PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL.com to show blacked-out games free in local markets on delayed basis

BigRedChief
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Live In-Progress Coverage of All Games Available on Both NFL Network's NFL RedZone & DirecTV's Red Zone Channel

Highlights Available Immediately After Games on NFL.com and Sprint and For Download Following Day on iTunes and Amazon.com

NFL Network's NFL Replay to Encore Four Games Each Week

NFL games that are blacked out in home team markets this season will be shown on NFL.com in their entirety on a delayed basis, the NFL announced Thursday.

The league's new NFL Game Rewind package on NFL.com will make all games available on an on-demand, subscription basis throughout the 2009 regular and postseason. However, games blacked out locally for failing to sell out 72 hours in advance will be available on NFL.com at no cost in the affected home markets.

These free "re-broadcasts" locally of blacked-out games will be available at NFL.com beginning at midnight on the day of the game and remain available for 72 hours (except during ESPN Monday Night Football telecasts).

"We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "These free re-broadcasts on NFL.com will allow our fans that can't get to a blacked-out game an opportunity to see the entire game."

Following are other ways fans can see NFL game action:
* NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV carries all Sunday afternoon games (local blackout rules apply).
* The Red Zone Channel on DirecTV and NFL Network's NFL RedZone channel -- available on other satellite, cable and telco providers -- will provide live coverage from inside the 20-yard line as it happens during all Sunday afternoon games, with no game highlights blacked out.
* NBC's Sunday Night Football game will also be streamed live on NBCSports.com and NFL.com.
* Postgame highlights of all games are available immediately after each game on NFL.com and NFL Mobile Live on Sprint. In addition, fans can download extended highlight packages the day after each game on iTunes and Amazon.com.
* NFL Network's NFL Replay will re-air the four best games of the weekend (two on Tuesday and two on Wednesday in primetime) in a fast-paced, 90-minute format with bonus NFL Films footage, wired sound from the field, and coaches' commentary.
* NFL Network's NFL Replay Highlights video-on-demand product is available a few hours after each game, featuring extended highlights of every NFL game produced with NFL Films' signature audio and cinematic elements.

<!-- includes/news/article-page-comments.jsp -->

Buck
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
These teams make SOOOOOOOOOO much money w/ the TV Contracts, I don't even know why Sellouts are necessary.

keg in kc
09-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Bet I'll be using this a few times this season.

Mojo Jojo
09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
These teams make SOOOOOOOOOO much money w/ the TV Contracts, I don't even know why Sellouts are necessary.

Because players get a cut of the gate per the CBA. First 50% goes to players and makes the cap numbers...the rest is split to the teams except for "premium seating".

BigRedChief
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Bet I'll be using this a few times this season.
sad but true.:shake:

JuicesFlowing
09-10-2009, 02:47 PM
They should offer black-out games on pay-per-view.

WhitiE
09-10-2009, 02:48 PM
how does the blackout thing work? i live in wichita do i need to worry about it?

kstater
09-10-2009, 02:50 PM

They already do. I think the teams like to call them tickets.

R&GHomer
09-10-2009, 02:54 PM

No shit. All this is just peachy, but I'm on Time Warner and they don't offer the NFL channel. Has anyone heard if they are making progress, that's just F'N stupid

Valiant
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
No shit. All this is just peachy, but I'm on Time Warner and they don't offer the NFL channel. Has anyone heard if they are making progress, that's just F'N stupid

It will never happen until the NFL lets them put it on a special extra pay tier.. Basically they want TW to pay a lot of money for it and put it on the basic tier, TW wants to make money off of it also and wants to put it on the premium tier..

DaFace
09-10-2009, 03:28 PM
how does the blackout thing work? i live in wichita do i need to worry about it?

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's something like any station broadcasting from within 75 miles of the stadium gets blacked out. So KC and Topeka would be blacked out, but that's it.

