PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Walter Football: 2010 NFL Draft 9/9 update

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
2010 NFL Mock Draft
Round 1 (http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php) Round 2 (http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_2.php) Round 3 (http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_3.php)

1)Kansas City Chiefs: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
The Chiefs invested $63 million into Matt Cassel. Whether this was a smart move or not is now irrelevant - what's done is done, and Scott Pioli is betting his Kansas City tenure on Cassel succeeding.

Unfortunately, one of Cassel's most glaring weaknesses, his tendency to take too many sacks, will be very prevalent in Kansas City because the team's offensive line is so horrendous.

Branden Albert is solid at left tackle, but Pioli didn't draft him and the Chiefs organization doesn't have that much money invested into him (about $3 million over the next four years). Pioli can afford to draft a franchise left tackle and move Albert around in an effort to give Cassel more time in the pocket.

33) Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Norwood, DE/OLB, South Carolina
The smart move here would be to add a rush linebacker to help an anemic pass rush that won't be any better in 2009 than it was in 2008. Eric Norwood opened the season with two sacks against N.C. State. He had 14.5 TFL and nine sacks in 2008.

55)Kansas City Chiefs: Evan Royster, RB, Penn State
The Chiefs should be able to cut Larry Johnson following the 2009 season. Evan Royster is a talented runner who would be a nice complement to Jamaal Charles.

65)Kansas City Chiefs: Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas
With Tony Gonzalez gone, Matt Cassel doesn't have much to work with outside of Dwayne Bowe. I've always liked Bobby Engram, but he's 36. Mark Bradley, Devard Darling? Meh.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Round 1: We've got a solution at a premier position for below market value, so why not spend more on the position that's not a problem?

JFC.

Why the fuck would we replace a 36 year old Bobby Engram with a 39 year old Jordan Shipley? The fucker should have his Ph.D. and completed his tenure track at UT by now.

JohninGpt
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm not very optimistic about this season, but dead last? Wow.

Mecca
The Walter site does not like the Chiefs and basically ripped the hell out of the entire Chiefs offseason. There was one point when they had the Chiefs taking Okung and it said something like "I'll just give them an irrational pick it'll fit Pioli" or something of that nature.

Go read their writeup on the Chiefs Ravens game this week...

'Hamas' Jenkins
The Walter site does not like the Chiefs and basically ripped the hell out of the entire Chiefs offseason. There was one point when they had the Chiefs taking Okung and it said something like "I'll just give them an irrational pick it'll fit Pioli" or something of that nature.

Their review of the Chiefs draft last year was fucking priceless.

-----------------------------

The Chiefs are switching to the 3-4, so they'll be focusing on finding personnel for their new scheme. A year ago, Scott Pioli selected Jerod Mayo at No. 10, and this is a very similar pick. Kansas City has absolutely nothing on defense, and because they have (read: think they have) a franchise quarterback and left tackle, they're going Aaron Curry.

Why Not Tyson Jackson? I don't know who started mocking Jackson to the Chiefs. This move doesn't make much sense to me. Neither Jackson nor Curry have high positional value, so taking Jackson means that you have him rated higher on your board than Curry. That's pretty much absurd, as Curry is the consensus top player in this draft class. Speculation that Pioli prefers Jackson over Curry is wrong as well, given that he is tight-lipped and seldom lets information slip.

Also, note that the Chiefs went with a 3-4 end in last April's draft, so going there in back-to-back years isn't too smart.

Why Not Eugene Monroe? Monroe makes even less sense here; the Chiefs selected a left tackle (Branden Albert) last year, so taking Monroe and moving Albert around would be like choosing a guard or a right tackle at this spot. You don't do that at No. 3. Then again, Kansas City traded for a shotgun-spread system quarterback when it already had one, so I guess anything is possible with Scott Pioli running the show.

Draft Grades: (They copied my strike system)

Changing the defense to a 3-4 when the team had predominantly 4-3 personnel was strike one. Investing a lot of money and faith into a shotgun system quarterback was strike two. The 2009 NFL Draft was strike three.

