PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting quotes from Flowers and Tank

Hammock Parties
09-07-2009, 05:26 PM
They're positive!

http://kan.scout.com/2/896456.html

The regular season is upon us. From here on out, the touchdowns count and the best players will play the entire game. The Chiefs have the distinct displeasure of traveling to Baltimore for the first game of the Scott Pioli/Todd Haley era, to face the perennially tough Ravens’ defense.

For a team that lost its starting quarterback and right tackle in the last week, the task of defeating the Ravens on their home turf seems even tougher.

While Damion McIntosh (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307539) will undoubtedly not be suiting up for the Chiefs Sunday, it’s still possible quarterback Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794) will. He practiced Monday with a brace and sleeve on his left knee, participating fully in drills the media was allowed to watch. In what is becoming true Chiefs’ fashion, Haley managed to address Cassel’s situation without revealing much.

“I think as the week goes on, we’ll know a little bit more,” he said. “We’ll know a little bit more with Matt for sure. It was good that he was out there. He was able to get through some things. I think it was positive that he was on the field, though.”

Haley added that how Cassel’s knee reacts to the work it receives at practice will factor into his ability to play this weekend.

“I think yeah, anytime there’s something wrong, how they respond to some work (is important),” he said. “It’s good this is a long week. We got the extra day, and I think that’ll help with anybody that’s nicked up.”

It’s still unclear who will be starting at right tackle for the Chiefs in Baltimore. Ike Ndukwe would seem to have the inside track, given that he’s been with the team a full two weeks. The only other right tackle on the roster is Ryan O’Callaghan, who is still trying to gain his bearings, though it may help having his former teammates in the same locker room - Cassel, Matt Guttierrez and Mike Vrabel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307561).

“Knowing guys, being familiar with some guys kind of helps you out, to get to know some of the other guys on the team,” said O’Callaghan. “Just ways of meeting people and the city itself, it is comforting, having some of those guys around. Once again, I still haven’t had any time to talk to any of them.”

Though O’Callaghan may receive leeway for arriving to the party later than everyone else, he knows that with KC’s lack of depth at the tackle position, he’ll have to contribute early.

“That’s why they brought me here,” he said. “That’s why I’m here. If I’m not contributing, then why have me? That’s kind of how I look at it, but step one is learning the plays. I can’t do anything until I know what I have to do.”

With such a large part of the offense in flux - uncertainty at quarterback and right tackle, Haley just a week into installing his offensive tweaks - there will be a lot riding on Kansas City’s defense. Luckily, they’ve played well this preseason, and Brandon Flowers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307445) and Jarrad Page (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307542) were back practicing Monday after suffering some slight injuries.

“I’m encouraged defensively overall,” said Haley. “At least coming out of the preseason, I think that a lot of guys were asked to do some different things they’re not used to doing. I think most of those guys responded. We’ve had other guys step in that look like they’re going to help us, so as I said after the game the other night, I’m encouraged with the defense. Now, it’s just going to be a matter of continuing to get better and you know, being able to do the things that give you a chance to win. Our defense is going to have play good football. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.”

Going toe-to-toe with a defensive powerhouse like the Ravens could serve as a motivating factor for the Chiefs. Flowers praised their defense’s ability to create turnovers Monday and felt perhaps Kansas City could attempt to mirror it.

“We’ve been making great, great improvements during this preseason,” he said. “We’ve just got to try to feed on the energy they’re going to bring with their defense. We’ve just got to try to match it with our defensive intensity.”

Nose tackle Tank Tyler, who was elevated to a starting position Monday, is also looking forward to the challenge.

“It’s exciting,” he said. “We want to definitely go out there and definitely outplay their defense. We all feel that if we outplay their defense, we have a good chance of winning the football game.”

<script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

WildTurkey
09-07-2009, 05:34 PM
how dare they say things that are positive, don't they know that we're doomed

keg in kc
09-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Fucking Pioli.

kcxiv
09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Good to see Tank starting. I hope he can turn into a force. We all know the dude is as strong as an ox.

We more then likely will get smoked unless Flacco just has the start of a Sophmore slump. lol

loochy
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Good to see Tank starting. I hope he can turn into a force. We all know the dude is as strong as an ox.

We more then likely will get smoked unless Flacco just has the start of a Sophmore slump. lol

Yeah, but even if the Ravens score 0 offensive points we will lose. We will score 0 offensive points as well, but their defense will put 21 on the board.

Easy 6
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
If 'TANK' is going to start...he'd better strap it up real tight, sink his bucket & finally display some of that storied, nigh...legendary STrenff & Bad Intentions.

kcxiv
09-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but even if the Ravens score 0 offensive points we will lose. We will score 0 offensive points as well, but their defense will put 21 on the board.

lol well, maybe we can get a pix 6 or 2 as well. haha. We certainly have good cornerbacks.

CaliforniaChief
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
The defense will have to be the early identity for this team. I'm VERY excited to watch them in action for the entire game on Sunday.

TEX
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
****ing Pioli.

This.

Coach
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Tank better hope that he doesn't find himself getting destroyed at the POA.

wild1
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think anyone feels it's realistic for this team to beat a team that played in the AFC Championship last year.

Just do what you say, Tank. Go out there, play with intensity.

This is going to be a long process, to improve this team. Just show us that the process has begun.

CaliforniaChief
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I like the attitude. We need to stop acting like a bunch of weak girls.

MMXcalibur
09-08-2009, 07:25 AM
We're doooooooooomed!!!!!!!.....but goddamn am I excited to see us get our ass whipped this Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great Expectations
09-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Flacco only threw for 185 ypg last year, if we can slow down their running game and not turn the ball over we should be in the game in the 4th 1/4. Take the Chiefs vs. that ridiculous point spread w/ the under.