PDA

View Full Version : Misc Product Downsizing is getting carried away

PastorMikH
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Seems like almost everyone is cutting portions short. I personally find this irritating. I'd rather pay a little more and not have to adjust recipes and such, still being hungry after eating a frozen pizza that used to fill you up with pizza left over and so on.

But yesterday I made an observation that just goes too far. I'm sitting there working my sudoku puzzle and notice there sure seems to be a lot of that bar showing that the roll of toilet paper goes on. I find this rather odd. As I work my Sudoku puzzle, my mind keeps wandering back. Then a theory dawns on me, the roll of toilet paper is NARROWER than it used to be. When I finish the Sudoku puzzle and get up to leave, I decide to check this realization. I measure the width of the roll, 4 inches. I go out to my truck where I keep a roll stored under the back seat in case of emergency while in the deep woods. It measures 4 1/2 inches wide, same brand, but put in there about a year ago.

Is it really so bad that they have to go and change the width of a roll of toilet paper? The width that has been an industry standard for close to a century not only in the toilet paper industry but the hardware industries too? And how long will it be before they shrink the width to the point where it is no longer wide enough to safely protect my hand while it does it's job?

:shake:

What Product Downsizing irritates you the most?

JuicesFlowing
09-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Leaves are free.:D J/K

Rain Man
09-12-2009, 10:52 AM
The toilet paper industry has been chafing me for years with this stuff.

Baby Lee
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Noticed that the 'expensive' celery salt is a 50/50 mix of celery seed and table salt, and the 'cheap' celery salt is 90/10.

Oh, and deference to the thread starter's avvy, a callback to John Wayne TP, it's rough, it's tough, and it don't take shit of anyone!!

Bwana
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Give it another year Mike and dollar bills will be cheaper to use for that project.

JuicesFlowing
09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Give it another year Mike and dollar bills will be cheaper to use for that project.

I use pesos myself. If I can find something worth less than that, then I'll convert.

Bwana
09-12-2009, 11:03 AM
The first time I really noticed it was a few years ago when bags of dog food went from 50 pounds down to 48, then 45 down to 37.5 pounds, or some damn thing. The price however remained the same.

milkman
09-12-2009, 11:07 AM
So you're saying that downsizing is shitty?

Stewie
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Stop buying it. That'll show 'em!

I wonder what Sheryl Crow is going to do about her "just use one square to save the world" idea? There might be some funk on those fingers now.

KCUnited
09-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Eat a smaller frozen pizza, take a smaller shit, use smaller toilet paper. Makes sense too me.

JD10367
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Just use the guest towels.

Consistent1
09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
If Keystone finds a way to make a 28 pack, I will know the world is coming to an end.

RJ
09-12-2009, 11:43 AM
There is a certain symmetry in reducing the width of the toilet paper in conjunction with reducing the diameter of the pizza.

PastorMikH
09-12-2009, 12:42 PM
The first time I really noticed it was a few years ago when bags of dog food went from 50 pounds down to 48, then 45 down to 37.5 pounds, or some damn thing. The price however remained the same.

I haven't seen a 50lb bag of dogfood in years.

I've noticed that whenever they decide to change the size of bag, they bring out the bag for a while that says something like 10% more free. Then they phase out those bags and we're stuck with a smaller bag.