PDA

View Full Version : Poop wtf is twitter?

reiko57
09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
what good has this website ever done anyone, has jessica alba ever posted titty shots? i think not..

Mr. Arrowhead
09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
im still trying to figure out when someone tweets and puts RT@

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Does Palin use a twatter?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
im still trying to figure out when someone tweets and puts RT@
RT stands for "re-tweet." They're re-tweeting a post that they liked or want to share with their own followers.

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I thought I was a call for a Right Tackle
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Repost:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208590&highlight=twitter

JD10367
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
A posting board is a place online where people can meet, under the guise of discussing a specirfic topic, and proceed to insult and harass each other with weird minutiae, creepy shit, stalking, pr0n, etc.,.

Facebook is a site that acts like an individual posting board, except now you can harass only your "Friends" with stuff, and inform them of the daily minutiae of your exciting life (e.g. "Just took a dump and then ate Cheerios for breakfast").

Twitter is like Facebook except, instead of forcing someone to turn on a computer, you can actually send the annoying minutiae right to their cellphone. Because who doesn't like to be interrupted during a movie, important business meeting, or hot date with a cellphone page that says, "JST TUK A DMP N THN 8 CHRYOS 4 BRKFAST"?

The next invention will have us beaming these thoughts right into your mind. Like a tormented psychic, your brain will be flooded all day with this kind of crap.

Can you Twitter in Second Life? What would happen? It makes your head hurt. Or, even better, while in Second Life, can your avatar be playing Warcraft online--well, online, online--and then can your avatar Twitter?

Someone unplug me so Morpheus can rescue me from the Matrix...

salame
09-07-2009, 11:17 AM
http://rullmania.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/twitter_sucks1.jpg

Pioli Zombie
09-07-2009, 11:21 AM
A posting board is a place online where people can meet, under the guise of discussing a specirfic topic, and proceed to insult and harass each other with weird minutiae, creepy shit, stalking, pr0n, etc.,.

Facebook is a site that acts like an individual posting board, except now you can harass only your "Friends" with stuff, and inform them of the daily minutiae of your exciting life (e.g. "Just took a dump and then ate Cheerios for breakfast").

Twitter is like Facebook except, instead of forcing someone to turn on a computer, you can actually send the annoying minutiae right to their cellphone. Because who doesn't like to be interrupted during a movie, important business meeting, or hot date with a cellphone page that says, "JST TUK A DMP N THN 8 CHRYOS 4 BRKFAST"?

The next invention will have us beaming these thoughts right into your mind. Like a tormented psychic, your brain will be flooded all day with this kind of crap.

Can you Twitter in Second Life? What would happen? It makes your head hurt. Or, even better, while in Second Life, can your avatar be playing Warcraft online--well, online, online--and then can your avatar Twitter?

Someone unplug me so Morpheus can rescue me from the Matrix...
Hell will be like an eternal online conversation with annoying people. Like Chiefsplanet you can't turn off.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
09-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Hell will be like an eternal online conversation with annoying people. Like Chiefsplanet you can't turn off. And with Carl and Herm eternally in charge.Posted via Mobile Device

Fixed. :)

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 01:42 PM
what good has this website ever done anyone,

It has done a lot of people good. Including myself.

Jenson71
09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
It's where we can see what our favorite celebrities are doing.

Holy damn! Miley Cirus just got a vente from Starbucks. I'm gonna go get one now!

DBOSHO
09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
im sitting on the couch.

im getting off of the couch

im making a sandwich

teedubya
09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Ive made some of the best business contacts via Twitter... in fact, I have a 150k-250k profitable project working with a connection I made in Twitter... and the amount of great people in Kansas City interactive has been invaluable.

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 01:57 PM
It's where we can see what our favorite celebrities are doing.

