PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Warner insinuates that Cards miss Haley's style...

DaWolf
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Should the Cardinals be worried? (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/should-the-cardinals-be-worried/)
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 9, 2009 2:05 PM ET
We tend not to take the preseason so seriously, especially a team's record in it.

Some notable Cardinals leaders don't disagree. In comments to XTRA 910 in Phoenix (via ESPN), safety Adrian Wilson said the team was "lethargic throughout the preseason."

"The excitement wasn't there, for whatever reason," Wilson continued. "I can't put my finger on it. But whatever it took to make that run in the playoffs that we had last year, we didn't have that. I think a lot of it comes from people still talking about what we did last year.

"Last year is last year and it's kind of a dead issue now. We shouldn't have to go back and try to relive what we did last year. It's a new year and a new team. We have to somehow find a way to rekindle whatever we had."

After covering the Cardinals for one whole week at the Super Bowl, it became obvious that Wilson is a man that speaks the truth. And while he's not always a vocal leader for the Cardinals, it's unlikely that anyone's words on the defense carry more weight.

If Wilson says the disease of "last year" is a problem, who are we to disagree?

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt has downplayed any concern, but Kurt Warner also bemoaned the team's lackluster preseason in a radio interview. He seemed to hint the team could use a little butt-kicking, like the one former offensive coordinator Todd Haley used to administer.

"I am not going to put [our struggles] all on Todd but he was very much a vocal, in-your-face, challenging type of coach that would really push guys," Warner said. "The one thing that I appreciated about Todd is that he pushed us to be great and he wasn't worried about being our best friend. He just wanted us to respect him for making us better players."

The great part about the preseason is that it can be erased in a couple successful drives against San Francisco Sunday. But if Arizona's troubles linger, especially on offense, questions will mount about a Super Bowl hangover.

The Cardinals were successful at turning their emotional switch back "on" at the start of the playoffs last year. It sounds like they are counting on doing the same thing again this year after a preseason that lacked electricity.

teedubya
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Are they sure it wasn't Pendergast's tenacity and awesome defense? haha hah

KyleProBoller
09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah I'm sure they'll be lost without out him. It was clearly Haley that made that team and not Warner or his two elite WR's. What a laugh.

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
"The one thing that I appreciated about Todd is that he pushed us to be great and he wasn't worried about being our best friend. He just wanted us to respect him for making us better players."I LOVE this statement. Its COMPLETELY anti-Herm.

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah I'm sure they'll be lost without out him. It was clearly Haley that made that team and not Warner or his two elite WR's. What a laugh.Tard. Are Warner, Bolden, and Fitzgerald still playing in AZ?

Bowser
09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah I'm sure they'll be lost without out him. It was clearly Haley that made that team and not Warner or his two elite WR's. What a laugh.

Yeah, really. What does Warner know. It's not like he's an accomplished QB that has a good understanding of motivates teams or anything.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I LOVE this statement. Its COMPLETELY anti-Herm.

Amen.

beach tribe
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I love this guy.

MMXcalibur
09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Hell, I like Todd Haley, he can come over to my house and fuck my sister!

DaWolf
09-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Hmm, let's see.

Warner with Fitzgerlad, and Boldin in Arizona for two years before Haley:
2005-07: 4090 yds, 17 TD, 14 INT

Warner with Fitzgerlad, and Boldin in Arizona for two years with Haley:
2007-09: 8000 yds passing, 57 TD, 31 INT

So yeah, he didn't really help out much I suppose...

CaliforniaChief
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew Adam Schefter who knew a guy who wrote an article on his blog about a guy who said that Haley is an arrogant punk who aspires to have his face on Mt. Rushmore. //KnowMo

ChiTown
09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Impossible. However, if by Haley, you actually meant McDaniels, then I agree. I've been assured by KnowNothing that Josh McDaniels is Jesus Christ with a whiteboard and whistle. Todd Haley is an also ran.

wild1
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew Adam Schefter who knew a guy who wrote an article on his blog about a guy who said that Haley is an arrogant punk who aspires to have his face on Mt. Rushmore. //KnowMo

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Josh McDaniels trying to buy Matt Cassel ice cream at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

beach tribe
09-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Hmm, let's see.

HOLY SHIT..

I didn't know THAT.

I can't wait to see what he does with Bowe, and Bradley.

Reerun_KC
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Hmm, let's see.

oops...

You cant let stats get in the way of facts DaWolf...

Fat Elvis
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Hell, I like Todd Haley, he can come over to my house and **** my sister!

Hi. My name is Todd. So, about this sister of yours....

Chief Faithful
09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Josh McDaniels trying to buy Matt Cassel ice cream at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

So you're saying McDaniels still wants Cassel?

JD10367
09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
From everything I've heard of Haley so far, even with no experience coaching an actual NFL game yet, I can say as a Patriots fan that if Belichick quit tomorrow and Haley took his place, they could do a whole hell of a lot worse.

Attitude is very important to a football team. As they say in the Mafia, "the fish rots from the head". If your coach is a useless shitbag, the players will disintegrate. I still remember the fiasco of "Pom-Pom" Pete Carroll, coming in after Bill Parcells, and at the press conference one of the Patriots players (Chris Slade, maybe) was hugging the guy and smiling, and the players were saying how nice it was gonna be to have a "player's coach" now. Yeah, that went into the shitter quickly enough. It just doesn't really work.

Think about it. How many wishy-washy coaches have succeeded? Andy Reid looks like he could be soft sometimes, and so does his twin, Mike Holmgren. How many Super Bowls have they won? One, and it took playing the Patriots and having Brett Favre and Desmond Howard to get it done. Tony Dungy? His supposed spiritualism helped him with the players, I bet, but he went to Indy as a supposed defensive genius, and won exactly ONE Super Bowl there, with Peyton F**king Manning, and his defenses usually blew. It took a running game to get him over the hump. Norv Turner? Anyone else?