Scorp
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM

No you will be fine. If you live outside of the 75 mile radius of the stadium you shouldn't be affected.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
The NFL needs to start offering live games "ala carte" each week on NFL.com

Charge $10 -$15 bucks a game, a month, whatever... they would make a killing.

LTL
09-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Never have understood why they only let DTV do Sunday Ticket. It seems like they would make more if they let the cable companies do their own version of it then they could break it down even further, for displaced fans instead of getting all of the Ticket, let them get the games for just their teams and then like you suggested, do a ppv each week or a month as well.

DaFace
09-10-2009, 03:37 PM
No you will be fine. If you live outside of the 75 mile radius of the stadium you shouldn't be affected.

To clarify, it has to do with where the station is broadcast from rather than where a person physically lives. You could live 200 miles away, but if you get your TV feed from Kansas City, you're still screwed.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Never have understood why they only let DTV do Sunday Ticket. It seems like they would make more if they let the cable companies do their own version of it then they could break it down even further, for displaced fans instead of getting all of the Ticket, let them get the games for just their teams and then like you suggested, do a ppv each week or a month as well.

I Agree. I think they are leaving money on the table by going with only DIrect TV.

Demonpenz
09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
wierd how i can get 12 college games a day on saturday but sunday i get 4 at the most

Deberg_1990
09-10-2009, 03:46 PM
wierd how i can get 12 college games a day on saturday but sunday i get 4 at the most

Ummm....the ratio is about the same since there are about 300 college games.

Spott
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know what happens if you live in a blackout area? Do you still get to see another game if the local team is blacked out?

kstater
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Assuming the games were $10/game, the breakeven point would be 4.75 million people per week. That's a pretty high number considering the vast majority of fans of each team live in a market that shows their favorite team's game. You would have to gaurantee the NFL that 5 million people would order a game each week for them to even make the money that they currently make.

kstater
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know what happens if you live in a blackout area? Do you still get to see another game if the local team is blacked out?

Yes

Spott
09-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes

Gracias. :D

kstater
09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Assuming the games were $10/game, the breakeven point would be 4.75 million people per week. That's a pretty high number considering the vast majority of fans of each team live in a market that shows their favorite team's game. You would have to gaurantee the NFL that 5 million people would order a game each week for them to even make the money that they currently make.

Forgot they just signed an extension. It's actually a 6.25 million people/week break even.

LTL
09-10-2009, 04:15 PM

If the NFL let the cable companies like Time Warner, comcast and even the other satellite option the Dish, let them do the Sunday Ticket and then they could also do a ppv option as well, do you think they wouldn't make more? I get what you are saying, but if they opened it up to where more people outside of DTV subscribers could have access then I would think they would make more money.

I have no numbers, just throwing stuff out is all.

kstater
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
If the NFL let the cable companies like Time Warner, comcast and even the other satellite option the Dish, let them do the Sunday Ticket and then they could also do a ppv option as well, do you think they wouldn't make more? I get what you are saying, but if they opened it up to where more people outside of DTV subscribers could have access then I would think they would make more money.

I have no numbers, just throwing stuff out is all.

The value of the exclusivity is what drives their other tv contracts as well. If they opened up to to other cable companies, the current FOX/CBS(you know the 3 Billion/year contract) would essentially be worthless.

Buck
09-10-2009, 04:26 PM

I wish they did that.

ElGringo
09-10-2009, 04:40 PM
The value of the exclusivity is what drives their other tv contracts as well. If they opened up to to other cable companies, the current FOX/CBS(you know the 3 Billion/year contract) would essentially be worthless.

I disagree with this as even with Sunday Ticket, if the game is broadcast in your local market you have to tune into FOX/CBS.

JuicesFlowing
09-10-2009, 05:10 PM

I totally agree. Most people don't just go to live games because they are blacked out, anyways. Seems to me most if not all that attend games plan it out and are going regardless. So this whole "blackout will make people buy tickets" seems a bit too optimistic for the NFL.