My draft grades aren't so much about the players. Instead, they're more about the positions each team addressed; whether a team gave up too much in a trade; or whether each franchise followed the blueprint it needed to follow.

So, with that in mind, I was a bit baffled by Scott Pioli's draft choices. Taking Tyson Jackson, a projected lesser talent, over Aaron Curry, the consensus top defensive player in the class, could haunt the Chiefs for years to come. Neither Jackson nor Curry offered much in positional value, so the latter was a no-brainer. Jackson was projected to go 9-12 until rumors surfaced that Kansas City was interested in him. Curry, meanwhile, reportedly was the fallback option to go No. 1.

Getting off the Jackson issue, the Chiefs surrendered 37 sacks last year and garnered only 10 of their own. Pioli did absolutely nothing to help either category. No rush linebackers. No nose tackle. No offensive linemen until pick No. 139. Instead, Pioli decided to draft a third 3-4 end and a nickel corner before touching the offensive line. It's beginning to sound like Pioli's plan for Kansas City doesn't involve protecting Matt Cassel or getting to the other quarterback.

Grade given on 4/27/09: D

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

3. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Neither 3-4 end or linebacker offer much in terms of positional value. So, the Chiefs had to take the best defensive player on the board. Instead of Aaron Curry, the consensus No. 1 defensive player, they drafted Tyson Jackson, a much lesser prospect in terms of overall talent. This is yet another instance where Scott Pioli proves that he has absolutely no clue. Trading for a system quarterback with no arm strength should have been a sign that he'd mess up this pick. (Pick Grade: D)

67. Alex Magee, DE/DT, Purdue
I guess Scott Pioli plans on playing with as many 3-4 ends as possible. I'm all for acquiring defensive line depth, so I'm not giving the Chiefs a terrible grade, but they have so many other needs. Are the Chiefs going to eclipse 10 sacks in 2008? I'm not so sure. (Pick Grade: B)

102. Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State
The Chiefs have so many big needs. Corner isn't one of them. Donald Washington is solid value, so that saves this from being an F. You can never have enough cornerbacking depth, but Kansas City doesn't appear interested in addressing some of its needs. (Pick Grade: C)

139. Colin Brown, OT, Missouri
Scott Pioli lives up to his reputation of taking inferior talents over superior prospects. This was a pretty big reach, but at least it addresses a need. (Pick Grade: D)

175. Quinten Lawrence, WR, McNeese State
The Chiefs needed a guy to play across from Dwayne Bowe. Scott Pioli, of course, doesn't take the best player off the board. (Pick Grade: C)

212. Javarris Williams, RB, Tennessee State
I actually think this is great value for the Chiefs. Javarris Williams was arguably a mid-round prospect. If Larry Johnson leaves in the next year or two, Williams will be a nice complement to Jamaal Charles. (Pick Grade: A)

237. Jake O'Connell, TE, Miami of Ohio
A tight end to help replace Tony Gonzalez. I'll go out on a limb and say Jake O'Connell doesn't do that. No value here. (Pick Grade: C)

256. Ryan Succop, K, South Carolina
Scott Pioli sticks to his guns - taking less talented players at the position (or side of the ball). Graham Gano? Maybe Pioli knows something I don't. (Pick Grade: C)

Mr. Krab
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not very optimistic about this season, but dead last? Wow.
that's what i thought

OnTheWarpath15
09-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Their review of the Chiefs draft last year was fucking priceless.

Can you post it?

kstater
09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
What. The. Fuck.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Can you post it?

He basically made fun of Pioli for hours.

Tiger's Fan
09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
He basically made fun of Pioli for hours.

More than you?

Mecca
09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Uh he was extremely harsh...

cabletech94
09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I usually always enjoy reading Walter Football, but sheesh, dead last.
I don't think its gonna be that bad.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
2:35: The Chiefs just signed Tyler Thigpen Matt Cassel to a 6-year deal with $36 million guaranteed. Cassel will use half that money to purchase a bionic arm to upgrade his girly arm strength. He'll spend the other half on coaching to help him, you know, actually play under center.

