PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz's take on the cuts....

Deberg_1990
09-06-2009, 08:05 AM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/one-big-surprise-in-roster-moves.html#more-10330

There really wasn’t much in 21 of the 22 roster moves the Chiefs made the last two days that would qualify as a surprise.

The exception was the release on Saturday of safety Bernard Pollard.

A veteran of 48 games in three seasons with the team and 31 starts over the past two seasons, Pollard was one of 14 moves made on Saturday to reach the NFL deadline for a roster of 53 players. Just 24 years old and a former second-round draft choice, Pollard will very quickly find work somewhere in the NFL.

But why wasn’t he wanted with the Chiefs? It’s hard to give you the straight skinny on that given that Pioli/Haley were unavailable to speak in the last two days. More than likely they wouldn’t have much to say about Pollard even should there be microphones around.

So all we can do is speculate. First, there was the play of three other safeties in the St. Louis game, while Pollard was home in Kansas City. Jon McGraw, Mike Brown and DaJuan Morgan were the best defenders on the field for the Chiefs. McGraw came back from a bad game against Seattle last weekend, while Brown got his first extensive playing time. Morgan was all over the field.

We do not know why Pollard was not practicing last week and why he wasn’t available for the game. Early in training camp he did tweak an ankle, but he did not miss a practice.
Second, there was the disagreement on the practice field back on August 26 between Pollard and defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. Pollard was yanked from the first-team defense during a drill and he was very vocal in his unhappiness to Pendergast and eventually head coach Todd Haley.

Afterwards, Pollard wouldn’t talk about what set him off saying only: “Man, there’s just so much crap going down around here.” Pollard did say he had a conversation with Haley off the practice field and felt that everything was fine. “He didn’t let it fester, he came to me and we talked about it,” Pollard said. “I like that.”

Third, it may come down to talent, or lack of same in the eyes of the Chiefs coaches. Pollard is a hitter and always has been during his football career. However, he was not a good tackler. Pollard was prone to going for the big bang with his shoulder and not wrapping up to make sure the ball carrier was down. Given the focus of Haley and his staff on fundamentals, it’s not a surprise that habit may have hurt Pollard.

Whatever the reason, Pollard is the second starter from the ‘08 team that was released over the weekend, joining RT Damion McIntosh. At this point the only starters from last year’s team that are gone are Pollard, McIntosh, RG Adrian Jones, DE Alfonso Boone and MLB Pat Thomas.

Here’s a look at the other moves from Saturday:

ZACH THOMAS – Everyone involved was sad that Thomas didn’t get anything done during training camp and the pre-season. He was such an influence during the off-season and OTAs. But the last time he was on the field was August 6th; since then it’s been rehab for the quad or hamstring injury in his left leg.

ASHLEY LELIE – Although he did catch five passes for 95 yards in the pre-season, that all came in the second half against second and third team defenses. He might have had a chance if he’d been around all during the off-season, but Lelie didn’t show enough in his time with the Chiefs to warrant a roster spot.

RODNEY WRIGHT – For awhile during training camp, Wright was the most consistent and productive receiver on the roster. But he could not keep up that pace, and he was unable to provide anything in the way of returns, averaging 5.7 yards on three punt returns and 9.5 yards on a pair of kick returns. He also caught seven passes for 113 yards.

DEREK LOKEY – Too small to be a regular nose tackle, Lokey survived to the final cut because of his effort. At 6-1, 287 pounds he does not have the bulk to be a 3-4 nose, but he has the heart.

JACKIE BATES – College free agent out of Hampton, Bates never elevated himself out of the bottom of the roster at the highly competitive cornerback spot.

TOM CRABTREE – At no time during camp and the pre-season was Crabtree able to elevate himself out of the fourth TE spot. With former college teammate Jake O’Connell injured recently, there was a chance he could stick. But this move is an indication O’Connell must be ready to return to work.

DION GALES – Back in the spring, I would have bet money that Gales would never have made it to River Falls, let alone the final cut. He showed up as a college free agent very out of shape and he struggled through a pair of mini-camps. Gales survived by show up for training camp in shape.

BOBBY GREENWOOD – There’s a good package with this college free agent out of Alabama, but he didn’t advance fast enough to be able to stay on the roster. It would not be a surprise to see him join the practice squad, because he’s got some skills.

DARRYL HARRIS – I would expect this college free agent out of Mississippi to be on the practice squad. Harris was impressive early in camp, but he could not maintain or improve that level of performance. But he’s got good feet and more exposure to the weight room and the NFL may be enough to get him back on an active roster.

TAURUS JOHNSON – He never really showed consistent focus and performance to be an NFL receiver.

RICKY PRICE – I wouldn’t be surprised to see him brought back to the practice squad as well. He got some opportunities to see snaps at safety because of various injuries at the position. The college free agent out of Oklahoma State showed good range and athletic ability.

JAVARRIS WILLIAMS – The backfield is pretty crowded with talented players, and his chance to make the squad was going to come from beating out a Jackie Battle or Dantrell Savage. That didn’t even come close to happening, plus he didn’t provide any help in the kicking game.

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I wonder if there will be a police report come out about Pollard. If it was more than just bad play that pushed him off the edge of the roster.

