PDA

View Full Version : Football Bradford worse than expected

orange
09-07-2009, 02:17 PM
OU 1-2 weeks away from timetable for Bradford's return
Posted by John Taylor on September 7, 2009 1:37 PM ET

Not only is it unclear as to when Sam Bradford can return from his shoulder injury, Oklahoma is still a week or two away from even setting a timetable for the quarterback's return.

And that's not even the worst news for the Sooners.

According to Sooner head coach Bob Stoops, Bradford is suffering from a Grade 2 or Grade 3 sprain of the AC joint in his throwing shoulder, not the minor Grade 1 sprain the program was hoping for.

Based on an article appearing on Tulsa World's website yesterday morning, that could potentially be season-crushing news for the Sooners -- assuming the words "Grade" and "Type" mean the same thing. (Is there a doctor in the house?)

Athletes can usually return to sports from the most minor form of the injury -- known as Type I -- in 1-2 weeks, according to emedicine.com, a Web site powered by WebMD. It's unclear if a quarterback with an injured throwing shoulder could return in that time frame.

Type II cases are more severe and can require the shoulder to be immobilized for up to a month, according to the Web site. After that, an athlete would be forbidden from heavy lifting for 6-8 more weeks.

Type III cases are even more severe and can require surgery.

In other words, if the initial diagnosis of a Grade/Type 2/II or 3/III sprain is confirmed, Oklahoma will be without the services of the reigning Heisman winner for a very long time.

Even Stoops seems fully aware that Bradford could indeed be sidelined for an extended period of time.

"A lot of it depends on how he heals and how he feels as he's healing here through the week," Stoops said. "In the end, it's going to be a while before we know what the plan will be."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/ou-1-2-weeks-away-from-timetable-for-bradfords-return/

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
He'll be out 4 to 6 weeks

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Those surgeries are painful and for the most severe types the surgery is a screw that is driven into the AC joint. I don't have any clue how severe Bradford's injury may be. But him being lost for the season would not surprise me one bit.

Skip Towne
09-07-2009, 02:24 PM
The Tulsa TVnews said it is possibly season ending and could be enough for his insurance policy to kick in.

acesn8s
09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I heard 2-4 weeks after the injury happened. I haven't heard anything that disputes that claim.

OnTheWarpath15
09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/k98heu.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I should clarify that the surgery I'm talking about is for chronic seperation and usually not done on folks like Bradford.

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I heard 2-4 weeks after the injury happened. I haven't heard anything that disputes that claim.

that's a very optimistic estimate an AC type 2 sprain is about 4 to 6 weeks at worse 6 to 8.

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:28 PM
that's a very optimistic estimate an AC type 2 sprain is about 4 to 6 weeks at worse 6 to 8.

If he misses that much time I'd guess they'd shut him down for the year.

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
If he misses that much time I'd guess they'd shut him down for the year.

Medical redshirt?

sooner season is over, but hey, at least they get to keep Bradford next year now. :)

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Medical redshirt?

sooner season is over, but hey, at least they get to keep Bradford next year now. :)

Krab,

When they lost the QB a few years back (took money from a car co), the team moved Paul Thompson from back to QB from WR and still won the Big XII. Stoops has a pretty good track record of scrambling in this manner.

And if I'm Bradford, I'd protect that arm. As I understand it the guy could be a great golfer. If he can't continue his football career, then I'd do everything I could to protect that shoulder.

But I'm 100% speculating.

EDIT- Bomar. Rhett Bomar was the cash QB.

Reaper16
09-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Medical redshirt?

They already could.

Skip Towne
09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Bradford is a good golfer but not pro quality. At least not yet. The US Amateur was held in Tulsa this year and he wasn't in it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Texas V Missouri for the gusto. Interesting.

gblowfish
09-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Since when did grades mater at OU?

KCFalcon59
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/k98heu.jpg

LMAO

the Talking Can
09-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Those surgeries are painful and for the most severe types the surgery is a screw that is driven into the AC joint. I don't have any clue how severe Bradford's injury may be. But him being lost for the season would not surprise me one bit.

what are the chances of someone maintaining pro level skill with a screw in their ac joint?

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2009, 06:05 PM
what are the chances of someone maintaining pro level skill with a screw in their ac joint?

I'm not real sure, Can. I've only seen it done on chronic AC joints that constantly "pop". And I don't think Bradford's injury would require that kind of invasiveness.To further clarify, I got way ahead of myself with that statement.