3:48: NBC reports that the Chiefs and Matt Cassel haven't agreed to an extension. Poor Cassel. He'll have to wait for his bionic arm.

4:26: With the 3rd Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU . Scott Pioli proving once again that he has no idea what he's doing. Way to take a lesser player over the top defensive player in the draft.

4:31: From ChicagoJay concerning the Jackson pick: ****ing morons are u ****ing kidding me are they trying to ****ing rob me of 350? i cant ****ing believe theyve done this have fun finished last in the worst division in football agian kansas u ****ing losers.

4:32: With the 4th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest. And my mock draft is officially debacled. The writing was on the wall when Scott Pioli epically failed.

5:16: With the 9th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College. Pretty easy with Tyson Jackson off the board. We can all thank Scott Pioli for ruining what the 2009 NFL Draft was supposed to be.

5:21: With the 10th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. The 49ers should thank Scott Pioli and Al Davis for being incredibly stupid. Congrats, San Francisco fans! You just got one of the top players in the draft at No. 10!

5:41: With the 14th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Malcolm Jenkins, FS, Ohio State. There's some sanity in this world! If Scott Pioli were making this pick, he may have taken Chase Daniel(s).

That was all on the Walter site during the draft.

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Well he thinks that Cassel and Thigpen have the same skillsets FWIW

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Can you post it?

Look above.

the Talking Can
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
2:35: The Chiefs just signed Tyler Thigpen Matt Cassel to a 6-year deal with $36 million guaranteed. Cassel will use half that money to purchase a bionic arm to upgrade his girly arm strength. He'll spend the other half on coaching to help him, you know, actually play under center.

3:48: NBC reports that the Chiefs and Matt Cassel haven't agreed to an extension. Poor Cassel. He'll have to wait for his bionic arm.

4:26: With the 3rd Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU . Scott Pioli proving once again that he has no idea what he's doing. Way to take a lesser player over the top defensive player in the draft.

4:31: From ChicagoJay concerning the Jackson pick: ****ing morons are u ****ing kidding me are they trying to ****ing rob me of 350? i cant ****ing believe theyve done this have fun finished last in the worst division in football agian kansas u ****ing losers.

4:32: With the 4th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest. And my mock draft is officially debacled. The writing was on the wall when Scott Pioli epically failed.

5:16: With the 9th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College. Pretty easy with Tyson Jackson off the board. We can all thank Scott Pioli for ruining what the 2009 NFL Draft was supposed to be.

5:21: With the 10th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. The 49ers should thank Scott Pioli and Al Davis for being incredibly stupid. Congrats, San Francisco fans! You just got one of the top players in the draft at No. 10!

5:41: With the 14th Pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Malcolm Jenkins, FS, Ohio State. There's some sanity in this world! If Scott Pioli were making this pick, he may have taken Chase Daniel(s).

That was all on the Walter site during the draft.

that is embarrassingly stupid....did nick athan write it?

Mecca
09-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Here's the Chiefs/Ravens take from that site

Kansas City Chiefs (0-0) at Baltimore Ravens (0-0)
Line: Ravens by 13. Total: 36.
Walt's Projected Line (Before Preseason): Ravens -11.
Walt's Projected Line (After Preseason): Ravens -13.
Sunday, 1:00 ET

The Game. Edge: Ravens.

# KANSAS CITY OFFENSE: This is going to be fun. I have the Chiefs dead last in my 2009 NFL Power Rankings for many reasons - one of which is the quarterback position.

The Chiefs dealt away a second-round pick for Matt Cassel and gave him more than $60 million. I laughed throughout the course of this entire process. Cassel can do some good things - he can scramble and throw accurately in the short passing game - but he's a spread-shotgun system quarterback with no arm strength. Aside from his height, he's really no different than Tyler Thigpen.

Of course, Thigpen was able to lead the Chiefs on a covering spree toward the end of the 2008 season. But Thigpen had been with the Chiefs for a couple of years and largely was going against soft defenses. Baltimore will not allow any of this nonsense.

