PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Much better than expected

Mr. Laz
09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
You can't really be happy about a loss but the Chiefs clearly exceeded expectations.

Our defense was decent, especially if you take into account that the Ravens threw at Leggett ALL GAME LONG. You put a healthy Flowers back in and it's better.

Our special teams were solid outside of the one bad kickoff and one bad punt. Kudoes to the Rook for a 53 yrd field goal on his maiden NFL outing.

New Tightend Ryan showed up

Derrick Johnson showed up even though he was only in there during a pass coverage package.

Tank Tyler showed up and looked like our best Dlineman.

Vrabel was an asset even though our Linebackers look to be a major weakness in coverage.

Our coaching was extremely conservative to start out but got better.

Brodie Croyle didn't break and didn't throw scared either. Nice. :toast:

Our main problem is still the Oline ... i can't decide which is the bigger weakness, Center or Right tackle. Niswanger is almost always Failing in one way or another. Missed block, weak push,getting road grading all the way back to the QB. :shake:

LJ failed to impress (insert Oline blame here)

overall not too bad considering we were playing a team with one of the best defenses in the league who many consider to be a legitimage Super Bowl contender.

If the team continues to improve throughout the year it might not be such a painful season after all.

Haley is still a jerk ROFL

but if he's a successful jerk then it's all good. :D

donkhater
09-13-2009, 07:02 PM
You can't really be happy about a loss but the Chiefs clearly exceeded expectations.

Our defense was decent, especially if you take into account that the Ravens threw at Leggett ALL GAME LONG. You put a healthy Flowers back in and it's better.

>500 yards given up, likely to be the 31st or 32nd ranked defense in the league after this week. Yeah, much improved. :rolleyes: Leggett wasn't great, but Flacco stood back there and cooked a four-course meal WAAAAY more often than Leggett got picked on. The outside linebackers looked more foolish in coverage to me, than leggett did.

Our special teams were solid outside of the one bad kickoff and one bad punt. Kudoes to the Rook for a 53 yrd field goal on his maiden NFL outing.

Derrick Johnson showed up even though he was only in there during a pass coverage package.

Vrabel was an asset even though our Linebackers look to be a major weakness in coverage.

Hali can rush the passer out of a two point stance, but I haven't seen much else out of him.

Our main problem is still the Oline ... i can't decide which is the bigger weakness, Center or Right tackle. Niswanger is almost always Failing in one way or another. Missed block, weak push,getting road grading all the way back to the QB. :shake:

I wouldn't fault the front office for putting Albert on the right side (Oher was drafted in a similar spot for Baltimore this year to play RT) and taking another left tackle next season. For as much as this board is in love with the guy, he is just average as a left tackle so far in his career.

overall not too bad considering we were playing a team with one of the best defenses in the league who many consider to be a legitimage Super Bowl contender.

If the team continues to improve throughout the year it might not be such a painful season after all.

Yea, moral victory.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I guess you missed the part where the Baltimore Ravens, of all teams, put up 38 points and more than 500 yards of offense on the Chiefs defense. What's worse is that the Ravens continually shot themselves in the foot with penalties, dropped balls and a missed field goal.

I am most certainly glad we don't play the Saints this year.

They might put up 1,000 yards.

No kidding.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
They didn't move the ball throwing on Legget all the time...Mason didn't have a big game, Clayton had a big catch but his game wasn't huge either...

The Chiefs got roasted with Heap and the RB's out of the backfield...

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 07:10 PM
On the plus side, it sounds like we're going to have a very content, happy fan base this season, which is cool.

kstater
09-13-2009, 07:10 PM
They didn't move the ball throwing on Legget all the time...Mason didn't have a big game, Clayton had a big catch but his game wasn't huge either...

If you add up all the screens including the 2 that got called back, they had roughly 200 yards off of screens.

donkhater
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
If you add up all the screens including the 2 that got called back, they had roughly 200 yards off of screens.

Heap and the running backs combined for 14 catches for 140 yards.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Heap and the running backs combined for 14 catches for 140 yards.

It's going to happen all year, the Chiefs LB's are bad in coverage and don't have speed to get it done.

DBOSHO
09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
tank showed up?

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
It's going to happen all year, the Chiefs LB's are bad in coverage and don't have speed to get it done.

I won't argue that. The question is can they adjust for it defensively.

Simply Red
I guess you missed the part where the Baltimore Ravens, of all teams, put up 38 points and more than 500 yards of offense on the Chiefs defense. What's worse is that the Ravens continually shot themselves in the foot with penalties, dropped balls and a missed field goal.

I am most certainly glad we don't play the Saints this year.

They might put up 1,000 yards.

No kidding.

DREW BREEEE!!!!!!!!

donkhater
Vrabel in his post game comments indicated that they thought they would run more and when they went play action so much, they had a tough time getting into coverage. This will be a problem all year with teams with running tendencies. they can exploit that all day.

See:
Pittsburgh
NYG
SD

I'd say Oakland, but their QB sucks.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I won't argue that. The question is can they adjust for it defensively.

I don't really know what adjustment they can make, they just don't match up there and they don't get a pass rush to make up for it.

joesomebody
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I for one was happy with what I saw today. It was better than expected for me too.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
was I watching the same game?. . the chiefs were extremely unimpressive .. they had a couple of lucky plays that resulted in the score staying close. . we had no offense at all for 90% of the game and for the most part they marched down the field on us at will. . we played just like the old chiefs . . we missed numerous first downs by a half a yard and did nothing to impress me. . (aside from that 53 yrd kick). .

No man, you don't get it.

The Chiefs only gave up 500 yards defensively.

The Chiefs had nearly 200 yards offensively.

WIN!!!

Oopps, I mean loss.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
was I watching the same game?. . the chiefs were extremely unimpressive .. they had a couple of lucky plays that resulted in the score staying close. . we had no offense at all for 90% of the game and for the most part they marched down the field on us at will. . we played just like the old chiefs . . we missed numerous first downs by a half a yard and did nothing to impress me. . (aside from that 53 yrd kick). .

Lucky seems to be the word of the day.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
No man, you don't get it.

The Chiefs only gave up 500 yards defensively.

The Chiefs had nearly 200 yards offensively.

WIN!!!

Oopps, I mean loss.

Almost.

The last TD doesn't count.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Bullshit a loss is a loss. Close games don't win super bowls.

