

jwazzie
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
doesn't "sort of stubbed" mean "sort of ate" the carpet in Culpepper terms.

JD10367
09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
How the hell do you "sort of stub" your toe to the tune of eight stitches? Eight?!? That's pretty much "the toe was holding on by a thread" territory. Moron.

Buck
09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Its the infamous Lake Minnetonka Carpet burn....aka Chlamydia.

Consistent1
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I say that Detroit is just as well off putting Stafford's ass out there. He got some big money, now he can earn it. I don't want to get blitzed for saying this, but he has more weapons to work with than Cassel had before his injury. Finding offensive lines as shaky as the Chiefs have is tough to do also. If KC had Stafford, he would have ended up starting with dregs as a supporting cast. The Lions could honestly surprise some this year. I think that all things considered, they are in a better position to have fans predict 6-8 wins than KC is right now. Even with fucking "Gun".

Mojo Jojo
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Remember when George Brett had to go on IR for stubbing his toe while doing laundry?

tooge
09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey Dante, the toe is farther down. Thats called a clitoris.

Mr. Krab
09-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I say that Detroit is just as well off putting Stafford's ass out there. He got some big money, now he can earn it. I don't want to get blitzed for saying this, but he has more weapons to work with than Cassel had before his injury. Finding offensive lines as shaky as the Chiefs have is tough to do also. If KC had Stafford, he would have ended up starting with dregs as a supporting cast. The Lions could honestly surprise some this year. I think that all things considered, they are in a better position to have fans predict 6-8 wins than KC is right now. Even with fucking "Gun".
I woudn't start Stafford, he is too important to there franchise. You should always err to the side of caution when dealing with a rookie QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Nope. Time to go to work and learn.

milkman
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Matt Stafford accurately placed that razor right where it needed to be.

Buehler445
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Nope. Time to go to work and learn.

Joey Harrington much?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Joey Harrington much?
Posted via Mobile Device

:rolleyes:

B come on... There are plenty that succeed and plenty that fail... Dont fall in the lines of the true fans...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Joey Harrington much?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you've got the line, it's workin' time!

Mr. Krab
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Nope, the rookie can learn sitting on the bench for at least a few games. They can learn what it takes to play and get ready for a pro game each week. They can never learn too much about the offense or the game itself. I've yet to hear about what is wrong about sitting a rookie QB. No win this season is more important for the lions than long term success for Stafford.

Mr. Krab
09-02-2009, 03:40 PM

B come on... There are plenty that succeed and plenty that fail... Dont fall in the lines of the true fans...
Do you say "true fan" in every post you make nowadays?

Lame

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

T-post Tom
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey Dante, the toe is farther down. Thats called a clitoris.

ROFL

T-post Tom
09-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Jake Plummer Redux

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM

I think it's time for an updated treatise on True Fandom. We've passed the draft and while the original Jenkins Treatise lays a strong foundation, there is yet more that must be observed and recorded.

An updated document with a poll to follow is sure to cure the pre season doldrums.

Thoughts?

Easy 6
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I woudn't start Stafford, he is too important to there franchise. You should always err to the side of caution when dealing with a rookie QB.

Gotta agree here, he'll be the next Rick Mirer if they rush it.

If he was on a strong team, that'd be different...but he's not, not by a long shot...Calvin Johnson or no.