Cassel, who is only 50-50 to face the Ravens (as of Monday evening) won't stand much of a chance behind Kansas City's horrendous offensive line. Cassel took a lot of sacks in New England, so imagine what will happen this season. Cassel won't have the services of a solid running game either; Baltimore will put the clamps on that without much effort.

BALTIMORE OFFENSE: One of the reasons I love the Ravens so much this year is their underrated offense. Joe Flacco really looks like he's ready to take the next step and enter into the upper echelon of NFL quarterbacks. Ray Rice will be a dangerous weapon out of the backfield for Flacco. Derrick Mason, despite nearly retiring, appears as though he's poised for another big season.

Most importantly, the Ravens have one of the top offensive lines in the NFL. This matches up well against Kansas City's joke of a defensive front. Baltimore will easily push around rookie Tyson Jackson and 3-4 misfit Glenn Dorsey, opening up huge lanes for Rice and giving Flacco an eternity to throw the ball. The Chiefs mustered 10 sacks last year, so expecting them to even get one in this contest is pretty far-fetched.

RECAP: According to my 2009 NFL Power Rankings, this is a matchup between the No. 2 and the No. 32 teams. Unless Flacco and several members of the offensive line go down with injuries, I really can't envision this game being remotely close.

The Psychology. Edge: Chiefs.
The Ravens have the Chargers next week (LOOK-AHEAD ALERT). The Chiefs suck at life right now, so Baltimore may treat like this a fifth preseason game. Then again, this is the season opener...

The Vegas. Edge: Chiefs.
No one should be surprised that the betting is this lopsided.
# Percentage of money on Baltimore: 88% (38,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: Chiefs.
# Chiefs are 11-5 ATS as a road underdog since 2007.
# Chiefs were 6-0 ATS as a double-digit underdog under Herm Edwards.
# Opening Line: Ravens -9.
# Opening Total: 37.5.
# Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees. Light wind.
# For more trends, check out the Gaming Matchups or the Expanded NFL Analysis.

Week 1 NFL Pick: Ravens 41, Chiefs 0
Ravens -13 (4 Units)
Over 36 (2 Units)
Survivor Pick (0-0)

Shag
09-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Branden Albert is solid at left tackle, but Pioli didn't draft him and the Chiefs organization doesn't have that much money invested into him (about $3 million over the next four years). Pioli can afford to draft a franchise left tackle and move Albert around in an effort to give Cassel more time in the pocket.

Why Not Eugene Monroe? Monroe makes even less sense here; the Chiefs selected a left tackle (Branden Albert) last year, so taking Monroe and moving Albert around would be like choosing a guard or a right tackle at this spot. You don't do that at No. 3.

You don't select OL at 3, but apparently, you do at 1... ROFL

JohninGpt
09-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Unless I missed something (which is entirely possible) this hasn't done SF much good.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 06:24 PM
You don't select OL at 3, but apparently, you do at 1... ROFL

You have to realize he went from thinking Pioli was smart to thinking he was an idiot in that time frame.

KCwolf
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Unless I missed something (which is entirely possible) this hasn't done SF much good.

This is perferct.......enough said. I'm not saying T.Jax was the right pick, but somehow this genious knows we made the wrong pick

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Why the fuck would we replace a 36 year old Bobby Engram with a 39 year old Jordan Shipley? The fucker should have his Ph.D. and completed his tenure track at UT by now.

Besides that fact that he is 23... What REAL issues do you have with Shipley?

Pablo
09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Besides that fact that he is 23... What REAL issues do you have with Shipley?He's white(slow) and from Texas(undisciplined).

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Besides that fact that he is 23... What REAL issues do you have with Shipley?

He'll be a 24 year old rookie (who'll turn 25 his rookie year) from a spread offense of slight build with marginal speed.

Yes, he looks great running drag routes against the 4th CB at Baylor, but by the time you've taken 2 years to teach him a proper route tree, you've got a prospect who is 2-3 years older than most of the other guys, coming from a system and school with little success in transitioning its players to the pro game.

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
He'll be a 24 year old rookie (who'll turn 25 his rookie year) from a spread offense of slight build with marginal speed.

A 4.4 is marginal?