Holy damn! Miley Cirus just got a vente from Starbucks. I'm gonna go get one now!

im sitting on the couch.

im getting off of the couch

im making a sandwich

Meh, if someone uses it to put out the lowest common denominator that is what you are going to get back.

kysirsoze
09-07-2009, 01:58 PM
It has done a lot of people good. Including myself.

The question was 'what good?' Care to elaborate?

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
The question was 'what good?' Care to elaborate?

Money..

It has been a valuable tool for companies. Companies can connect with existing and potential customers in new ways, become thought leaders in their industry, or use it to do a number of things based on what they do and what their goals are.

Businesses have given to my company graciously to help them use these social media tools but the best part is that they are getting quick and painless ROI.

You can niche market like never for...create customer service situations that are public.

If your company was a person, would you want to be friends with it?

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Money..

It has been a valuable tool for companies. Companies can connect with existing and potential customers in new ways, become thought leaders in their industry, or use it to do a number of things based on what they do and what their goals are.

Businesses have given my company graciously to help them use these social media tools but the best part is that they are getting quick and painless ROI.

You can niche market like never for...create customer service situations that are public.

It has also been a great push for my photography services.

Aside from all the business stuff I get news from Twitter faster than any other source. Google can't touch its ability to get information out.

kysirsoze
09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Money..

Businesses have given to my company graciously to help them use these social media tools but the best part is that they are getting quick and painless ROI.

It has also been a great push for my photography services.

Aside from all the business stuff I get news from Twitter faster than any other source. Google can't touch its ability to get information out.

Makes sense, but in my limited experience, there is so much crap to sift through, I could see pertinent info getting lost in the shuffle.

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Ive made some of the best business contacts via Twitter... in fact, I have a 150k-250k profitable project working with a connection I made in Twitter... and the amount of great people in Kansas City interactive has been invaluable.

Save your breath, dude. I have made contacts w/in my field that I'd otherwise never have had a chance make. It's outstanding and the folks who are entrenched in their ways, will never take the time to understand it's capabilities.

kcxiv
09-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Twitter is almost the same as a messageboard forum. Its just intertwines with everyone.

I dont see much of a difference other then messageboards like these ones are just fans of a certain team.

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Makes sense, but in my limited experience, there is so much crap to sift through, I could see pertinent info getting lost in the shuffle.

It is what you make of it. Your twitter stream is based on solely on who you choose to follow.

I use a program called Tweetdeck to help sort through it though. I create groups or make sure I get certain keywords or phrases. Things of that nature.

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Twitter is almost the same as a messageboard forum. Its just intertwines with everyone.

I dont see much of a difference other then messageboards like these ones are just fans of a certain team.

Twitter is more open and instant. It isn't gated like a messageboard is.

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:37 PM
It is what you make of it. Your twitter stream is based on solely on who you choose to follow.

I use a program called Tweetdeck to help sort through it though. I create groups or make sure I get certain keywords or phrases. Things of that nature.
Same here. And I thank ari for bringin it up in a thread. It took me a good while to learn what to do with tweetdeck. But trial and error, and viola, I use a keyword that may land me a job in paradise.

|Zach|
09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Same here. And I thank ari for bringin it up in a thread. It took me a good while to learn what to do with tweetdeck. But trial and error, and viola, I use a keyword that may land me a job in paradise.

Twitter isn't for everyone. Nobody is saying it is...

But when people spew out that celebrity\what I had for lunch bullshit without even trying or knowing anything about what they are criticizing it makes me cringe.

Stewie
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I get really annoyed when the local morning news people are Twitting on their little computers during breaks. Then they come on and tell you they're Twitting, like they're high tech and "with it." **** you! I don't give a shit about what you're doing online. Now get to the weather so I can decide if I should go to work or head to the golf course.

Jerm
09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Twitter is awesome...best source for news, whatever it may be or you want, there is around.

You can find stuff on there way in advance than anywhere else.

kindra68
09-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I know it’s stupid nonsense, but @shitmydadsays cracks me up.

blaise
09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I like it, mostly just for kicks. The Sklar Brothers are one of my favorites to follow.

