PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What Players are Progressing?

Chief Faithful
09-04-2009, 07:10 AM
We hear it in press conferences and read it in the papers where coaches are looking for and players striving to improve daily. So now I ask the fans on CP what players in your opinion improved each and every preseason game and who has regressed?

The biggest improvement from game 1 to game 4 I believe has been DeJaun Morgan. In game one he could do nothing right leaving many of us to believe the game was just too big for him. Each game he played better and after last nights performance I am beginning to believe the guy will be a quality starting safety in the NFL.

As for regress, if it is possible Thigpen has gotten worse each week. This guy simply cannot play under center. This is his third year and while I once thought he could become a quality backup I now believe he would be better off switching to receiver.

So many of you hang on every play like I do and would like to hear who has impressed you with continuous improvement and who has regressed to the point you have given up on them?

Mr. Arrowhead
09-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Tamba has impressed this preseason

kepp
09-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Morgan really showed up last night. He was everywhere. I'm excited about Cory Mayes too. Unfortunately, none of our receivers have shown anything IMO. Of course, the QBs haven't had ideal throwing conditions.

Chief Faithful
09-04-2009, 07:32 AM
I agree with Tamba and Mayes they have been pleasant surprises. Another player that has progressed through camp is Sean Ryan. Under Haley he could do well this season.

I'm still not sure what we have with receivers. Thigpen has been soooo bad while receiving the most playing time to prove himself. The receivers look so much better with Brodie than Thigpen I believe part of the problem is QB. But, there is an obvious dropoff after Bowe and Bradley.

bringbackmarty
09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Colquitt, he booted a 60 yarder out of his own endzone last night, and I don't think he got all of it either.

Chiefnj2
09-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Tamba is doing better than most thought he would, but I fear it will be short lived. Teams will start to game plan to have him drop into coverage more and his lack of coverage experience will be exposed.

RedThat
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Ryan Succop.

Take away the Seahawks game and he's kicking like a Probowler. He's been solid. Im impressed w/ the way he bounced back after a bad game kicking 3 FG's last night. That's a good sign.

His kickoffs have been dandy and consistent. Also, special teams coverage is better, tackling is better on special teams. Jevon Belcher has been pretty stout on special teams.

Good kicks, good coverage, better tackling=improvement on special teams

bringbackmarty
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Both starting corners are playing well.

Succop? Other than one bad game he looks like our mvp.

Ryan looked good, know he's a vet, but if he can keep making those type of catches consistently he's better than half the starting Te's in the league.

Quinten Lawrence is progressing in the return game if last night is any indication.

Jamaal is growing, may not get it in the end, but he is becoming aware of what he needs to do. I think the fumbles will go away, that is a curable problem.

I'll be interested to see our dline and lbers go with and against a real game plan. If they keep improving like they have been, we might be a top defense real soon.

booyaf2
09-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I'll be interested to see our dline and lbers go with and against a real game plan. If they keep improving like they have been, we might be a top defense real soon.
ROFL

Consistent1
09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
LJ is going to rush for an incredible 10,000 yards this season. 60-70 TD's for sure. He does not even need progress. The writing is on the wall. Seriously, why can't they just cut his ass, and move on? He has never been a positive for the future. I am still confused as to why the team went through some process with him to diminish his worth, question the fact that they are obligated to pay his ass, and then kept him. My hope is that they would hold on to him and cut his ass when he would have a tougher time learning another team's system. Last minute cut for LJ works for me. Even if he went off for 3000 yards, this team would still suck and he would be another year older. Wait dude...Jay-Z just texted me....Gotta go answer the door....Oh hell no, they have gu

EyePod
09-04-2009, 08:03 AM
LJ is going to rush for an incredible 10,000 yards this season. 60-70 TD's for sure. He does not even need progress. The writing is on the wall. Seriously, why can't they just cut his ass, and move on? He has never been a positive for the future. I am still confused as to why the team went through some process with him to diminish his worth, question the fact that they are obligated to pay his ass, and then kept him. My hope is that they would hold on to him and cut his ass when he would have a tougher time learning another team's system. Last minute cut for LJ works for me. Even if he went off for 3000 yards, this team would still suck and he would be another year older. Wait dude...Jay-Z just texted me....Gotta go answer the door....Oh hell no, they have gu

I really wish people like you would just unplug your computers. LJ had a great game, how can you say he didn't look good? He had lanes and he used them well, then they took him out after what, the 1st drive? He'll be even better once he can get in a rhythm...

Consistent1
09-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the neg rep my friend. LJ is going to win us a ton of games this year.

Chiefs=Champions
09-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Donald Washington for sure... i thought he was going to be a bust after the first few games, but he really stepped it up this week...

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Mayes has been the biggest suprise I've noticed.

I'm really excited about our defense. I think they're going to be stout this year.

Our offense has looked poor, BUT, with Cassel back and our starters playing all four quarters we have potential to be decent. Charles is explosive and Bowe,Bradley and Lelie will make a decent if not good receiving core.

I feel better this year about our team as a whole since Marty was HC.

