PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are we done with waiver wire pickups or still shopping?

shammus
09-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm hoping we're not standing pat with just signing O'Callaghan as our new RT. We've been hearing for weeks about how "3-5 starters aren't even on the roster yet" which Pioli even mentioned himself in an interview a couple weeks ago.

I would have liked to have seen us take a shot at Forney or Stepanovich for our O-line for instance. I think either of them would be an upgrade over Niswanger and Goff. There were several TEs I liked too that could have helped out as well. We have quite a few guys on our roster that can easily be cut to make room for new signees. One or two of the linebackers comes to mind, guys like Copper and Colclough as well....

Not entirely sure how the waiver/claiming process works. Are teams still claiming guys off waivers and does anyone think the Chiefs might not be done yet?

RustShack
09-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't believe he said starters.. but we have added Alleman, Ndukwe, and O'Callaghan since then.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
"We have scouts at every game"....

....that the Patriots are playing in.

So if the Patriots are done cutting players, I'd have to say yes, we are done. Maybe Parcells will float a couple of guys our way if we're lucky.

riskrevival
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
what teams do guys have to play on for us to take... Pats, Miami, Dallas, Arizona, Chicago and the Jets? Is that what this new FO has ties to? So if there is a player who hasnt played for any of those teams you can just forget about them coming here.

Dante84
09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
what teams do guys have to play on for us to take... Pats, Miami, Dallas, Arizona, Chicago and the Jets? Is that what this new FO has ties to? So if there is a player who hasnt played for any of those teams you can just forget about them coming here.

Right. Because we all know that Pioli is too busy cleaning his 3 superbowl rings to look at player outside of those 6 teams.

Did you want us to get 31 players, one from each of the other teams? Jesus. Its been one off season. Chill the fuck out.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Right. Because we all know that Pioli is too busy cleaning his 3 superbowl rings to look at player outside of those 6 teams.

Did you want us to get 31 players, one from each of the other teams? Jesus. Its been one off season. Chill the **** out.

Don't you think he has Belichick clean them for him? Afterall, Belichick's the one that earned them.

Gimme a break with this crap. I don't give a large rat's ass about this guy's pedigree, especially when we have no earthly idea just how much of it he was actually responsible for. I'm going to look at what he's actually done with the Chiefs. All he's done thus far is hire cronies and acquire guys he's familiar with. Boy, that's a tough one.

BTW - Belichick just traded the most dominant 5-technique in football for a draft pick that's less valuable than the pick we just used on a 5-technique that doesn't project to be nearly as good (but will still cost damn near as much). Why? Because you don't need a damn all-world DE in a 3-4. The good news is that we probably don't have an all-world DE. Unfortunately he was drafted and paid like one.

Still think Pioli was the one responsible for that dynasty?

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 12:42 PM
We're done.

Just Passin' By
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Don't you think he has Belichick clean them for him? Afterall, Belichick's the one that earned them.

Gimme a break with this crap. I don't give a large rat's ass about this guy's pedigree, especially when we have no earthly idea just how much of it he was actually responsible for. I'm going to look at what he's actually done with the Chiefs. All he's done thus far is hire cronies and acquire guys he's familiar with. Boy, that's a tough one.

BTW - Belichick just traded the most dominant 5-technique in football for a draft pick that's less valuable than the pick we just used on a 5-technique that doesn't project to be nearly as good (but will still cost damn near as much). Why? Because you don't need a damn all-world DE in a 3-4. The good news is that we probably don't have an all-world DE. Unfortunately he was drafted and paid like one.

Actually, the reason for Seymour moving is generally attributed to this being the last year of his contract and the Patriots feeling that they would not be able to re-sign him. As a result, the claim is that they took a first because it was what they could get for a player in his last year on the team. I don't pretend to know the actual reason, but that's #1 on most people's list.

Also, the Patriots have gone with much more 4-3 alignments this offseason.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
As a result, the claim is that they took a first because it was what they could get for a player in his last year on the team. I don't pretend to know the actual reason, but that's #1 on most people's list.

True, but the reason they didn't feel they could re-sign him is that they don't priorize his position. The word is that they're simply going to spend 'his' money on the nose or divided elsewhere throughout the scheme.

In other words, they just aren't placing much value on having the best 5 technique out there.

Dante84
09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Afterall, Belichick's the one that earned them.

especially when we have no earthly idea just how much of it he was actually responsible for.

So, we have no idea how much he was responsible for. But we know that it was all Belicheck. Okay, that makes sense. I get it.

Do you think that Pioli tried to trade out of that 3 spot? I do. Do you think he had any takers? I don't. Do you think Seymour was available at that point? I don't, large in part because of cap issues that the Patriots had.

And how stupid of Pioli, to hire people that he knows and trusts?! Who does he think he is?!!! How dare he not put his new job in the hands of people he hasn't worked with before?

