PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: These quarterbacks are terrible

Tribal Warfare
09-04-2009, 12:17 AM
These quarterbacks are terrible (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1423737.html)
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

ST. LOUIS | From a Chiefs perspective, there was a lot to like Thursday night inside the Edward Jones Dome.

In Kansas City’s preseason finale, the Chiefs’ starting offensive line and defensive front seven had their way with the overmatched and rebuilding St. Louis Rams.

Dantrell Savage and Larry Johnson combined for 129 rushing yards in seven carries in the first half, dashing through gaping holes opened by KC’s previously maligned offensive line. Defensively, coordinator Clancy Pendergast, as he’s done throughout the preseason, continued to unveil perfectly executed zone blitzes. Tamba Hali and Corey Mays each sacked Kyle Boller. KC’s defense also snuffed the St. Louis running game, holding the Rams to 2.7 yards per carry in 15 first-half attempts. Chiefs safety Dajuan Morgan snagged a beautiful interception deep in St. Louis territory.

So why were the Chiefs ahead by two stinking points (9-7) and without a touchdown after 30 minutes of play? Why did the Rams drop the Chiefs to 0-4 in exhibition play with a 17-9 victory?

Well, it might have a little something to do with the quarterback play.

Never in my life have I seen two NFL quarterbacks play as poorly against subpar competition as Brodie Croyle and Tyler Thigpen managed Thursday night.

It probably took all the strength first-time head coach Todd Haley could muster to not suit up and quarterback the Chiefs himself during the second half.

Croyle got the start in place of the injured Sixty Million Dollar Man (Matt Cassel). It was a great opportunity for the man Herm Edwards envisioned as the Chiefs’ franchise quarterback of the future. Croyle had a chance to sew up the No. 2 job against one of the league’s worst defenses.

He had the benefit of a productive running game. And except for an occasional lapse by right tackle Damion Sackintosh, Croyle enjoyed solid pass protection.

He completed just five of 16 passes for 85 yards. He repeatedly overthrew open receivers downfield, and he underthrew receivers standing right in front of him.

His performance was embarrassing. But it was likely good enough to win the No. 2 job. Thigpen was that bad.

In seven attempts, Thigpen completed two passes to the Chiefs and two passes to the Rams. His three other throws fell incomplete.

You have to think fourth-stringer Matt Gutierrez might be chosen Cassel’s backup. He couldn’t be any worse. Plus, he rode the same Bill Belichick-Tom Brady gravy train that so impresses first-time general manager Scott Egoli.

Gutierrez didn’t put any points on the board in mop-up action, but he managed to leave the field without embarrassing himself or his family.

It’s going to be interesting to see whether any quarterback can excel playing for Todd Hothead. I’ve never been a fan of Croyle’s or Thigpen’s, but they’ve certainly played better than what they showed Thursday night.

Are they cracking under the pressure of playing for head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Todd Haley? Has Haley threatened to fire them?

How many off-the-street quarterbacks do you think Haley could argue would be better than Croyle or Thigpen?

Here’s what’s scary. Throughout training camp, no one argued that Cassel looked any sharper than Croyle or Thigpen.

We have no earthly idea whether Cassel is any good. He’s done nothing in the preseason to distinguish himself. Well, actually, because of the knee injury he suffered last week, Cassel has done nothing.

There’s a chance we’ll get our first extended look at Cassel at Baltimore. Wow.

You could make the case that Cassel should be left on the shelf until after Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are done with the Chiefs. No way Haley is going into his first game as an NFL head coach with Croyle or Thigpen as his starter if the Sixty Million Dollar Man has been medically cleared to play.

No way. Haley fired Chan Gailey because he thinks the Chiefs can score points and win games. Haley knows he has many skeptics. He wants to prove them wrong as soon as possible.

The only way he can is if Cassel is significantly better than Croyle and Thigpen and able to stay healthy despite a leaky right side of the line.

dirk digler
09-04-2009, 12:21 AM
water is wet

chiefs1111
09-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Moving along...

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 12:23 AM
We have no earthly idea whether Cassel is any good.

No, Jason, you have no idea.

Because you are ignorant.