I seem to recall another spread offense receiver with worse 40 times.. Wes Welker is doing fine in the NFL.

Fact is, Shipley is the all time leading receiver in Texas high school history. I don't see him as a superstar but I will bet you that he has a solid NFL career.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 06:52 PM
A 4.4 is marginal?

I seem to recall another spread offense receiver with worse 40 times.. Wes Welker is doing fine in the NFL.

Fact is, Shipley is the all time leading receiver in Texas high school history. I don't see him as a superstar but I will bet you that he has a solid NFL career.

Translation: I'll take the best estimate of his 4.4 and try and pass that off as his true speed.

He won't be Wes Welker. He won't even be Brandon Stokley.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Please this years WR class blows unless the 3 underclassman all come out after them there's nothing.

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Translation: I'll take the best estimate of his 4.4 and try and pass that off as his true speed.

He won't be Wes Welker. He won't even be Brandon Stokley.

And this is based on your infinite knowledge of the future? Have you watched him play or is this more anti-UT bias?(btw I am not a huge UT fan but I do watch all their games)

He has a measured 4.4.. Welker I believe was a 4.6

So what other UT WRs failed in the NFL? Roy Williams? Limas Sweed seems to be catching on with the Steelers... How about Jermichael Finley(played TE/WR) Kyle Shanahan? (oops, ok forget that one)

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Please this years WR class blows unless the 3 underclassman all come out after them there's nothing.

You realize you've just secured WR pick at #1, yes?:D

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Not arguing that... just saying that Jordan Shipley at #65 isn't the worst pick in the world. Hamas' dismissiveness is completely unwarranted in this case.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
And this is based on your infinite knowledge of the future? Have you watched him play or is this more anti-UT bias?(btw I am not a huge UT fan but I do watch all their games)

He has a measured 4.4.. Welker I believe was a 4.6

So what other UT WRs failed in the NFL? Roy Williams? Limas Sweed seems to be catching on with the Steelers... How about Jermichael Finley(played TE/WR) Kyle Shanahan? (oops, ok forget that one)

I've watched enough Big XII and UT games to know what a good college player and what a good pro prospect are and how they are discrete entities. When Shipley runs a 4.4 at a scouting combine, I'll eat my hat.

He does not have a "measured 4.4". He has a guestimated 4.4. He also has a guestimated 4.51. There's a reason why guys run 40s at the combine and they take height/weight measurements. It's because you can't trust measurements from the school. He doesn't have speed. He also doesn't have Wes Welker's quickness. He's also coming from a program that doesn't produce pro prospects that correlate to their hype.

We are all well aware of the fact that you watch all UT games. Whether it's your pimping of Colt McCoy, or your continued pumping up of Michigan products, like that douchebag who had good bench #s and you wanted us to spend a fifth on, you can't be trusted to give an honest analysis of the players that you have the most investment in.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
You should always be skeptical of Texas players...very few have ever lived up to their hype.

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
you can't be trusted to give an honest analysis of the players that you have the most investment in.

Michigan bias I will give you... but not UT... I am very skeptical of them for the most part... for example... I was never a fan of Orakpo but I was a fan of Roy Williams.

UT has a solid record in putting out NFL receivers... barring a disastrous 40 time... Shipley will be one of those.

You also totally discounted the fact that he owns most Texas high school receiving records... that is no small feat.

So if Shipley runs a 4.49, you'll change your tune? I see him as a solid #2 in the NFL... are you not even giving him that?

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 07:43 PM
You should always be skeptical of Texas players...very few have ever lived up to their hype.

Like Leinart and Bush? Big schools= big hype. UT may be SLIGHTLY worse than others (with Vince Young and Ricky Williams) but for every one of them, they also put out a Roy Williams or Casey Hampton

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Michigan bias I will give you... but not UT... I am very skeptical of them for the most part... for example... I was never a fan of Orakpo but I was a fan of Roy Williams.

UT has a solid record in putting out NFL receivers... barring a disastrous 40 time... Shipley will be one of those.

You also totally discounted the fact that he owns most Texas high school receiving records... that is no small feat.