Now let's look at who's won lately. Brian Billick: looks like he was kind of a hard ass. Bill Belichick: no discussion needed. Bill Cowher? Dudley Do-Right with the glass jaw doesn't look like he was cuddly to be around. Jon Gruden? Yeah, he's young, but Chucky looks like he'd skull-f**k you while laughing about it. Tom Coughlin makes Bill Belichick look like a barrel of laughs.

The Franchise
09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Hmm, let's see.

Yeah...but look at all of those INTs he threw. :D

ChiefaRoo
09-09-2009, 01:34 PM
From everything I've heard of Haley so far, even with no experience coaching an actual NFL game yet, I can say as a Patriots fan that if Belichick quit tomorrow and Haley took his place, they could do a whole hell of a lot worse.

Attitude is very important to a football team. As they say in the Mafia, "the fish rots from the head". If your coach is a useless shitbag, the players will disintegrate. I still remember the fiasco of "Pom-Pom" Pete Carroll, coming in after Bill Parcells, and at the press conference one of the Patriots players (Chris Slade, maybe) was hugging the guy and smiling, and the players were saying how nice it was gonna be to have a "player's coach" now. Yeah, that went into the shitter quickly enough. It just doesn't really work.

Think about it. How many wishy-washy coaches have succeeded? Andy Reid looks like he could be soft sometimes, and so does his twin, Mike Holmgren. How many Super Bowls have they won? One, and it took playing the Patriots and having Brett Favre and Desmond Howard to get it done. Tony Dungy? His supposed spiritualism helped him with the players, I bet, but he went to Indy as a supposed defensive genius, and won exactly ONE Super Bowl there, with Peyton F**king Manning, and his defenses usually blew. It took a running game to get him over the hump. Norv Turner? Anyone else?

Now let's look at who's won lately. Brian Billick: looks like he was kind of a hard ass. Bill Belichick: no discussion needed. Bill Cowher? Dudley Do-Right with the glass jaw doesn't look like he was cuddly to be around. Jon Gruden? Yeah, he's young, but Chucky looks like he'd skull-f**k you while laughing about it. Tom Coughlin makes Bill Belichick look like a barrel of laughs.

Good post.

PS - Pete Caroll had to run back to college after having Parcells slap him around the AFC for quite sometime as well.

RealSNR
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Warner is and idiot. He clearly doesn't know that a good coach above all else should know x's and o's, so he can make great QBs out of bad QBs [/knowshit]

Buns
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM

I would say Mike Tomlin fits the hard ass mold.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoHuge
09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I would say Mike Tomlin fits the hard ass mold.
Posted via Mobile DeviceHe does but his players really seem to love the guy. The Steelers are also winners that know nothing else but winning. They are badass personified. The Cards where perennial losers and it took a guy to really jump shit to make it go. Warner's statement is the biggest endorsement a coach could recieve from former players. He pretty much said the wind was out of their sails without Haley.

Football is alot of execution and X's and O's, but it's just as much about confidence, moxy, and a winning culture. Best example of that I can give is Hutch high school. They have what? 5 state titles in a row? It's not because they have a bunch of far superior talent to everyone they play. It's because they start teaching their kids the right way from the time they're in 2nd grade and they don't know how to fail. By the time they get to high school in their minds they are a bunch of little badasses and they know they're the baddest dudes on the block. They're focused, prepared, and know how to win. Perennial winners just seem to keep reloading with more winners. The coaches and staff are usually the catalyst behind it.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
It's real simple...

http://i30.tinypic.com/j8ehbd.gif

Hydrae
09-09-2009, 03:08 PM
The Cards lost the Super Bowl. Recent history would say they are not making the playoffs this year and may not even have a winning record.

GoHuge
09-09-2009, 03:25 PM
The Cards lost the Super Bowl. Recent history would say they are not making the playoffs this year and may not even have a winning record.Uh do you have any stats to back up this outlandish statement :)?

Easy 6
09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
He does but his players really seem to love the guy. The Steelers are also winners that know nothing else but winning. They are badass personified. The Cards where perennial losers and it took a guy to really jump shit to make it go. Warner's statement is the biggest endorsement a coach could recieve from former players. He pretty much said the wind was out of their sails without Haley.

Football is alot of execution and X's and O's, but it's just as much about confidence, moxy, and a winning culture. Best example of that I can give is Hutch high school. They have what? 5 state titles in a row? It's not because they have a bunch of far superior talent to everyone they play. It's because they start teaching their kids the right way from the time they're in 2nd grade and they don't know how to fail. By the time they get to high school in their minds they are a bunch of little badasses and they know they're the baddest dudes on the block. They're focused, prepared, and know how to win. Perennial winners just seem to keep reloading with more winners. The coaches and staff are usually the catalyst behind it.

100%

Theres a foul odor in KC, but now Haleys here with plenty of bleach & rags.

wazu
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
He does but his players really seem to love the guy. The Steelers are also winners that know nothing else but winning. They are badass personified. The Cards where perennial losers and it took a guy to really jump shit to make it go. Warner's statement is the biggest endorsement a coach could recieve from former players. He pretty much said the wind was out of their sails without Haley.

Agree wholeheartedly. Culture is so important. That being said, I think Whisenhunt is a good coach. If there is a problem of motivation without Haley, he'll find a way to address it.

JuicesFlowing
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM

That gives me warm fuzzies knowing the Dallas Cowboys are heading for failure with their marshmallow coach. (good post btw)

Tiger's Fan
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM

Hutch beat the hell out of Rockhurst last friday. I think they're nationally ranked.