PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jerry Jones: No love for the Vikes

T-post Tom
09-04-2009, 08:48 PM
But I guess we get a backhanded compliment of sorts:

Ominous words on revenue sharing from Jerry Jones
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 9:42 PM ET

There's a line of thinking that the NFL opted not to tell Cowboys owner Jerry Jones that his video board needs to be lifted in order to keep Jones on the same page with the league office regarding the approach to the unfolding struggles with the NFLPA over a new labor deal.

We'd hate to see what Jones would be saying if the league hadn't given him his way.

Speaking prior to a preseason game in Minnesota, where Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has been unable to finagle a new stadium, Jones talked tough about the future of revenue sharing.

"Right now, we are subsidizing this market," Jones said, according to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It's unthinkable to think that you've got the market you got here -- 3 ½ million people -- and have teams like Kansas City and Green Bay subsidizing the market. That will stop.

"That's going to stop. That's on its way out."

Yikes.

The league has done a nice job to date of keeping the labor focus on the fact that the union gets nearly 60 cents of every dollar generated, and not on the simmering acrimony among owners regarding the notion that low-revenue teams can pick the pockets of those who are generating the most money. Jones' comments prove that the truce is as tenuous as the union suspects it is, and in turn the Cowboys owner has given the NFLPA some ammunition for driving a wedge among the owners.

But there's good news. If/when the Vikings can get a new stadium subsidized not by the rest of the league but by the taxpayers at large, we'll get to take the '69 VW bus to the North Pole for Super Bowl week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/04/ominous-words-on-revenue-sharing-from-jerry-jones/

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice find.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Fuck Jerry Jones.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Jerry Jones has the same feeling basically all the other owners that turn huge revenue do.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm glad Jerry mentioned us just so I know we're subsidizing rather than being subsidized. KC is a small market and if the Chiefs ever left I'd abandon the NFL the same way I've abandoned the NBA over the theft of the Sonics.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm glad Jerry mentioned us just so I know we're subsidizing rather than being subsidized. KC is a small market and if the Chiefs ever left I'd abandon the NFL the same way I've abandoned the NBA over the theft of the Sonics.

The Sonic left basically because they were pissed that the city built the baseball and football teams new stadiums but not them right?

DaneMcCloud
Nice find.

It's on the front page of profootballtalk.com.

Jerry Jones can fuck himself.

Mecca
And this is why there's going to be a lockout there's enough owners that think exactly what he does to hold everything up.

Bugeater
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Fuck him and the fucking Cowboys. He can go start his own goddamn football league where he can be the champion every fucking year.

DaneMcCloud
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Fuck him and the fucking Cowboys. He can go start his own goddamn football league where he can be the champion every fucking year.

He'd still manage to lose

WoodDraw
09-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Jerry Jones has the same feeling basically all the other owners that turn huge revenue do.

And who blames them?

I've always felt that there should be rules to bridge the differences in markets. Just because a team happens to be located in a massive media market doesn't mean they should have an unfair advantage over other teams who can't make the same off sponsorship and media deals.

But, successful teams should be rewarded for being successful. I've always found straight parity to be incredibly boring.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 09:18 PM
It's on the front page of profootballtalk.com.

Jerry Jones can fuck himself.

I try to avoid PTF; it's information is on-par with WIPE.

DaneMcCloud
09-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Not anymore, especially since they were bought by NBC Sports.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
And who blames them?

I've always felt that there should be rules to bridge the differences in markets. Just because a team happens to be located in a massive media market doesn't mean they should have an unfair advantage over other teams who can't make the same off sponsorship and media deals.

But, successful teams should be rewarded for being successful. I've always found straight parity to be incredibly boring.

If I was in his position I'd feel the same way, he seems a team like Minnesota beg for a stadium, when he himself spent more on his than it would cost to build one in Minnesota.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I'd like to raise a practical point at this time:

Who the fuck in their right mind wants to go to Irving fucking Texas for a Super Bowl?