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
The D looks pretty respectable across the board. I'd say the O is (understatement) a huge disappointment. Albert seems to look pretty solid, and I guess Waters is still fine. But, it was really sobering watching both Croyle and Thiggy shit down their own legs last night. Croyle was pretty damn dismal, with the exception of the really nice pass to Ryan. Other than that, it didn't look like he could hit the broadside of a barn. Thigpen...ah shit what can you say. This guy looks exactly like what he is, an empty headed no talent athletic guy who plays with heart. Save that shit for a Disney movie.

This season is gonna be painful.

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Mayes has been the biggest suprise I've noticed.

I'm really excited about our defense. I think they're going to be stout this year.

Our offense has looked poor, BUT, with Cassel back and our starters playing all four quarters we have potential to be decent. Charles is explosive and Bowe,Bradley and Lelie will make a decent if not good receiving core.

I feel better this year about our team as a whole since Marty was HC.

man, I hope so. I do think we will get better, I guess I was just hoping for\expecting too much too soon.

PunkinDrublic
09-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I haven't seen much of the Chiefs preseason games this year, but I have a gut feeling Haleys tough love on Bowe is going to pay off and he will break some of the bad habits that hurt his consistancy last year. I'm sure D Bowe doesn't like being shown up by his coach and hated being in his doghouse throughout training camp but you haven't heard him cry about it to the media. I think Haley has gained a little credibility for helping Larry Fitzgerald become a stud wide reciever so he's more than just a coach who is a hardass for the sake of being a hardass.

the Talking Can
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
vrabel

looks to me the guy is rounding into shape and still has some game left, along with a lot of savy...

Rain Man
09-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Donald Washington for sure... i thought he was going to be a bust after the first few games, but he really stepped it up this week...

Yeah, I was impressed by him this week. Flowers is continuing to get better too, injury aside.

Cottam is a disappointment. Morgan is just another thalidomide safety. Thigpen seems to have regressed, unfortunately.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Tamba is doing better than most thought he would, but I fear it will be short lived. Teams will start to game plan to have him drop into coverage more and his lack of coverage experience will be exposed.

The offensive coordinator has less to do with what Tamba does than the defensive coordinator.

DJ's left nut
09-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Guess I'll put on my flame suit first ---

Tank Tyler looks better. Not great, mind you, but better. He actually looked pretty good in this last game. I think he has a chance to be a viable NT for us this season if he continues to progress.

Chief Faithful
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Both starting corners are playing well.

Succop? Other than one bad game he looks like our mvp.

Ryan looked good, know he's a vet, but if he can keep making those type of catches consistently he's better than half the starting Te's in the league.

Quinten Lawrence is progressing in the return game if last night is any indication.

Jamaal is growing, may not get it in the end, but he is becoming aware of what he needs to do. I think the fumbles will go away, that is a curable problem.

Jamaal Charles is a real interest to me. It is obvious they want to use him the same way NE uses Faulk, but he has to become more reliable. He seems to be making progress although too slow for my comfort. I don't see another RB on the roster that can fill that very important role.

As for Quinten Lawrence his skills are so far off I'm not sure he is worth keeping.

DaKCMan AP
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
The only game I've been able to see was last night's. But, with that, the articles, TC reports and comments here I've been impressed by:

Dantrell Savage
Jackie Battle
Sean Ryan
Wallace Gilberry
Mike Vrabel
Corey Mays
Tamba Hali
Jon McGraw
Ryan Succop

I wouldn't say I'm impressed about DaJuan Morgan because I thought he had a ton of potential out of college. Nice to see him start to realize some of it.

Also, I've never been one of the abundant haters around here and I never believed he'd lost a step or was 'done', but LJ looks refreshed and ready to go.

Chief Faithful
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM

He was outstanding against the Rams.

Chief Faithful
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
The D looks pretty respectable across the board. I'd say the O is (understatement) a huge disappointment. Albert seems to look pretty solid, and I guess Waters is still fine. But, it was really sobering watching both Croyle and Thigpen shit down their own legs last night. Croyle was pretty damn dismal, with the exception of the really nice pass to Ryan. Other than that, it didn't look like he could hit the broadside of a barn. Thigpen...ah shit what can you say. This guy looks exactly like what he is, an empty headed no talent athletic guy who plays with heart. Save that shit for a Disney movie.

This season is gonna be painful.

The biggest problem I have evaluating what I'm seeing on offense is until the Center, RG and RT position is fixed everyone on offense is going to look bad. Of course, I don't think Thigpen would look good behind any offensive line.

Inspector
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I say lets keep this Corey Mays guy around.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Guess I'll put on my flame suit first ---

Tank Tyler looks better. Not great, mind you, but better. He actually looked pretty good in this last game. I think he has a chance to be a viable NT for us this season if he continues to progress.

He led the team with 9 tackles. Thats saying something for the NT position.

Buehler445
09-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Rams Running Backs are stupid?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Looks like Morgan is going to be the next great Chief to have his name constantly misspelled.

Micjones
09-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Maurice Leggett looks like he's improved over a year ago.
Guy seems very confident out there on the field.