You give ME a break. Anyone who gets a news job is going to hire people he is familiar with. Just because he hasn't shattered our piggy bank and sold all of our draft picks to go get Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall, or any other super big name in his first offseason, doesn't mean he is completely inept.

Let's agree to reserve judgement until a few seasons have passed, eh?

T-post Tom
09-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Ummm...we haven't played one regular season game yet. Why not hold up on the Pioli hate until we see some results.

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Also, the Patriots have gone with much more 4-3 alignments this offseason.
Can you blame them? They have some big bodies up front and are going to be difficult to run on.

Warren - 6-5 300
Wilfork - 6-2 325
Brace - 6-3 330
Green - 6-3 285

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 12:55 PM
So, we have no idea how much he was responsible for. But we know that it was all Belicheck. Okay, that makes sense. I get it.

Do you think that Pioli tried to trade out of that 3 spot? I do. Do you think he had any takers? I don't. Do you think Seymour was available at that point? I don't, large in part because of cap issues that the Patriots had.

And how stupid of Pioli, to hire people that he knows and trusts?! Who does he think he is?!!! How dare he not put his new job in the hands of people he hasn't worked with before?

You give ME a break. Anyone who gets a news job is going to hire people he is familiar with. Just because he hasn't shattered our piggy bank and sold all of our draft picks to go get Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall, or any other super big name in his first offseason, doesn't mean he is completely inept.

Sure, let's hire a bunch of failures because Pioli knows them.

We're going to drool over Pioli's 3 rings (meanwhile it's business as usual in NE without him...hmmm) but we're going to completely ignore Pendergasts's history of monumental failure, Gibbs' stellar resume of mediocrity. Or the fact that Haley's been pretty well reviled everywhere he's been. Pioli really handled that OC gig well, didn't he?

Eh, Pioli knows 'em, so they must be good.

You're really okay with how he's handled player personnel this offseason? Or the coaching staff? You can't possibly be. You have to be going by purely blind faith here based on Pioli's resume.

Looking at how things have gone in NE since he's left and how it's gone in KC since he's arrived, I'd say it's not too tough to see who was pulling the levers in NE.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Ummm...we haven't played one regular season game yet. Why not hold up on the Pioli hate until we see some results.

Ultimately I'm fine with that.

At the same time, I'm really damn tired of hearing the same ol' "well he has 3 rings and you don't so you should shut up" crap. That's some head in the sand garbage for lazy-ass fans, IMO.

Look at what he's doing, not what he's done. I am thus far extremely unimpressed.

I could be wrong...

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Is "tried and failed" really that much different than "didn't try"?

T-post Tom
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Sure, let's hire a bunch of failures because Pioli knows them.

We're going to drool over Pioli's 3 rings (meanwhile it's business as usual in NE without him...hmmm) but we're going to completely ignore Pendergasts's history of monumental failure, Gibbs' stellar resume of mediocrity. Or the fact that Haley's been pretty well reviled everywhere he's been. Pioli really handled that OC gig well, didn't he?

Eh, Pioli knows 'em, so they must be good.

You're really okay with how he's handled player personnel this offseason? Or the coaching staff? You can't possibly be. You have to be going by purely blind faith here based on Pioli's resume.

Looking at how things have gone in NE since he's left and how it's gone in KC since he's arrived, I'd say it's not too tough to see who was pulling the levers in NE.

So what'd you think? Pioli was going to come in here and go all Harry Potter on the franchise and undo the Peterson/Edwards abortion in a few months? Doesn't happen that fast, bro. Do yourself a favor and switch to decaf. You'll live longer.

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
So what'd you think? Pioli was going to come in here and go all Harry Potter on the franchise and undo the Peterson/Edwards abortion in a few months? Doesn't happen that fast, bro. Do yourself a favor and switch to decaf. You'll live longer.
No, but is it too much to ask to fix the dam offensive line? It's not like everybody in the entire free world hasn't known is was a problem for months.

Tiger's Fan
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
blah blah blah I miss Carl Peterson blah blah blah.

T-post Tom
09-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I could be wrong...

Dude, that's the first step to recovery. :):clap: I have more hope, but I may be wrong too. I'm going to grade the new regime based on next season's performance. A playoff win next season would be good enough for me. Of course, they'll need to progress after that as well.

T-post Tom
09-07-2009, 01:07 PM
No, but is it too much to ask to fix the dam offensive line? It's not like everybody in the entire free world hasn't known is was a problem for months.

True. It'll happen. Don't worry. :D

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 01:07 PM
blah blah blah I miss Carl Peterson blah blah blah.
Nobody has even hinted at that, don't be silly.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 01:08 PM

Not at all.

But I didn't expect him to do the same thing we railed so bad on Carl for.

These vet pickups, the crony coaching staff, the reach/conservative draft. All of it is straight out of the Peterson playbook. If you hated Peterson, there's no way you can defend Pioli this offseason.

He traded for a QB, which I commend. However, I don't think he traded for a particularly good one, nor do I think he did anything to protect him. Other than the QB trade, this was a purely CP offseason.