Skip Towne
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Jerry Jones is a despicable individual. He is the worst owner in the league. His only competition is Dan Snyder. Fuck him.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM

It really isn't. PFT is fine.

Bugeater
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
And who blames them?

The problem with parity in the NFL is that the league over-expanded and is watered down to the point that it's nearly impossible to build a complete team, so the overall quality of play suffers.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Jerry Jones is just looking out for his own interests. Of course he wants a NFL where there is less revenue sharing and the Cowboys can become the equivalent of the Yankees.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Jerry Jones is just looking out for his own interests. Of course he wants a NFL where there is less revenue sharing and the Cowboys can become the equivalent of the Yankees.

The only relevant divisions would be the 2 easts...

The team with the most revenue turn in our division is the Broncos, it would also really jump Houston and Cleveland up.

Skip Towne
09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Jones got his money by drilling holes in the ground. Around here we call them oil field trash (OFT). A popular bumper sticker says "Please don't tell my parents I work in the oil fields, they think I play the piano in a whorehouse"

MMXcalibur
09-04-2009, 09:36 PM
For fucks sake, Jones is a douche. Fuck him, his new stadium, his mother, the Dallas Cowboys, his mother's mother and him (again).

Buehler445
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
He'd still manage to lose

ROFL

My wife probably thinks I'm crazy. That made me laugh my ass off.

If I was in his position I'd feel the same way, he seems a team like Minnesota beg for a stadium, when he himself spent more on his than it would cost to build one in Minnesota.

He didn't HAVE to spend that much. He spent that much on douchey TVs and pimp suites. He could have put together a much more manageable stadium and not be fucking broke.

Comparing the "new" arrowhead to Cowboys stadium is just rediculous.

Just because he made a bad fiscal decision (times a kajillion), doesn't mean he should do his best to shut down the fucking league.

I fully understand the profit maximization strategies these guys are trying to use. I really do. And to an extent it isn't fair that they bring in the most revenue and don't get the equal percentage of it. I get it, throw out all the communist talk you want, but without equality, the league is fucked. Seriously fucked. And so much of their revenue is NOT from ticket sales, it would hit their ass in the pocketbook too. Equality (unfairness) in the league drives competitiveness which drives profitability. If half the teams are suddenly the Royals, their revenue will be assfucked with a sideways screwdriver.

I can't believe these horsefuckers are even considering a lock out. It is absolutely, positively the dumbest thing they could do.

LaChapelle
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Jones should sell the Cowboys and buy the Raiders.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 09:39 PM
It's way to early to say Jerry Jones made a bad decision with his new stadium. All of those suites is where the revenue is at. Jones will probably end up owning the the most profitable franchise in the NFL because of that stadium.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Several teams now don't play on the same scale.

Pittsburgh does not spend huge money in FA, you can see right now which teams make more money.

A lockout is coming because small market owners don't like the current revenue sharing structure and they want it to be more fair and there's enough that won't agree to hold it up.

Buehler445
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
It's way to early to say Jerry Jones made a bad decision with his new stadium. All of those suites is where the revenue is at. Jones will probably end up owning the the most profitable franchise in the NFL because of that stadium.

Not if he goes bankrupt first. There have been lots of interviews with him in the offseason in which one could draw the conclusion that he's broke as fuck.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Several teams now don't play on the same scale.

Pittsburgh does not spend huge money in FA, you can see right now which teams make more money.

A lockout is coming because small market owners don't like the current revenue sharing structure and they want it to be more fair and there's enough that won't agree to hold it up.

And changing revenue scharing would only make it worse. The salary cap is already so high as to be irrelevant for most franchises. I really don't want to see the NFL become like the NBA where a teams ability to contend is based on a team's market size and the willingness of their owner to spend.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 09:45 PM
He's not going bankrupt that stadium will pay for itself.