It certainly isn't out of the ralm of possibility that Bradford is done for the year. He couldvheal and play again this year and take another sack and "pop" reinjure. Then you have a higher grade separation and the possibility that he's Chad Pennington redux.

the Talking Can
09-07-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm not real sure, Can. I've only seen it done on chronic AC joints that constantly "pop". And I don't think Bradford's injury would require that kind of invasiveness.To further clarify, I got way ahead of myself with that statement.

It certainly isn't out of the ralm of possibility that Bradford is done for the year. He couldvheal and play again this year and take another sack and "pop" reinjure. Then you have a higher grade separation and the possibility that he's Chad Pennington redux.

thanks

SAUTO
09-07-2009, 06:11 PM
stoops saying now 2-4 weeks no sugery

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2009, 06:29 PM
stoops saying now 2-4 weeks no sugery

then he's FOS, because a 2nd degree AC sprain takes longer than that to fully heal.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-07-2009, 06:31 PM
KU WINS THE WHOLE BIG 12 BECAUSE OF THIS!!!

:)

Coach
09-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Nice try. They still gotta go through either Texas or Oklahoma St.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Nice try. They still gotta go through either Texas or Oklahoma St.

And I'll be damned if we're just going to hand the North over as well.

Lex Luthors
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM

You need to start worrying about Blaine Gabbert.

SAUTO
09-07-2009, 06:37 PM
then he's FOS, because a 2nd degree AC sprain takes longer than that to fully heal.

i know your dads a doctor so i'm not doubting you on that, just saw on espnews what i posted. it was under "breaking news" and didnt mention what degree it is now

POND_OF_RED
09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't really think it matters. They have great offensive talent all around. The main question mark they had was that O-line. Everyone expected them to just reload it but watching the game Saturday they definitely lost a lot. If the front 5 can't get in a groove there is no way they touch the offensive production they had last season.

DJJasonp
09-07-2009, 07:50 PM
ESPN is saying level 2 or 3 sprain....for what it's worth.

KcMizzou
09-07-2009, 07:51 PM

:)Better worry about winning the North first.

KcMizzou
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
And I'll be damned if we're just going to hand the North over as well.Yeah, this.

DeezNutz
09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
213 lbs.

Surprise, surprise.

Skip Towne
09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Doesn't matter much. They beat MU last year with their 3rd string RB.

DeezNutz
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Doesn't matter much. They beat MU last year with their 3rd string RB.

OU's line, usually only matched by TX in the Big XII, will need to look vastly improved for them to have a chance to do anything this year.

Plus, for the first time in a long time, MU has the most gifted QB in the league. Kid is raw, but his intangibles are unmatched, and he's clearly the best pro prospect of the bunch, even coming from the spread.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 08:00 PM
OU's line, usually only matched by TX in the Big XII, will need to look vastly improved for them to have a chance to do anything this year.

Plus, for the first time in a long time, MU has the most gifted QB in the league. Kid is raw, but his intangibles are unmatched, and he's clearly the best pro prospect of the bunch, even coming from the spread.

Sing that song!

KcMizzou
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice try. They still gotta go through either Texas or Oklahoma St.If I had to root for a South division team this year, it'd be OSU. They're a tough, gutty team. (And I'm sick to death of OU and Texas)

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
If I had to root for a South division team this year, it'd be OSU. They're a tough, gutty team. (And I'm sick to death of OU and Texas)

This and a side of rice.

cdcox
09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I had an AC sprain in college and couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder for six weeks. Extremely painful.

TEX
09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh well - shit happens...;)

DeezNutz
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I had an AC sprain in college and couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder for a six weeks. Extremely painful.

Damn pron.

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2009, 09:01 PM
ESPN is saying level 2 or 3 sprain....for what it's worth.

He'll be out for 6 to 8 then

Coach
09-07-2009, 09:01 PM
If I had to root for a South division team this year, it'd be OSU. They're a tough, gutty team. (And I'm sick to death of OU and Texas)

I think they are more than capable of getting the job done. I mean, they did do a good job against a Georgia team, minus Stafford and Moreno.

I think the addition of Bill Young on that staff will do wonders for Oklahoma State.

Remind yourselves, this was the same Bill Young that was the defensive coordinator when Kansas went to the Orange Bowl.

Skip Towne
09-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I think they are more than capable of getting the job done. I mean, they did do a good job against a Georgia team, minus Stafford and Moreno.

I think the addition of Bill Young on that staff will do wonders for Oklahoma State.

Remind yourselves, this was the same Bill Young that was the defensive coordinator when Kansas went to the Orange Bowl.

Yeah, Young was a big loss for us but don't discount the 300 million Boone Pickens gave OSU. They will be tough for a long time.