I'm admittedly biased, I wanted Whaley or Hughes, but I still don't see how you can slide much more than a notecard between CP and Pioli this offseason.

T-post Tom
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Not at all.

These vet pickups, the crony coaching staff, the reach/conservative draft. All of it is straight out of the Peterson playbook. If you hated Peterson, there's no way you can defend Pioli this offseason.

He traded for a QB, which I commend. However, I don't think he traded for a particularly good one, nor do I think he did anything to protect him. Other than the QB trade, this was a purely CP offseason.

I'm admittedly biased, I wanted Whaley or Hughes, but I still don't see how you can slide much more than a notecard between CP and Pioli this offseason.

Results. Give it a chance. I'll gladly buy you a six pack of your favorite beer if the Chiefs don't exceed last year's 2-14.

the Talking Can
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Not at all.

peterson wouldn't have done anyting pioli and haley did

this meme about peterson is absurd

Dante84
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I am just saying, you make it seem like Pioli is a complete buffoon. There are many ways to got about approaching a team as horrible as ours.

I have some faith in him; Let's say NE's success is 100% BB's work. I don't think Pioli sat around playing Halo in his office for all the years he was there. Even if it was fully BB's efforts and ideas running the show, Pioli watched how it was done, and knows what it took to get it done.

I believe that Pioli had more than 0% effort put into building their dynasty. And the reason that NE's is still rolling is, well, what did you expect them to do? Shit the bed and trade Tom Brady?

I don't think he is God. I think he will have a lot more to offer us once we get back to mediocre. We are so horrible right now, that we have to start putting the fire out somewhere, and we only got one hose. Once its contained a little bit, then we will see the intelligence kick in.

IMHO

Dante84
09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh, and he is the Executive of the decade, so he's got that going for him.

Just Passin' By
09-07-2009, 01:25 PM
True, but the reason they didn't feel they could re-sign him is that they don't priorize his position. The word is that they're simply going to spend 'his' money on the nose or divided elsewhere throughout the scheme.

In other words, they just aren't placing much value on having the best 5 technique out there.

That's incorrect. The team paid Seymour for his last contract/extension.

riskrevival
09-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Did you want us to get 31 players, one from each of the other teams? Jesus. Its been one off season. Chill the **** out.

No, but if you open up your fucking eyes and look at our depth chart there is definitely more than 1 player out there that we could bring in that's better than what we have. I am not saying splurge the market or waste money either, but it seems we are passing on more guys than we are looking at, they brought all those vets in during training camp and in the offseason and cut over half of them already, and they only brought most of them in because they had ties to prior teams our FO associates with. I am saying for a shitty team filled with a low talent pool like the Chiefs, maybe we shouldn't be so picky when it comes to picking guys to fill holes. I don't buy into this "the player must be reccomended by a team our FO has ties to bullshit," I get it, we are getting Belichick's and Parcell's garbage players, we might be worse than we were last season based on talent.

Dante84
09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
No, but if you open up your ****ing eyes and look at our depth chart there is definitely more than 1 player out there that we could bring in that's better than what we have. I am not saying splurge the market or waste money either, but it seems we are passing on more guys than we are looking at, they brought all those vets in during training camp and in the offseason and cut over half of them already, and they only brought most of them in because they had ties to prior teams our FO associates with. I am saying for a shitty team filled with a low talent pool like the Chiefs, maybe we shouldn't be so picky when it comes to picking guys to fill holes. I don't buy into this "the player must be reccomended by a team our FO has ties to bullshit," I get it, we are getting Belichick's and Parcell's garbage players, we might be worse than we were last season based on talent.

:deevee:

RedThat
Not at all.

I think Pioli trading for Cassel was the best upgrade the Chiefs could make at the QB position. Imo, Cassel was the best option and thats no knock on Stafford or Sanchez.

Cassel gives the Chiefs a quality starter at QB. What better way to improve the QB position in acquiring a guy who comes from a winning organization and learned from the best in the game? He doesn't have much of resume, but the fact is, he has some NFL game experience and is familiar with the playbook and system. He also had a pretty productive season last year. When you add all these factors up, it means he has something to offer.

I still won't negate the fact that he has to prove to be a good NFL QB. He has to stay healthy, and consistently produce solid seasons. He did it last year, lets see if he can do it 3, 4 years in a row.

I don't think he is as talented as Stafford or Sanchez, but he doesn't have to be imo. As long as he is the "right" guy that blends in with the philosophy, and system and can win games for us.

KCDC
The way the roster looks, there has to be something more. We know that one QB will be cut when Cassel is ready to go. That's one spot.

I have to wonder whether there won't be some signings of a free agent or two. With only 8 OL, it begs for Pioli to take a look at Pashos. It will take maybe a week to get the deal done. I have to believe that there is a WR/teamer guy out there better than Copper. And, there has to be a better TE out there than our #3.