Buehler445
And changing revenue scharing would only make it worse. The salary cap is already so high as to be irrelevant for most franchises. I really don't want to see the NFL become like the NBA where a teams ability to contend is based on a team's market size and the willingness of their owner to spend.

Or worse, the MLB.

Miles
Not anymore, especially since they were bought by NBC Sports.

I think it has been pretty solid for at least the past few years even before NBC bought them. Worth a bookmark for a daily read but it does get a bit rough at times when there is really no news in the league.

Buehler445
09-04-2009, 09:46 PM
He's not going bankrupt that stadium will pay for itself.

Probably. But there have been several comments that could suggest the fucker is broke. Which would make me chuckle. Mightily.

Miles
09-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd like to raise a practical point at this time:

Who the fuck in their right mind wants to go to Irving fucking Texas for a Super Bowl?

It cant be in NOLA and Arizona ever year. The DFW metroplex is a solid place to host a Super Bowl.

jidar
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM

This post makes no sense. They're trying to change revenue sharing so that profits from boxes and what not are included in the sharing. In effect, it would create more revenue sharing than we have now.

The entire point of having more even revenue sharing is so that small market teams with less rich owners can compete on a level playing field.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
This post makes no sense. They're trying to change revenue sharing so that profits from boxes and what not are included in the sharing. In effect, it would create more revenue sharing than we have now.

The entire point of having more even revenue sharing is so that small market teams with less rich owners can compete on a level playing field.

I don't think that is Jerry Jones' aim.

rambleonthruthefog
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
i'm just here to hate on the cowboys. F*ck jerry jones! f*ck the dallas cowboys!

jidar
09-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't think that is Jerry Jones' aim.

No it isn't, it's what he's complaining about.

I always wondered how the Chiefs feel about it though. They tend to do pretty well in their market, but there is always the chance that they wouldn't and then they might benefit from revenue sharing.

dirk digler
09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Here is good info on what the problems are.

The NFL and its Player’s Association have had pretty good labor relations since the 1987 NFL players’ strike. The last NFL collective bargaining agreement, which was struck in 2006, was the cherry on top of over twenty years of NFL football without a labor stoppage.

But with the 2006 CBA expiring after after the 2010 season, the NFL is facing the real possibility of a lockout. Such a lockout would occur at the start of the 2011 free agency period.

NFL Revenue

The NFL had revenue of approximately $6.3 billion in 2007.

The 2006 CBA increased the salary cap from $85.5 million per team in 2005 to approximately $123 million per team in 2009. The NFL salary cap requires teams to spend at least $86.4 million in salaries.

The 2006 CBA has decreased NFL profits (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3288568) from about 10 percent each year to only 4 percent. The NFL’s 2006 CBA increased the players take from 55.5 percent of NFL revenues to 60 percent. That’s down from a record high of 69% in 1993 (the last uncapped year).

Most of the NFL’s revenue comes from its national TV contracts. One of the main reasons why NFL owners want a new/different CBA is that small market teams feel that they are at a significant disadvantage revenue-wise to the large market teams.

Problems for Small Market Teams

The difference between high revenue and low revenue teams is the result of local radio contracts, local sponsorship dollars and signage in stadiums.

Revenue differences between large and small markets are significant enough that Louisiana had to give a $186.5 million bailout to the New Orleans Saints in 2001 in order to keep the team in New Orleans through 2010.

In Indianapolis, taxpayers were responsible for funding 87 percent of the stadium. That makes Lucas Oil Stadium the most heavily taxpayer-subsidized stadium in the country.
Colts owner Jim Irsay was able to cover his 13 percent portion of the cost when he sold the naming rights to the Lucas Oil company for $120 million. Taxpayers also picked up the tab for the $48 million cost of breaking the lease on the RCA Dome.
Under the terms of the deal, the city is paying $70 million still owed on the RCA Dome, nearly the same amount originally owed when it was built.
And yet, even after all that, the new stadium may already be in need of a bailout (http://www.heartland.org/publications/budget%20tax/article/24305/New_Indianapolis_Stadium_May_Already_Need_Bailout.html).

