PDA

View Full Version : Football Wide Receiver or Corner Back?

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Which position would you rather play and which should I play?

So I’m playing seniors gridiron here in Australia this year. This is the highest level in Australia (which regrettably is not very good at all) and its basically open to 19 years and up. This will be my first year as a senior and I have a choice of which position I play.. In the past I have played more QB than anything but with an already established player at that position I have to choose to play CB or WR. At the moment there are quite a few WRs on the depth chart and I am already behind in regards to practice and learning the playbook, on account of injury. Furthermore there is far less depth at the corner position and if I was to play there I would play almost immediately. However I would much rather play receiver and that it really a much more natural position for me (IMHO).

So Chiefsplanet ballers and coaches what are some of the aspects and positives of each postion and which should i pick?

KCChiefsMan
09-17-2009, 04:00 AM
play right tackle

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 04:02 AM
play right tackle

ROFL

It is the most important postion! / Chiefsplanet

Bane
09-17-2009, 04:51 AM
My vote would have to be corner,but mainly cause I hate wide outs.The only ball I ever played was in high school and I was a fs,and I only played 2 years as I was not good enough,plain and simple.I do however remember putting my helmet into the recievers back or right under his rib cage and knocking his grandmother out of her grave!!Hearing that cry of pain was my favorite part of playing,but now days you gotta pretty much txt or e mail him to let him know your getn ready to eat his lunch when he comes across the middle so playing defense isn't as fun as it used to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 06:04 AM
My vote would have to be corner,but mainly cause I hate wide outs.The only ball I ever played was in high school and I was a fs,and I only played 2 years as I was not good enough,plain and simple.I do however remember putting my helmet into the recievers back or right under his rib cage and knocking his grandmother out of her grave!!Hearing that cry of pain was my favorite part of playing,but now days you gotta pretty much txt or e mail him to let him know your getn ready to eat his lunch when he comes across the middle so playing defense isn't as fun as it used to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yer that is definetly the best part about defense thats for sure! :fire: However much like you say and the state that my back has been in recently im not entirely sure that it would be the best postion for me...

kepp
09-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Corner, no doubt about it.

Iowanian
09-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Can you catch the ball? can you find it quickly while in the air? How are your hips, by that I mean, can you back peddle and turn and maintain balance?

seclark
09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
corner
sec

Lono
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Tough call, do you want to play? Or do you want to try and work your way up and hope to get to play? Can you not do both?

Mr. Laz
09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
I played both in school and cornerback was definitely more fun. Then again i liked to hit people so it's up to you.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Can you catch the ball? can you find it quickly while in the air? How are your hips, by that I mean, can you back peddle and turn and maintain balance?

Yer i can.. Im best once i have the ball in my hands though, and when i played qb i ran as much as i threw... Also im roughly 6-3 so i think im more naturally suited to reciever perhaps... My hips are ok, not great though... If im to play corner i would rely mostly on my speed, reading of the play ability and physicallity.. Could i get by with these traits IYO ?

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:19 AM
I played both in school and cornerback was definitely more fun. Then again i liked to hit people so it's up to you.

:) yer thats always a positive.. My real love is running with th ball however... If i could play any position it would be RB... However as that is not going to happen perhaps wr is the spot for me.. Im still torn however... I do like corner and the fact that i would almost immediately start is a big plus...

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Tough call, do you want to play? Or do you want to try and work your way up and hope to get to play? Can you not do both?

Potentially i could, but i think in the long run they want me to focus on one position, hence why it’s such a big decision... With that in mind i think reciever would be the postion i most want to play and in the long run perhaps if i start there it would benefit me playing there down the line...

ModSocks
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Corner Back has always been my favorite position. I'm so excited now that we have a legitimate CB in Flowers.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Corner, no doubt about it.

corner
sec

Why do you both say this?

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Corner Back has always been my favorite position. I'm so excited now that we have a legitimate CB in Flowers.

Hmm perhaps it comes down to personnel preference... Why do you like corner so much?

Kyle DeLexus
09-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Hmm perhaps it comes down to personnel preference... Why do you like corner so much?

It is about personal preference. If you are ok with working up the depth chart go WR. If you go corner your always going to have the itch to run the ball which might result in going for interceptions when you should just knock the ball down and you could get burned for it.