POND_OF_RED
09-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Great. Won't be long until we have to read an article suggesting we sign Jeff George.

big nasty kcnut
09-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Fuck you fatlock.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
09-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Fuck you fatlock.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very insightful.

kcxiv
09-04-2009, 12:30 AM
WE really dont know if Cassell is any good in our offense. Dude had a hell of a team in New England to back him up. Here? not so much.

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 12:31 AM
WE really dont know if Cassell is any good in our offense. Dude had a hell of a team in New England to back him up. Here? not so much.

Ignorant.

DaneMcCloud
09-04-2009, 12:33 AM
I really hope that Whitlock continues to rape the 'Planet for phrases and story ideas.

"Sackintosh"?

Paypal me, Dude.

Mecca
Um dude there is nothing wrong with saying we don't know if Cassel is any good right now.

MMXcalibur
Like it or not, Croyle's the man entering Baltimore if Cassel isn't ready. If that is the case, I expect Larry Johnson to get about 45 carries....whether the running game is working or not.

Hootie
09-04-2009, 12:37 AM
I know J-Dub loves his "King Carl" creation...but Egoli just doesn't click.

Silock
09-04-2009, 12:42 AM
I thought Brodie played pretty decently for having dudes up in his grill on 99% of the plays. Plus, he didn't break, so that's a plus.

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I really hope that Whitlock continues to rape the 'Planet for phrases and story ideas.

"Sackintosh"?

Paypal me, Dude.

I coined that'n last year.

SO FUCK OFF!

:evil:

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Um dude there is nothing wrong with saying we don't know if Cassel is any good right now.

Yes there is.

It's an ignorant statement.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Yes there is.

It's an ignorant statement.

It's only ignorant that if you so badly want him to be good you just assume he is.

So far in a Chiefs uni he hasn't show much of anything.

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 12:53 AM

He's shown that he's precisely what he showed he was in New England.

He's shown the same level of play, and nothing that should make us believe what he showed last year was fraudulent.

He's certainly been the best, most accurate quarterback on the roster. Without question.

kcpasco
09-04-2009, 12:54 AM
It's only ignorant that if you so badly want him to be good you just assume he is.

And to be fair, Manning would get crushed behind our line.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 12:56 AM
And to be fair, Manning would get crushed behind our line.

The Colts line is kind of shitty..without Manning that is like a very bad team.

kcpasco
09-04-2009, 12:59 AM
The Colts line is kind of shitty..without Manning that is like a very bad team.

Its still way ahead of what we got, I seriously think you could stick a post in a bucket of sand on the right side of our line and get the same amount of production.

big nasty kcnut
09-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Fatlock wishes he had my mad writing skills.
Posted via Mobile Device

orange
09-04-2009, 01:27 AM

I dunno... "Leggo my Egoli!"... it's got a kind of ring to it.

kcxiv
09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Ignorant.

And why is that? Dude started only 1 year since highschool. The team he did start for was a Championship calibur team. Just came off a season where they shattered offensive records and went 18-1 the previous season. He was handed the keys to the Roll's. I am not saying he cant be good. We just dont know if he will be good in KC. Scott Mitchell looked awesome when he got his chance. Went to another team and didnt do so great. Just saying that we dont really know. If so, please explain why. I would really like something other then ooh he had a good year for New England. That team has been the best team this decade.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
He's shown that he's precisely what he showed he was in New England.

He's shown the same level of play, and nothing that should make us believe what he showed last year was fraudulent.

He's certainly been the best, most accurate quarterback on the roster. Without question.

With even average protection, he can make the chicken salad. With the current right side, he'll be lucky to even get a rhythm going.

If Pioli can't find serviceable right side guys when the next round of cuts happen; Cassel is fucked.

kcxiv
09-04-2009, 01:30 AM
The Colts line is kind of shitty..without Manning that is like a very bad team.Yep, last year his line wasnt good. I remember hearing about it on the NFL network. Dude is just that fucking good of a quarterback. He went overall number 1 for a reason. Yes, some qb's dont turn out, but this guy did. lol. He is the best QB of this decade. He just suffered from his defense not being that great for a number of years. We all know how that was in 2003 lol

BWillie
09-04-2009, 01:37 AM
What's the Quinn Gray guy doing that we used to just bring in to play in the fourth preseason game? Doesn't he like sell insurance in Overland Park or something? Let's sign him. Boom. Championship.

salame
09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
it really was a sorry game

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 02:09 AM
it really was a sorry game

"Governors Cup"?