It may also be that they will bring in some of the cut guys to work them out in KC before signing them. The waiver process is great, but there's no time to bring them in and get a good look at them. You have to rely on tape and scouts (which should be enough in most cases, I grant you). So, I'm optimistic that we will bring in some guys for a look and maybe get a couple more.

Easy 6
09-07-2009, 01:34 PM
No, but if you open up your ****ing eyes and look at our depth chart there is definitely more than 1 player out there that we could bring in that's better than what we have. I am not saying splurge the market or waste money either, but it seems we are passing on more guys than we are looking at, they brought all those vets in during training camp and in the offseason and cut over half of them already, and they only brought most of them in because they had ties to prior teams our FO associates with. I am saying for a shitty team filled with a low talent pool like the Chiefs, maybe we shouldn't be so picky when it comes to picking guys to fill holes. I don't buy into this "the player must be reccomended by a team our FO has ties to bullshit," I get it, we are getting Belichick's and Parcell's garbage players, we might be worse than we were last season based on talent.

I would honestly rather have Bully Bill/Tuna castoffs than most others coaches leftovers.

If that makes me stupid, sign me up.

RustShack
09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
You know the Patriots weren't very talented when they won all those Super Bowls. They are way talented now and haven't won one. Like Pioli said, its the right 53 not the best 53.

Hootie
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
STRIKE FIFTY-EIGHT!

Micjones
09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
There are still 2-5 players out there that can help this team.
Leonard Pope, Justin Miller, Shaun Smith... (among others)

WhitiE
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM

pffff k.....

beach tribe
09-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Yeah, Seymore had NOTHING to do with winning those rings.

PLEASE!!!

Thing is, Seymore is over the fuqing hill. BB knows it, and RAPED the Raiders.

You're smarter than this.

LaChapelle
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Broncos cut Chad Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2009 5:30 PM ET
The day after a disgruntled wideout returned to practice in Denver, an underachieving wideout who actually was drafted two rounds higher than the disgruntled wideout has been let go by the Broncos.

The team announced that it has waived Chad Jackson.

Jackson entered the league in 2006 as a second-round pick of the Patriots. After appearing in 12 games as a rookie, with one start, Jackson tore an ACL during the postseason. The following year, Jackson disappeared on a depth chart that suddenly boasted Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and Donte' Stallworth.

Last year, the Pats gave up on Jackson, who landed in Denver. He appeared in only one game last year, catching one pass for 19 yards.

The handwriting likely was on the wall regarding this move from the moment Josh McDaniels became the head coach of the Broncos, given that McDaniels was the offensive coordinator in New England during Jackson's failed tenure there.

And, yes, Brandon Marshall remained on the board in 2006 until round four, picked after Jackson and Sinorice Moss and Travis Wilson and Derek Hagan and Brandon Williams and Maurice Stovall and Willie Reid and Brad Smith and Cory Rodgers and Jason Avant and Demetrius Williams.

OnTheWarpath15
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Broncos cut Chad Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2009 5:30 PM ET
The day after a disgruntled wideout returned to practice in Denver, an underachieving wideout who actually was drafted two rounds higher than the disgruntled wideout has been let go by the Broncos.

The team announced that it has waived Chad Jackson.

Jackson entered the league in 2006 as a second-round pick of the Patriots. After appearing in 12 games as a rookie, with one start, Jackson tore an ACL during the postseason. The following year, Jackson disappeared on a depth chart that suddenly boasted Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and Donte' Stallworth.

Last year, the Pats gave up on Jackson, who landed in Denver. He appeared in only one game last year, catching one pass for 19 yards.

The handwriting likely was on the wall regarding this move from the moment Josh McDaniels became the head coach of the Broncos, given that McDaniels was the offensive coordinator in New England during Jackson's failed tenure there.

And, yes, Brandon Marshall remained on the board in 2006 until round four, picked after Jackson and Sinorice Moss and Travis Wilson and Derek Hagan and Brandon Williams and Maurice Stovall and Willie Reid and Brad Smith and Cory Rodgers and Jason Avant and Demetrius Williams.

And here..we...go...

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/234/c/3/Here_we_go_joker_ref_pic_by_sullen_skrewt.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Were done with the top of the roster, it's all scrub trades now.

liljohn7
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
So while we debate the skill level of Scott Pioli after one off season and four preseason games, there are New England fans that are concerned about the job they are doing without Pioli. They are questioning the trade of Cassel and Vrabel for little in return, the fact that they don't have a reliable backup if Brady gets hurt again, the loss of several leaders on that team, and now the Seymour trade. It will be at least 3 seasons before you can tell how good Pioli is, judging him at this point is a waste of time.

One other thing that people choose to overlook is that we really have no idea whether they tried to improve this offensive line with free agents or not. This front office never leaks any information, so who knows if they went after any lineman and just couldn't convince them to join the 2 - 14 Kansas City Chiefs. It isn't like recruiting free agents to join the New England Patriots who are going to be in the playoff hunt every year.

