PDA

View Full Version : Football NE cuts Walters

carlos3652
09-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Didnt see it anywhere... so much they thought he would be better than Gutti :rolleyes:

The Franchise
09-04-2009, 01:26 PM
And.....now I'm just waiting for Feeley and Brown to the Patriots.

doomy3
09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Rumor is also that they are pretty likely to cut Ben Watson too. If they cut him, I would imagine we'll pick him up. He would be a nice upgrade over anything we have at TE.

salame
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I would take Watson
and pioli drafted him in rd 1 i think
plus then they can change family back to watsons

Titty Meat
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Who is the Pats backup QB right now?

doomy3
09-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Who is the Pats backup QB right now?

Rookie Brian Hoyer

carlos3652
09-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Billy Yates (G), Roderick Rogers (S) Ateve Williams (DT), Vinny Ciurciu (LB) cut as well from the patriots today...

RustShack
09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Isn't Billy Yates good?

doomy3
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, any feedback from any Pats fans on any of those guys?

CoMoChief
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Isn't Billy Yates good?

prob better than anyone we have. Shit put me out there.

JD10367
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, any feedback from any Pats fans on any of those guys?

Apparently Belichick was impressed enough with Hoyer last night to cut Walter loose. He may be finagling for Feeley from Philly. (Sorry for the alliteration.) Or he may just go with Hoyer and wait until week one is in the books, and sign a Huard or someone whose contract wouldn't be guaranteed. Frankly, I was expecting them to give Walter more time to learn the offense and settle in. Oh, well.

Yates is our MacIntosh. His nickname in Pats-land is "Turnstile". Nuff said.

Rogers got toasted a-plenty last night but made some nice hard hits. He could be decent bench depth.

Williams looked pretty decent. He's just a numbers victim due to the heavy hitters already on the roster. He's worth a look-see. Same for Ciurciu.

doomy3
09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Apparently Belichick was impressed enough with Hoyer last night to cut Walter loose. He may be finagling for Feeley from Philly. (Sorry for the alliteration.) Or he may just go with Hoyer and wait until week one is in the books, and sign a Huard or someone whose contract wouldn't be guaranteed. Frankly, I was expecting them to give Walter more time to learn the offense and settle in. Oh, well.

Rogers got toasted a-plenty last night but made some nice hard hits. He could be decent bench depth.

Williams looked pretty decent. He's just a numbers victim due to the heavy hitters already on the roster. He's worth a look-see. Same for Ciurciu.

Williams and Ciurciu play positions we could use, that's for sure.

What are you hearing about Ben Watson? Do you think he'll be released?

JD10367
09-04-2009, 03:22 PM

It's an interesting situation. Baker and Thomas are clearly on the roster (Thomas also for his goal-line FB abilities). So both Watson and Alex Smith (who's been a disappointment so far) got playing time last night. And neither did much of note. I think Watson made one catch. They also used him on special teams, which is not usual.

Some think he's going to make the team because he's got too much potential. On the other hand, he's also got oven mitts for hands, and they could get something of value for him in a trade. I doubt they outright cut him, but they might let him go for a 5th-rounder or something. Some have thought he'd be swung to the Eagles for Feeley, but with the nice showing by Hoyer at QB last night I think that possibility has dimmed.

It certainly wouldn't shock me if, by Saturday afternoon, he's wearing either an arrowhead or a horse.

OnTheWarpath15
09-04-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm guessing they had already decided on Walters, since he didn't play last night. No sense in risking injury to a guy you're going to cut, then have to offer an injury settlement to.

Fully expecting AJ Feeley to be a Patriot soon, and if that falls through, Damon Huard.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Ben Watson is a real nice talent the problem is he can't stay on the field cause he's always injured..

I had heard talk of them trading Watson to Philly for Feely.

JD10367
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Someone pointed out that if you wait until the first week is over then the contract isn't guaranteed. So they might keep Huard on the short-call list, but I doubt they sign him and use a roster spot. They seem comfortable with Hoyer, and they also have Edelman on the team (well, we THINK he's making the team).

I can imagine Belichick with two phones in his hands, one with McDaniels and one with Pioli. "Scott! Scott! Josh says he'll give me a sixth for Watson. Josh? Scott just offered a fifth. Scott? Josh just offered a fifth, and a fifth of booze... wait, he just upped it with a reach-around..."

Hammock Parties
09-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Andrew Walters would look great with Branden Alberts getting his blindside and Kendall Gammons longsnapping.

Just Passin' By
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM

Yates is very strong physically, but he is weak in pass protection and nowhere near as good a run blocker as you'd expect.

I don't expect Watson to be released or traded. A lot of Patriots fans are quick to pummel players who don't live up to whatever mythical standards they have for them, whether or not they happen to be good players. The coaching staff doesn't listen to the cry of the miserable, however. Cassel is a perfect example of it, as a matter of fact.

Watson's not the best tight end in the game, but he's pretty good and he's a very difficult matchup for the opposition because of his speed. The tight end that's most likely to become available is Alex Smith.

Demonpenz
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
jamie walters? How do you talk to an angel

JD10367
09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't expect Watson to be released or traded. A lot of Patriots fans are quick to pummel players who don't live up to whatever mythical standards they have for them, whether or not they happen to be good players. The coaching staff doesn't listen to the cry of the miserable, however. Cassel is a perfect example of it, as a matter of fact.

I dunno, they thought highly of Daniel Graham and shipped him to Denver quick enough. And Cassel was always the #2 QB, despite the fans' confusion as to why; Watson, on the other hand, has watched Belcihick bring in Baker and Smith--both of whom were given every attempt to take Watson's job, and Baker apparently did.

Watson's not the best tight end in the game, but he's pretty good and he's a very difficult matchup for the opposition because of his speed. The tight end that's most likely to become available is Alex Smith.

Smith will probably go for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Watson did as well. They may give him one more season to prove himself, they may not. We'll know by tomorrow afternoon. I wouldn't cry a river if they sent him to you guys.