SAUTO
09-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I wonder if there will be a police report come out about Pollard. If it was more than just bad play that pushed him off the edge of the roster.

HUH? i would almost bet the farm it was JUST bad play

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
That formula I posted is one I've come to see many, many a time. Nothing personal about Pollard.

Deberg_1990
09-06-2009, 08:28 AM
HUH? i would almost bet the farm it was JUST bad play

Exactly. What i dont get is why people are hurt over him getting cut??

Hasnt nearly everyone been complaining about his mistakes for the past 3 years??

The Chiefs saw no upside to him. Hes a finished player and he is what he is.

SAUTO
09-06-2009, 08:29 AM
That formula I posted is one I've come to see many, many a time.

what formula? here ive got a formula for you

no wrap-up+taking the wrong angle+slow x missed tackles and middle of the road safety= player looking for work

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Glad Pollard is gone. No one willing to trade even a 7th rounder for a 3 year, 24 year old starter. Is the reason for the question.

SAUTO
09-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Glad Pollard is gone. No one willing to trade even a 7th rounder for a 3 year, 24 year old starter. Is the reason for the question.

i think my formula spells it out for you. its one ive seen happen many a time:D

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
It spells it out for you, not me.

Scorp
09-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I'll bet Pollard cried like a bitch in Haley's office. "but....but.....but.....I am the Bonecrusher!" ROFL

SAUTO
09-06-2009, 08:37 AM
It spells it out for you, not me.

huh, so you think a player that has NEVER shown the ability ir willingness to WRAP UP, should be a safety(who by definition of the word would be your last line of defense)in the nfl?

milkman
09-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I'll bet Pollard cried like a bitch in Haley's office. "but....but.....but.....I am the Bonecrusher!" ROFL

Haley's response:

"And I'm the soul crusher, now get off my football team, bitch."

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not going to argue with you for the sake of arguing. Find someone else for that foreplay. THE DEAL IS DONE!!11

Scorp
09-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Haley's response:

HAHA that is outstanding! :clap::D

SAUTO
09-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not going to argue with you for the sake of arguing. Find someone else for that foreplay. THE DEAL IS DONE!!11

what are you arguing about? why a team wouldnt trade for him? should be pretty obvious

BigChiefFan
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
It's got to be a rough weekend for some of these guys. There's no way that it's ever easy to see guys bust their asses, only to be cut. I hope some of our guys get a chance with another team.

salame
09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
it sucks for williams
because battle succks

KCDC
09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I think some of the sadness (at least on my part) is due to the fact that Pollard played with enthusiasm and was a hard hitter. There was reason to hope that he could be taught to wrap up on a tackle by a good coach. He was still young enough to learn. Flushing him seems such a waste. Yeah, he made some bad plays, but the kid showed flashes of real skill -- just not consistent enough.

ThaVirus
09-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I think some of the sadness (at least on my part) is due to the fact that Pollard played with enthusiasm and was a hard hitter. There was reason to hope that he could be taught to wrap up on a tackle by a good coach. He was still young enough to learn. Flushing him seems such a waste. Yeah, he made some bad plays, but the kid showed flashes of real skill -- just not consistent enough.

I agree. I'm not too happy to see him go, but I don't see him everyday in practice either

Skip Towne
09-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I would imagine they got tired of telling him to wrap up over and over and over again.

Tribesman
09-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Agreed. But then I never could figure out why teams thought they could get other teams to give up draft picks for unwanted players right before final roster cuts. Isn't the timing obvious enough that the player will be released anyway?

Then again I guess surrending a low round draft pick could be a team's insurance that the player in question isn't picked up on waivers by another team.

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 12:36 PM
It's not like they would have let go of a valuable player, while waiting for an offer. They'll make cuts for others being cut. But maybe the message was more valuable.

Titty Meat
09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Haley's response:

That is sign worthy ROFL

Coogs
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Has Pollard been snatched up yet?

ChiefaRoo
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
It's got to be a rough weekend for some of these guys. There's no way that it's ever easy to see guys bust their asses, only to be cut. I hope some of our guys get a chance with another team.

Why do some of you people have so much empathy for guys who couldn't be traded and couldn't win more than two games last year. It's not like KC just cut Albert Lewis or EVEN fu**ing Harvey Williams!

Dylan
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
ASHLEY LELIE – Although he did catch five passes for 95 yards in the pre-season, that all came in the second half against second and third team defenses. He might have had a chance if he’d been around all during the off-season, but Lelie didn’t show enough in his time with the Chiefs to warrant a roster spot.

I don't mean to get into your business -- But a catch is still a catch -- it should have saved his job j/m/o

Would someone shoot Gretz an email and point out that Lelie did not drop the ball --

Oh wait, skimming --- I thought Lelie was a rookie??? let me hush --

Valiant
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Agreed. But then I never could figure out why teams thought they could get other teams to give up draft picks for unwanted players right before final roster cuts. Isn't the timing obvious enough that the player will be released anyway?

Then again I guess surrending a low round draft pick could be a team's insurance that the player in question isn't picked up on waivers by another team.

So they do not have to compete with other teams on the guys services..