PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Send Message With Cuts

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/896102.html

It’s rare to see any big names cut when the NFL pares down its rosters to 53 men every year. So when the Chiefs cut two starters from the previous year over the weekend – Damion McIntosh and Bernard Pollard – it had to send a message to the rest of KC's roster.

No one is safe. Perform. Or else.

General manager Scott Pioli (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3933332) and head coach Todd Haley evidently didn’t care that McIntosh and Pollard had both started 31 of the last 32 games for the Chiefs. Nor did they care that both could have provided adequate depth in Kansas City this year.

Neither player is devoid of value. As a veteran who has played both tackle spots, McIntosh has the capability to come off the bench and, at the very least, help an offense avoid complete disasters in pass protection. Pollard’s affinity for blocking punts and the ability to land the occasional big hit will surely land him a spot in some other NFL city.

But as poorly as McIntosh and Pollard played this preseason, cutting both made sense. Not only did it rid the roster of a pair of liabilities, but it definitely sent that message to the 53 Chiefs who made it – no one is safe.

The final straw with McIntosh may have come last Thursday against the Rams. McIntosh handled St. Louis’ star defensive end, Chris Long (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4269452), quite well. But it was a play at the start of the second quarter that probably raised some eyebrows in the film room when the game was reviewed.

Long was playing right defensive end and his backup, Victor Adeyanju (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4269432), was lined up at defensive tackle. That meant a little-known, third-string defensive end was matched against McIntosh, who was promptly beaten horribly and allowed a crushing sack on Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307425).

The end in question is CJ Ah You. Likely, you had no idea who he was before he toasted McIntosh for a sack last Thursday. It’s possible even Pioli and Haley didn’t know who he was. All that really mattered, however, is that McIntosh allowed some no-name who is still buried on a depth chart to nail a Chiefs quarterback. That doesn’t fly in Kansas City any more, no matter who you are or what you’ve done in the past, and so McIntosh is gone.

Who will replace him? Against the Rams, it was Ike Ndukwe with the second-team offense at right tackle. Ndukwe had some struggles of his own, giving up a few pressures, but it’s pretty clear the Chiefs will take a younger, inexperienced player with talent who may struggle at times over an older player who may struggle at times, like McIntosh. This is also true in the case of Ryan O’Callaghan, another young, inexperienced tackle whom the Chiefs picked up Sunday afternoon.

As for Pollard, we don’t need to rehash the terrible game he played against the Seahawks two weeks ago. Clearly, the Chiefs were watching as he missed tackle after tackle. Evidently, that doesn’t fly in Kansas City any more, no matter who you are or what you’ve done in the past, and so Pollard is gone.

The most interesting part of Pollard’s story, however, is that he didn’t receive an opportunity to redeem himself after the Seattle game. He was deactivated against the Rams as veterans John McGraw and Mike Brown (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4414209) started.

That in itself may send another message – take advantage of your opportunities, because you may not receive that many. McGraw played well against the Rams and so did young safety DaJuan Morgan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307540). They didn’t squander their opportunity, and made the 53-man roster.

Who will replace Pollard? It may be Brown, McGraw or Morgan, no one knows at the moment. But whoever it is, we do know they’ll have to keep performing as they did during the preseason. The message has been sent.

LaChapelle
09-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Hank Williams Jr is a Country singer

ChiefaRoo
09-06-2009, 07:37 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/896102.html

It’s rare to see any big names cut when the NFL pares down its rosters to 53 men every year. So when the Chiefs cut two starters from the previous year over the weekend – Damion McIntosh and Bernard Pollard – it had to send a message to the rest of KC's roster.

No one is safe. Perform. Or else.

General manager Scott Pioli (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3933332) and head coach Todd Haley evidently didn’t care that McIntosh and Pollard had both started 31 of the last 32 games for the Chiefs. Nor did they care that both could have provided adequate depth in Kansas City this year.

Neither player is devoid of value. As a veteran who has played both tackle spots, McIntosh has the capability to come off the bench and, at the very least, help an offense avoid complete disasters in pass protection. Pollard’s affinity for blocking punts and the ability to land the occasional big hit will surely land him a spot in some other NFL city.

But as poorly as McIntosh and Pollard played this preseason, cutting both made sense. Not only did it rid the roster of a pair of liabilities, but it definitely sent that message to the 53 Chiefs who made it – no one is safe.