WildTurkey
09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
you guys are right.... how dare we get excited about anything, after the shit i have had to watch from the chiefs the last few years, they looked a hell of a lot better than they ever did under herm, nobody is saying they looked great, but with the lack of talent this team has, the fact that they were even in the game in the 2nd half was something to feel positive about

DaneMcCloud
Almost.

The last TD doesn't count.

The scary part is that without two huge fluke plays which cannot be counted up to happen week in and week out, the score could have been 38-10.

Yeee-ouch.

DBOSHO
Bullshit a loss is a loss. Close games don't win super bowls.

sourpuss

riskrevival
09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
i don't think some of you fans realize we let the ravens score 30+ points with over 500 yards of offense, I'd say right now after week 1 they are probably 2nd or 3rd in OFFENSE behind the Saints and maybe another team. Yea, when were the Ravens ever a top offense in this league? That's how bad we are, we let the Ravens offense torch us, not their defense... which is how they usually win. We gave their defense a bye this week pretty much, they were barely on the field to do anything. I did enjoy all the homers this week leading up to the game saying who the fuck is Ray Rice? and people picking Albert over Gaither as a better RT. Funny.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
you guys are right.... how dare we get excited about anything, after the shit i have had to watch from the chiefs the last few years, they looked a hell of a lot better than they ever did under herm, nobody is saying they looked great, but with the lack of talent this team has, the fact that they were even in the game in the 2nd half was something to feel positive about

How'd they look better?

The gave up 500 yards to the Ravens. Not the Saints. Not the Cardinals. The Ravens.

The offense couldn't do a thing.

Jon McGraw's been with the Chiefs for what, 3 years? He finally made a play. Great!

DBOSHO
09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
The scary part is that without two huge fluke plays which cannot be counted up to happen week in and week out, the score could have been 38-10.

Yeee-ouch.

what was the other fluke play other than the blocked punt?

donkhater
09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, there is optimism and then there is realism. I am optimistic that Pioli and Haley can do it, but realistically, they are a LONG way away. So until they actually win consistently, the realist trumps the optimist.

dirk digler

In the first half that is incorrect. 2nd half that would correct

Titty Meat
sourpuss

Yea your right. WOOOOHOOO the Chiefs ALMOST won. They were 2-14 last year and ALMOST won 7 of those games. Fuck yea! Hopefully the Chiefs can make the super bowl and almost win. The fan base of Kansas City is a fucking joke it's no wonder this town has the worst sports teams in professional sports. Content with giving up 500 yards and "almost winning" is bullshit.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:28 PM
How'd they look better?

The gave up 500 yards to the Ravens. Not the Saints. Not the Cardinals. The Ravens.

The offense couldn't do a thing.

Jon McGraw's been with the Chiefs for what, 3 years? He finally made a play. Great!

The offense did score 17 points which is usually enough to beat the Ravens. I bet if someone said this team would score 24 points vs the Ravens you would laugh at them.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
what was the other fluke play other than the blocked punt?

DJ's interception that brought the ball to the near goal line.

After 5 years, the guy makes a play when it counts.

I hope it's not a fluke but he's certainly been far from consistent. I sat in the stands last year in New York and watched him drop a sure Quick Six from Favre.

bishop_74
09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
The offense did score 17 points which is usually enough to beat the Ravens. I bet if someone said this team would score 24 points vs the Ravens you would laugh at them.

So that begs the question... is our defense really that bad, or has their offense really improved that much. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DaneMcCloud

You don't count the 7 points scored by the special teams.

The offense scored 17 points.

That is generally not enough to win in the NFL.

It may be enough to beat the Ravens some weeks but certainly not when your defense gives up 500 yards and 38 points.

DaneMcCloud
So that begs the question... is our defense really that bad, or has their offense really improved that much. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

LMAO

DBOSHO
09-13-2009, 07:31 PM
i don't think some of you fans realize we let the ravens score 30+ points with over 500 yards of offense, I'd say right now after week 1 they are probably 2nd or 3rd in OFFENSE behind the Saints and maybe another team. Yea, when were the Ravens ever a top offense in this league? That's how bad we are, we let the Ravens offense torch us, not their defense... which is how they usually win. We gave their defense a bye this week pretty much, they were barely on the field to do anything. I did enjoy all the homers this week leading up to the game saying who the **** is Ray Rice? and people picking Albert over Gaither as a better RT. Funny.

im not calling the ravens a powerhouse or anything, but theyre offense isnt bad. they have a very good run game, a solid wr in mason, a speedster in clayton, one of the best TEs in the nfl in heap, and a qb with a cannon.

most of it was due to the combination of no pass rush and shit coverage, but the ravens O is better than average.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
You don't count the 7 points scored by the special teams.

The offense scored 17 points.

That is generally not enough to win in the NFL.

Aginst the Ravens it should be. Really that offense is shitty and like i've said before that team isn't that good, I don't care what anyone says Pittsburgh will pimp smack them so will New England.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM

I think our defense probably isn't the greatest but they are going to better offensively considering they have Cam Cameron and Al Saunders working together. Those 2 guys aren't slouches as offensive gurus.

joesomebody
09-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I guess I just didn't have high expectations this season, and to see them compete fairly well on opening week at Baltimore of all places without their starting quarterback and their best CB was a good sign for me.

Yeah we had a few things swing our way to keep us in the game, but that is football gentlemen. If you want to be pissed off and only look at the bad, go ahead. I just won't be joining you just yet.

DeezNutz
im not calling the ravens a powerhouse or anything, but theyre offense isnt bad. they have a very good run game, a solid wr in mason, a speedster in clayton, one of the best TEs in the nfl in heap, and a qb with a cannon.

most of it was due to the combination of no pass rush and shit coverage, but the ravens O is better than average.

Agreed. If we can just fix these things and our run defense, we'll be in business.

bishop_74
I think our defense probably isn't the greatest but they are going to better offensively considering they have Cam Cameron and Al Saunders working together. Those 2 guys aren't slouches as offensive gurus.

Did not know Al was working for them now. Well thats an egg in their basket for sure.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:34 PM

I hope it's not a fluke but he's certainly been far from consistent. I sat in the stands last year in New York and watched him drop a sure Quick Six from Favre.

LMAO Yea, INT rarely happen by the defense. LMAO He didn't make a play, it was LUCK.

Please, don't give any credit. In fact I might like this team less if you did.

JFC LMAO

DaneMcCloud
Agreed. If we can just fix these things and our run defense, we'll be in business.