That game wasn't worth a cup of Herm-piss.

salame
09-04-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm sure the governor is beside themself

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm sure the governor is beside themself

That game has been the most dull, depressing piece of shit for years now.

salame
09-04-2009, 02:16 AM
I liked the chiefs running game but then I was all like

OH st louis

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 02:18 AM
I liked the chiefs running game but then I was all like

OH st louis

LMAO

I missed the first half, didn't care. There's no offense without Cassel.

salame
09-04-2009, 02:23 AM
LMAO

I missed the first half, didn't care. There's no offense without Cassel.

well, if the chiefs can play a 2nd team o-line and get big running lanes like they did tonight cassele' will have a field day

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 02:26 AM
well, if the chiefs can play a 2nd team o-line and get big running lanes like they did tonight cassele' will have a field day

I've got this image in my head of LJ running behind a combine on the field as the combine is tossing defenders in the air left and right, and there's a bubble above his head that says:

"Crank it up to 6MPH; I'm feeling FRISKY"!

salame
09-04-2009, 02:27 AM
he looked kind of spry but he wont be outrunning any d-backs anymore unless it's lawyer milloy or ty law

kysirsoze
09-04-2009, 02:31 AM
He's really sticking with Egoli, huh? :shake:

salame
09-04-2009, 02:34 AM
He's really sticking with Egoli, huh? :shake:

sad right?

LaChapelle
09-04-2009, 05:03 AM
In Kansas City’s preseason finale, the Chiefs’ starting offensive line and defensive front seven had their way with the overmatched and rebuilding St. Louis Rams.

He had the benefit of a productive running game. And except for an occasional lapse by right tackle Damion Sackintosh, Croyle enjoyed solid pass protection

The only way he can is if Cassel is significantly better than Croyle and Thigpen and able to stay healthy despite a leaky right side of the line.

-Which the **** is it? Re-invent yourself you washed up hack. 80s tv themes, come on.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Why does it surprise everyone so much that we change offensive coordinators in the middle of the week and the QB's struggle in the next game? Oh, and on a short week?

I don't know how much of a change was involved. I originally assumed not much, but Croyle said that it was a challenge and they were learning new stuff.

There is a reason guys start putting in the offense in May. Its about more than just knowing the plays, it's timing, execution and repetition. It is about getting to where you aren't 'thinking', but rather reacting.

I am not saying that Chan should not have been fired, but I am saying this should come as no surprise.

The good news is that we will have a year of OJT for the offense this year.... so next year when they come into camp.... we will have a lot of experience in this offense.

Bob Dole
09-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Good lord. It's like a freshman comp rough draft that failed peer review.

CHIEFS58
09-04-2009, 06:12 AM
i could literally fart and come up with a better column than anything whitlock the hutt has ever spit out. hes nothing but a fat, even MORE belligerent Stephen A. Smith.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2009, 06:19 AM

IM not ready to call Cassel a HoF'er but hes proven he can play effectively and win games in this league.

Croyle and Thigpen never have.

Why does JWhit act all shocked they played bad?? They are who we all thought they were.

He says they have played better before......perhaps, but neither one has ever proven they can do the little things to win ballgames consistantly.

Chiefnj2
09-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Jason must have wanted an early start to his holiday weekend. He mailed it in on this one.

SAUTO
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I coined that'n last year.

SO FUCK OFF!

:evil:

you probably stole it too....

Rooster
09-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Agreed.. It's pretty weak.

keg in kc
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
The only thing worse than the quarterbacks was that column.

wazu
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
We have no earthly idea whether Cassel is any good. He’s done nothing in the preseason to distinguish himself.

Really? I thought he looked great in the Minnesota game. His QB rating for the preseason is 92.9. Croyle, Thigpen, and Gutierrez have ratings of 69.4, 32.8, and 64.5, respectively.