The final straw with McIntosh may have come last Thursday against the Rams. McIntosh handled St. Louis’ star defensive end, Chris Long (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4269452), quite well. But it was a play at the start of the second quarter that probably raised some eyebrows in the film room when the game was reviewed.

Long was playing right defensive end and his backup, Victor Adeyanju (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4269432), was lined up at defensive tackle. That meant a little-known, third-string defensive end was matched against McIntosh, who was promptly beaten horribly and allowed a crushing sack on Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307425).

The end in question is CJ Ah You. Likely, you had no idea who he was before he toasted McIntosh for a sack last Thursday. It’s possible even Pioli and Haley didn’t know he was. All that really mattered, however, is that McIntosh allowed some no-name who is still buried on a depth chart to nail a Chiefs quarterback. That doesn’t fly in Kansas City any more, no matter who you are or what you’ve done in the past, and so McIntosh is gone.

Who will replace him? Against the Rams, it was Ike Ndukwe with the second-team offense at right tackle. Ndukwe had some struggles of his own, giving up a few pressures, but it’s pretty clear the Chiefs will take a younger, inexperienced player with talent who may struggle at times over an older player who may struggle at times, like McIntosh. This is also true in the case of Ryan O’Callaghan, another young, inexperienced tackle whom the Chiefs picked up Sunday afternoon.

As for Pollard, we don’t need to rehash the terrible game he played against the Seahawks two weeks ago. Clearly, the Chiefs were watching as he missed tackle after tackle. Evidently, that doesn’t fly in Kansas City any more, no matter who you are or what you’ve done in the past, and so Pollard is gone.

The most interesting part of Pollard’s story, however, is that he didn’t receive an opportunity to redeem himself after the Seattle game. He was deactivated against the Rams as veterans John McGraw and Mike Brown (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4414209) started.

That in itself may send another message – take advantage of your opportunities, because you may not receive that many. McGraw played well against the Rams and so did young safety DaJuan Morgan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307540). They didn’t squander their opportunity, and made the 53-man roster.

Who will replace Pollard? It may be Brown, McGraw or Morgan, no one knows at the moment. But whoever it is, we do know they’ll have to keep performing as they did during the preseason. The message has been sent.

Good article that gets to the heart of what we're seeing from KC's new regime right now.

Valiant
09-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Good article that gets to the heart of what we're seeing from KC's new regime right now.

Yeah and basically a reprint of what the Star printed today and what people on hear have said..

petegz28
09-06-2009, 07:48 PM
WPI, on top of it as usual....LMAO

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
WPI, on top of it as usual....LMAO

This is commentary, not news. We had the news on the site yesterday when it broke. I shouldn't even respond to your post, because I know no good will come of it, but I just wanted to clear that up. Now someone tell me what a moron I am.

booger
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
stop it nobody cares

wild1
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah and basically a reprint of what the Star printed today and what people on hear have said..

what i was thinking.

Terribilis
09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
nice article

boogblaster
09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
More too come ..

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:01 PM
nice article

You're supposed to rip me.

DaFace
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Didn't the Star print an article with this exact same title a few days ago?

booger
09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
stop it nobody cares

wasn't meant for you goatse. fcking dog was licking his balls again.

Phobia
Now someone tell me what a moron I am.

Why? That's the kind of news WPI breaks.

Hammock Parties
This thread is crazy.

T-post Tom
09-06-2009, 08:05 PM
This is commentary, not news. We had the news on the site yesterday when it broke. I shouldn't even respond to your post, because I know no good will come of it, but I just wanted to clear that up. Now someone tell me what a moron I am.

You are not a moron. Thank you for sharing the commentary.

Coach
09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Didn't the Star print an article with this exact same title a few days ago?

I think it's something related to the Haley using the demotion tactic.

DaFace
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I think it's something related to the Haley using the demotion tactic.

Yeah, I think this was what I was thinking of.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1421341.html

wild1
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
As a veteran who has played both tackle spots, McIntosh has the capability to come off the bench

What does that mean exactly? Yes, McIntosh is indeed ambulatory. He has two legs and two feet.

and, at the very least, help an offense avoid complete disasters in pass protection.

What the hell is this? He may still be able to run block, he's awful against the pass because he's not mobile anymore. Has the author ever seen him play before? Is this yours?

And since when has he been anything other than a complete disaster in pass protection? He's absolutely finished in the league.