And our run game offensively.

bishop_74

I am not even so worried about our run defense, but letting Flacco throw for 307 yards is terrible.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Did not know Al was working for them now. Well thats an egg in their basket for sure.

Mecca says they aren't a good offense so it doesn't matter.

DBOSHO
Yea your right. WOOOOHOOO the Chiefs ALMOST won. They were 2-14 last year and ALMOST won 7 of those games. **** yea! Hopefully the Chiefs can make the super bowl and almost win. The fan base of Kansas City is a ****ing joke it's no wonder this town has the worst sports teams in professional sports. Content with giving up 500 yards and "almost winning" is bullshit.

then pick a new team to root for. its that easy.

noones calling the chiefs superbowl contenders, we are happy that we didnt get blown out and stayed with a real superbowl contender for 48 minutes. relax.

Hammock Parties

You're such a hater. DJ has made plays in critical moments before.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I am not even so worried about our run defense, but letting Flacco throw for 307 yards is terrible.

Huh?

The Chiefs gave up nearly 200 yards on the ground.

How can that not be a concern?

Coogs

Yeee-ouch.

This is the thing I like about Chiefs fans. We make the plays, and they are flukes. Teams like the Giants, Ravens, Eagles, Bears, and other great defenses make those plays, and Chiefs fans froth from the mouth at what awesome plays and defenses they have.

Hammock Parties
This is the thing I like about Chiefs fans. We make the plays, and they are flukes. Teams like the Giants, Ravens, Eagles, Bears, and other great defenses make those plays, and Chiefs fans froth from the mouth at what awesome plays and defenses they have.

We had 180 yards to their 500.

The fact the game was close was a complete fluke.

DBOSHO
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

i wouldnt go so far as to call it a fluke. i mean the guy read the play and made a play on the ball.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

I'd much rather give up 300 through the air than 200 on the ground.

It's rare, however, that a team does both in one game, so in that sense we exceeded my expectations, too.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:38 PM
i don't think some of you fans realize we let the ravens score 30+ points with over 500 yards of offense, I'd say right now after week 1 they are probably 2nd or 3rd in OFFENSE behind the Saints and maybe another team. Yea, when were the Ravens ever a top offense in this league? That's how bad we are, we let the Ravens offense torch us, not their defense... which is how they usually win. We gave their defense a bye this week pretty much, they were barely on the field to do anything. I did enjoy all the homers this week leading up to the game saying who the fuck is Ray Rice? and people picking Albert over Gaither as a better RT. Funny.

So you say their offense isn't good then say you laugh at people who under appreciated their LT and RB? :hmmm:

kcfanXIII
09-13-2009, 07:38 PM
for the most part they marched down the field on us at will. . we played just like the old chiefs . ..

when i think of the old chiefs, i think a stout, cocky and mean defense. not last year's version.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
then pick a new team to root for. its that easy.

noones calling the chiefs superbowl contenders, we are happy that we didnt get blown out and stayed with a real superbowl contender for 48 minutes. relax.

Fuck you.

You might be happy going 6-27 fuck that. Close games don't mean shit it's the NFL. Take your bullshit somewhere else.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Those teams usually don't give up 500 yards, though.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Fuck you.

You might be happy going 6-27 fuck that. Close games don't mean shit it's the NFL. Take your bullshit somewhere else.

You expect a SB run this year?

riskrevival
09-13-2009, 07:43 PM

they definitely don't have a good WR corps by NFL standards, I don't think top tier material. Probably somewhere in the middle. That TE, Heap, wasnt even projected to start this year with them signing LJ Smith, and he ripped us apart, he barely did anything for them the last 2 seasons. Their QB didn't even average a TD a game (last season) and was 1:1 TD/INT ratio last season. I don't think their offense is that good at all actually, but we sure as hell made some of those guys look like Pro Bowl material.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
You expect a SB run this year?

Where did I say that? I expect the team to not be content with giving up 500 yards and losing every game and if the players shouldn't be content with it neither should the fans who pay their salary. Carl/Herm have pussified this fan base, what once was the best home field advantage is now a bunch of fans content with giving up 500 yards and losing close games.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
they definitely don't have a good WR corps by NFL standards, I don't think top tier material. Probably somewhere in the middle. That TE, Heap, wasnt even projected to start this year with them signing LJ Smith, and he ripped us apart, he barely did anything for them the last 2 seasons. Their QB didn't even average a TD a game (last season) and was 1:1 TD/INT ratio last season. I don't think their offense is that good at all actually, but we sure as hell made some of those guys look like Pro Bowl material.

You still haven't answered my question. Look back.

notorious
09-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Our team looked like dogshit. Over half of the starting roster needs to be turned over before we are going to be competitive every week. That is going to take a couple seasons, at the very least.

BTW moral victories are for Raider Fans. **** moral victories, this isn't pee-wee football.

riskrevival
09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
So you say their offense isn't good then say you laugh at people who under appreciated their LT and RB? :hmmm:

....nobody on this forum underappreciated their LT and RB. I saw a thread made on here with WHO THE F IS RAY RICE as the title and some people thinking the guy wasn't relevant (it took a few users to let these clueless people know that he is a good RB) also saw a bunch of chiefs fans homer to pick their favorite player Albert over a much better tackle in that pick the better player thread between to the two teams. That's not under appreciating anything, people just didn't think either player was good. Because people are idiots.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Where did I say that? I expect the team to not be content with giving up 500 yards and losing every game and if the players shouldn't be content with it neither should the fans who pay their salary. Carl/Herm have pussified this fan base, what once was the best home field advantage is now a bunch of fans content with giving up 500 yards and losing close games.

Who is content? People just thought we would get blown out and we didn't and are pretty please about that fact. This team is so devoid of talent that being tied with 2 minutes left to go in the game with a team that was in the AFC Championship game is a positive thing.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Who the fuck says anybody is content? You think if they go out ang give up a shit ton of yards next week people will be happy? We lost what 7 games by 7 or less last year. Who was fucking content? There is a big difference between being content and acting like it's the end of the fucking world.

That's the problem, some of you geniuses have no middle ground. Period.

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Personaly I think this team is worse than last year if that is possible. The ravens made just enough mistakes to keep us in the game but it was anything but close.

riskrevival
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Personaly I think this team is worse than last year if that is possible. The ravens made just enough mistakes to keep us in the game but it was anything but close.

