PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Hard to know what to think after weird Chiefs game

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Hard to know what to think after weird Chiefs game (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1443761.html)
JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

BALTIMORE | Draw any conclusion you like from the Chiefs’ season-opening, 38-24 loss to the Ravens.

The Chiefs were more competitive than you expected. Kansas City’s defense was an embarrassment. KC’s defense was undermined by an offensive unit that couldn’t sustain anything for three quarters. Things will improve when Matt Cassel is healthy enough to play.

Take your pick. They can all be defended. There’s at least a kernel of truth in whatever conclusion you reached after one of the weirdest games of the football weekend.

The bottom line is: The Baltimore Ravens are Super Bowl contenders, and in the fourth quarter, Brodie Croyle and the Chiefs’ offense took the field with 2 minutes to play and the outcome undecided.

I never dreamed it possible. Not even at halftime, when the Chiefs trailed just 10-7 on the scoreboard, 12-3 in first downs, 215-56 in total yards and 20-10 in time of possession.

When the Chiefs climbed to a 14-10 advantage midway through the third quarter — thanks to a 70-yard Derrick Johnson interception return — I stilled envisioned the Ravens winning a laugher.

But about the time Kansas City’s luck ran out, head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Todd Haley loosened the reins on Croyle, trusted his offensive line to keep Croyle dry and began challenging a Baltimore defense that had grown lackadaisical.

The Chiefs scored 10 points in the first 7 minutes of the fourth quarter, amassing 131 of their 188 total yards of offense in two fourth-quarter series.

Unfortunately, once Haley conquered his fear of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, the surprisingly pass-happy Ravens were ready to cash in on their game-long offensive dominance. Baltimore scored 21 points in the fourth.

With the score tied 24-24, Joe Flacco caught the Chiefs in an all-out blitz and lofted a lovely 31-yard floater to Mark Clayton for six points. Game over.

The Ravens, a ball-control, running team throughout their abbreviated history, threw the ball 43 times on Sunday. During the offseason, head coach John Harbaugh hired Al Saunders (former Chiefs offensive coordinator) as an offensive consultant. It was easy to see Saunders’s influence.

Baltimore’s passing game caught the Chiefs totally by surprise.

“I would say,” linebacker Mike Vrabel acknowledged, “we had planned for a running game.”

The exotic, well-timed blitzes that had highlighted Clancy Pendergast’s preseason defense were left in the playbook or ineffective because of Baltimore’s willingness to throw on first, second and third down.

In the first half, the Ravens threw it 25 times and ran it 13. They moved the ball with ease but failed to finish drives in the red zone. In the second half, particularly in the fourth quarter, every play in the Baltimore playbook seemed to work. Ray Rice and Willis McGahee led a ground game that produced 198 yards. Flacco threw for 307.

The Ravens ran 85 offensive plays. The Chiefs ran 44.

The Chiefs blocked a punt for a TD, and Derrick Johnson set up a short TD drive for the Chiefs with his interception return. Pathetic Kansas City defense wasn’t the only reason for the 40-20 time-of-possession disparity.

“We probably got worn out,” Haley said of his defense.

Haley’s players declined to use fatigue as an excuse.

“That’s why we did all of that conditioning (during the offseason),” middle linebacker Corey Mays said. “We have to do a better job of getting ourselves off the field.”

Vrabel said: “Giving up 500 yards of offense is ridiculous.”

Defensive tackle Tank Tyler added: “When our offense scores and puts us in the lead, our mentality has to go up another level. We can’t let them score after that. Our momentum has to be out of this world.”

Maybe the Chiefs can build momentum off this defeat. Haley said he saw positives in their performance, especially the lack of penalties and turnovers.

“We played the game the way that I thought we had to play it,” Haley said. “There are some things I look at coming out of Baltimore and feel like we’re making progress.”

Herm Edwards saw all the same things when the Chiefs left New England last year. Thirteen losses later, Herm saw a pink slip.

I am not predicting a 14-loss season. I’m simply repeating that Sunday’s opener is up for multiple interpretations. Mine is no better than yours.

Mecca
09-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I think that's probably alot more fair than everyone was expecting.

Simplex3
09-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Some might call it 'backpedaling'.

Mecca

Ah so even if he's fair he can't win.

DeezNutz
My interpretation is that I have none. /JW/

Brilliant. And gutless.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Haley said he saw positives in their performance, especially the lack of penalties and turnovers.

Herm, is that you?

Mecca
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Brilliant. And gutless.

