PDA

View Full Version : Football Expect Oakland to do what it can to keep Seymour

T-post Tom
09-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Expect Oakland to do what it can to keep Seymour

September 6, 2009 5:35 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

One of the major risks for Oakland trading a 2011 first-round pick to New England for defensive lineman Richard Seymour on Sunday is the fact that Seymour is a free agent after this season.

It would be embarrassing and it would set the franchise back if Seymour were to leave after 16 games in Oakland at the steep price of a first-round pick.

But the more I think about it, I fully expect the Raiders to try to convince Seymour to stay by offering him a rich contract. I wouldn’t be surprised if contract extension talks with Seymour have already commenced.

Let’s face it: The Raiders don’t mind giving up big dollars.

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler were both given record contracts this year to stay out of free agency. Last year, as part of a trade with Atlanta, Oakland gave a ridiculous $72 million deal to cornerback DeAngelo Hall. He lasted eight games in Oakland.

Seymour is a better player than Hall, but he is 29 and he has a history of injuries. He doesn’t have a whole lot of quality time left in his career. So, if Oakland gives him a fat deal to save face on this trade, it could cripple the team down the road.

Yes, there are risks in this deal and Seymour’s future contract status is at the top of the list. But if the Raiders' history is any indication, expect them to do what it takes to keep Seymour in Oakland.

Dante84
09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Their (his) incompetence knows no boundary.

kstater
09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
No shit? They'll try to sign the guy they traded a 1st rounder for?

Dante84
09-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I think the fact that he probably has no intention of staying is a better story to put as the title.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-06-2009, 07:23 PM
ill laugh, if he goes back to the Pats next year

Miles
09-06-2009, 07:24 PM
With Asomugha locked up and providing they have the cap space, couldn't they just franchise tag Seymour if he has another good season?

Dante84
09-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Hell, its a great deal for him. He gets to choose whether he wants to be paid 100 million, or go to any team in the league that he wants to.

All he has to do is play one year in Oakland.

Dante84
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
With Asomugha locked up and providing they have the cap space, couldn't they just franchise tag Seymour if he has another good season?

Interesting point... i wonder if thats a possibility?

wild1
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
After enduring a year with the Raiders, who says he'll have any desire to come back at all?

If he's any kind of professional he will probably want to go someplace where he can have at least an outside shot at winning a title.

Mr. Krab
09-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Do you think Seymour will want to go from a winning dynasty to a losing dynasty? They will have to fork out some crazy money to even get him to consider it.

Dante84
09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
What a horrible, horrible trade for Oakland. Honestly.

It saves the Pats from having to negotiate a contract extension all year; if they couldn't agree on terms, they would have no leverage in trade talks; and now they earned what is sure to be a top five pick, which is (probably) worth more than Seymour, and definitely more than they would have gotten via trade.

DBOSHO
09-06-2009, 07:49 PM
ill laugh, if he goes back to the Pats next year

that would be greater than the whole broncos offseason mishaps put together

keg in kc
09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
It would be even funnier if he ended up here.

Dante84
09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
It would be even funnier if he ended up here.

Tihs

T-post Tom
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
What a horrible, horrible trade for Oakland. Honestly.

It saves the Pats from having to negotiate a contract extension all year; if they couldn't agree on terms, they would have no leverage in trade talks; and now they earned what is sure to be a top five pick, which is (probably) worth more than Seymour, and definitely more than they would have gotten via trade.

this.

Amnorix
09-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Interesting point... i wonder if thats a possibility?

Yes it is. No reason why they couldn't tag him .

Dante84
09-06-2009, 09:13 PM
hmmm.... I wonder if the uncapped 2010 will play a factor in any of this?

Mecca
09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
He'll hang around there, he has his rings, he'll be looking to get paid.