PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The song that never ends( KC Edition )

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
(http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/10/1023953/former-kansas-city-chiefs-coach-on)http://www.arrowheadpride.com/<wbr>2009/9/10/1023953/former-<wbr>kansas-city-chiefs-coach-on (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/10/1023953/former-kansas-city-chiefs-coach-on)
Former Kansas City Chiefs Coach on Bernard Pollard
by Joel Thorman on Sep 10, 2009 11:09 AM EDT in 2009 Campaign 32 comments, 32 new

Former Kansas City Chiefs head coach, Herm Edwards, talked to the guys at 810 WHB about the departure of Bernard Pollard. While Herm didn't get into whether he agreed or disagreed with the move because, frankly, that doesn't matter at this point, he talked a little bit about what kind of player he is.

The words "in the box" came up a lot as Herm admitted Pollard wasn't a coverage guy.

It's an interesting take from a guy who knows Pollard well. You can listen to it here.

Below, I've pulled the section on Pollard from the 20+ minute interview and taken notes.

"He obviously was a very good special teams player. When we drafted Bernard, I think in the third round or something like that, we were in a safety mode. We needed some safeties. We got him and Page as young rookies and tried to bring them along.

"Bernard is a guy that can play very well in the box when he stays focused. At times he loses focus, I think. He's an emotional player. Sometimes, his emotions get the best of him and he loses his focus and that's what hurts him at times.

"He's never been the type of player you want in space. He's not a space guy but he plays better traditionally in the box. That's where he played at Purdue. Similar to a linebacker or traditional strong safety kinda guy.

"He played good on special teams. He's a very good special teams player. I think he'll get another opportunity somewhere. Sometimes, when you let a guy go, it makes him a better player down the road. And hopefully this will.

"It will make him focus more on his job and his responsibilities. Also, how you use the guy helps him too. Sometimes, you can put players in spots where they feel uncomfortable.

"That's a little bit about pro football is that every player has his strengths and you always try to play to their strengths and that helps players become successful. If not, all of a sudden he becomes vulnerable."

Should a team try moving him to linebacker?

"I don't know that. He's big, but he's not that big. He's kind of a tweener. I tihnk he can play safety if you play him in a traditional role.

"He needs to be in the box. Like 85% of the time he needs to be in the box. He needs to be a box player. That's probably where he'll probably flourish.

"Again, the thing I think that hurts Bernard at times is his focus. He's so emotionally involved in the football game he loses focus at times. And that hurts you. That's how people game plan you, there's no doubt about it. If they think they can upset you and get you emotionally thinking about things, they can attack you.

Is it harder to use a traditional strong safety in today's NFL?

"You make a good point in that teams spread you out but I think you're still going to play certain coverages where you're going to need guys in the box, whether it be in run support or pass coverage.

"In pass coverage, talking about playing the box, we're talking about playing in the flat or the hook area, nothing in the deep part of the football field. When you play zones, you need guys underneath when you play those zones. Theyr'e going to play in some form or fashion, the hook areas and the wide areas outside the numbers.

"When they play in the box, obviously they have a gap and have to control that gap. That's their gap of run responsibilities. You can still use those guys. They still work.

"Linebackers, as you know, play in the box and generally when you add that eighth element in run support that's usually the safety coming out of the secondary to get you an eight man front.

"Kinda like when we had Lynch in Tampa that's what he did. He played in the box a lot. He played halves at times in the middle of the field but for the most part he played in the box. He was a good cover guy, he could cover tight ends, which Bernard can do because he has enough speed to do that."

On Jon McGraw:

"He has a lot of potential. The thing that's always hurt Jon over his career if you go back is that he hasn't always been healthy. Very smart guy, athletic, can run and jump, has all those traits, plays the ball well. He's fearless nad not afraid to tackle.

"He's been nicked up, that's been kinda his whole career.

"When we first got him in New York he was our nickel guy. I don't know if you guys remember but when we first played the Chiefs in New York he covered Tony on third owns. We brought him down and he covered Tony on third down."

:mad:Motherfuck YOU, Herm.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, Pollard can't play in the box, either.

He can't tackle.

He can't play ANYWHERE.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, Pollard can't play in the box, either.

He can't tackle.

He can't play ANYWHERE.

Fishing for some more LJ love today, are we?

CaliforniaChief
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
2nd round, Herm. Not third. Thanks.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Fishing for some more LJ love today, are we?