No matter what he says someone is going to say it sucks hes this and that it's kind of like when I post.

09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I think that's probably alot more fair than everyone was expecting.That was very surprising from Whit.

I like that the players aren't making excuses too.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM

Brilliant. And gutless.

Yeah. Shitty, JW.

Shitty.

You're paid to have an opinion, not the absence of one accompanied by game recap bullshit.

I AM INFURIATED!

http://i30.tinypic.com/2r2sxee.jpg

Silock
09-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Those people are racists.

JUST KIDDING.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 10:26 PM
No matter what he says someone is going to say it sucks hes this and that it's kind of like when I post.

Goes with the territory for great scribes like Whitlock and yourself...

But, just as you keep firing off opinions, so, too, does JW, and he pussyfooted this fucking column.

Fail.

Bring it or don't write it, Jason.

dirk digler
09-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Herm, is that you?

I don't ever remember Herm saying that but maybe he did.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2009, 10:28 PM

But, just as you keep firing off opinions, so, too, does JW, and he pussyfooted this fucking column.

Fail.

I would imagine Jason, being a large individual, is often tired after attending road games on the coast, and has not the heart to bash the Chiefs after gorging himself on crab cakes.

He'd rather cough up a few quotes, litter in a few stats and say "meh."

Mecca
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM

Fail.

Now that is true, if I wrote it I would have fired out an opinion.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't ever remember Herm saying that but maybe he did.

It's Hermesque.

"Yeah, we didn't gain a lot of yards, but we kept our penalties down and protected the football. Like I always say, you do those things you give yourself a chance to win in the fourth quarter. We just gotta make a play in the fourth quarter. I put us in a position to win, now the players gotta go make a play!"

T-post Tom
09-13-2009, 10:31 PM

That's about right.

DeezNutz
09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I would imagine Jason, being a large individual, is often tired after attending road games on the coast, and has not the heart to bash the Chiefs after gorging himself on crab cakes.

I picture Jason trying to bang out this column, staring at his computer with a look akin to the one that Robinson wore on the sideline of the '03 Colts playoff game:

"I don't know what the fuck to do!!!"

Alomar shrub: find it, brush it, love it.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I picture Jason trying to bang out this column, staring at his computer with a look akin to the one that Robinson wore on the sideline of the '03 Colts playoff game:

"I don't know what the fuck to do!!!"

Alomar shrub: find it, brush it, love it.

I picture him dreaming about crab cakes and transcribing furiously from the box score and his hastily scribbled quotes.

Also, I don't picture him using a netbook. Tiny keys, you know?

CaliforniaChief
09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I thought it was a massive improvement from yesterday's. Then again, he could have written an Egoli haiku and it would have been a step up.

His article represents our reactions to the game. Some of us are pissed and feel like it's no different. Others see improvement and hope for the season. There are a lot of ways to view how things went.

In my view, it shows us to be a 5-6 win team...but we are so used to utter despair and had set ourselves up for such a massacre that when it didn't happen, it left many of us feeling better about things.

For me, next week will be very telling.

tonyetony
09-13-2009, 11:38 PM
The players quotes were the best he had to offer, hell that's all he had to offer.

kcxiv
09-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Eh, i think this is a good article, better then his last few. I dont really know what to think either. Its like more of a wait a few more games to see if this team can gel a little on offense and defense.

This one was certainly a head scratcher. Last year we took Brady out. This year, they were full strength and we were down a few starters.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2009, 06:16 AM

Agreed.

Thats more like it. Its really hard to draw any sort of conclusions after yesterdays game.

jidar
09-14-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm not going to blame Whitlock for not knowing what the hell to say about this team because I don't really know either.
I guess it's his job though.

stevieray
09-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Whitlock can spell too correctly.

Fat Elvis
09-14-2009, 07:48 AM

At least he made it out of his mother's basement.

RINGLEADER
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
My interpretation is that the Chiefs will be better at the end of the season then they are now.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Agreed.

Thats more like it. Its really hard to draw any sort of conclusions after yesterdays game.

I disagree.

The Ravens played a sloppy game. Too many penalties, too many overthrown and dropped passes, a missed field goal and two turnovers. They scored 38 points and won by 14.

The Chiefs played their asses off. They committed very few penalties, scored on special teams, the defense set up a short touchdown and a fourth year, second string QB was forced into the lineup at the last minute. They scored 24 points total and lost by 14.

What that tells me is what I've been saying all offseason: The Chiefs will be very well conditioned and very well coached. Haley will manage the clock well.