I agree with this

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Hang on to this thread and post in a few weeks and see how you feel.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Who the **** says anybody is content? You think if they go out ang give up a shit ton of yards next week people will be happy? We lost what 7 games by 7 or less last year. Who was ****ing content? There is a big difference between being content and acting like it's the end of the ****ing world.

That's the problem, some of you geniuses have no middle ground. Period.

Umm if you cant see giving up 500 yards to the Ravens isn't good then I question how much you know about football. It looks like Gailey wasn't the only cordinator who should have been fired. Reguardless a loss is still a loss wether its 14 points or 30 points. Thing is this team has lost so many "close" games it really doesn't matter what the score is. There isn't anything you can build off this game from other then Brodie Croyle can play a whole game and Mike Brown is better then Bernard Pollard.

Coogs
Those teams usually don't give up 500 yards, though.

You know, there are probably a lot of things to nit pick on in this game. But we all knew this makeover is going to take a year or two. So why not enjoy the fact that even though our team did not win a game we were not suppose to win... much less even compete in... we showed something we have not showed in a long time. Heart.

Probably the thing that scares some of you all more than anything is you predicted only 1 to 2 wins maximum this season, and this game scared you because you can see we could actually win more.

Time will tell. You all may be right. We may only win 1 or 2.

But enjoy the fact that our team came within a whisker (the TD play with 2 minutes left) of having a possible chance to do what no one thought they could do, and that was to win a game in Baltimore.

riskrevival
if we don't beat the raiders we have the potential to start 0-5, so I doubt he is going to change in a few weeks.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Umm if you cant see giving up 500 yards to the Ravens isn't good then I question how much you know about football. It looks like Gailey wasn't the only cordinator who should have been fired. Reguardless a loss is still a loss wether its 14 points or 30 points. Thing is this team has lost so many "close" games it really doesn't matter what the score is. There isn't anything you can build off this game from other then Brodie Croyle can play a whole game and Mike Brown is better then Bernard Pollard.

Again, who is content? You dodged the question.

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Hang on to this thread and post in a few weeks and see how you feel.

I hope I see a positive change but from what I've seen in the pre season and today we won't even be competitive this year.

Reaper16
09-13-2009, 07:51 PM

I like you Laz, but that was a terrible take on the defense.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
if we don't beat the raiders we have the potential to start 0-5, so I doubt he is going to change in a few weeks.

I agree that next week is a big game for the moral of this team but hey lets just act like we already lost the game.

Titty Meat
Again, who is content? You dodged the question.

Theres alot of people on this board just read the comments.

WildTurkey
yes we're doomed, we got beat on the road by a playoff team with an amazing defense holy shit we better just give up right now, i thought we were gonna win this one awww shucks:doh!: there goes 16-0

dirk digler
I hope I see a positive change but from what I've seen in the pre season and today we won't even be competitive this year.

being tied with 2 minutes left in the game isn't being competitive? If that isn't competitive I don't know what is.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
The defense sucks because it's a 3-4 defense without a good noseguard and of course no pass rush. Then add the fact the linebackers sucked in coverage and thats a team that will give up 500 yards of offense. Leggett isn't a starting CB neither is Brandon Carr.

WildTurkey
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
being tied with 2 minutes left in the game isn't being competitive? If that isn't competitive I don't know what is.

oh evidently blocked punts dont count so techinically we were still 7 down at that point :shake:

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Theres alot of people on this board just read the comments.

People are content we played with them on the scoreboard the whole game. Nothing wrong with that.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
The defense sucks because it's a 3-4 defense without a good noseguard and of course no pass rush. Then add the fact the linebackers sucked in coverage and thats a team that will give up 500 yards of offense. Leggett isn't a starting CB neither is Brandon Carr.

Now Carr isn't a starting QB? ROFL.

2bikemike
I was surprised the Chiefs were in this game at all. I realize the Ravens had plenty of Fug Ups but IMHO their were some flashes of good. There is no denying it was ugly. Hopefully the O-line will end the revolving door so the guys can begin to gel.

I think we will see improvement over the course of the season.

keg in kc
When I heard Cassel and Flowers were out 5 minutes before the game started, my immediate reaction was "oh well, this game's over." Because heading into today, I didn't think we had much of a chance with them in, and zero with them out.

Well, as it turns out, it was a back-and-forth game that, as ugly as we looked, we were in until very late. So, yeah, I'd call that a little better than expected. I mean, that was a complete reversal from Chiefs teams I'm used to seeing. They were getting rolled and still finding ways to stay in the game, instead of finding ways to help the other team roll them even...uh, rollier.

Tough team, hard to put away. Not what I expected at noon.

dirk digler
oh evidently blocked punts dont count so techinically we were still 7 down at that point :shake:

no no anything good the Chiefs do doesn't count or we are lucky. Every game we should get blown out 42-0

DBOSHO
09-13-2009, 07:57 PM
**** you.

You might be happy going 6-27 **** that. Close games don't mean shit it's the NFL. Take your bullshit somewhere else.

so root for another team dumdum

yes im superhappy that weve lost 24 of the last 26 games.

donkhater

Well, this game certainly looked like the Carolina game from last season. The offense was stagnant and the defense didn't stop anyone. This team showed effort and it translated on the field. That's why there is optimism.

Only three penalties and no turnovers. This team didn't beat itself. There is no doubt in my mind that Cassel wil make a HUGE difference at QB. He has much more command of the offense and is worlds more accurate than eithe Croyle or Thigpen.

Last year, Gailey was able to squeeze a little offense out of the team so the other team didn't run 85 plays. 85 PLAYS. I fully expect Cassel to give this team a lift and be very competitive in a majority of the games they play this year. That in no way is worse than last year.

riskrevival
I agree that next week is a big game for the moral of this team but hey lets just act like we already lost the game.

i'd rather act like we already lost the game, so if we do win it will be a shock, yes even against the Raiders. if I'm thinking we are better than the Raiders (which I think most of you on this forum think) going into the game this week, and we end up losing... that will be the most depressing reality some of you have to come to, as die hard Chiefs fans I know we all hate losing to teams like the Raiders, so I'm expecting it for the next 7 days instead of just having it all jumbled into that one Sunday if we do lose.

Reaper16
09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I think you overrate the quality of CB play around the league. Carr is a fine starter. You could upgrade, yeah, but he's far from being a problem.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
i'd rather act like we already lost the game, so if we do win it will be a shock, yes even against the Raiders. if I'm thinking we are better than the Raiders (which I think most of you on this forum think) going into the game this week, and we end up losing... that will be the most depressing reality some of you have to come to, as die hard Chiefs fans I know we all hate losing to teams like the Raiders, so I'm expecting it for the next 7 days instead of just having it all jumbled into that one Sunday if we do lose.