Look, why do you have to constantly bring up LJ when I rip on Pollard, who has proven, irrevocably, that he sucks, and probably doesn't belong in the NFL?

WHY?

It's lame, so stop it.

Colt4540
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Pollard had a problem with always trying to knock people out instead of wrapping up.

Buehler445
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Herm has to be the dumbest fuck on the planet.

Just reading that stuttering, brain short circuiting shit makes my eyes bleed

And if Herm "knows" so much about him and claims he's good in the box, why in the name of zues' BUTTHOLE did he always play his dumbass in coverage?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Look, why do you have to constantly bring up LJ when I rip on Pollard, who has proven, irrevocably, that he sucks, and probably doesn't belong in the NFL?

WHY?

It's lame, so stop it.

You wanted the attention, and you GOT IT.
And I'm going to bring up LJ because post-contract; that fucking douchebag has done NOTHING except prove he can make a roster that is so shallow, Tyler Fucking Hobbit Thigpen still has a job and a spot on the motherfucker!

But don't worry; as rested as that effortless FUCK should be after his LAST two seasons, I'm sure he'll have a great year.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 01:38 PM
And I'm going to bring up LJ because post-contract; that fucking douchebag has done NOTHING except prove he can make a roster that is so shallow,

So? It's still garbage that you do that.

Stay on topic. Tell us why Pollard is awesome.

If he's not, then just SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Shag
09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Herm has to be the dumbest **** on the planet.

Just reading that stuttering, brain short circuiting shit makes my eyes bleed

And if Herm "knows" so much about him and claims he's good in the box, why in the name of zues' BUTTHOLE did he always play his dumbass in coverage?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the nature of the cover 2. Better question is why you would draft an "in the box" safety for a cover 2 defense...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
So? It's still garbage that you do that.

Stay on topic. Tell us why Pollard is awesome.

If he's not, then just SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Yeah, NO.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, NO.

So you CHOOSE to be an utter douche whenever Pollard is discussed from now on?

Is that it?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Is that it?

I CHOOSE to be a douche when YOU CHOOSE to be a douche.

Simple, yes?

Delano
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
So you CHOOSE to be an utter douche whenever something is discussed?

Is that it?

Well, duh.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I CHOOSE to be a douche when YOU CHOOSE to be a douche.

Simple, yes?

I'm a douche because I point out that Pollard sucks?

When in fact, it is FACT that he sucks?

Because the Chiefs CUT his worthless ass?

And NO ONE ELSE has bothered to pick him up?

When in fact, NO ONE ELSE would even give up a lousy 7th rounder for him?

At some point you have to consider the mountain of evidence against Pollard and say....HMMMMMMMMMM...maybe I should stop trying to ice skate uphill?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm a douche because I point out that Pollard sucks?

When in fact, it is FACT that he sucks?

Because the Chiefs CUT his worthless ass?

And NO ONE ELSE has bothered to pick him up?

When in fact, NO ONE ELSE would even give up a lousy 7th rounder for him?

At some point you have to consider the mountain of evidence against Pollard and say....HMMMMMMMMMM...maybe I should stop trying to ice skate uphill?

I'm not defending his suck, moron; I'm combating your utter douchebaggery on the subject.

THINK! THINK GOCHIEFS! LET IT SINK IN FOR A MOMENT!

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm not defending his suck, moron; I'm combating your utter douchebaggery on the subject.

Oh, please.

I'm a douchebag for pointing out he can't tackle?

doomy3
09-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Is that it?

RoR needs no reason to be a douche. He is a douche to the core.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh, please.

I'm a douchebag for pointing out he can't tackle?

Yes dumbass, that's exactly it. That's ALL you've done for two months.
Give me a fucking break.:rolleyes:

RoR needs no reason to be a douche. He is a douche to the core.

Here sweety, have a cookie and go watch Barney; the big kids are talking right now m'kay?

Hammock Parties
09-10-2009, 02:06 PM
OK. I give up.

doomy3
09-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes dumbass, that's exactly it. That's ALL you've done for two months.
Give me a ****ing break.:rolleyes:

Here sweety, have a cookie and go watch Barney; the big kids are talking right now m'kay?

Yeah, I'm sure everyone on the board would consider you and GoChiefs having a conversation to be one of the more mature moments on the planet.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I'm sure everyone on the board would consider you and GoChiefs having a conversation to be one of the more mature moments on the planet.

I didn't say "adults", now did I?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
OK. I give up.

There you go.:thumb: Just stop, and I'll stop. Simple.