But the Chiefs just don't have enough talent to win week in and week out. The Chiefs will need contributions from every aspect of their football team to win a game this season. Offense, defense and special teams.

Yesterday, the offense just wasn't good enough. Let's hope they improve.

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I disagree.

The Ravens played a sloppy game. Too many penalties, too many overthrown and dropped passes, a missed field goal and two turnovers. They scored 38 points and won by 14.

The Chiefs played their asses off. They committed very few penalties, scored on special teams, the defense set up a short touchdown and a fourth year, second string QB was forced into the lineup at the last minute. They scored 24 points total and lost by 14.

What that tells me is what I've been saying all offseason: The Chiefs will be very well conditioned and very well coached. Haley will manage the clock well.

But the Chiefs just don't have enough talent to win week in and week out. The Chiefs will need contributions from every aspect of their football team to win a game this season. Offense, defense and special teams.

Great post.

It really underscores the lack of talent this team has. They did EVERYTHING right. They blocked a punt for a TD, they got a long INT return, they had virtually no bad mistakes in terms of game management or penalties (other than the "snap the fucking ball" timeout) and yet they lost.

HemiEd
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I disagree.

I wasn't near as dissapointed in the Offense, as I was in the Defense. Guess I was wrong, but I expected to see a respectable defense, applying some pressure. They didn't, they sucked.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I disagree.

Esto.

Reerun_KC
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I disagree.

Great Post...

So why is everyone already to just forfeit the season?

They are so void of talent but yet coaching was 1000x's better than anything we saw last 3 years... They will get better and this team will win football games..

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I wasn't near as dissapointed in the Offense, as I was in the Defense. Guess I was wrong, but I expected to see a respectable defense, applying some pressure. They didn't, they sucked.

They're really not that far away in terms of the players they need to be respectable (they're still a LONG ways from being "good"). They're just SO bad up the middle that it amplifies all of their other problems. It's not a linear progression when the middle of the defense is as bad as ours. They'll make a couple of changes in the future and the defense will just jump up the ranks.

Just adding a better ILB and an athletic safety could make a HUGE difference.

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Great Post...

So why is everyone already to just forfeit the season?

They are so void of talent but yet coaching was 1000x's better than anything we saw last 3 years... They will get better and this team will win football games..

Based on what I saw yesterday, I think the Chiefs may surprise a few people this year, for good and for bad.

I still say they win 5 (probably less) but they're going to win a couple that nobody expected and they might lose a couple that should have been wins (cough, cough, this coming Sunday)...

Mr. Laz
09-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Based on what I saw yesterday, I think the Chiefs may surprise a few people this year, for good and for bad.

I still say they win 5 (probably less) but they're going to win a couple that nobody expected and they might lose a couple that should have been wins (cough, cough, this coming Sunday)...
It depends whether they play up and down to their competition. If they don't continue to improve and/or if they play down to the lower teams then we could end up "just short" all year long.

:shrug: depends what happens

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 10:30 AM
It depends whether they play up and down to their competition. If they don't continue to improve and/or if they play down to the lower teams then we could end up "just short" all year long.

:shrug: depends what happens

I'm hoping based on what I saw yesterday that, if Haley has done nothing else, they're going to play with discipline and intensity. If they do that, they at least won't get beat mentally. At that point, it becomes a question of talent and whether the other team will allow themselves to get beat mentally. The Ravens just about did it yesterday. Unfortunately for the Chiefs there's just too much talent on that team for the mistakes to have won out.

That's why this coming weekend is such a big test. The Raiders have more talent than the Chiefs, IMO, especially at the skill positions. They are also the prototypical team that plays to their competition - the penalties, the mental mistakes. And the Raiders don't have enough talent to overcome those mistakes the same way the Ravens do.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I disagree.

I agree with all this Dane...

But once Cassel comes back and gets some time under his belt i think Haley will find a way to improve the offense.

Yesterday they played conservative because of Croyle and the O-line issues.

I doubt Haley will have much patience with LJ either. Haley doesnt strike me as the type to keep trying things that are not working over and over.

I think we should be able to go 3-3 within the weak AFC West. IM still saying 5-11 overall.

underEJ
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
There was an interesting stat that took me by surprise. I knew we turned over alot of people, but 30 out of 53 was higher than I thought, and the fact that only 2 of the 30 are playing on other teams (one being #88) says alot about where the team was at the end of last year.