Great, lower your expectations and you wont get all butthurt.

riskrevival
09-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Great, lower your expectations and you wont get all butthurt.

pretty much that's how you have to cheer for your favorite sports teams when they are in the shitter

keg in kc
09-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I think you overrate the quality of CB play around the league. Carr is a fine starter. You could upgrade, yeah, but he's far from being a problem.There's a reason the best cornerbacks all have the ability to come back on the next series after they get burned. 'cause they all get burned. It happens. You move on.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 08:01 PM
When I heard Cassel and Flowers were out 5 minutes before the game started, my immediate reaction was "oh well, this game's over." Because heading into today, I didn't think we had much of a chance with them in, and zero with them out.

Well, as it turns out, it was a back-and-forth game that, as ugly as we looked, we were in until very late. So, yeah, I'd call that a little better than expected. I mean, that was a complete reversal from Chiefs teams I'm used to seeing. They were getting rolled and still finding ways to stay in the game, instead of finding ways to help the other team roll them even...uh, rollier.

Yup, they just need to show its a pattern not an exception. We did the same thing week 1 last year and I understand that. Unlike some here I'm not going to expect that it is an exception to the rule and believe it's because of better coaching (though Haley could have done better calling plays and I think he will) and they will get better from here rather than worse like last year.

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 08:05 PM

giving up 500 yards and generating only 200 is not competing. The fact that the score stayed close had more to do with the Ravens mistakes than our good play.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Yep. That is pretty exactly how I felt at the beginning of the game and after the game.

Great post keg

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 08:06 PM
giving up 500 yards and generating only 200 is not competing. The fact that the score stayed close had more to do with the Ravens mistakes than our good play.

Good God. Bang Head.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:09 PM

So what did they do stand around on the field with their thumb up their ass?

JFC

RippedmyFlesh
09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Yup, they just need to show its a pattern not an exception. We did the same thing week 1 last year and I understand that. Unlike some here I'm not going to expect that it is an exception to the rule and believe it's because of better coaching (though Haley could have done better calling plays and I think he will) and they will get better from here rather than worse like last year.
I believe that also. Everything went down hill last year after NE. At least this year I have hope of improvement.

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
So what did they do stand around on the field with their thumb up their ass?

JFC

No I believe that was the Ravens foot

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:12 PM
No I believe that was the Ravens foot

LMAO Touche

Bwana
09-13-2009, 08:13 PM
I have zero problem with the way the Chiefs played today. You could tell there was a lot more fire with Todd than there was with Herm as coach.

RippedmyFlesh
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
giving up 500 yards and generating only 200 is not competing. The fact that the score stayed close had more to do with the chiefs having a real coach instead of a perplexed herm staring off into space when things started going wrong.
fyp

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/01/05/herm.edwards/herman-edwards.jpg

WildTurkey
09-13-2009, 08:19 PM
fyp

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/01/05/herm.edwards/herman-edwards.jpg

rep ROFL

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 08:19 PM
fyp

Haley did abandon the r2p2 after 3 1/2 quarters of futility I guess so that's something.

RippedmyFlesh
09-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Haley did abandon the r2p2 after 3 1/2 quarters of futility I guess so that's something.
I am not saying he was perfect but didn't the play calling make you feel like you were pulling for a real team again? Harbaugh made mistakes he should have challenged a couple of plays. I saw at the very least the coaching was even. Been at least 3 years since I felt that way,

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I know we lost today but I am glad Carl and Herm are gone and we have Haley and Pioli here now because I think there is a legit plan in place to get this team back to the playoffs and to a SB.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
You know, there are probably a lot of things to nit pick on in this game. But we all knew this makeover is going to take a year or two. So why not enjoy the fact that even though our team did not win a game we were not suppose to win... much less even compete in... we showed something we have not showed in a long time. Heart.

Probably the thing that scares some of you all more than anything is you predicted only 1 to 2 wins maximum this season, and this game scared you because you can see we could actually win more.

Time will tell. You all may be right. We may only win 1 or 2.

But enjoy the fact that our team came within a whisker (the TD play with 2 minutes left) of having a possible chance to do what no one thought they could do, and that was to win a game in Baltimore.

I'm sorry but this is idiotic.

You can't project into the future and say, "Well, we all knew this would take a while".

They sucked today. The offense put up 17 points which in most weeks will get you beat.

The defense gave up 500 yards and 38 points (could have been 41). 99% of the time, you lose that gave.

I don't care about next year or the year after when evaluating the Chiefs THIS YEAR.

keg in kc
09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Haley did abandon the r2p2 after 3 1/2 quarters of futility I guess so that's something.Yeah, I expected them to air it out against a top-5 defense on the road with a backup quarterback who can't make it through a game without getting hurt behind a swiss-cheese o-line. I don't know what he was thinking.

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I am not saying he was perfect but didn't the play calling make you feel like you were pulling for a real team again? Harbaugh made mistakes he should have challenged a couple of plays. I saw at the very least the coaching was even. Been at least 3 years since I felt that way,

The positives to me were that we played smart and kept the penalties to a minimum. The negatives are obvious lack of talent. Along with lack of talent the defense is not adjusted to the 3-4 yet. Hopefully we will fix the talent problem in the next couple of offseasons.

Coogs
09-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry but this is idiotic.

You can't project into the future and say, "Well, we all knew this would take a while".

They sucked today. The offense put up 17 points which in most weeks will get you beat.

The defense gave up 500 yards and 38 points (could have been 41). 99% of the time, you lose that gave.

I don't care about next year or the year after when evaluating the Chiefs THIS YEAR.

You're scared aren't you Dane? :D

RippedmyFlesh
09-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Brodie made it through this game in 1 piece which would not have happened during previous regime.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:31 PM
The positives to me were that we played smart and kept the penalties to a minimum. The negatives are obvious lack of talent. Along with lack of talent the defense is not adjusted to the 3-4 yet. Hopefully we will fix the talent problem in the next couple of offseasons.

I totally agree and that has been my point every since the game was over. We competed hard all the while being severely over matched talent wise. That is why I feel positive about this game we could have easily got beaten by 30 points but we didn't we fought hard and had a chance to win in the end.

stevieray
09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
You're scared aren't you Dane? :Dit's playing boths sides..it's proclaiming the team sucks, then holding them to an unrealistic standard ro reinforce they they suck.