Didn't make it any further, I'm sure there are more nuggets though.

Miles
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Solid article. Interesting punctuation at times that I wouldn't use myself but it still flows well.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
And since when has he been anything other than a complete disaster in pass protection? He's absolutely finished in the league.

Someone is going to sign him. He can help out as a backup. I actually think he's better on the left side than the right side.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Ike Ndukwe is now a young tackle with talent?

GC, in the future, when considering evidence for an argument, try this on:

Sufficient
Typical
Accurate
Relevant

You failed miserably to prove that Ndukwe is any kind of upgrade, that he's young, or that he has talent (how many teams is this now?).

It also doesn't help that Barry Richardson is more talented than either of the two replacements, yet was let go. Now, it could well be for reasons outside of the field, and that is a legitimate reason to cut someone, but you have to be honest in how you construct your argument otherwise you'll come off as a hack.

wild1
09-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Someone is going to sign him. He can help out as a backup. I actually think he's better on the left side than the right side.

The argument being made was, McIntosh shouldn't have been cut. Which is stupid conceptually, and even worse after the stupid reasons were given to try to justify it.

It was claimed that he is not a disaster at pass blocking, which is just totally false. If anything his strength is run blocking. You'd have to have not watched a down of the preseason to think he could still pass block. He can't even slow people down.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Ike Ndukwe is now a young tackle with talent?

You've found a new whipping boy it seems...

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:28 PM
The argument being made was, McIntosh shouldn't have been cut.

Not at all.

But then, it's you.

Hi!

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:30 PM
If anything his strength is run blocking.

He's a terrible run blocker. It's not even a question that pass blocking is his strength.

T-post Tom
09-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Actually, I think he's better at either guard as his pass and run blocking footwork is too sloppy to play in space.

wild1
He's a terrible run blocker. It's not even a question that pass blocking is his strength.

Didn't see any of the preseason, eh?

wild1
Actually, I think he's better at either guard as his pass blocking footwork is too sloppy to play in space.

He should be playing left tackle. McIntosh is a pass blocking god.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Didn't see any of the preseason, eh?

It would seem you didn't.

Nor did you watch him the last two years.

Mac gets zero push most of the time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
God, just eat a dick already.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
God, just eat a dick already.

Pollard has been made an example of!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
As long as you keep him in your heart for the next ten years...

wild1
09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
It would seem you didn't.

Nor did you watch him the last two years.

Mac gets zero push most of the time.

You're right. He's an incredible pass blocker and a poor run blocker. He never has problems with speed rushers. He tosses rushers aside like King Kong, and clotheslines blitzing linebackers with his mammoth erection. The only time anyone gets by is if he decides to throw them into the seats at the other end of the stadium. Willie Roaf sits at home watching the game in his McIntosh jersey. Jon Ogden will probably offer to towel off McIntosh's balls just so he can claim he was close to greatness.

JD10367
09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm still learning the ropes here, so I just want to make sure I'm clear about this.

1.) You, GoChiefs, work for some outfit named WPI, and either write or co-write these stories you link. (Fairly well-written stories, by the way.)

2.) You post them here.

3.) They kick you around like a soccer ball and basically treat you like a cheap Filipino prostitute on the Army base on a Friday night that falls on a payday.

4.) You come back for more.

:shrug: Just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm still learning the ropes here, so I just want to make sure I'm clear about this.

1.) You, GoChiefs, work for some outfit named WPI, and either write or co-write these stories you link. (Fairly well-written stories, by the way.)

2.) You post them here.

3.) They kick you around like a soccer ball and basically treat you like a cheap Filipino prostitute on the Army base on a Friday night that falls on a payday.

It's a barrel of monkeys. Without this thread how would we know that Damion McIntosh is a road grader?

wild1
09-06-2009, 08:47 PM
It's a barrel of monkeys. Without this thread how would we know that Damion McIntosh is a road grader?

You're a moron. If anything he was just adequate in the run game, you're the one who supposedly watched second and third string pass rushers fly by him all preseason and think he's Anthony Munoz

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
You're a moron. If anything he was just adequate in the run game

I'd say he was terrible in the running game and adequate in the passing game, with occasional flashes of total incompetency.

But he is an awful run blocker. He has skinny legs. He gets no push. You'd have to be blind not to see these things.