Easy 6
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
http://rullmania.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/twitter_sucks1.jpg

LOL, exactly.

The - only - thing of value 'twit' has given the world thus far, is help keep it up to speed on what was going down in Iran.

Fish
09-08-2009, 09:33 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2009/08/forty-percent-of-twitter-posts-pointless-babble.html

Forty percent of Twitter posts "pointless babble"

Tweets aren't always sweet -- sometimes they're just "pointless babble."
Actually, they are 40% of the time, based on a study of 2,000 random tweets over two weeks by Pear Analytics, which released a report today (http://www.pearanalytics.com/2009/twitter-study-reveals-interesting-results-about-usage/). The researcher deemed 811 tweets as babble, compared to 751 (38%) as conversational, 174 (8%) as moderately interesting and 117 (6%) as self promotional.
Spam accounted for only 4%, or 75, of the tweets.
The results surprised Pear researchers, who expected a preponderance of self-promotional tweets.

By Jon Swartz

So yeah... http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7992/twittertweets.gif

Saulbadguy
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I imagine the morons who dislike twitter are the same people who dislike(d) cell phones, e-mail, the internet, ...umbrellas.

donkhater
09-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Well, I opened an account and thought it was pretty pointless, but once football season came around I started following Adam Schefter, Peter King, some fantasy football sites and the chiefs and the breaking news in the NFL is pretty instant. That's pretty much all I use it for.

Sure-Oz
09-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Twitter is great if you follow the appropriate outlets. I follow alot of sports and news sites/people. Very useful for updates, and i follow a few friends and celebrities as well. Also follow restaraunts or any electronics things for updates on sales etc. Anything breaking news is instant with twitter and i often go there first for updates from schefter, or any sports analyst/reporter. its great

88TG88
09-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I can see how it would be useful in running a business. But, you'd have to have like 50,000 followers to have it make a big difference.

Iowanian
09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to use this to help my business. It makes sense for what I do, due to the type of clients I work with, but so far, the advantage I see is answering questions people put up, hoping to drag them to my door/email/pocket book.

Filtering out the mindless babble would be the key for me to be able to use it.

Demonpenz
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I am not annoyed that much by it, as I am more annoyed with other stuff. I wasn't really annoyed either when shows ended by giving you an email address to email too. This is about the same thing exept i don't have to bring outlook or hotmail up.

Deberg_1990
09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
If u aint tweetin, you aint livin

Get busy tweetin or get busy dyin

JD10367
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
"Twittering: when you positively, absolutely, have to know someone's meaningless crap ASAP." No thanks. I'll wait the 30 seconds it takes for the news to break on CNN or, if it's sports-related, for someone to post it on a message board.

Bad enough we have assholes who drive while talking on the cellphone, and then texting IMs to each other... now, with Twitter, they're doing that shit all the time as well, causing even more car crashes. How f**king important do you think you are, or whoever you're "Tweeting" with?

And do you know how stupid it is to see someone's fingers flying over those tiny keys as they type out a Tweet or an IM that sounds like it was written by Prince? "I JST 8 LNCH + WILL B DRVNG 2 PCK U UP @ 4P, K?" Here's a news flash: WE INVENTED THE F**KING CELLPHONE SO YOU COULD TALK TO PEOPLE! JUST CALL THEM, FOR CRISSAKES! Using a cellphone--which is designed for vocal communication--to Tweet or IM is like using your car to walk your dog.

The world is becoming one giant Tower of Babble. The faster we communicate, the less we seem to say. We're becoming isolated in our houses with our computers and TVs, and now we have Bluetooth earpieces or walk around with our heads down Twittering or IMing into our portable devices. We're heading for that scenario Asimov described in his Elijah Bailey/Daneel robot novel "The Naked Sun": a population of phobia-ridden people who live solitary lives indoors and only communicate with others electronically.

suds79
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
"Twittering: when you positively, absolutely, have to know someone's meaningless crap ASAP." No thanks. I'll wait the 30 seconds it takes for the news to break on CNN or, if it's sports-related, for someone to post it on a message board.