So if Shipley runs a 4.49, you'll change your tune? I see him as a solid #2 in the NFL... are you not even giving him that?

Again, I'm not saying he can't make the transition, but I dont' see him as a likely project. He's 2 years older than most guys, he's behind the curve on learning a pro offense, and he's not a very big guy.

He'll never be a #2 receiver...he's too short and too slow. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs a 4.49, but that's nothing to get excited about. That's marginal speed for an NFL WR. He doesn't have Dwayne Bowe's body type or Fitzgerald's leaping ability. He's a slot receiver if it all works out for him. I see him as a poor man's Brandon Stokley if he works out. He profiles much more as a 3/4, but not a #2. He's not gonna be able to get deep, IMO, and he's not that big.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Like Leinart and Bush? Big schools= big hype. UT may be SLIGHTLY worse than others (with Vince Young and Ricky Williams) but for every one of them, they also put out a Roy Williams or Casey Hampton

Don't count Leinart out just yet; he was beginning to look pretty solid against Green Bay.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

DJ (#15), Mike Williams (#2), Cedric Benson (#5), Leonard Davis (#2), Michael Huff (#7), Ricky Williams (#5), Vince Young (#3).

This is in the last decade

It's fucking staggering.

doomy3
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Of course the receivers that have come out of USC really haven't been any better, and they run a pro-style offense.

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
DJ (#15), Mike Williams (#2), Cedric Benson (#5), Leonard Davis (#2), Michael Huff (#7), Ricky Williams (#5), Vince Young (#3).

This is in the last decade

It's fucking staggering.

Mike Williams was #4 and that reminds me ...

Mike Williams (#10), Reggie Bush (#2), Matt Leinhart(#10), Kenechi Udeze(#20), R. Jay Soward (#29)

AS I SAID, Texas may be slightly worse than others but not to a degree that warrants your dissmissive attitude toward EVERY player.

You plan on discounting Kindle as well?

The fact is... big programs get big hype... lots of players fall flat from all sorts of places... USC included.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
USC hasn't really had a true NFL dynamic type WR most of them have been of the big slow variety. Which well isn't the best thing to have at the NFL level.

Mecca
09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
R Jay Soward was before the current coaching staff at USC I wouldn't really count him. I don't count the before Mack Brown time players.

Would you like to compare the players that have made it from SC? There's quite the list of those guys too.

veist
09-10-2009, 08:10 PM

It was Cody they had us taking at #3, and it was like "this is incredibly bad value here so it fits Pioli". Oh and before that it was Benn so honestly he's just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

aturnis
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Pioli is trying to build a stud defense. A team can win with a mediocre offense as long as they have a good defense. Defense starts on the line. So that's where the team is starting.

The DE's have to be able to rush the QB, but they have to play the run equally well. In order for the 3-4 defense to succeed, they need to be stout against the run. He brought in Tyson Jackson for exactly that reason. He can rush the passer and can play the run. McGee, he's just a complete DE who Pioli took as insurance in case Dorsey can't make the switch. Best case scenario, he's solid depth who pushes for a starting spot. Worst case, he's a stable starter when Dorsey flops.

I like Pioli's approach so far. As the defense sits:

D-Line: With three DE's who could all potentially start in the league once they gain experience, the line only lacks a stud NT. We'll see this year how Tank does. Hopefully Haley can bring the nasty back out of him.

LB's: Right now, with the emergence of Mays, and the transition of Tamba, the starting unit is in better shape that anyone could have hoped for. Vrabel is a stop-gap and a mentor. He'll need to be replaced eventually. While noone really knows what the deal with DJ is, will he step up? Where has he faltered? On the field, or in the classroom? The team will probably need to find 1 or 2 more starters, whether either of them are on the roster, or in the league already we don't know.