Coogs
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
it's playing boths sides..it's proclaiming the team sucks, then holding them to an unrealistic standard ro reinforce they they suck.

Yep!

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I know we lost today but I am glad Carl and Herm are gone and we have Haley and Pioli here now because I think there is a legit plan in place to get this team back to the playoffs and to a SB.

And this is basically the entire logic behind the "today was a success" crowd.

I saw a few good things from today:
1) We played hard
2) We weren't sucking wind
3) Croyle played well
4) Our kicker displayed a huge leg

Other than that, I don't know what you could take from being outgained 2.5-1 and losing by two TDs when you had a blocked punt and a 70 yard INT return in the same game.

From a luck standpoint, there's literally nothing else you could reasonably ask for.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
it's playing boths sides..it's proclaiming the team sucks, then holding them to an unrealistic standard ro reinforce they they suck.

I finally agree with Stevie on something!! It's a miracle :p

Dark Horse
09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I expected them to air it out against a top-5 defense on the road with a backup quarterback who can't make it through a game without getting hurt behind a swiss-cheese o-line. I don't know what he was thinking.

when you play a team on the road who no one thinks you can beat and your defense would make swiss cheese look airtight. And your oline gets pushed around by a blocking sled. You better pull out all the stops, after all you got nothing to lose.

notorious
09-13-2009, 08:40 PM
when you play a team on the road who no one thinks you can beat and your defense would make swiss cheese look airtight. And your oline gets pushed around by a blocking sled. You better pull out all the stops, after all you got nothing to lose.

Bu Bu Bu But we had a moral victory to protect! We have to send the team and fans home feeling good about themselves!

notorious
09-13-2009, 08:40 PM
The only drive that looked good was when they pulled the stops out and threw the ball.

RippedmyFlesh
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM

1) We played hard
3) Croyle played well

Other than that, I don't know what you could take from being outgained 2.5-1 and losing by two TDs when you had a blocked punt and a 70 yard INT return in the same game.

From a luck standpoint, there's literally nothing else you could reasonably ask for.

Today was not a success.There is still a talent void. But at least this was a better coached team than it has been in a while which is where the feel good may be coming from. Haley was not perfect but he wasn't terrible neither. He will get better as a coach ...ever held out hope herm would get better?

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM

1) We played hard
3) Croyle played well

Maybe it comes to the level of expectation being exceeded why I feel so positive.

Who would have thought 24 hrs ago the Chiefs would be tied with the Ravens with 2 minutes left to go in the game? Probably no one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Maybe it comes to the level of expectation being exceeded why I feel so positive.

Who would have thought 24 hrs ago the Chiefs would be tied with the Ravens with 2 minutes left to go in the game? Probably no one.

dirk, you have to think about how the events of today portend for the future, you can't just assume that because "a" happened today, it will happen 15 more times.

We aren't going to have 16 blocked punts or 16 70 yard pick returns.

I know it was nice to see the scoreboard say 24-24 with little time left, but you also need to look up and see

500-200 total yards
85-44 total plays
2-10 on third down O
10-17 on third down D (including 7 conversions on 3rd and 7 or longer)

Someone really needs to bump the Chiefs-Pats game from last year, because there is a serious lack of perspective here.

dugedug62
09-13-2009, 08:48 PM
They exceeded my expectations, just beat the raiduhs next game and give me some hope for the rest of the season.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 08:57 PM
dirk, you have to think about how the events of today portend for the future, you can't just assume that because "a" happened today, it will happen 15 more times.

We aren't going to have 16 blocked punts or 16 70 yard pick returns.

I know it was nice to see the scoreboard say 24-24 with little time left, but you also need to look up and see

500-200 total yards
85-44 total plays
2-10 on third down O
10-17 on third down D (including 7 conversions on 3rd and 7 or longer)

Someone really needs to bump the Chiefs-Pats game from last year, because there is a serious lack of perspective here.

Of course not. But we also aren't going to be facing this type of defense on the road again though we will be facing 2 equally or better defenses at home (NYG and the Steelers).

And hopefully we won't be playing without our 2 best players on the team anytime soon.

I am happy they competed and had a shot to win it. Does that mean we are close to being a good team? No. This team has a serious lack of talent on it that will take 2-3 more years to fill it completely. I predicted they will win 4-5 games this year and I haven't seen anything to change my mind on that.

As far as the Pats game goes at least for me I knew that was a fluke because Brady got knocked out. I was actually rooting for a blowout because I wanted Herm and Carl embarrassed so they could get shit canned.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Of course not. But we also aren't going to be facing this type of defense on the road again though we will be facing 2 equally or better defenses at home (NYG and the Steelers).

And hopefully we won't be playing without our 2 best players on the team anytime soon.

I am happy they competed and had a shot to win it. Does that mean we are close to being a good team? No. This team has a serious lack of talent on it that will take 2-3 more years to fill it completely. I predicted they will win 4-5 games this year and I haven't seen anything to change my mind on that.

As far as the Pats game goes at least for me I knew that was a fluke because Brady got knocked out. I was actually rooting for a blowout because I wanted Herm and Carl embarrassed so they could get shit canned.

In the words of Winston Wolf, "let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet".

I remember a 4-12 Chiefs team going into San Diego and beating the Chargers, taking the 13-3 Packers to the limit, and taking the Colts to the wire in Indianapolis.

I also remember a 2-14 Chiefs team damn near beat the division winner twice, and taking Tampa and the Jets down to the wire.

I think this game has a lot more to do with the perceived effort and the fact that it was done under a new regime than anything else.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
fyp

This will be the topic of Whitlock's column.

Chiefs fans are content with the Chiefs losing in Baltimore because Herm Edwards (the black coach that doesn't speak perfect English) has been fired.

Even though the results are the same.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
In the words of Winston Wolf, "let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet".

I remember a 4-12 Chiefs team going into San Diego and beating the Chargers, taking the 13-3 Packers to the limit, and taking the Colts to the wire in Indianapolis.

I also remember a 2-14 Chiefs team damn near beat the division winner twice, and taking Tampa and the Jets down to the wire.

I think this game has a lot more to do with the perceived effort and the fact that it was done under a new regime than anything else.

As I said I didn't think they would win this game and I thought once Cassel was out they would get blown out

So Hamas and Dane what did you expect out of this team today?

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
You're such a hater. DJ has made plays in critical moments before.