In this game I saw a team never let up, they just got beat in the end by more talent. Give this group some time, and some more turnover for talent upgrades and it's the right direction.

I will watch this season looking for development of young talented guys, and hope they win the ones they should and steal a couple wins from more talented teams to get some confidence.

Also didn't see one player on the field bent over gasping for air, a vast improvement over New England last year.

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 10:55 AM
There was an interesting stat that took me by surprise. I knew we turned over alot of people, but 30 out of 53 was higher than I thought, and the fact that only 2 of the 30 are playing on other teams (one being #88) says alot about where the team was at the end of last year.

Let's re-evaluate those numbers after this week. Some of those guys that were cut were vested veterans and would have been guaranteed a year's salary if they were signed prior to yesterday.

underEJ
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Let's re-evaluate those numbers after this week. Some of those guys that were cut were vested veterans and would have been guaranteed a year's salary if they were signed prior to yesterday.

Ah, slightly loaded then. That would explain my surprise at it. I'll keep an eye out for movement of the others. Thanks!

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Ah, slightly loaded then. That would explain my surprise at it. I'll keep an eye out for movement of the others. Thanks!

One guy that it doesn't apply to is Bernard Pollard.

That guy was the starting SS until a couple of weeks ago. And now nobody wants him. That's telling.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I think we should be able to go 3-3 within the weak AFC West. IM still saying 5-11 overall.

Honestly, I don't think you can put a "number" on this season's win-loss tally. For all intents and purposes, it's irrelevant this year.

What we need to see week in and week out is a well coached football team that does everything right. We saw a major glimpse of that yesterday.

I don't think Cassel's presence would have been the game changer yesterday, especially considering how well Croyle played in a pinch. As I mentioned in another thread, they need to continue tinkering with their offensive line from center to right tackle. I'd like to see Alleman, Ndudwe and O'Callaghan from center to right tackle. Something must be done in order to give the QB at least another second in the pocket.

And, they just need to keep working hard and continue to buy into what Haley is selling.

The Franchise
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Goff and Niswanger shouldn't be allowed back in the facility after yesterdays game.

stevieray
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
people playing both sides again..

Chiefs suck because the Ravens put up 500 yards of offense..

oh wait, the Ravens played sloppy.....

hilarious.

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Honestly, I don't think you can put a "number" on this season's win-loss tally. For all intents and purposes, it's irrelevant this year.

What we need to see week in and week out is a well coached football team that does everything right. We saw a major glimpse of that yesterday.

I don't think Cassel's presence would have been the game changer yesterday, especially considering how well Croyle played in a pinch. As I mentioned in another thread, they need to continue tinkering with their offensive line from center to right tackle. I'd like to see Alleman, Ndudwe and O'Callaghan from center to right tackle. Something must be done in order to give the QB at least another second in the pocket.

And, they just need to keep working hard and continue to buy into what Haley is selling.

I think the result would have been DIFFERENT with Cassel, but I can't say it would have been better.

Croyle was ultra-conservative. I think Haley might have called a different game with Cassel, and I'm pretty sure Cassel wouldn't have audibled into draws when he didn't like what he saw from the defense.

That being said, a more aggressive offense could have just as easily led to a couple of picks and a 30-point loss as it could have led to a 7-point win.

Reerun_KC
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Thank you!!! Someone FINALLY GETS IT!!!!

This year is all about building a foundation. Likes someone said earlier, Mental toughness... We were so weak the last 3 years and our coaching staff would quit on this team when cornered...

So this is about finding out who can play, who is willing to play and who is the right players Pioli and Haley want. They could go 0-16 or 6-10, who cares? Its about building for the future.

htismaqe
09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Thank you!!! Someone FINALLY GETS IT!!!!

This year is all about building a foundation. Likes someone said earlier, Mental toughness... We were so weak the last 3 years and our coaching staff would quit on this team when cornered...

So this is about finding out who can play, who is willing to play and who is the right players Pioli and Haley want. They could go 0-16 or 6-10, who cares? Its about building for the future.

I don't really see it as finding out who can and/or is willing to play. Most of these guys just aren't talented enough to be long-term starters.

Also, I wouldn't say "foundation" as much as I'd say "culture".

There's still not enough on this term in terms of talent that you can actually build upon. But yeah, we need this year to establish the culture and then finding guys WITH TALENT that fit.

BarrySPAMAID
09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
This article is another terd from a man that is NOT even a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.

TERD.

Simply Red
09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Ah so even if he's fair he can't win.

correct.