Secondary: With 2 stud corners drafted this year, and potentially one this year, not to mention Maurice Leggett as a play making CB, the roster is pretty set at corner. Safety, is another story. Pollard got nixed and Paige is riding pine. Whether that is b/c of his play, classroom work or something off the field is unknown, but let's hope he regains form. Mike Brown is a stud vet who has had some injury problems. If healthy, he could probably serve as a good stop-gap for a couple years. After the starters, Dajuan Morgan show some spark, if he can stop going for the big interception and concentrate on coverage, he could definitely start for this team. John McGraw is decent depth and great special teams. We may need to pick some guys up eventually, but serviceable for now.

I think this defense is closer than some think. We'll see how the season plays out. Pioli could have made a better attempt to get an oline to protect Cassel, it's no secret they're crap. Maybe they know something we don't, but I doubt it. For the record I don't believe Cassel was a mistake, and will be more than a spread QB. Once the defense is built, and the offense has a line and some weapons, he shouldn't have any problems winning, or, not losing. I do know one thing though. Coming from New England, and being brought in by Pioli who knows him, he comes with a lot less questions than anyone who was available to us in the draft.

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
R Jay Soward was before the current coaching staff at USC I wouldn't really count him. I don't count the before Mack Brown time players.

Would you like to compare the players that have made it from SC? There's quite the list of those guys too.

And a decent list of UT guys as well, and U-M and Ohio State... the fact is... you can build an argument for bias for or against ANY big program. Fact is, the bias is crap.... unless you can show a valid reason... i.e. Texas runs a spread therefore it's QBs will be less prepared for the NFL. But to discount a Texas WR simply because you hate Texas is silly.

(and as to the coaching staff... I would be more willing to look at position coaches and make judgements then to look at HC, OC or DC)

Mecca
09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Texas has that stigma because of a ton of guys who were thought of as can't miss...missed.

RustShack
09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Even with how bad the Oline is, I think the first pick HAS to be a top flight NT such as Cody, or a Safety like Mays or Berry. Our defense needs a Polomalu, Reed, Sanders, Taylor(what he was/and still would be). We can still address the Oline in the second round though since we already have a first round LT.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Mike Williams was #4 and that reminds me ...

Mike Williams (#10), Reggie Bush (#2), Matt Leinhart(#10), Kenechi Udeze(#20), R. Jay Soward (#29)

AS I SAID, Texas may be slightly worse than others but not to a degree that warrants your dissmissive attitude toward EVERY player.

You plan on discounting Kindle as well?

The fact is... big programs get big hype... lots of players fall flat from all sorts of places... USC included.

There were more Texas players, and all but DJ were top 7 picks. Everyone you list there, save Bush, were taken later. Texas players, especially their high picks, fail at a much higher rate than players from other schools. LSU, Florida, OSU, Oklahoma, etc.

You can't equate a #29 pick busting to a #7 pick busting.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Even with how bad the Oline is, I think the first pick HAS to be a top flight NT such as Cody, or a Safety like Mays or Berry. Our defense needs a Polomalu, Reed, Sanders, Taylor(what he was/and still would be). We can still address the Oline in the second round though since we already have a first round LT.

This.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 08:20 PM
And a decent list of UT guys as well, and U-M and Ohio State... the fact is... you can build an argument for bias for or against ANY big program. Fact is, the bias is crap.... unless you can show a valid reason... i.e. Texas runs a spread therefore it's QBs will be less prepared for the NFL. But to discount a Texas WR simply because you hate Texas is silly.

(and as to the coaching staff... I would be more willing to look at position coaches and make judgements then to look at HC, OC or DC)

I said nothing about hating Texas, that's bullshit. It's a red herring at best.

I said, multiple times, that Shipley lacks size, speed, quickness, he's old for a prospect, he's coming from a program with a bad track record, and he's coming from an offensive system that doesn't correlate well to NFL success.

If you don't believe that, then fine. But at least make an honest argument and don't lie about what I said.

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Well, if we are looking to fix the RIGHT side of our line we SHOULD be looking in the 2nd rd. I could see us go for a NT, an ELITE DE/OLB (Kindle, etc) or ELITE S (Mays, Berry) ... none of those picks would bother me in the least. The only other pick would be QB (if Cassel flops) or WR (if one shoots up the boards)... otherwise defense is the way to go.

jAZ
09-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Their review of the Chiefs draft last year was ****ing priceless.