So give Pioli some slack and lets see what he can do over a couple seasons. It might take more than a few months to wash away the stink of the last three seasons.

OnTheWarpath15
09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
So while we debate the skill level of Scott Pioli after one off season and four preseason games, there are New England fans that are concerned about the job they are doing without Pioli. They are questioning the trade of Cassel and Vrabel for little in return, the fact that they don't have a reliable backup if Brady gets hurt again, the loss of several leaders on that team, and now the Seymour trade.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

There are Patriots fans COMPLAINING about getting a 2nd for Cassel and getting a high 1st for Seymour?

Those moves were fucking genius.

Holy Christ, I thought we had some dumbshit fans.

keg in kc
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Haley's answer to this question today"Q: You said this was still a team in flux. How do you feel about the 53 guys you have?

HALEY: “Right now, I think we have the right 53. I think there is no doubt in my mind but this will be something we continue to work on the entire year. The rules have it that there can be movement on the bottom end of the roster and I think we’ll take full advantage of that to have the right 53 out there. You will continue to see some movement from the Chiefs.”

liljohn7
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
They thought they should have waited longer and played the Chiefs against the Broncos to get a better trade for Cassel. Some of them think Pioli got the best of them.

Dante84
09-07-2009, 04:49 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

There are Patriots fans COMPLAINING about getting a 2nd for Cassel and getting a high 1st for Seymour?

Those moves were ****ing genius.

Holy Christ, I thought we had some dumbshit fans.

Yeah, there are fans who are complaining that they let a franchised Cassel and Vrabel get away for only a 2nd. Believe it or not.

In fact, a lot of prognosticators and talking heads thought KC got a steal.

Hootie
09-07-2009, 05:37 PM
KC did get a steal in that trade...but it wasn't bad for New England, either.

Hootie
09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
If they let Cassel enter the draft this year...after his season in New England last year...(this is just hypothetical mind you)...he would have been thought of just as highly as Mark Sanchez...

So we traded a 2nd for a potential franchise QB and a defensive leader. How is that NOT a steal?

Hootie
09-07-2009, 05:39 PM
and New England had to unload Matt Cassel so they could get on with their offseason and sign guys like Galloway, Taylor, etc...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM
If they let Cassel enter the draft this year...after his season in New England last year...(this is just hypothetical mind you)...he would have been thought of just as highly as Mark Sanchez...

So we traded a 2nd for a potential franchise QB and a defensive leader. How is that NOT a steal?

Good God; just go back to the Chocolate Factory, Charlie.

Skip Towne
09-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Some around the league were screaming collusion.

Hootie
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Good God; just go back to the Chocolate Factory, Charlie.

Good response.

Matt Cassel has all of the same tools as Mark Sanchez...the Chiefs turned a #3 and a #34 (or whatever they had in the 2nd) into two top 5 picks...and they added Vrabel...

So yeah, the Chiefs traded a high 2nd for a potential franchise QB...the only people who are mad about that trade around here are the ones who would get mad about any trade no matter what...we could have traded a 3rd for Boldin, given him $30M guaranteed, and people would have been livid.

There are a group of people on this board who are unhappy no matter what...every season, every game, every week, every day...

I feel sorry for those people.

Hootie
09-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Some around the league were screaming collusion.

It's the same fucking people...

Now they are upset because our offensive line is shit...

The new regime hasn't had a regular season game and it's the same ol' bullshit...

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WHY IS CARL PETERSON STILL GM!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, PIOLI IS ARROGANT!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WE MESSED UP OUR 5TH AND 6TH ROUND PICKS!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WE DON'T DRAFT BPA!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WE NEEDED OL AND WE DRAFTED BPA INSTEAD!"

JuicesFlowing
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
There are a group of people on this board who are unhappy no matter what...every season, every game, every week, every day...

I feel sorry for those people.

You mean the people who are giving Pioli as much heat in one off season as Carl Peterson got in 20 years? I agree.

Hootie
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
You mean the people who are giving Pioli as much heat in one off season as Carl Peterson got in 20 years? I agree.

Exactly.

All I've heard since I joined this board is...GET RID OF CARL!

Well it happened.

And then Clark went out and signed the creme de la creme of NFL GM's...

and what changes?

NOTHING.

These guys are just unhappy with their lives and they take it out on this board. Plain and simple.

LaChapelle
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Pats dump Greg Lewis

Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2009 7:10 PM ET
In March, the Pats swung a deal for Eagles receiver Greg Lewis.

In September, the Pats dumped him.

According to Adam Caplan of Scout.com, the Patriots have released Lewis, who caught three passes for 58 yards during the preseason.

A vested veteran, Lewis becomes an unrestricted free agent. His best season came in 2005, when he started 16 games (thanks in large part to the giant stick in T.O.'s butt), catching 48 passes for 561 yards.

