PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Titans release returner Mark Jones

T-post Tom
09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Titans release returner Jones, CB Fa-ggins
By Jim Wyatt • THE TENNESSEAN • September 4, 2009

The Titans on Friday released returner Mark Jones, according to the player's agent. The team also parted ways with several other players.

The move leaves the team without an experienced return man for the regular season opener at Pittsburgh on Thursday night. Several other players have also been informed of their release on Friday as well, including receiver Paul Williams, a third round draft pick by the team in 2007, veteran fullback Casey Cramer and a pair of veteran linebackers.

The Titans also released cornerback DeMarcus Fa-ggins, signed as an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Jones was signed as an unrestricted free agent this offseason after playing last season at Carolina. After being injured earlier in training camp, Jones performed well in Thursday's preseason win over the Packers, and said after the game he hoped he'd secured a roster spot. Jones averaged 22 yards on four kickoff returns, and 13.5 yards on two punt returns.

But agent Brian Levy confirmed on Friday Jones had in fact been released.

"He was released this morning,'' agent Brian Levy said. "A bit surprising.''

All NFL teams must be down to 53 players by 5 p.m. Saturday. So far the team has released at least 19 players on Friday Three more players will need to be released to get to 53.

Jones signed a two-year deal with the team this offseason that included a $200,000 signing bonus.

Rookie Running back Javon Ringer could return kicks against the Steelers, but it remains to be seen who will return punts.

Players who've also been informed of their release: linebackers Rocky Boiman and Josh Stamer, safeties Tuff Harris and Nick Schommer, defensive tackle Mitch King, offensive linemen Ryan Durand, Jason Murphy, Cory Lekkerkerker, and Fernando Velasco, tight end Matthew Mulligan, defensive tackle LaJuan Ramsey, receiver Phillip Morris, cornerback Tanard Davis, running back Rodney Ferguson and punter A.J. Trapasso. The Titans indicated they were interesting in bringing Velasco and Morris back to their practice squad if they clear waivers.

Williams, who played in 5 games over the past two seasons, still has practice squad eligibility.

The Titans signed Fa-ggins to a two-year contract as well this offseason, which included a $200,000 signing bonus. Schommer was a 7th round draft pick by the Titans.

salame
09-05-2009, 01:28 AM
I thought they had a return guy named carr

big nasty kcnut
09-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Let bring him in for a look.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
09-05-2009, 04:08 AM
I thought that name was a joke, the first time it appeared in the article. But it is there at least three times. "Pillowbitergins." LMAO

Mecca
09-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Chris Carr is on the Ravens now.

It's saying Pillowbitergins because the CB's name is actually DeMarcus Fa-gg-ins.

Have to type it like that for it to actually read.

Spicy McHaggis
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
defensive tackle Mitch King,

I'd bring King in for a look as a 3-4 end.

morphius
09-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I thought that name was a joke, the first time it appeared in the article. But it is there at least three times. "Pillowbitergins." LMAO
ROFL I guess if we sign him I'll have to fix that.

T-post Tom
09-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Chris Carr is on the Ravens now.

It's saying Pillowbitergins because the CB's name is actually DeMarcus Fa-gg-ins.

Have to type it like that for it to actually read.

ROFL fixed but maybe better unfixed thank you