Why Not Eugene Monroe? Monroe makes even less sense here; the Chiefs selected a left tackle (Branden Albert) last year, so taking Monroe and moving Albert around would be like choosing a guard or a right tackle at this spot. You don't do that at No. 3. [/I]

But next year you do that at #1?

WTF?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
But next year you do that at #1?

WTF?

It's not what they should do, he's projecting what they will do. Walter Football sees Pioli as a bonehead, hence their draft grades and excoriation of his personnel moves.

philfree
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
33) Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Norwood, DE/OLB, South Carolina
The smart move here would be to add a rush linebacker to help an anemic pass rush that won't be any better in 2009 than it was in 2008. Eric Norwood opened the season with two sacks against N.C. State. He had 14.5 TFL and nine sacks in 2008.

I'm intrigued by Norwood. It's to early to say but he could be a really good pick at #33.

PhilFree:arrow:

AustinChief
09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I said nothing about hating Texas, that's bullshit. It's a red herring at best.

I said, multiple times, that Shipley lacks size, speed, quickness, he's old for a prospect, he's coming from a program with a bad track record, and he's coming from an offensive system that doesn't correlate well to NFL success.

If you don't believe that, then fine. But at least make an honest argument and don't lie about what I said.

I translated and added emphasis to the bolded part... maybe HATE would be strong but it seems you have a decided anti-texas BIAS at the least.

And I did counter the speed argument and the system argument in regards to WRs (Williams, Sweed, Finley, etc).. I will now counter the size argument... while not HUGE.. he is listed at 6'1" which is probably a solid 6" AGAIN I am not arguing he is a superstar but I will bet he will be solid. Guys like Shipley and Welker accomplish most of what they do based on their internal drive.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Well, if we are looking to fix the RIGHT side of our line we SHOULD be looking in the 2nd rd. I could see us go for a NT, an ELITE DE/OLB (Kindle, etc) or ELITE S (Mays, Berry) ... none of those picks would bother me in the least. The only other pick would be QB (if Cassel flops) or WR (if one shoots up the boards)... otherwise defense is the way to go.

We just can't pick a QB next year, even if Cassel is awful. Of course, that's also why we should have given him this year as an audition (plus we owned his rights in the advent of an uncapped year, so he couldn't leave via FA). Other than that, I agree. My enthusiasm for Kindle is tempered somewhat by UTs track record, but they are better at producing defensive linemen than other positions (DB, OL, QB, RB, etc.)

jAZ
09-10-2009, 08:29 PM
It's not what they should do, he's projecting what they will do. Walter Football sees Pioli as a bonehead, hence their draft grades and excoriation of his personnel moves.

No, this sentence is either true in 2009 and 2010.... or it's not true in either year.

Pioli can afford to draft a franchise left tackle and move Albert around in an effort to give Cassel more time in the pocket.

veist
09-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Cody isn't top flight, he's a fringe 1st round prospect that plays two downs in college and has conditioning issues. He's more likely to eat himself out of the league after getting a big payday than he is to make a single pro bowl.

'Hamas' Jenkins
No, this sentence is either true in 2009 and 2010.... or it's not true in either year.
Pioli can afford to draft a franchise left tackle and move Albert around in an effort to give Cassel more time in the pocket.

Yes, you're right. I'm conflating McGuire with the other guy.

AustinChief
We just can't pick a QB next year, even if Cassel is awful. Of course, that's also why we should have given him this year as an audition (plus we owned his rights in the advent of an uncapped year, so he couldn't leave via FA). Other than that, I agree. My enthusiasm for Kindle is tempered somewhat by UTs track record, but they are better at producing defensive linemen than other positions (DB, OL, QB, RB, etc.)

I agree actually with the QB pick assessment BUT I was just saying what picks wouldn't make me sick. I wouldn't be sick by the pick of a QB just sick that we wasted so much on Cassel (this is IF Cassel flops, not a projection here...)... As for Kindle, I am actually holding back total judgement on him until I see 2-3 more games... but I have a "feeling" he will be damn good in the NFL...