Bad enough we have assholes who drive while talking on the cellphone, and then texting IMs to each other... now, with Twitter, they're doing that shit all the time as well, causing even more car crashes. How f**king important do you think you are, or whoever you're "Tweeting" with?

And do you know how stupid it is to see someone's fingers flying over those tiny keys as they type out a Tweet or an IM that sounds like it was written by Prince? "I JST 8 LNCH + WILL B DRVNG 2 PCK U UP @ 4P, K?" Here's a news flash: WE INVENTED THE F**KING CELLPHONE SO YOU COULD TALK TO PEOPLE! JUST CALL THEM, FOR CRISSAKES! Using a cellphone--which is designed for vocal communication--to Tweet or IM is like using your car to walk your dog.

The world is becoming one giant Tower of Babble. The faster we communicate, the less we seem to say. We're becoming isolated in our houses with our computers and TVs, and now we have Bluetooth earpieces or walk around with our heads down Twittering or IMing into our portable devices. We're heading for that scenario Asimov described in his Elijah Bailey/Daneel robot novel "The Naked Sun": a population of phobia-ridden people who live solitary lives indoors and only communicate with others electronically.

Or you could have said "I just don't get it."

Angry much?

JD10367
09-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Or you could have said "I just don't get it."

Angry much?

F**K YOU!!!

:evil:

And, yeah, I don't get it.

Sully
09-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I didn't get it at first.
I signed on, and didn't see the point. But I found an add-on for Firefox that updates tweets as they come through, and I started following some football writers, and now I love it. The rumors and injury news bits come right up on my browser.

I'm sure I'm still not getting the most out of it, but so far, I love it.

I wish my phone had an app to use it on the go, but for some reason, I can't even get a hit when I search apps through Sprint. I plan, in January, to upgrade to either a palm or an iphone, so I'll be all over it, then.

Jilly
09-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I love it because I can keep up with the news on the spot with virtually no effort. It's nice.

JD10367
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I love it because I can keep up with the news on the spot with virtually no effort. It's nice.

:shrug: How much news on the spot is there? From what I understand, if it really exists, it's high on the forward wall and you reach it by hooking your index finger in a "come hither" move and... oh, wait, I read that wrong. Never mind.

Bob Dole
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Interesting to note that apparently Best Buy is now requiring their job applicants to have at least 250 followers.

http://bit.ly/PIRts

Jilly
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
:shrug: How much news on the spot is there? From what I understand, if it really exists, it's high on the forward wall and you reach it by hooking your index finger in a "come hither" move and... oh, wait, I read that wrong. Never mind.

the come hither move is more annoying and less pleasuring....try applying a little pressure and more of a massaging circular motion

JD10367
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
the come hither move is more annoying and less pleasuring....try applying a little pressure and more of a massaging circular motion

This thread has taken a wonderful turn.

Jilly
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
This thread has taken a wonderful turn.

I'm here to help.

JD10367
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm here to help.

Pics or videos, with step-by-step instructions, would be a plus. :)

Jilly
09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
we'll start with this one....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2j0cjxIO-Vk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2j0cjxIO-Vk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jilly
09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MT2WCRH1_U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MT2WCRH1_U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cuz I know you're hooked now.

stevieray
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
the sounds birds make on a wire.

suds79
Cuz I know you're hooked now.

lol so true. ROFL Show is cracking me up. Can't stop now.

Jilly
Pics or videos, with step-by-step instructions, would be a plus. :)

are these not the kind you were thinking of?

Jilly
09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
lol so true. ROFL Show is cracking me up. Can't stop now.