Because Lewis made the cut on Saturday, our first guess was that Lewis had declined to take a pay cut. According to NFLPA records, however, his base salary was only $650,000. Unless he was due other compensation that he refused to reduce or abandon (such as a roster bonus), Lewis simply was holding the last spot on the roster as of today.

And it makes us wonder whether the Pats made the move in order to clear a place for defensive lineman Richard Seymour, whose trade to the Raiders looks to be tenuous at best, regardless of what anyone is saying.

UPDATE: The Patriots have announced the move, and they filled the roster spot with defensive back Bret Lockett, who was claimed on waivers from the Browns.

bevischief
09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
The scouts are making the rounds of the local super markets looking for the next...

Easy 6
09-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Exactly.

Well it happened.

and what changes?

NOTHING.

These guys are just unhappy with their lives and they take it out on this board. Plain and simple.

aaannd...its a wrap.

RedThat
09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
It's the same ****ing people...

Now they are upset because our offensive line is shit...

The new regime hasn't had a regular season game and it's the same ol' bullshit...

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WHY IS CARL PETERSON STILL GM!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, PIOLI IS ARROGANT!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WE MESSED UP OUR 5TH AND 6TH ROUND PICKS!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WE DON'T DRAFT BPA!"

"I HATE THIS TEAM, WE NEEDED OL AND WE DRAFTED BPA INSTEAD!"

Some ppl just aren't happy Baby Got Grbac.

tk13
09-07-2009, 06:39 PM

The main thing I'd disagree with here is the DE in a 3-4 thing... even though they aren't playing 3-4 anymore. The Pats had three first round picks starting on the D-line... Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork. That goes against some conventional thinking I think... but what Pioli did with Jackson is not much different than what the Pats did. All three of those guys weren't #32 picks either, they were in the upper to mid-first round. They would try and put smart linebackers in front of 1st round talent in the front three.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Exactly.

Well it happened.

and what changes?

NOTHING.

Are you Fing kidding me?

I torched Peterson every chance I got.

I'll hold Pioli to the same standard.

May want to hold of projecting there, son. I have no problems at all with how my life's turned out.

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Are you Fing kidding me?

I torched Peterson every chance I got.

I'll hold Pioli to the same standard.

May want to hold of projecting there, son. I have no problems at all with how my life's turned out.

With the exception of chiefzilla, I think by 2004 everybody wanted Carl and the entire house cleaned.

As for Hootie's life projection: It's hilarious to listen to a guy who walks through life in a drunken frat boi stupor think that others aren't happy or successful

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, Seymore had NOTHING to do with winning those rings.

PLEASE!!!

Thing is, Seymore is over the fuqing hill. BB knows it, and RAPED the Raiders.

You're smarter than this.

I never said Seymore had nothing to do with it, but I also don't think he's a necessity by any means. The Pats are gearing up for a SB run themselves and they just dumped him.

Having an elite 5 technique is a luxury, similar to having the greatest pass recieving TE of all time. It's simply not necessary to fielding a championship club.

Seymore may be closing in on his twilight, but he's also very very good right now. If NE was in our spot and dealt him, I'd see where you're coming from. However, NE is absolutely in a position to win the SB today...and they traded the man while he's still in his prime. In 2 years he won't be, but right now he is. If they thought he was essential to winning a SB, there's no way they'd have dealt him at the peak of the Moss/Brady pairing.

Had Peterson hired Haley, Pendergast and Gibbs, then given us this 53 man, the Planet would have shit itself and I simply don't see any way to argue otherwise.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 07:34 PM
With the exception of chiefzilla, I think by 2004 everybody wanted Carl and the entire house cleaned.

As for Hootie's life projection: It's hilarious to listen to a guy who walks through life in a drunken frat boi stupor think that others aren't happy or successful

Wait....Baby Got Grbac is Hootie? I gotta do a better job keeping up on my dupes.

JFC.

Whatever, dipshit. Go back to raping drunk girls, I'm not terribly interested in the armchair psycho-babble of a confessed felon.

Micjones
09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
There are still several players available the Chiefs can sign and upgrade this team with...

WR:
Matt Jones, Ronald Curry, David Tyree

TE:
Alex Smith, Leonard Pope

G:
Kynan Forney

DT:
Simon Fraser, Shaun Smith

KR/PR,
J.J. Arrington, Justin Miller

Chiefnj2
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
There are still several players available the Chiefs can sign and upgrade this team with...

WR:
Matt Jones, Ronald Curry, David Tyree

TE:
Alex Smith, Leonard Pope

G:
Kynan Forney

DT:
Simon Fraser, Shaun Smith

KR/PR,
J.J. Arrington, Justin Miller

They can also grab any practice squad player, put him on the 53 and get rid of Thigpen.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
They can also grab any practice squad player, put him on the 53 and get rid of Thigpen.

SING THAT SONG!

Chiefnj2
09-07-2009, 08:18 PM
SING THAT SONG!

