PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: A Flowers Is Blooming … Wednesday Cup O’Chiefs

C-Mac
09-09-2009, 05:08 AM
A Flowers Is Blooming … Wednesday Cup O’Chiefs (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/a-flowers-is-blooming-%E2%80%A6-wednesday-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html#more-10363)
September 9, 2009 - Bob Gretz

When he’s healthy – and Brandon Flowers says right now his injured left shoulder is fine – he’s the best player on the Chiefs defense.

Some would consider that damning Flowers with faint praise, given the performance last year of the defense and the fact the 2009 season has not yet begun.

But all that happened because of the injured shoulder he suffered on August 29th against Seattle is a speed bump on what had been a top-notch pre-season for the second year cornerback from Virginia Tech. Most days in River Falls and then back in Kansas City, Flowers displayed the coverage skills and athletic ability that made him a second-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.

He also showed something more. Sometime between the end of the disappointing ‘08 season and the start of this ‘09 season, Flowers got faster. He added another gear. He displayed that a few weeks ago when rookie WR Quinten Lawrence ran a post pattern against Flowers. Lawrence is a raw, inconsistent receiver, but he has one trait that he always shows and that’s his speed.

When he shifted into gear and broke for the middle of the field, Flowers was running with him step-for-step. When Lawrence went a little faster, that’s when Flowers showed his fifth gear, sticking with him and reaching up and poking away the pass that was right on the money.

“I always thought I could run, but that’s just me being a corner,” Flowers said around a big smile. “Some guys like Brandon Carr told me a couple weeks ago that I was faster this year. I don’t know what the numbers would be, but I do feel faster. It really gives me more confidence.

“There were some changes I made in my workouts and stuff after last season and I guess that helped.”

Everybody with the Chiefs saw their conditioning program change when Todd Haley took over the team. But Flowers also changed the things he was doing away from the team, including working drills to improve his quickness and reaction time. He got himself in better condition.

“I learned last year that late in the season, when you get tired, that’s when you start making mistakes,” said Flowers. “You can’t get tired out there if you are on the corner. You’ve got to go out and play every snap and if they make you run, you have to run. You can’t be tired.”

It led to a very good camp and pre-season. The highlight was the 28-yard pick-six he grabbed off Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck. It was one of dozens of times he got his hands on the ball during practices and the first three games.

“I’m just trying to lift my game,” said Flowers. “I don’t want to settle for what went down last year. I want to get better, I want to contribute more. I always figured you were gettin’ better or you were gettin’ worse. I don’t plan on getting worse.

“Since I was younger, I always had to work harder than everybody else.”

In his rookie season, Flowers played 14 of 16 games, missing two games in November with a hamstring strain. He had 78 tackles and two interceptions, both against Brett Favre and the New York Jets. One of those was a 91-yard pick-six where he displayed his wheels.

That was the highlight of his year. “I really enjoyed that moment,” he said.

And his low point? “It was not getting any wins,” Flowers said. “We worked so hard, we put so much into it and to not come away with the wins.”

Flowers has been a corner his entire football life, going back to pee-wee football. After a year in the league, he’s anxious for the games to be real and the challenges to be thrown at him again.

“You are out there on an island and people can see you lose a game, and they can see you win a game,” said Flowers. “I enjoy that pressure.”

SIGNINGS, TRADES, INJURIES & MOVEMENT AROUND THE LEAGUE

* BILLS – released OT Langston Walker; signed OT Kirk Chambers.
* DOLPHINS – released TE Dave Drew.
* EAGLES – signed TE Alex Smith; released TE Tony Curtis.
* JAGUARS – signed S Brian Russell and G Kynan Forney; released OL Dennis Norman.
* JETS – signed LB Ryan Fowler; released FB Jason Davis.
* STEELERS – ILB Lawrence Timmons looks like he’ll miss Thursday night’s opener against Tennessee with a high ankle sprain. Former Chiefs LB Keyaron Fox will replace him in the starting lineup.

chiefs1111
09-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Keyaron Fox still with the Steelers,I had no idea

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Hell yes. The Chiefs have at least one good player.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-09-2009, 06:47 AM
It seems like any LB can play in that Steeler Defense, so I wouldn't be surprised if Fox does well.

ForeverChiefs58
09-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah but can he play WR and on the right side of the OL? lol ha ha