Miles
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
The argument being made was, McIntosh shouldn't have been cut. Which is stupid conceptually, and even worse after the stupid reasons were given to try to justify it.

He was due for a fairly large payment given his lack of ability.

DaFace
09-06-2009, 09:03 PM

2.) You post them here.

As a small bit of backstory, WPI has been a bit of a laughingstock around here long before GoChiefs became a staff member. Likewise, GoChiefs has been on the Planet long before he became a part of WPI. So that explains the "coming back for more" part a bit.

wild1
09-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I'd say he was terrible in the running game and adequate in the passing game, with occasional flashes of total incompetency.

But he is an awful run blocker. He has skinny legs. He gets no push. You'd have to be blind not to see these things.

Whatever. Gretz said the same thing the other day, and he's been clowning your "publication" the entire preseason. I wouldn't expect you guys to start being right now I suppose.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Whatever. Gretz said the same thing the other day, and he's been clowning your "publication" the entire preseason. I wouldn't expect you guys to start being right now I suppose.

You've got spunk, n00b.

But McIntosh is an awful run blocker. Just terrible. The Chiefs didn't sign him two years ago because he could run block. They signed him because they desperately needed someone who wasn't a total suckass pass blocker at left tackle, as Jordan Black was. He gave them that (Black was worst in the league in sacks allowed), but little else.

JD10367
09-06-2009, 09:06 PM
As a small bit of backstory, WPI has been a bit of a laughingstock around here long before GoChiefs became a staff member. Likewise, GoChiefs has been on the Planet long before he became a part of WPI. So that explains the "coming back for more" part a bit.

Gotcha.

But it all still seems a bit masochistic. :D

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/media/photos/191_nm_iran_flogging_071128_ms.jpg

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Gotcha.

But it all still seems a bit masochistic. :D

I get hammered in pretty much every other thread around here. But this thread is pretty popular. If a WPI thread is constantly bumped on Chiefsplanet, I'm not going to complain.

ForeverChiefs58
09-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Good article. I liked it.

Saccopoo
09-06-2009, 09:54 PM
An excellent article C.E. Insightful, witty, well articulated with just the right touch of drollness. Perhaps your most successful use of punctuation to date. Concise as well as informative, with underlying tones of sanctimonious redemption and self-satisfaction. A worthy Hemmingwayish effort in the genre of short story sports based literature. Kudos to you young man!

KCChiefsMan
09-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm happy they cut Pollard, the dude flat out sucks. What did he miss like 5 tackles vs the seahawks in the 1st quarter?

wild1
09-06-2009, 09:57 PM
You've got spunk, n00b.

But McIntosh is an awful run blocker. Just terrible. The Chiefs didn't sign him two years ago because he could run block. They signed him because they desperately needed someone who wasn't a total suckass pass blocker at left tackle, as Jordan Black was. He gave them that (Black was worst in the league in sacks allowed), but little else.

No one, not even Carl and Herm, thought that McIntosh was a long term solution. He was 30 years old already when they brought him in, he had never been a quality starter in the league, he washed out of a bad team as part of their retooling. He was a stopgap, and they addressed the position in the following draft. Then he was a spare part, now he's being written off.

Stopgaps and spare parts are not the way things are being done now. Instead of having this guy who, in one or two situations MIGHT be able to fill in and play a few downs, they are going to sift as much dirt as they can looking for something they can use.

There's no need to waste a locker on him. He's not part of the future, he's not even part of the present. He should never have been part of the past.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
No one, not even Carl and Herm, thought that McIntosh was a long term solution. He was 30 years old already when they brought him in, he had never been a quality starter in the league, he washed out of a bad team as part of their retooling. He was a stopgap, and they addressed the position in the following draft. Then he was a spare part, now he's being written off.

Stopgaps and spare parts are not the way things are being done now. Instead of having this guy who, in one or two situations MIGHT be able to fill in and play a few downs, they are going to sift as much dirt as they can looking for something they can use.

There's no need to waste a locker on him. He's not part of the future, he's not even part of the present. He should never have been part of the past.

Agree completely!

Hammock Parties
09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
An excellent article C.E. Insightful, witty, well articulated with just the right touch of drollness. Perhaps your most successful use of punctuation to date. Concise as well as informative, with underlying tones of sanctimonious redemption and self-satisfaction. A worthy Hemmingwayish effort in the genre of short story sports based literature. Kudos to you young man!

LMAO

Saving dis.