If you have a choice always go with what you want to do and from what you have stated here, it seems to be WR.

cdcox
09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I like WR because you get to dictate the action (i.e. running the route) instead of just reacting like the corner does. I like the deception that goes into running a good pass route. But if I wasn't extremely sure I couldn't win out a starting spot at WR, I'd probably go for corner so I'd get to play.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
It is about personal preference. If you are ok with working up the depth chart go WR. If you go corner your always going to have the itch to run the ball which might result in going for interceptions when you should just knock the ball down and you could get burned for it.

If you have a choice always go with what you want to do and from what you have stated here, it seems to be WR.

Yer im really tempted to go with my heart on this one... I think your right.. Cheers man!

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I like WR because you get to dictate the action (i.e. running the route) instead of just reacting like the corner does. I like the deception that goes into running a good pass route. But if I wasn't extremely sure I couldn't win out a starting spot at WR, I'd probably go for corner so I'd get to play.

Yer im leaning toward WR for all those reasons... I think i can in time so i may go with WR and see wat happens...

Ecto-I
09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I think you should go WR. It's obvious that's what you REALLY want to do, so you're just gonna have to deal with the consequences of fighting through a lot of competition, and work EXTRA hard to get the ball in your hands!

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I think you should go WR. It's obvious that's what you REALLY want to do, so you're just gonna have to deal with the consequences of fighting through a lot of competition, and work EXTRA hard to get the ball in your hands!

am i that transparent lol.. Cheers man..

Inspector
09-17-2009, 10:04 AM
One of my nephews played football in Australia. Been a couple of years back though.

Are you located anywhere around Townsville?

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Which position would you rather play and which should I play?

I'd rather hit than be hit... but that's just me... I can be a pussy.

MahiMike
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, if you have back issues, I'm not sure how you're gonna do either frankly. Think I'd stick w/backup QB. Unless you're Deion Sanders-like and can pick off any pass in your area.

patteeu
09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Go for what you love, man. WR.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:11 PM
One of my nephews played football in Australia. Been a couple of years back though.

Are you located anywhere around Townsville?

Nice! na afraid not. I live in Adelaide which is down South...

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd rather hit than be hit... but that's just me... I can be a pussy.

Heh. yer hitting can be fun thats for sure.. If i play WR i dont intend to be hit though... Ill just make em miss lol... :)

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, if you have back issues, I'm not sure how you're gonna do either frankly. Think I'd stick w/backup QB. Unless you're Deion Sanders-like and can pick off any pass in your area.

Its getting better so i dont think itll be that big of a problem... I see what your saying though. I wish i could be QB! But they play a more traditonal offense, and im more of a scrambler from the QB postion, so i prob wont fit...

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Yer i can.. Im best once i have the ball in my hands though, and when i played qb i ran as much as i threw... Also im roughly 6-3 so i think im more naturally suited to reciever perhaps... My hips are ok, not great though... If im to play corner i would rely mostly on my speed, reading of the play ability and physicallity.. Could i get by with these traits IYO ?

That makes the decision easy. If you're 6'3", you absolutely should play receiver. Not a lot of 6'3"+ corners out there.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Go for what you love, man. WR.

Yer i think your right.. Im prob going to go for it at WR. Cheers mate!

tyson
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Its getting better so i dont think itll be that big of a problem... I see what your saying though. I wish i could be QB! But they play a more traditonal offense, and im more of a scrambler from the QB postion, so i prob wont fit...

your not any type of QB. Madden doesnt count

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
That makes the decision easy. If you're 6'3", you absolutely should play receiver. Not a lot of 6'3"+ corners out there.

Yer that definitely figures in to my reasoning lol.. ROFL .. I like to consider myself nimble for 6-3 though :)

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
your not any type of QB. Madden doesnt count

Grow a dick and then get back to me.. The only football you play is when you run the FB dive with your mother..

Please fuck of you cum swallowing turd pocket!

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Yer that definitely figures in to my reasoning lol.. ROFL .. I like to consider myself nimble for 6-3 though :)

Ha. Would be nice to be the one rare egg, but I feel like being a corner is almost purely about speed. Because if you're taller than a receiver, you have an advantage over the top, but probably not in terms of speed. And you can get beat in so many ways.