Even the big market teams may have reached their revenue ceilings in the current market. The Giants, moving into a new stadium in 2010, have been unable to sell nearly 4,000 season tickets (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/05/30/2009-05-30_good_news_best_giant_tix_still_available.html#ixzz0HBeK5yE0&B) (out of 9,300) in their club sections. The PSL’s are just too high. About half of the 200-plus suites have been sold.

These tickets remain unsold even though the Giants have a 140,000 person season ticket waiting list.

NFL Owners Have Already Opted Out of the CBA

The 2006 CBA was designed to be in place through the 2012 season but gave both the NFL and the NFLPA an option to shorten the deal. Last May, the owners unanimously voted to opt out of the deal after the 2010 season.

The 2010 NFL season will now be played with no salary cap. At first glance, this seems to be a good deal for the players. But there are enough restrictions in the CBA however that its possible that many owners may decide to totally rein in spending in 2010. While there is no salary cap in 2010, there is also no spending floor. There are also significant restrictions on free agency that season which make it unlikely that any 2009 playoff team will be able to significantly improve themselves.

In the 2010 uncapped season it will be difficult for a team like the Redskins to buy a Super Bowl.

The Owners Have Lockout Insurance

The NFL’s new television rights agreement with DirecTV (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/24/meetings/index.html) will pay them $1 billion per year from 2011 through 2014.

Even if games are not played in 2011, the NFL’s deal with DirecTV calls for the league to be paid the billion-dollar rights fee. That’s approximately $31 million per team to tide them over through a lockout. The NFL has debt limits of $120 million per team.

There is no reason to believe that the NFL players will be any more successful at holding out than their NBA bretheren. NFL careers are quite short. The league is filled with players in their first through fifth years. The fifth round draft choice doesn’t see a big payday until probably his fourth or fifth season. Until then, he’s not exactly struggling, but he also doesn’t have a $30 million guaranteed contract.

If the NFL locks out the players, the NFL will win.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM
It cant be in NOLA and Arizona ever year. The DFW metroplex is a solid place to host a Super Bowl.

Glendale sucks and so does Dallas. I've been to Dallas 5 times, and if it weren't for the fact I was there on business, I would have never gone back after the 1st time.

It's boring, it sucks, and if I'm spending the grip to go to a Super Bowl, I'd MUCH rather go someplace fun and interesting as well.

Miami and NOLA are the ONLY two places I'd pay SB money to go to. Period.

CaliforniaChief
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM

If the Chiefs were ever in a Super Bowl again, I'd be thrilled if the game was in Anchorage, Alaska...Scottsbluff, Nebraska, or Gary, Indiana. Bring it on.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
The Sonic left basically because they were pissed that the city built the baseball and football teams new stadiums but not them right?

Pretty much. But the problem is the previous owner negotiated a ridiculously long deal that was front end heavy and that played into the cities decision to build Safeco and Qwest. They didn't think they had to worry about the Key for some time. They also offered to renovate it to an acceptable level. David Stern was ready to reward Oklahoma City and unfortunately the timing was when we were at the bottom of the totem pole.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I can't believe Flopnuts is not taking part in the Taylor Mays discussion in the other thread..

Mr. Flopnuts
09-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I can't believe Flopnuts is not taking part in the Taylor Mays discussion in the other thread..

Which thread? I've gotta take off here pretty soon, but you know I love me some Taylor Mays. That kid is a fucking star, and has been a man child pretty much from birth.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Which thread? I've gotta take off here pretty soon, but you know I love me some Taylor Mays. That kid is a fucking star, and has been a man child pretty much from birth.

The trying to trade Pollard thread just look at the last page.