R&GHomer
09-07-2009, 02:36 AM

WTF man, do you spoon with a thesaurus.

BryanBusby
09-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Mike Brown (DaJuan Morgan when he gets hurt) is simply keeping the starting SS spot warm for Eric Berry.

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Pioli: "Change of plans, Bernard, I need you to go back to the house and wait for me there
Later.....Pioli walks in as Pollard holds up a phone
Pioli: "You have to answer for Brady, Bernard"
Pollard starts to cry in horror as he realizes what is happening
Pioli: "aaaahn you think you could fool a Pioli?
Pollard: "Scott, you got it all wrong"
Pioli grabs and chair and sits down next to Pollard. He motions to one his thugs to get him a drink.
Pioli: "don't worry Bernard, you think I'm going to leave us short at safety? No, you're on the bench for a few weeks, that's your punishment. But admit what you did. Admit you deliberately took out Brady. But don't insult my intelligence. That makes me very angry. Now..who approached you? Was it Carl or was it Herm?
Pollard looks around and then whispers to Pioli
"It was Carl"
Pioli gets up "there's a car outside to take you to Baltimore. I'll tell Todd you'll be coming along.
Pollard starts to move toward the door then turn to Pioli
"Look, Scott"
"Go on get out of my sight!!"
Pollard gets into the car. As the car drives off Pioli starts walking with his Goons to his office. From the backseat a voice tells Pollard "I will need to see your playbook"
Pioli, the cold hearted bastard walks on..
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
09-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Good article. We enjoy your writing. Don't listen to the haters. They're just jealous.

RealSNR
09-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Pioli: "Change of plans, Bernard, I need you to go back to the house and wait for me there
Pioli grabs and chair and sits down next to Pollard. He motions to one his thugs to get him a drink.
Pioli: "don't worry Bernard, you think I'm going to leave us short at safety? No, you're on the bench for a few weeks, that's your punishment. But admit what you did. Admit you deliberately took out Brady. But don't insult my intelligence. That makes me very angry. Now..who approached you? Was it Carl or was it Herm?
"It was Carl"
Pioli gets up "there's a car outside to take you to Baltimore. I'll tell Todd you'll be coming along.
"Look, Scott"
Pollard gets into the car. As the car drives off Pioli starts walking with his Goons to his office. From the backseat a voice tells Pollard "I will need to see your playbook"
Posted via Mobile DeviceThis is fabulous

Mile High Mania
09-07-2009, 08:27 AM
So, you still just typing your stories from another state or have you moved to the KC area? Most people that attempt to become a beat writer, team correspondent or to simply be taken seriously when writing about a team like this at least make an effort to be within 1,000 miles of the teams HQ.

"But as poorly as McIntosh and Pollard played this preseason, cutting both made sense. Not only did it rid the roster of a pair of liabilities, but it definitely sent that message to the 53 Chiefs who made it – no one is safe."

No one is safe? How about, "don't suck and you'll play in the NFL".

Chiefnj2
09-07-2009, 08:28 AM

I agree. But, I am reminded of the phrase, those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it. Ndukwe is McIntosh version 2.0. They've replaced one underachieving RT with another. Good coaches and good teams know you have to address the trenches. I have no idea what KC was thinking this past offseason when it comes to the OL.

dellzip
09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
very good article!

TEX
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree. But, I am reminded of the phrase, those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it. Ndukwe is McIntosh version 2.0. They've replaced one underachieving RT with another. Good coaches and good teams know you have to address the trenches. I have no idea what KC was thinking this past offseason when it comes to the OL.

This is why Pioli failed test # 1. When you consider that he went out and got a franchise QB, it's even more of a failure. This line has been going down hill since Roaf retired and has been one of the worst in the league for the past 2 seasons, anyone could see that - anyone but those who mattered...:cuss:

Easy 6
09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
You've got spunk, n00b.

100% truth.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 02:35 PM
"It was Carl"
"Look, Scott"
Posted via Mobile Device

Mortician: "What would you have me do, Godfather"?

Pioli: "I want you to use all your skills, all your powers". "I don't want his mother to see him like this".

(Don Pioli pulls back cover on slab, exposing one mangled and beat to hell post-Ravens Matt Cassel)

Piioli: "LOOK WHAT THEY DID TO MY BOY"!

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:44 PM
The message seemed pretty simple. This roster sucks and nobody is really safe.