I'll sing the unpopular song called - grab Alex Boone from San Fran's practice squad.

boogblaster
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
The ship is just about to sail .. munity isn't needed yet .. wait a couple years then maybe some should walk the plank ...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll sing the unpopular song called - grab Alex Boone from San Fran's practice squad.

Maybe so, but the "B"-side( banishment of Frodo from the roster )is still a hit with potential to shoot up the charts LIKE A BULLET, BABY!!!

Dave Lane
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Is "tried and failed" really that much different than "didn't try"?

Yes as a matter of fact it is...

Trying and failing is honorable and not trying is not honorable

acesn8s
09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Ummm...we haven't played one regular season game yet. Why not hold up on the Pioli hate until we see some results.How many QBs need to get hurt before I can criticize him?

acesn8s
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
No, but is it too much to ask to fix the dam offensive line? It's not like everybody in the entire free world hasn't known is was a problem for years.FYP

TRR
09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
The problem with signing vets as others have mentioned, is that if they are on your roster week 1, the contract for that specific vet is guaranteed. I think you will see a lot of teams pick up FA vets after week 1 because of the guaranteed contract if picked up before.

I think the Chiefs will/should add a guy like Leonard Pope. He is a very good blocker, and is a better red zone threat than Sean Ryan.

raybec 4
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
The problem with signing vets as others have mentioned, is that if they are on your roster week 1, the contract for that specific vet is guaranteed. I think you will see a lot of teams pick up FA vets after week 1 because of the guaranteed contract if picked up before.

I think the Chiefs will/should add a guy like Leonard Pope. He is a very good blocker, and is a better red zone threat than Sean Ryan.

You'd think Haley has all the Pope insight he needs to make a good decision. I don't think he'll last too long after next Monday. Jason Dunn part II

DJ's left nut
09-07-2009, 09:51 PM

The team has more cap space than it knows what to do with, I don't really care about a guaranteed contract here. Much like the Brown risk, these aren't the kind of contracts that are going to make a difference in your ticket prices so it's just money out of Clark's pocket.

Well who gives a rip?

Go get some damn talent.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
You know the Patriots weren't very talented when they won all those Super Bowls. They are way talented now and haven't won one. Like Pioli said, its the right 53 not the best 53.

On Cassel as our future QB:

<!-- message --> The one person who picked Cassel needs to drive to every single one of our houses so we can all bitch slap you for being such a fucking idiot.

acesn8s
09-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Exactly.

Well it happened.

and what changes?

NOTHING.

These guys are just unhappy with their lives and they take it out on this board. Plain and simple.No. I am unhappy with the OL...still.

TRR
09-07-2009, 10:03 PM
The team has more cap space than it knows what to do with, I don't really care about a guaranteed contract here. Much like the Brown risk, these aren't the kind of contracts that are going to make a difference in your ticket prices so it's just money out of Clark's pocket.

Well who gives a rip?

Go get some damn talent.

I agree with you....however it seems that nearly every NFL is straying away from vets for the time being. In this economic time, it seems that teams are tending to wait on a FA vet for one week instead of signing them.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Lelie brought back and Pope signed.

carlos3652
09-07-2009, 10:12 PM

the fact that he had a run in with the police might have something to do with the fact he isnt here... i also like this kid @ RT...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
the fact that he had a run in with the police might have something to do with the fact he isnt here... i also like this kid @ RT...

Or the fact that he's an alcoholic.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
God DAMNIT PEOPLE; we're trying to get the number 4 circus-act off of this fucking roster; WORK WITH ME HERE!!!!

:cuss::D

carlos3652
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Or the fact that he's an alcoholic.

That isnt and shouldnt be a problem... see Jared Allen... :p

Micjones
09-08-2009, 03:49 AM

Well who gives a rip?

Go get some damn talent.

Agreed. The impact that a signing could have at this point, on the cap, is negligible.
Let's shore up this roster a bit.

booger
09-08-2009, 05:04 AM
They are back to regular season mode now. Which means players off on tues except for injury treatments,etc. Asst coaches are in game plan mode and the HC has the tuesday PC discussing in this case the ravens. Also Tuesdays are workout days for guys not on teams for the personel staff and coaches to evaluate if anyone they workout can upgrade the roster.

I think they want to see some competition with the new guys on the oline, Ndukwe, Alleman, O'Calloghan. I think they are hoping Goff picks it up when the games count which doesn't bode well for those like me wanting to see him start at RG where he did all last season for the Fins. He mentioned when he first came here it was nice they told him to only worry about RT. Lots have changed with 3 of last years T's being released with Brich still in the picture on the PS. Plus the new RT from the pats.

I think the trouble with the lack of faith in the right side of the OLine is more max protect in pass pro needed from the TE and RB's. For being the blocking TE on the roster, Sean Ryan has had some pretty bad whiffs in pass pro himself. And while the effort is there in pass pro with all the backs, there is still confusion from the whole group(OL and RB and TE) on who to pick up on blitzes. That leaves Bowe and Bradley in those situations which leaves alot to be desired unless Bradley can step it up and stay healthy. He has shown some physical play in run blocking which is encouraging.