BWillie
09-04-2009, 10:58 PM
F*ck you Jerry Jones. The Kansas City Chiefs have been in the top 7 in the NFL EVERY YEAR for the last 10 years in attendance. I know the Chiefs aren't tops in revenue, but still, that is damn good. Too bad the rest of the country doesn't want to watch us on TV. Go to hell you arrogant prick.

jAZ
09-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I wonder how much money Jerry Jones would make playing in a 6 team league.

Who's making money off of whom?

BWillie
09-04-2009, 11:05 PM
I wonder how much money Jerry Jones would make playing in a 6 team league.

Who's making money off of whom?

Bingo.

Boon
09-04-2009, 11:20 PM
F*ck Jerry Jones and his $90 pizzas.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2009, 11:38 PM
F*ck Jerry Jones and his $90 pizzas.

If they're anything like Dallas BBQ, I bet they taste like shit.

jason54858
09-05-2009, 01:11 AM

Dude your an idiot how in the hell can some one from Kansa City hate on any city in this country, sit down and shut up. Second, Jones is not going broke I dont know were you got you info form, but it's not true. I live in Arlington down the street from the stadium and no one here heard anything about Jerry being borke. Where did that come from? LOL

You guys need to chill out and stop hating on the Cowboys just because they ran out your little sorry excuse for a franchise out of Dallas years ago, and for those who are going to respond negative on my post go f*** yourself. :cuss:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Dude your an idiot how in the hell can some one from Kansa City hate on any city in this country, sit down and shut up. Second, Jones is not going broke I dont know were you got you info form, but it's not true. I live in Arlington down the street from the stadium and no one here heard anything about Jerry being borke. Where did that come from? LOL

You guys need to chill out and stop hating on the Cowboys just because they ran out your little sorry excuse for a franchise out of Dallas years ago, and for those who are going to respond negative on my post go f*** yourself. :cuss:

Fuck off n00b.

BWillie
09-05-2009, 01:13 AM

Your and ediot. He was talking about BBQ. Kansas City is known for it's BBQ.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Your and ediot. He was talking about BBQ. Kansas City is known for it's BBQ.

Exactly. Just like texass is known for electing idiots to the office of governor.

salame
09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
**** him and the ****ing Cowboys. He can go start his own goddamn football league where he can be the champion every ****ing year.

you and I are in agreement on this one I hate the cowboys

Titty Meat
09-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Exactly. Just like texass is known for electing idiots to the office of governor.

lol the noob is a moron. Atleast the Chiefs didn't run off the coach that won 3 super bowls.

Mile High Mania
09-05-2009, 06:06 AM

Depends on where you went... there is some great BBQ here.

Bugeater
09-05-2009, 08:32 AM
lol the noob is a moron. Atleast the Chiefs didn't run off the coach that won 3 super bowls.
Jimmy Johnson only won 2, Switzer won the 3rd one.

Braincase
09-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Jerry Jones doesn't care about anything other than himself. If he could officially change the name of the team to
"Jerry Jones' Dallas Cowboys" he would. He makes T.O. look modest. I hope they discover the need for a quadruple bypass after the fact.

Warrior5
09-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Piss on Jerry Jones and Dallas.

He and greasy Al Davis can start their own league...

Piss on Jones and Davis.

Thig Lyfe
09-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Dallas is easily the out-of-division team I hate the most. In fact, I'd say they even rate above the Chargers.

donkhater
09-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Owners like Jones and Snyder have to realize that the business they are owners in is the NFL, NOT there respective teams. It's the success of the league that is to their benefit.

The league is actually a company with 32 franchises. It is in the company's best interest to see all the franchises flourish.

The league is set up, though, for a team like the Cowboys to make WAY more money than a team like the Vikings. Jones is just peeved that he doesn't have unfettered earning potential.

Pablo
09-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Dallas is easily the out-of-division team I hate the most. In fact, I'd say they even rate above the Chargers.Yeah, it goes something like Broncos, Raiders, Cowboys, Chargers for me.

Halfcan
09-05-2009, 01:57 PM

yep it is the Jackson County tax payers that have been taking it in the ass to fund the cheaps