And here's the one where he asks the zoo keeper

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gsiMHkJQIs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gsiMHkJQIs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

|Zach|
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I can see how it would be useful in running a business. But, you'd have to have like 50,000 followers to have it make a big difference.

False.

Demonpenz
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I wish I was selling shit for my school when twitter was around. Alot better than f-ing going door to door bothering people who hose you down with their sprinkler, easier to twitter them

Demonpenz
09-09-2009, 11:20 AM
i just had an image in my head of |Zach| in the chris issac wicked games video.

thanks twitter

MikeMaslowski
09-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I wish I was selling shit for my school when twitter was around. Alot better than f-ing going door to door bothering people who hose you down with their sprinkler, easier to twitter them

If you would have sold the chocolate that they wanted you to instead of your grandmas vibrators and sisters herpie meds I think you would've been ok.

Bearcat
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Seeing stuff close to real time is obviously part of the fascination, but it's just scratching the surface. Like Zach said, it's what you make of it. The best people on Twitter provide great content and great conversation. If the news is important to you, don't you want to tell other people? See what others think about it? Have a conversation?

Using a cellphone--which is designed for vocal communication--to Tweet or IM is like using your car to walk your dog.

...and you can't really do that well by calling all of your friends. On Twitter, I can talk to software engineers from Google and Microsoft, writers and editors of TechCrunch, HR people for career info, etc. Even if you don't have a business need for it, why not seek out people with common interests that you would otherwise never meet?

Eh, this is a pretty stale argument, especially considering there are many events that take place only because sites like Twitter exist. I've met several Chiefs fans from this site, and I'm sure one day I'll meet people in person that I originally met on Twitter. Hell, if you're really into face-to-face, you don't even have to post on Twitter... you can find 'real-life' events and just show up.

Again, it's what you make of it. There's a lot of garbage and the lazy thing to do is make an account, post "trying out this twitter thing", and then say "I don't get it".... so, grab a random book off a bookshelf, flip to page 84, read the first sentence, and then tell me the book sucks; because that's what a lot of people do with Twitter.

|Zach|
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
BreakingNews: BULLETIN -- FAA: MID-AIR COLLISSION IN THE PHOENIX, ARIZONA AREA.

Posted 2 mins ago.

http://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/3867684859

|Zach|
09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
BreakingNews: BULLETIN -- FAA: MID-AIR COLLISSION IN THE PHOENIX, ARIZONA AREA.

Posted 2 mins ago.

http://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/3867684859

15 mins. later...still nothing on all the sources news.google.com taps into.

Nothing on CNN.com

Demonpenz
09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
zonagirl99: OMG THIS AIRPLANE FOOD SUX TTL Girles from the 708! Cya In L.A. OMG what was that boom?

updated 5 minutes ago

Fish
09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
15 mins. later...still nothing on all the sources news.google.com taps into.

Nothing on CNN.com

LOL.... 15 mins later and your link says "That page doesn't exist!"

Twitter is great like that...

ModSocks
09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
So how do small business owners use twitter to make there business grow?

blaise
09-09-2009, 12:17 PM
So how do small business owners use twitter to make there business grow?

If you can get people to follow you you could post information about promotions, new products, or sales.

|Zach|
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM
LOL.... 15 mins later and your link says "That page doesn't exist!"

Twitter is great like that...

My bad, I put it in wrong.

http://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/3867700419

First sighting on AP!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jjHS8S3jIndU2oI6WHB_KqB-pvwAD9AJURCG1

|Zach|
09-09-2009, 12:21 PM
KC Fish...right before Iran election happening.

"So twitter is an old idea made to work with current technology?

Not exactly revolutionary......"

Fish
09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
My bad, I put it in wrong.

http://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/3867700419

First sighting on AP!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jjHS8S3jIndU2oI6WHB_KqB-pvwAD9AJURCG1

That makes more sense. The twitter update beat the AP update by 18 minutes. That's pretty good I guess.