I feel like there are lots of big receivers in the NFL who have no speed, but fare well. Because they're facing up against corners usually 3 or 4 inches shorter. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
You can still get in some great hits if you're a WR. Have your team run a sweep on the first play, and just annihilate one of the OLBs with a crackback. They never see it coming the first time.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Ha. Would be nice to be the one rare egg, but I feel like being a corner is almost purely about speed. Because if you're taller than a receiver, you have an advantage over the top, but probably not in terms of speed. And you can get beat in so many ways.

I feel like there are lots of big receivers in the NFL who have no speed, but fare well. Because they're facing up against corners usually 3 or 4 inches shorter. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Lol the only tall CB i remember playing in the NFL was lenny walls and we all know how that turned out lol :eek: ... Na man you opinion is definitely valuable and i think your right 100% for what its worth...

Fairplay
09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Going out for a pass, catching the ball then getting KO'd would suck.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
You can still get in some great hits if you're a WR. Have your team run a sweep on the first play, and just annihilate one of the OLBs with a crackback. They never see it coming the first time.

ROFL yer i do love doing that.. OR on a qb roll out have him scramble and then come back and blindside the pursuers from down the field.. (not in the back of course...)

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Going out for a pass, catching the ball then getting KO'd would suck.

Yer it does.. but burning em for a td would more than make up for it IMO...

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Thx for the insight guys.. Really appreciate it! Ill let you know how it turns out and if you have any other thoughts please contribute! Cheers!

jidar
09-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Ask your coach where he wants you and do what he says.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Ask your coach where he wants you and do what he says.

Yer great point. However it is apparently up to me so...

bowener
09-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Yer great point. However it is apparently up to me so...

You're 6'3" man, play corner and give the tall WR's a run for their money... plus you love the ball in your hands, as a 6'3" corner you are sure to get some interceptions, and if you are good at it, lots. If you show a knack for the INT and running after the catch, maybe your coach lets you play a little of both... just seems you might have a chance to shine as CB.

I played DE and WR in High school, wanted to be a WR so much more than a DE, but was ultimately better at DE once I gave it a go.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Follow your heart, Dude.

If you feel more comfortable at WR, go for WR.

If you feel more comfortable at CB, go for CB.

If you have a passion for something, anything in life, you're bound to put in your best effort forward and excel.

Good luck and have fun!

Rain Man
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
You should go for whatever makes you happy, though recognizing that corner may give you a better chance to get on the field.

If it was me, I'd be thrilled to play corner. Other than free safety, no position on the field is better than cornerback. There's no better feeling than breaking up what would otherwise be a touchdown, or stepping in front of a receiver to make an interception.

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 11:55 PM
You're 6'3" man, play corner and give the tall WR's a run for their money... plus you love the ball in your hands, as a 6'3" corner you are sure to get some interceptions, and if you are good at it, lots. If you show a knack for the INT and running after the catch, maybe your coach lets you play a little of both... just seems you might have a chance to shine as CB.

I played DE and WR in High school, wanted to be a WR so much more than a DE, but was ultimately better at DE once I gave it a go.

All valid points again! Thx man.. Yer no doubt that if i could get some ints im sure that would sufice my desire to run with the ball... Yer perhaps i should go with what im best at rather than what i want to play... :hmmm: this is turning into a real head scratcher thats for sure...

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Follow your heart, Dude.

If you feel more comfortable at WR, go for WR.

If you feel more comfortable at CB, go for CB.

If you have a passion for something, anything in life, you're bound to put in your best effort forward and excel.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Dane really appreciate it! Gah im so confused! I think ill go out and try both and see which i enjoy more and just go with it, like you say..

Cheers!

Chiefs=Champions
09-17-2009, 11:58 PM
You should go for whatever makes you happy, though recognizing that corner may give you a better chance to get on the field.

If it was me, I'd be thrilled to play corner. Other than free safety, no position on the field is better than cornerback. There's no better feeling than breaking up what would otherwise be a touchdown, or stepping in front of a receiver to make an interception.

Hmmm you have given me a lot more to think about Mr. Rain Man.. It is a great feeling thats for sure... Thx! Your input is truly appreciated!