ModSocks
09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Looks like Morgan is going to be the next great Chief to have his name constantly misspelled.

Uhm, who hasn't been able to spell Morgan correctly? DaJuan? That's pretty simple too...

booger
09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Morgan looks like he knows what to do now and that is a big improvement in itself. Made a big jump this past couple of games.

Cottam .........we need a blocking TE. He doesn't look like he has a clue.

Need a FB in the worst way too, imo.

Lumpy68
09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I say Morgan and Dantrell Savage looked respectable last night.

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Uhm, who hasn't been able to spell Morgan correctly? DaJuan? That's pretty simple too...

The guy who started this thread.

Mr. Krab
09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
He's had exactly 1 good game as a chief, he's got a long way to go before he reaches anything close to "great"

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
He's had exactly 1 good game as a chief, he's got a long way to go before he reaches anything close to "great"

I think he's had two great games in a row. He's on his way to the Pro Bowl, the ring of fame, and Canton.

Consistent1
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I think that it is awesome that I get neg repped more than once simply for suggesting that this team could do without LJ. Hell, just ask Mecca....RB's are a dime a dozen. Play the other guys and draft someone in the mid rounds next year. Of course we cannot do that because we need 10 lineman on offense. Maybe only 9 now after that stellar rushing performance we just saw. That thread where people were comparing Larry to LT was awesome. Let's just assume that both of them are getting older, they both may have one huge year left in them. Who is likely to make more of an impact? Larry Johnson will never be on a Chiefs team with a winning record again. Anyone who wants to dispute that.....go right ahead. Don't tell anyone, but the rumor that Athan told me via his cloak and dagger CP account is that Emmitt Smith wants to come back to attempt to pad his stats. Let's just say that Nick made it sound like the Chiefs might be a player in this. WWNAD? He wouldn't tell me anymore after reminding me that I needed to send some cash. I have been picking up aluminum cans all fucking morning guys. I will let you know if possible. GoChiefs, please my brother?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
MAYS FTW!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
And Flowers is going to the fucking Pro Bowl this year; print it!

Micjones
09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I think that it is awesome that I get neg repped more than once simply for suggesting that this team could do without LJ. Hell, just ask Mecca....RB's are a dime a dozen. Play the other guys and draft someone in the mid rounds next year. Of course we cannot do that because we need 10 lineman on offense. Maybe only 9 now after that stellar rushing performance we just saw. That thread where people were comparing Larry to LT was awesome. Let's just assume that both of them are getting older, they both may have one huge year left in them. Who is likely to make more of an impact? Larry Johnson will never be on a Chiefs team with a winning record again. Anyone who wants to dispute that.....go right ahead. Don't tell anyone, but the rumor that Athan told me via his cloak and dagger CP account is that Emmitt Smith wants to come back to attempt to pad his stats. Let's just say that Nick made it sound like the Chiefs might be a player in this. WWNAD? He wouldn't tell me anymore after reminding me that I needed to send some cash. I have been picking up aluminum cans all fucking morning guys. I will let you know if possible. GoChiefs, please my brother?

Serviceable RB's do come a dime a dozen.
Backs with LJ's ability...don't.

BWillie
09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I haven't seen much of the Chiefs preseason games this year, but I have a gut feeling Haleys tough love on Bowe is going to pay off and he will break some of the bad habits that hurt his consistancy last year. I'm sure D Bowe doesn't like being shown up by his coach and hated being in his doghouse throughout training camp but you haven't heard him cry about it to the media. I think Haley has gained a little credibility for helping Larry Fitzgerald become a stud wide reciever so he's more than just a coach who is a hardass for the sake of being a hardass.

Haley said in his presser the other day that he doesn't have a dog house, he has six kids and he didn't know what the reporter was talking about.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Serviceable RB's do come a dime a dozen.
Backs with LJ's ability...don't.

http://topbanana.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/confused.jpg

Can't move pile? Check.

Beat in flat every time? Check.

WTF?!?!? Check.:p

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
http://topbanana.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/confused.jpg

Can't move pile? Check.

Beat in flat every time? Check.

WTF?!?!? Check.:p

41-YARD RUN SHUT THE FUCK UP RETARD

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM

And once again; BEAT IN THE FLAT, RETARD; SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot:

No improvisational skills in the back field? Check!

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
!

What is this shit you keep going on about?

Linebackers get beat in the flat, not running backs.

Sounds like you've invented some new bullshit term solely to rip LJ.

BigChiefFan
09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Hali
Savage
Battle
D. Johnson
Morgan
Bradley
Flowers
McBride
Mays

bevischief
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Chan

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
What is this shit you keep going on about?

Linebackers get beat in the flat, not running backs.

Sounds like you've invented some new bullshit term solely to rip LJ.

Flat, open field, whatever you wanna' call it; he gets beat like a Chinese orphan.

EyePod
09-07-2009, 01:06 PM

My favorite part about Tank is when another team gets a 10 yard run and somehow our NT makes the tackle. He really goes until the end of a play. I guess those plays are the ones that he eats some CORN before the snap...