Engram looks like he is just a dump off guy that naturally has lost a step at his age. He's in the same boat as Goff who they hope will be the player he once was which is anyone's guess in both cases.

Cottam could be an option split out as a big target but he had a poor camp at least in the games. Worriesome as well is the fears of him becoming a run blocker as Haley said early on wondering if with his height he can get his butt down and drive block.

It looks like G Forney from SD is on his way for a physical and probable to sign with J'ville. NYG's worked out TE's Pope and Alex Smith. From all the reports i've seen Pope fell out of favor for the same reason as Cottam is struggling with. He's 6'8 and has trouble blocking. Obviously Haley should know what he could or couldn't get out of him. Alex smith seems to be more of a recieving threat as well, not sure how good of a blocker he is. O'Connell to me is more of a motion te or Hback/FB. I wouldn't be suprised to see them put him on IR with his lingering leg issues holding him out of a PS game or two and plenty of camp time. Maybe not a long term inj like an ACL but i think they would do the same they did with Colin Brown and use it as a way of a redshirt year.

I wonder about the run game as well with Cox at FB with the problems at TE, the WR's just getting up to speed with what they expect in the run blocking phase. Cox is to damn slow as a recieving threat and a special teams contributor. His only use is a lead blocker and i think he isn't too great at that either. Waste of a roster spot IMO. Maybe i'm being to harsh on him. Though that is another area i wouldn't be suprised to see them work some guys out.

David Tyree has drawn interest from us Balt and STL from reports. He isn't a big time threat on offense but could replace copper who i think is just around because he has been with Haley before and is an example of what they keep preaching on about doing things their way on route running, blocking, special teams, etc. One thing i notice about camp was guys like Bradley, Jamaal Charles, and Lawrence all covering kicks. Under herm i didn't see guys like that out there for fear of them getting hurt or just the fact they didn't do it in college or their previous teams.

Along with a spot opening at QB as soon as Cassel is healthy i think they could add another OT, maybe bumping up Richardson. 3rd TE if they find a replacement, maybe even taking Cottams job as they might not be patient if they don't see results much longer. Obviously WR and that could involve a guy who also is a return which could effect Savage's spot. I'm a bit concerned at RB too. None of them have consistantly shown any vision imo but have picked it up a bit. While Battle is a good coverage guy on teams, he tries too much to run over guys instead of being patient and using his speed. Charles i have high hopes for but isn't a consistant inside runner. And who knows what ur gonna get with LJ.

The thing to watch this week is practice time for DJ and Page. It would be a shock to see one or both if inactive unless injured which doesn't appear to be the case. If Demo Williams starts for DJ i imagine he gets stuck on special teams and rotates as a pass rusher/blitzer on passing downs. I think his trouble is recognizing the play action, slow to react to it, and in general being out of place in pass coverage. Plus the overall consistancy which has been his downfall since his rookie year. I could see Page playing some on passing downs as well. Not sure what happened with him the last week of the PS.

Also a good thing of note is that some of the guys that went unclaimed that we all talked about can be signed off other teams practice squads. Usually the team they are one their PS will cut someone if they want to bump them up to the active roster which puts another player on waivers or the FA market. So we at least know we can go try to sign a OT Merideth(PS Packers) or OG like Roy Shuening(ps Raiders) or whoever once they determine they need to look more outside of the guys who went to camp.

That's how we got guys like Wallace Gilberry from the Giants PS and Studebaker from the Eagles PS. A side note on Studebaker was he played LB for the eagles after being a college DE and a DE hear last year so that helped his transition this year to 34 OLB.

But no i don't think they are lying when they say they will do anything to improve or go out and get anyone. I think right now they are worried about timing and just getting ready for the opener for what they have and also adjusting to the offensive staff and Haley handling his time. On a side note to that in the STL game it looked like ASST. GM Joel Collier and Haley were having a serious, not heated or anything, discussion in the pregame warmups and Collier was dressed not in a suit but like the rest of the coaches. I'd bet he is in the booth assisting Haley with OC duties from the coaching box. So while he is officially still part of the front office he is IMO both a coach and personel guy for the time being and probably this season.

booger
09-08-2009, 05:26 AM
The Jags roster is at 52. They are signing Russel the S they got cut from Seattle so they would have to cut someone if they also sign G Forney.

They could cut anyone at any position but if they cut an OL, Dennis Norman is the only backup that has played much center so possibly G/T Maurice Williams. 30 and durable asside from missing all of last season with a bicep tear. That would make sense if they are cutting cost like they did with Pashos but will have to wait and see.

the Talking Can
09-08-2009, 06:14 AM

from the sounds of some his behavior i wonder if the guy is undiagnosed schizo or something...