You're right. I don't like DJ.

He was a terrible draft choice and he's done nothing to live up to his position.

Unless the guy turns into Bart Scott overnight, I'll never like him.

Especially considering who we passed on.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2009, 09:13 PM
As I said I didn't think they would win this game and I thought once Cassel was out they would get blown out

I expected exactly what we got.

A defense that got shredded, an inept offense and good special teams.

The Chiefs play wasn't exactly a shock. This is exactly how 14 games ended last year.

And 12 the year before.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 09:14 PM

That's not the problem...the problem is this one game caused a huge pendulum like swing in expectations so the same people praising today will be going apeshit next week.

Hamas is simply telling some people to calm down look at what happened because all you're doing is setting yourself up to be pissed.

That's my view also.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
I expected exactly what we got.

A defense that got shredded, an inept offense and good special teams.

The Chiefs play wasn't exactly a shock. This is exactly how 14 games ended last year.

And 12 the year before.

Well last year all 3 areas sucked so at least we have improved 1 area :D

That's not the problem...the problem is this one game caused a huge pendulum like swing in expectations so the same people praising today will be going apeshit next week.

Hamas is simply telling some people to calm down look at what happened because all you're doing is setting yourself up to be pissed.

That's my view also.

I am not going to get pissed I predicted 4-5 wins so I could see losing to the Raiders next week. I hope we don't but it wouldn't shock me. As long as I see this team keep improving week in and week out I am not going to get all that upset it is not like I thought we are playoff bound or anything.

FAX
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Since I was unable to watch the game, I really have no business in this conversation. Still, I would like to make one comment/observation ...

I'm not sure we should be focusing on statistics. Yards gained, yards surrendered, points allowed or scored ... at this point, it's all pretty meaningless. We are a team relatively devoid of talent. Skill- and experience-wise, we simply don't match up with the elite teams in the league - or, perhaps, even the average ones. Instead, I think we should be looking for things like coaching and general team attitude and how the team approaches the game. For example, was the playcalling innovative? Were we aggressive or passive? Were the coaches teaching on the sideline or handing out Gatorade? Were we attacking on defense or laying back? Did the team fight until the last whistle? Or did we take plays off? Did we tire in the fourth quarter? Or, were we still spirited? How did the players take the loss? Did they shrug it off Herm style? Or, were they pissed?

Those are the kind of things about which I think we should be concerned. Eventually, we'll find and acquire more talented players (we'll have to). In the meantime, are we building the foundation of a winning team or are we still aspiring to doormat status? Those are the kinds of questions these games need to answer.

FAX

aturnis
09-13-2009, 09:27 PM

Yeah...not to mentions a pretty damn good o-line. Also, the Ravens execute the screen about as well as any team in the league, so I wouldn't bag on the Chiefs about that too bad. Look for them to roll up a lot of stats that way this year.

CosmicPal
09-13-2009, 09:29 PM
For example, was the playcalling innovative? Were we aggressive or passive? Were the coaches teaching on the sideline or handing out Gatorade? Were we attacking on defense or laying back? Did the team fight until the last whistle? Or did we take plays off? Did we tire in the fourth quarter? Or, were we still spirited? How did the players take the loss? Did they shrug it off Herm style? Or, were they pissed?

Gawddamn those are a lot of questions.

:D

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Since I was unable to watch the game, I really have no business in this conversation. Still, I would like to make one comment/observation ...

I'm not sure we should be focusing on statistics. Yards gained, yards surrendered, points allowed or scored ... at this point, it's all pretty meaningless. We are a team relatively devoid of talent. Skill- and experience-wise, we simply don't match up with the elite teams in the league - or, perhaps, even the average ones. Instead, I think we should be looking for things like coaching and general team attitude and how the team approaches the game. For example, was the playcalling innovative? Were we aggressive or passive? Were the coaches teaching on the sideline or handing out Gatorade? Were we attacking on defense or laying back? Did the team fight until the last whistle? Or did we take plays off? Did we tire in the fourth quarter? Or, were we still spirited? How did the players take the loss? Did they shrug it off Herm style? Or, were they pissed?

Those are the kind of things about which I think we should be concerned. Eventually, we'll find and acquire more talented players (we'll have to). In the meantime, are we building the foundation of a winning team or are we still aspiring to doormat status? Those are the kinds of questions these games need to answer.

FAX

You know Fax you pretty much nailed that.

To answer your questions the coaching and attitude was alot better from my perspective. They came out prepared and focused and played smart. Only 3 penalities for 15 yds and no turnovers.

The playcalling was pretty conservative considering Croyle was playing and Haley said that was by design. He told the team they were going to have to play this game ugly and they did that.

The team did fight until the very last whistle even though the D was gassed after being on the field for 40 minutes. I don't know about the players being pissed I guess I will wait and see the interviews.

But your analysis on how to judge this team is spot on and I think we are moving in the right direction.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 09:34 PM

FAX

Good points.

So let's focus on the most pressure filled moments in the game, the closing two minutes of each half where the Chiefs were faced with critical situations.

Isolating these two points, where coaching and all of the intangibles come to the fore, did the Chiefs excel or disappoint? Question directed at the CP masses...

My take:

I see nothing but positive things, lest I be considered the tragic voice.

In the first half, we didn't go into a shell. We were conserving Croyle's arm strength for future lead-changing opportunities.

In the second half, it's not that Croyle pissed himself or that the team look ill-prepared to engineer a game-tying drive. We were simply playing it close to the vest to confuse an upcoming division rival.

RedThat
09-13-2009, 09:45 PM
You know Fax you pretty much nailed that.

To answer your questions the coaching and attitude was alot better from my perspective. They came out prepared and focused and played smart. Only 3 penalities for 15 yds and no turnovers.

The playcalling was pretty conservative considering Croyle was playing and Haley said that was by design. He told the team they were going to have to play this game ugly and they did that.

The team did fight until the very last whistle even though the D was gassed after being on the field for 40 minutes. I don't know about the players being pissed I guess I will wait and see the interviews.

But your analysis on how to judge this team is spot on and I think we are moving in the right direction.

And this was the part that really impressed me the most , and a big reason why they were in the game today.

If a team can show discipline by not taking penalties thats part of a winning formula.

And if a team shows they can force turnovers, and not turn the ballover themselves that also is part of a winning formula.

I hope we're consistent in those areas throughout the season. If we are those little things will help us win games. Thats a good job byTodd Haley.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Good points.