LaChapelle
09-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Gretz puts out a hell of a lot better article. Carl's dick was weighing him down.

orange
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
His QB rating for the preseason is 92.9

On his whopping 19 attempts.

40 QBs have a better rating.

Chris Simms is 117.7 on 24 atts, with twice the TDs. Bow down to the mighty Broncos passing corps.

Or bring back Damon the Duck - 124.8 - plus the added bonus of actual WINS with the KC Chiefs.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
On his whopping 19 attempts.

40 QBs have a better rating.

Chris Simms is 117.7 on 24 atts, with twice the TDs. Bow down to the mighty Broncos passing corps.

Or bring back Damon the Duck - 124.8 - plus the added bonus of actual WINS with the KC Chiefs.

I like his QB rating last December...You know, when the Pats were in the middle of the playoff hunt.

L.A. Chieffan
09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
i smeeell tebow bitches!

orange
09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I like his QB rating last December...You know, when Cassel was in the middle of the Pats.

Times and teams change.

Ebolapox
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Very insightful.

well, I guess he's not 'good at the draft' like some of us are.

Messier
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Times and teams change.

"I know"

-Kyle Orton

DaWolf
09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Fair's fair. Haley said that no one out there owes this team anything and they weren't going to have people on their side until they go out and win ballgames, so until then Whitlock will rip away. And he should. A lot has to be proven to us that these guys can turn it around.

But I think it is naive to think turning it around is going to happen overnight...

L.A. Chieffan
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
here we goooo teeebow, here we go! clap clapclap

penchief
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

True, but he's being petty when he continues to refer to Cassel as the sixty-million dollar man. It's just a way to keep getting a dig in. Whitlock is always waging a campaign. He really needs to grow up and stop being so petty.

Coach
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Fair's fair. Haley said that no one out there owes this team anything and they weren't going to have people on their side until they go out and win ballgames, so until then Whitlock will rip away. And he should. A lot has to be proven to us that these guys can turn it around.

But I think it is naive to think turning it around is going to happen overnight...

But I also think it's naive to think that the QB's are that terrible, with the exception of Thigpen. You wonder at times, would Brodie made some of those long throws if the protection was adequeate enough?

I mean, really, that one series where Brodie got sacked three times in a row? I can see why Brodie struggled, because he had no confidence on the line.

salame
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM

I think he is going to NE

orange
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
"I know"

-Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton over his last 19 attempts (Matt Cassel territory) has a QB Rating well over 90.

Yes, times and teams do change and he's more than happy about it.

Of course, you could say that 19 attempts really doesn't show much of anything.

Whitlock did.

We have no earthly idea whether Cassel is any good. He’s done nothing in the preseason to distinguish himself. Well, actually, because of the knee injury he suffered last week, Cassel has done nothing.

StcChief
09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
another long season ahead.....

Demonpenz
09-04-2009, 12:06 PM
the tebow copter is getting gassed up!

RippedmyFlesh
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
the tebow copter is getting gassed up!

For a short flight to Jacksonville

CoMoChief
09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
If Brodie had time to check at least a couple options.....he'd be a good QB.

He just needs to get a good timing down with the #1's. He made some really good throws. Bowe probably should have caught that one in the endzone.

And of course he needs to stay healthy, that's obviously the main thing. Can't play if youre hurt.

Messier
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Kyle Orton over his last 19 attempts (Matt Cassel territory) has a QB Rating well over 90.

Yes, times and teams do change and he's more than happy about it.

Of course, you could say that 19 attempts really doesn't show much of anything.

Whitlock did.

Would you rather have Orton over Cassel?

orange
09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Would you rather have Orton over Cassel?

Yes, barely. I don't like Cassel and was glad he didn't end up here (not that I ever thought there was any real chance of that happening).

I'm blase' about Orton. He's shown enough at Chicago that he might do well in McDaniels' system. But it's not costing much to find out.

Hopefully Brandstater is the Next Great Sixth Round QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Climb-a burn-ing buil-ding

and jump-off! Splat-Splat-Splat!

:D

Spicy McHaggis
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Scott Egoli.

Reach.