So let's focus on the most pressure filled moments in the game, the closing two minutes of each half where the Chiefs were faced with critical situations.

Isolating these two points, where coaching and all of the intangibles come to the fore, did the Chiefs excel or disappoint? Question directed at the CP masses...

My take:

I see nothing but positive things, lest I be considered the tragic voice.

In the first half, we didn't go into a shell. We were conserving Croyle's arm strength for future lead-changing opportunities.

In the second half, it's not that Croyle pissed himself or that the team look ill-prepared to engineer a game-tying drive. We were simply playing it close to the vest to confuse an upcoming division rival.

Edit: I can't tell you are being serious or just fucking around. At first I thought you were serious but now I don't know

Mecca
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Well last year all 3 areas sucked so at least we have improved 1 area :D

I am not going to get pissed I predicted 4-5 wins so I could see losing to the Raiders next week. I hope we don't but it wouldn't shock me. As long as I see this team keep improving week in and week out I am not going to get all that upset it is not like I thought we are playoff bound or anything.

I guarantee you the same people that are positive today will be losing their fucking minds if the team loses next weekend.

Perspective swings way to swiftly around here.

Marcellus
09-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I guarantee you the same people that are positive today will be losing their fucking minds if the team loses next weekend.

Perspective swings way to swiftly around here.

That's true on one end but the negative perspective never changes. Chiefs can win by 20 and some will say it's just the Raiders.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I think you guys are both right. If we lose we suck if we win well it is only the Raiders.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Pretty much what I saw, sans the miraculous plays. I knew we'd play hard, but people are overlooking how fucking bad we looked before that blocked punt. That TD pass to McGahee was one of the most embarrassing plays I've ever seen from any Chiefs defense, ever.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 09:56 PM
People need to have perspective, you shouldn't be getting really high or low with each game this isn't a team to live and die with each week they aren't good enough for that..

Everyone needs to chill and look at positive and negative. The Chiefs made a couple of big plays but also got dominated in the game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
We did not come out focused at all. Our defense got shredded the first two drives, and our offense came out with their head in the sand. Anyone who says we came out focused and prepared is taking the blip of hope they saw in Q3 and 4 and extrapolating it out to the entire game.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Pretty much what I saw, sans the miraculous plays. I knew we'd play hard, but people are overlooking how fucking bad we looked before that blocked punt. That TD pass to McGahee was one of the most embarrassing plays I've ever seen from any Chiefs defense, ever.

Ever? No fucking way.

I remember that play against the Giants where we missed like 15 tackles and they scored. Now that was embarrassing and that was played over and over again with everyone laughing at us.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Every single team this year is going to hammer the run, throw it to the TE and dump it the backs the Chiefs can't stop those things...and that sets up deep balls unless the Chiefs refuse to bring the guys up which lets them keep doing what they're doing.

09-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I love it. Somebody wants to see some positive in the game and gets shot down. Nice.

At least Laz is seeing a glass half full.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I love it. Somebody wants to see some positive in the game and gets shot down. Nice.

Saying the defense was decent is extremely nice though..500 yards, 85 plays, couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Saying the defense was decent is extremely nice though..500 yards, 85 plays, couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.Thats not the point and you know it.

EDIT

I feel much better about this loss than any of our wins last year.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Thats not the point and you know it.

I'm honestly not sure what the positives were I didn't see anything to build on.

They got bitch slapped up and down the field on both sides of the ball and they got 2 miraculous big plays that won't happen every week.

I'd have rather seen them show good 3rd down d something like that that's something to build on for a season.

stevieray
09-13-2009, 10:08 PM

as is the Talking Can...

it's going to be a fun season.....Arrowhead will be rocking next Sunday.

09-13-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm honestly not sure what the positives were I didn't see anything to build on.

They got bitch slapped up and down the field on both sides of the ball and they got 2 miraculous big plays that won't happen every week.

I'd have rather seen them show good 3rd down d something like that that's something to build on for a season.I guess the score being 24-24 LATE in the game meant shit to you. I don't care how ugly it was. We were there at the end. Thats more important to me right now.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
We did not come out focused at all. Our defense got shredded the first two drives, and our offense came out with their head in the sand. Anyone who says we came out focused and prepared is taking the blip of hope they saw in Q3 and 4 and extrapolating it out to the entire game.

It's interesting to look back through the early part of the game thread. People were simply blistering the team and the pathetic showing of the defense, particularly on the WM TD catch.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I guess the score being 24-24 LATE in the game meant shit to you. I don't care how ugly it was. We were there at the end. Thats more important to me right now.

Unless you think the team is going to block a punt every game there is more to the game than just the score.

The Chiefs were dominated all day. I wanted to see the Chiefs do a couple things this year which would show something for the future...number one the defense atleast has a ok pass rush, number 2 they get off the field on 3rd down, number 3 they atleast show some semblance of the ability to run block and run the ball.

I'd say defend the run but I don't see that happening with this personnel on the field.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Ever? No fucking way.

Jesus, dirk, what the fuck happened to you?

I didn't say the single most embarrassing play ever, I said one of.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Jesus, dirk, what the fuck happened to you?

I didn't say the single most embarrassing play ever, I said one of.

Sorry it is late. I don't know even if it is one of. It seems like I have seen a similar like play happening to this team the last 2 years at least.

FloridaMan88
09-13-2009, 10:25 PM
It's not like the Chiefs are Idaho State going up against Oklahoma... theoretically they are supposed to be an NFL team. That is why I have a hard time with "moral victories" after losing by 2 TDs (and I don't care that the two TDs came in the final few minutes).

It would be nice to see the Chiefs get back to being competitive again so that a 14 point loss will not be acceptable.

09-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Unless you think the team is going to block a punt every game there is more to the game than just the score.

The Chiefs were dominated all day. I wanted to see the Chiefs do a couple things this year which would show something for the future...number one the defense atleast has a ok pass rush, number 2 they get off the field on 3rd down, number 3 they atleast show some semblance of the ability to run block and run the ball.

I'd say defend the run but I don't see that happening with this personnel on the field.Again, I don't necessarily disagree. But for the Chiefs to be in this game, against that team, that late in the fourth still means something to me.

Titty Meat
09-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Every single team this year is going to hammer the run, throw it to the TE and dump it the backs the Chiefs can't stop those things...and that sets up deep balls unless the Chiefs refuse to bring the guys up which lets them keep doing what they're doing.

Hows that different then every other season?